Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For lack of a better place to ask this, is there any hope for a CD thread? I know the last one petered out relatively quickly, but dammit they're in the sweet spot of being a format just old enough that no cares anymore and they're being dumped cheap everywhere. Plus, I've had a relatively good run of finding decent stuff in the thrift store and, well, there's not really a thread for showing it off like the pick ups in here.

Also thank you vinyl thread for alerting me to the fact that Plantasia got an official re-release. Ordered a CD copy for my filthy plebeian self post haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

I'm an avid thrifter as well and would have a lot of content to show off in a CD thread

You ever come across West Germany or Japan Target CDs (or collect them)?

It shows how much of a noob I am because I had to look up what a target CD is and I don't recall ever having seen a disc with that pattern. Got plenty of late 80s discs, and some even made by WEA, but none of them qualify. Defintely something new to look for at the store though. Lately I've been noticing that there are a lot more desirable artists in the CD section so it feels like the time is right to get into collecting, especially on the cheap at $2 each.

Perhaps a CD thread might work this time, but what would you put in the OP? Besides covering the myriad of technology that you can play a disc on, but I dont even know what the ideal CD set up is other than a sneaking suspicion that sound quality depends more on your speakers than your actual player.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I think you hit on a stumbling block for CDs making a vinyl-style resurgence: A CD player is a CD player. A CD will sound the same played on a $50 (in 1996 dollars) machine as it would on a $5,000 player. There’s limited potential market to sell The Best Laser Eye to rich dads.

If there's ever a resurgence I bet it will pan out much like retro video game collecting has, which is mostly a secondhand market supported by some hyper specific cottage industries and ultimately very, very niche in general. Hopefully it won't follow the pricing trend of old video games as they've gotten so high on the desirable hardware/physical games that it's turned away many people except the diehards that pay no matter what. The principal reasons I get CDs is they're cheap, convenient, and I physically own it. It would suck to lose one of those three reasons. I'll see if I can scrape together a decent OP and stop derailing this thread.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

I'm mostly interested in finding early pressings, loudness war and all, but I have been building a collection of nostalgic 90s staples from my teen years. Every thrift store seems to be a full buffet of 90s CDs.

Speakers mean a lot but the player does too. I have 3 "vintage" players all made in Japan with different DACs and sound. I stick with single disc players because I feel more confident that I can repair them. I had to replace the belts in two of the three, one tip for that is to buy a rubber o ring from the hardware store instead of shelling out 10 times more for a belt on eBay.

I'm not deep into stereo setups but am kinda dimly aware there are some differences in how each player sounds, but I guess I though it wasn't a huge difference between comparable players or could be ironed out by tweaking your speakers. For some reason this reminds me of the article I read where an audiophile tested out the early model PS1 that internet legend supposed to be the secret best CD player ever. The results were as expected: it's no better or worse than any other player of the time. I forget whether the article said the PS1 was a bit on the treble side of things in term of the audio mix.

I prefer 5 disc carousel players even though it's a lot more parts that can break. Good call on the o ring for a belt though, I've had to do that for an 8 track player. Sad thing is I don't really use it even though it's got great and loud speakers for a portable unit, because I'm afraid of the tapes popping at the join and that is a bitchy repair to do. Don't collect 8 tracks. Most of the way through typing up a lovely OP to justify a CD thread, by the way.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I barely collect records at all but when I see an interesting cover cheap I'll pick it up. This is how I wound up with a great condition copy of Triumph's Never Surrender from the thrift store which started my love for that band.

And in case anyone was wondering, yes I rethought it and chickened out on posting a dedicated CD thread. A good chunk of this thread is posting pick ups (which is what I was looking for an excuse to do) and it seemed redundant to have multiple pick ups type threads split along format lines. Do we have a general "check out this weird CD/record/tape I found in a shop" type thread here or no?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

- Promotional copy of Brian May's Star Fleet Project

I am somewhat jealous of this even though I got the Japanese mini LP CD of it. Also that Vincent Price/Patricia Routledge Broadway record sounds drat interesting. More interesting than my attempt to listen to the Addams Family Musical cast recording. I have heard Nathan Lane's voice far too often and it's beginning to wear on me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RC and Moon Pie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoBcw5qcP0&list=PL0zNbFoCrq0Um0Jlbfjzdn0hSrCAxqNza

Here's the soundtrack. Price's singing voice is like you'd expect it to be. Routledge - better known to Americans as Hyacinth Bucket - shows the difference of having someone who knows what she's doing. Not On Your Nellie is pretty fun.

Darling of the Day only made it 31 performances in 1968.

Thanks for this. Yes I am one of those Americans who knows her as Hyacinth Bucket as well. I think I read somewhere that Keeping up Appearances is the BBC's most popular exported show? I bet I can turn on PBS this Saturday and it will be on and probably followed by As Time Goes By. So far I am liking Routledge singing proper (ie not at Emmet) more so than Price's. I forgot that I've heard Vincent Price sing before: his character got a song in Great Mouse Detective.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

In August I picked up 5 West Germany / Japan Target CDs and a few other Japan for US early releases. Also bought my 4th vintage CD player. Yamaha CDX-900 Made In Japan with two Bill Butt DACs one for each channel.

Nice! I have yet to see any target CDs in my travels so most of what I've been picking up is classic rock music and bands that I "missed" and the occasional "this looks interesting let's try it" purchase. Still very much in the honeymoon phase of collecting in that regard, which has led to discoveries such as not really liking Stone Temple Pilots or Queensryche and finding Ozzy's comeback album, Ozzmosis, kinda okay? I guess? The same okayness goes for bands that I never previously heard of like Blue Murder and Modey Lemon. Nothing lately has set my world on fire but I've known for a while that my taste in music is hot garbage anyways. My recent unironic purchase of Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends is proof of that.

Also got new speakers for the JVC player upstairs, but still running a ghetto set up by putting them through the headphone jack. One day I'll get a proper audio reciever.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp it's CDs and not vinyl, but dammit I did way better at the thrift store yesterday than at the record shop:

Guess which pile is which. Of course it mostly boils down to luck, but it was quite frustrating to not be able to find much of what I wanted in the record shops massive CD section.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nail Rat posted:

That's an ECD version of The Numer of the Beast...it'll have a couple of killer 240p videos on it!

Sure is! I grabbed it because it was cheap and well, physically there in front of me. I figured it a good enough intro to Iron Maiden and I can always buy the fancy re-releases later if I like it enough. I think the last time I bothered looking at enhanced CD content was with Disturbed's Believe album and iirc it was little more than direct links to their website. Since then I have never cared about an ECD and I don't think the rest of the world has either.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For a semi serious answer probably foresters and those who enter lumberjack competitions. And an ex of mine who collected chainsaws, though it was mostly a different brand.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I suddenly want a database collecting every example of someone ripping off the pose on Micheal Jackson' Thriller cover. Mostly because I think I remember a young, male, and possibly latin pop singer doing it as well but I don't know if my brain is playing tricks on me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

You're probably thinking of this one, which always gets bandied about on worst-of lists.

Yes, thank you. I was sorta sure the cover got internet famous for being terrible, and I probably did see it on one of those worst of lists years ago. Still curious as to how many people have done that pose to try and sell more albums based on sex appeal I guess?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Still a filthy CD heathen for the most part, but I have them loosely organized by genre with my favorites bubbling up to the top. Definitely considering alphabetical though since all the racks got mixed up recently since space became an issue.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
poo poo I shouldn't have looked at the Record Store Day website, I kind of really need that Parish Hall rerelease now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Now that my situation has changed and I might actually be able to play records, I figure I should properly take care of the ones I already have. To that end does any one have a specific source they like for replacement inner sleeves? I've got a few that are damaged and some straight up missing, if they were ever there in the first place.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for the sleeve suggestions guys, it definitely helped narrow the field down. And of course since I've knuckled under, might as well start with a flashy purchase:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Detective No. 27 posted:

I stopped by Half Price Books today and picked up a Chet Baker album with that 40% coupon today.
Then I went to a St. Vincent De Paul because before I collected records, I remembered they had a shitload of weird records when I went a couple years ago. I got some today. One was an album made to teach people how to type. I also bought an an Up With People album because they are a fascinating cult.

...I left them in my car again.

My dude, you're just gonna have to break down and get a reusable shopping bag to leave in the car and also forget you have it available.

After much twiddling and frantic Googling yesterday I finally was able to play a record! But, I mostly likely need a new needle as the suspension has collapsed due to old age and I haven't yet tested the equally old spare. We'll see if it gets through Lawrence Welk today but I am not holding my breath.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For anyone keeping score, the spare needle did work today, but as expected the suspension/cantilever/whatever is nearly shot on that one too, thus I ordered the well regarded knock off one direct from Japan. Hopefully international mail doesn't get shut down in the meantime. And I bought a repro overhang gauge/cartridge holder for my player just in case it proves to be impossible to get needles for a cart from 1978 in the future.

Shouldn't really being running records anyways since they're mostly dirty as hell thrift store finds and the record washer ain't here yet.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Is it belt drive? Because those belts will melt into goo after several years. It's no problem though, all you need to do is get a new belt which is something like five bucks and clean off the goo with rubbing alcohol and you're goo to go.

Um er.... what does the belt drive have to do with the needle retracting so far into the cart that the cart is dragging on the record? Other than this happening my sacrificial record played perfectly. Hell even the lightly scratched up 7 inch worked fine.

Oh now I get it, it's the comment about my filthy records. Most of the crap I have acquired is from the thrift store and some are very noticeably dirty and I would not, and have not, put them on the table. I was just frustrated that I can't give them a proper clean yet because my order of poo poo hasn't come.

edit: Good lord I am definitely a record player noob, I'm currently using my dad's Dual 721 which it turns out is a direct drive table anyways. Thanks Google!

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 16, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

Every record in my collection is secretly Chuck Mangione's Feels So Good.

Don't joke, I live at the source for Chuck Mangione. I could probably get you his entire vinyl discography just by going to the thrift stores if they were, you know, open right now.

On the bright side besides the Acid Nightmares compilation arriving yesterday my co-worker very nicely gave me some of his classic rock records. On the downside my needle's still pretty well shot and my replacement ordered from Japan ain't gonna arrive anytime soon. Also poking at 1970s era audio equipment that hasn't moved since the 90s has opened a whole :can:. The receiver has gone from fine to developing a 60 cycle hum to nearly dying/losing the amplifier last night. Further poking has brought it back but half the speakers are dead essentially making it mono.

It feels like the universe is punishing me for giving in and trying to play records.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

My birthday was Monday and considering Wisconsin shut down Tuesday at 5 PM, I got it in just under the wire. My last birthday drink was with a friend at the bar they work at at 4:58 Tuesday....

Mad jealous on this alone. My birthday's tommorow and it's effectively been cancelled.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Happy birthday buddy, i’ll spin a CD or three in your name tomorrow :cheers:

Haha, awesome thanks!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hey CDs are great too! :colbert: Besides we could be talking about the devils own format:

And also it was a birthday miracle you guys:

(receivers still being a bitch though)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

Well, I'm trying to catalog all the albums I've bought in the past 6 years in discogs. Apparently within that timeframe, it seems every discogs release page has 100 new variants listed. No, I'm not reading the runout grooves on everything to figure out if it's a Pitman press or a Santa Maria press. Just point me to the most popular US original pressing so I can get a better idea of the value. :mad:

I swear six years ago when I did this, the only albums that had that detailed of listings were things like Pink Floyd or the Beatles. Now it's every random record I pull out.

I just got into buying records and started a discogs account on a friends suggestion and yeah, even slogging through reading all the run out codes on a mere 50ish records was a huge pain in the rear end. What's great is when your run out code doesn't exist, or side A and side B codes are listed under 2 different variants. I'm sure the proper thing is to add to an existing variant or make a new one, but then I'm part of the problem. And then there's this guy where it seems like he made a variant just to make his pressing of a common record appear to be that much more desirable. Plus the bar code scanner is not a help for records, it dumps you at the master listing and you still have to manually pick through the variants. Works great for CDs though. Very rarely did it inexplicably fail there, though apparently Bang by Rockapella does not exist in the database? I find this hard to believe.

Regarding Listzomania, I feel like it's probably best to warm up by watching Tommy first. Which I plan to do at some point, and hell to wrap it back to vinyl I even got the Tommy movie soundtrack in a lot of The Who records I bought recently. One way or another I'll hear what it's like to have other people sing those songs.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I spent the weekend ripping CDs and manually tagging hundreds of tracks that had to be edited from Japanese to English, and I’m not even quite halfway done. Some data entry won’t kill you.

What else are you doing right now?

Honestly? I still have a job to go to. Also doing a bit of guitar practice to take my mind off things. I generally don't mind repetitive tasks but it feels like there must be a better way to look at all this data on variants. I keep having to open and check every US listing with the same catalog number as my record, scrolling down to look in the description notes for the run out codes to see if they match, and then move on to the next if they don't.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could see all the run out codes for a given year, country, or catalog on one page (with a click to add button next to it) instead of a billion tabs open to a billion individual webpages.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Where are you guys seeing it? I can only locate one DVD release from another country, and it isn’t streaming on Netflix or Hulu. I wanna see the weird dong film :(

I think its on YouTube as one of those pay us 3 bucks to watch it rental dealies. Probably also on Amazon Prime. I just bought the Warner Archive DVD from Amazon because I am a physical media whore and it sandwiches nicely between Tommy and Quadrophenia on the shelf.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

My Lovely Horse posted:

Think you can just take that for granted all around in here

Well you never know some one may get all weird about it, collecting records but not seeing the point in having DVDs or some such even though the argument is the same. I know! Let's head this silliness off at the pass by bringing both worlds together and try to make the CED format a thing again!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Eh at least you're not me cursing the fact that the Windwaker soundtrack is like $40 now. Something about that price for a CD makes me hesitate, maybe its because I'm so used to the bulk of things on the format being cheap or like $16 new.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Just buy it, it’ll make you happy and one day you could sell it for $80.

I also have a bunch of them from the old days, collectively worth a couple hundred dollars, but I’m stupidly attached to them and don’t really think it’s worth the trade to sell them.

I wish I had had the foresight to buy the DKC Trilogy back then. I know it looks like speculative pricing, but I’ve actually seen copies go for $1-2k. That would be worth letting go of, that’s a goddamned transmission.

Game nerds have more money than sense.

Nice collection, I had no idea so many game soundtracks were put out on disc in the 90s. If only I wasn't trying to keep the packages coming to the house at a minimum/curbing extraneous expenses given the current crisis. Though knowing me I'll keep an eye on ebay and the like until some one puts one up for cheap, or is willing to work on a best offer.

And yeah game nerds do have more money than sense, I'm waiting for the day the retro game market crashes, hopefully not before I can sell off the poo poo I'm not attached to though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Giga Gaia posted:

I bought a Zelda import CD over a decade ago and all 71 track names are still in Japanese. Props for having the energy.

poo poo I bought an import CD of Tokyo Ska Paradise like two weeks ago and half the tracks are still in Japanese and most of the meta data is reduced to question mark characters filling the void. My digital music organization would make all you data entry types weep tears of blood.

And to return to an earlier topic I just finished the one two punch of Tommy and Lisztomania. Tommy was fine, a little heavy handed at points but whatever. Lisztomania started alright but descended into irredeemably stupid about 3/4th of the way through and I can see why many cite it as what killed the director's career. Kinda a shame as there aren't many enfant terrible style directors left to give us weird art films but when they're as broken as this one...yeesh. Pope Ringo was a delightful bonus though. Currently listening to the soundtrack on it's own, I figure it will go better without the garbage visual metaphors to distract me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LastGoodBoy posted:

I'm not big into vinyl, but I am big into collection physical media in general. Got this guy in the mail today after like a month of waiting.

What's the over/under on them being named after this song?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

LastGoodBoy posted:

I would ask, but I forgot how to get a hold of him.

I would say reasonable odds just based on watching this, though.

Pretty sure Urusei Yatsura can be blamed for vapor wave videos using any old 80s anime clip as filler as it's peak 1980s Japan and had pop singers perform and do the intro/outro songs for the show. It's nice pop music anyways which is why I imported a CD of it myself.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ah yes, the band that makes trying to find music from the show a pain in the rear end. Though I shouldn't be so down on them, here's Rival Schools the band as well. Used to own the debut CD, United by Fate, but got rid of it long ago.

At long last my reciever works again, so I can finally listen to records! Except it went right back to dragging the cartridge on the record again, so I got pissed and put an ortofon red in there. Thank you dad, for buying a decent record player in 1978 that can take most cartridges made. Been currently listening to my thrift store buying mistakes of yore, but Gabor Szabo's Magical Connection turned out to be a pleasant change (and cheaper than Dreams).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

But think of how much you can inflate the prices of these records on eBay if most people are afraid to leave the house!

We'll be lucky if this is over by fall never mind August. They're also saying that there could be a second outbreak in the winter during flu season. But it'll all be worth if I can buy a fifty dollar reissue of some classic rock album!

But but but the Odds and Sods re-release has a bonus extended cut of my favorite song! :saddowns: We'll have to wait and see how the whole covid thing shakes out when it gets closer to Record Store Day, but it has made me rethink how much do I reeeeeeally want that Parish Hall reissue, especially since I already got a decent boot CD of it. Sucks because this was the first year I was going to attend it.

Speaking of, new stuff!

I finally got the Windwaker Soundtrack CD, and chose this one over the Windwaker HD Sound Selection version from Club Nintendo for a couple of reasons. First the above one is two discs of all the game music including little 10 second clips like item fanfares and such whereas the the Sound Selection is just that: a curated collection of the longer songs of the game. Secondly a big US based eBay seller happened to have this new at the magic $40 price point. A good thing since word on the street is Japan has temporarily suspended EMS shipping to America so importing stuff will be a bigger pain for a while.

And as a bonus I now have this guy to stare at me from the shelf:

I like this silly cover art way too much.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Oh hey, have you seen Lisztomania? If you like Roger Daltrey you'll love that movie.

I finally did see it and I did not like it actually, Tommy the movie is way better. Largely didn't like Lisztomania because it went way off the rails in like the last quarter and the writing wasn't great to begin with. The acting however was fine, including from Daltrey himself, so I blame Ken Russell's script. Still nabbed a copy of the soundtrack on vinyl though and am kinda hoping it works out like the soundtrack to Flash Gordon in that it's better without the movie in front of you as a distraction. Pope Ringo was a brilliant idea though, makes me laugh a bit when I think about it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

You are the President of Wrongsylvania because Flash Gordon rules.

Guess I'll have to be, that movie was played too straight for my tastes, sorry.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Rick Wakeman didn't really like the final product, it seems, and released one of the rear end ugliest album covers to be found of his own version, based on master tapes he found in his garage.

I thought the link was going to be this cover which is almost as ugly. I thought about getting his more complete CD version but it can be a bit difficult to find, and I'm not in the mood to import at the moment, so I opted for the more available original record.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

That movie was absolutely not played straight. It's campy as gently caress and most of the actors look like they're having a good time particularly Max Von Sydow (who outright said he took the role because it would be fun), Timothy Dalton, and Brian Blessed.

We apparently are polar opposites when it comes to this stuff and will never agree lol. My problem is I wanted more campiness out of it, I wanted something more than just a perfect remake of a slightly dull 1930s scifi film serial. It feels so restrained to me, like a higher up told them they couldn't be tongue in cheek/have jokes/poke fun etc, that it had to be a "serious" film. poo poo, I had even thought that Brian Blessed was the only one who got it and was having fun with it, but it could be his wild scene chewing and slight over acting compared to everyone else.

The Flash Gordon soundtrack is still a worthwhile listen though. Football Fight is one of my favorite songs from it, and due to owning the fancy rear end box set, I can be a hipster douche and slightly prefer the earlier version that has normal piano instead of synthesizer.

Um let's see vinyl content.... I got my obligatory laser etched copy of True Colors by Split Enz coming in the mail. Lot's of conflict and confusion on the internet as to what releases have this feature though. First google result is a forum thread where some people feel that laser etched blank sides don't count and that modern hologram etchings don't count either as it's a different process or something. I think everything that uses this particular effect (rainbow-y, reflective, and on playable sides) is the Split Enz single from this album, Styx - Paradise Theater, and the Superman II soundtrack.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The revamped RSD list is up for those interested:

https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/572

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hey I got a delivery today too:

Extremely hyped since this is my first video game soundtrack on vinyl, and I no longer have to regret passing it up at a flea market a few years back.