Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
After my dad died i inherited his 90s Kenwood, which i used for a time. Then i came across a Pioneer SX680 at half price books for $200 and grabbed it.

I think it sounds better, though i couldn't put into words why. It definitely looks better and is more pleasing to use.

I like vintage stuff, and tend to like vintage Kenwoods over anything. I don't really have strong opinions on any of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

thathonkey posted:

i have a random question does anyone happen to have tool - aenima on lp? i got a copy that is some kind of bootleg (judging by the price at least i think it must be). anyway it sounds kinda disappointing to my ear (overall quiet but especially lacking bass it seems :confused:) i was just wondering what other versions are like or if the mix on this album just sucks and ive never noticed

edit; i just compared it to my copy of undertow and wow this (bootleg?) aenima sounds like assssssss to the degree i did not even know was possible. oh well

I think I have the same bootleg and yeah I'm pretty sure it's made from the CD, poorly. Undertow sounds amazing, so does Opiate. Aenima doesn't sound good at all. One of these days I'm hoping they repress Aenima.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone in here have multiple setups? I have my one single turntable up in my living room hooked up to my tv receiver, but i feel like I want to stick another one back in my office/gamer zone too, because I'd absolutely listen to more records that way. Is this total stupidity? I mean it is, but like, I'm sure people have done it. It's nice right?

I have my vintage system in the basement - actually two systems. One has a Pioneer SX680 and my turntable, the other has a bunch of 90s stuff with a CD player and tape deck connected. I have a third system in my basement for my TV and videogames - that's a modern 5.1 setup.

In my bedroom I have a modern turntable with built-in amp and a couple of Edifier bookshelf speakers. It doesn't have the punch that my basement system has, but it still sounds good.

So technically four systems, two of which can play vinyl.

Oh, and I bought that copy of Pinkerton posted recently. It's a good album.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Equipmentchat:

I picked up an Amber Model 17 preamp at Goodwill today for $9.99. I had a gift card that I had to use by Wednesday, so I didn't mind taking a risk on it. Doing some research, it seems like it's a pretty high quality unit, even audiophile quality.

I'm not sure how to use it though... I currently have an old Pioneer SX680, which isn't exactly high wattage, and I don't really think I need a preamp going into this amp (educate me if I'm wrong, though!)

It powers on, but I haven't plugged it into anything yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!