Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It'll probably be identical to the limited release of RSD, making the people that paid far out the rear end for it seem like even bigger dupes. It wasn't even numbered or anything.

Anyone who paid far out the rear end for it was an idiot to begin with, because they announced a June 14th release in the US/Canada/W.A.S.T.E. store before RSD even happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I picked up a couple Miles Davis LPs today. Tribute to Jack Johnson for 5bux and Live-Evil for 15. However I'm not that seasoned, so can anyone tell me the deal with Quadrophonic LPs? Live-Evil is one, and I'm curious if that's a good or bad thing.

Depends on what kind of quadraphonic format the record is in. A cursory search showed that it's probably SQ Quad, which means it will play back in stereo for you.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

Haha, lyrics by Van Dyke Parks.

not sure what's funny about that-- his lyrics for Smile are some of the most incredible stuff ever written for rock n' roll music.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

Right, this is going to be a really stupid post but maybe some people ITT can help me out here. Just what the gently caress are vinyl records and how on earth do they work? The entire concept and idea is just sort of beyond me, when I look at a record and the pin on the player and everything it just doesn't make sense. I get that it's all bumps and grooves and vibrations or whatever but seriously wtf. Please explain for I am a simpleton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#Structure

chime_on fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 19, 2011

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

They are one of my faves but they always play really eccentric venues. I had a ticket to see them but it was at an all ages (no drinking) venue and it was in Chapel Hill on Halloween, meaning there would be nowhere to park.

I really want to see them but I think all the venues in Raleigh aren't low key enough.

Nightlight has a full bar, for future reference.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how a European such as myself can file a complaint against a webshop? BurntToastVinyl has been screwing around with me for months and I'm fed up.

Who exactly are you looking to file a complaint with? If you bought something from them and they didn't ship it or something like that, reverse the charges with your credit card provider.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

WASDF posted:

Anyone know if the Disc 2 of the In Rainbows Special Edikon was ever put on Vinyl? I'd love to have songs like MK2, Last Flowers, Down is the New Up and Bangers and Mash on Vinyl. Some of my favorite Radiohead songs.

No, it wasn't.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Okay, so I kind of want to piggyback on the discussion started by Crumbles.

I've been buying records for almost 20 years now, and my collection is in the high hundreds to low thousand range. I've got a bunch of stuff that isn't available on CD or even as vinyl rips online. I'd like to start digitizing some of these records for my own personal use on my mp3 player. My rips so far aren't quite satisfactory, though, so I'd like some advice.

My gear is
turntable: Gemini XL-500
cart: Stanton RS500 DJ
preamp: Realistic SA-150 (I think this is the weak link/problem)
audio interface to PC: Presonus Firepod

Not archival level or audiophile stuff, obviously, but in actual practice, the Gemini and Stanton through the Realistic sound pretty fantastic when fed into my Denon AVR-1610 and Infinity SM-125s. It's kind of a Frankenstein system but it's totally adequate for my listening needs.

So the rips that I've done sound "all right," I suppose, but there just seems to be so much gain on the recordings and I can't figure out why. Like, in between songs and in quiet passages, you can hear the sound of the needle dragging in the groove, and the needle even picked up my dog barking at the end of a record.

After reading Ron Burgundy's post, out of curiosity I flipped the switch on the Realistic from MAG to CER, and it actually dropped the gain a bit, but it did so at the expense of the high end-- the record sounded almost muffled.

Basically I'm wondering why the sound coming out of my Denon isn't quite the same as the sound going into my Firepod. Is it possible that the Realistic doesn't have attenuation for the RIAA curve on its output, but the Denon does on its input? If that's the case, can I EQ my vinyl rip WAVs with the RIAA curve for a more satisfying sound?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like some suggestions or observations. I've heard some great vinyl rips, so maybe my standards are too high for my equipment?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

Just to double check, on the Firepod you're using one of the ports 3-8 set at line level, and not one of the mic inputs, correct?

You want the preamp set to magnetic rather than ceramic in your case.

Wow, you know what? I only ever use the Firepod to record bands, and so I didn't even realize that there was a difference between the first 2 inputs and the last 6-- 1 and 2 are always the kick and snare mics.

I hooked in through 3 and 4, and the signal was much cleaner and less gainy. Thanks for that heads up.

However, I still didn't think it sounded quite right, and I found a discussion on the SA-150 on some audio forum where someone mentioned that they had seen the schematics of the unit back in the day, and that Tandy actually never put any EQ compensation in for the magnetic cartridge. I found a VST plugin that applies the RIAA curve, stuck it on the master bus, and (after much A/Bing from the record to the Firepod in my monitors) tweaked the EQ so that they sound drat near identical. I just made my first vinyl rip that actually sounds really good.

I have a huge stack of library records and BBC Radiophonic Workshop stuff just waiting to be ripped now.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I guess it all depends on what you're buying and how much the label feels like gauging you? I recently bought a 4 LP set of Daphne Oram recordings for $47. For me to drop that much on a double LP, it had better be fetish-object style packaging or something.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

When I saw them at Hopscotch people talked the whole fuckin time :(

In defense of the crowd, Earth were boring as poo poo compared to the other bands that played before them at Kings that night.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

edit: VVV maybe they should have left :)

I mean, that's what I did. It was a poor scheduling call by the festival, I think-- maybe old-school Earth would have fit the lineup that night, but after the intensity and dynamics of Liturgy, they just sounded puny.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Factory posted:

unfortunately I also got a email from Paypal saying that they were permanently closing my account earlier this week, so no Ebay purchases.

just curious, why would they do that? I use paypal a lot, so it's concerning to think of them closing my account. You can spare the details if you'd like, but was it for something you deserved?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
From what I can tell, it was only available through his website, and limited to 500 copies. There's one for sale on discogs. http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=3187612&ev=rb

Edit: actually, it's still available from Tommy Boy.http://shop.tommyboy.com/artists.asp?page=releases&Artist_ID=461&Release_ID=580

chime_on fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 13, 2012

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Everyone's questions about Blue Monday might be answered by Peter Saville tomorrow:

http://www.factmag.com/2012/02/29/radio-4-investigate-the-12-inch-single-peter-saville-talks-blue-monday/

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

What kind of good stand-up is out there on vinyl? I've looked at Stand-Up Records (and I just ordered both of their Patton Oswalt albums), and I know there's a few other mainstream guys (Aziz Ansari, at least) who have been releasing stuff on vinyl.

Woody Allen's album Standup Comic is usually kicking around for cheap, and very replayable and funny. It's a 2 LP compilation of stuff from the early 60s.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, it is loving impossible to get a copy of The Caretaker's An Empty Bliss Beyond This World on vinyl.

I don't care if it's an original, a reissue or a re-reissue, I just want it on vinyl :(

There are a couple on discogs right now.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Surfingelectrode posted:

Numero Group has some really cool releases planned for RSD:

hahaha.

Their RSD release last year was very good, though. One of the reasons I can't truly hate RSD is that every year for at least the last 3 years, there have been some outstanding records released.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

theradiostillsucks posted:

Forget RSD jokes, when are Numero's Codeine reissues coming out?

...May 22?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's no record stores left in Savannah (I think) and I just need one more sealed ELO album (ELO II) to complete my collection. I've yet to see one on ebay or even GEMM.

Don't the Graveface guys have a store there? I would assume they have cool stuff.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I'm pretty sure Invada is Geoff from Portishead/Beak>'s label. It's probably a one or two man operation... you guys keep talking trash on them in this thread, but whatever. They're a cool label and I have a bunch of records they've put out. All of the really great stuff on the Drive soundtrack has already been released for a while. If you're massive Cliff Martinez fans or something, I guess I can understand the rage, but the Johnny Jewel stuff was better IMO.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't think you get where the annoyance with Invada is coming from (hint: it's not because we can't get our hands on the Drive OST right this second)

Apologies if it's some meta joke that's going over my head. There have just been a ton of posts about this in the last couple of weeks, and the record is still 2 months away from being released.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Terminally Bored posted:

White wanted the production credits on the reissues all to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records back in the day. And he lost. What a douche.

I think you've got this turned around. Jim Diamond took Jack White to court over ownership of the master recordings because he didn't get paid any royalties for the first two records, even after the Stripes became a gravy train. Diamond lost the suit.

I was rooting for Jim in that because he's a great guy and a really important figure in Detroit music in the 90s/00s, but I don't and can't know the specifics behind their business deal. It seems more likely to me that Jack White is a greedy egomaniac, but that may be just because I don't like the White Stripes.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

cheapandugly posted:

Coil - Gold is the Metal

Does it have the 45 with it?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The only way discogs gets better, though, is if you help. Seems like just 5 years ago, it was almost all electronic music on there.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

CPL593H posted:

From my experience (and from what a postal worker actually told me) people spend the extra money for priority because is risky with shipping records. Priority mail involves much less handling of the package and media mail involves a bunch of poo poo getting slammed around.

I used to work as a mail handler in a USPS Processing and Distribution Center, and I can tell you that this is inaccurate. All mail, regardless of type, enters the P&DC and gets dumped onto a conveyor belt, where mail handlers separate it out by class, size, etc. Everything from bulk rate (junk mail) to registered mail is getting dumped together and tossed into different bins.

Priority Mail and Media Mail only really differ in that Priority Mail has a deadline every night where it has to be fully sorted by zip code so that it can make the appropriate truck that will take it to the part of the country it needs to go to. Media Mail doesn't have that deadline, so it tends to sit around for whatever period of time it takes to either get around to it, or to fill up the bin/hamper/cage that's being used to hold it.

As overall mail volume has dropped in the last 10-15 years, Media Mail has gotten a lot faster, since there's more time to get around to it.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Aerobic Robot posted:

i bought black elvis/lost in space by kool keith and i found out that it's actually a first pressing misprint. i cant find out much about this other than that some other people have this same misprint. anyone know how much it might be worth?

Looks like around $5.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I'll go ahead and put out there that imo you have to have lousy taste in music if there's not at least ONE Record Store Day thing that looks appealing to you. For the last few years, there have always been in the neighborhood of 5-10 exclusives that have been totally worth braving the insanity at the stores.

I can totally agree with the sentiment that RSD kind of sucks overall, and that it's more of a hassle for someone who's in stores multiple times a week to have to deal with the madness, but I guarantee you that the shop owners dig RSD because the cash registers go k-ching all day long. Anyone who works at a shop that has a bad attitude about it is probably either a lazy employee or else an owner frustrated about the limited nature of the releases. Without the limited releases, though, would there be a line around the block on Saturday?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Farts Domino posted:

What an asinine comment. There is ONE item this year that does look attractive to me (the Martian Denny Orchestra released by Sundazed) but SO MANY of the releases are either reissues that some people would rather have the original copy of (often because it's super easy to find the original copy), overpriced first edition vinyl releases of things already released on CD, expensive B-sides from modern indie groups, or otherwise generally pretty mainstream stuff. Even the vaguely interesting items are usually at a price premium that makes me shrug it off.

Vinyl for me is about exploring new sounds by finding obscure things I know nothing about for cheap...

I'm not saying that you're collecting records the wrong way if you don't also hate record store day, but don't make blanket judgements about my taste when you don't know how I enjoy my music.

Seriously not being a smartass here, but you came at me a little hard for someone who seemed to agree with me. There is something that appeals to you on the RSD list-- that doesn't mean you have to go out and buy it or that I think you're "doing it wrong," just that they do have poo poo out there that caters to pretty much all tastes.

Regarding your point about discovering new things for cheap-- there are ALWAYS budget label comps on RSD from all kinds of labels. That's generally what I'm grabbing on RSD-- 4AD, Finders Keepers, Numero Group, Thrill Jockey, Sacred Bones, and Mute have all had incredible releases in the last couple few years.

Obviously 95% of what's out that day is nonsense, but that's pretty much how the record business is all year long.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Crimson Sox posted:

That's pretty cool. Would love to see what he had in his collection.
Also, thousands of records :stare:

There are probably quite a few people who post in this thread who have thousands of records. I consider my collection a little idiosyncratic and on the small side, and I have thousands of records.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

David Bowie - Outside got a re-release on vinyl. That rules.

Info on this? The whole album was never released on vinyl back in the 90s, just a compilation of some of the tracks. If the whole thing is out, I'd love to track it down.

edit: it's just a reissue of Excerpts from Outside, the edited down version of the album. Still maybe worth a purchase since it appears the originals are stupid expensive now, but that version removes some of the best songs on the album ("No Control," "Through These Architect's Eyes," "Strangers When We Meet") and edits down some of the tracks like "The Motel." Kind of annoying that they would reissue it but not do it right.

chime_on fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 11, 2012

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I'm about to try the glass and sun method this weekend, since we're expecting triple-digit temperatures here. I got a record in the mail a month or so ago that was just hosed. The package looked like it had been bent in half somewhere in transit between Manchester and the US, and stayed in that position for a couple of weeks.

The record was a limited edition of 30 copies, so I have no chance of getting another unless I want to pay out the rear end. It won't play at all as it is-- no harm in trying to melt it a little.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
One of the pieces of glass I'm going to use is the top of my coffee table, which is too big to fit in the oven. I drat near shattered it on the kitchen floor on a previous attempt at this.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, I mean, like I said, it's a private press record-- I'm looking at spending an easy $100 at least for another copy. It's ruined, so I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot. Groove distortion I can live with, but right now the tonearm won't even lay flat on the record with the turntable stopped.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, they gave me my money back, but they don't have anymore copies of the wax.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

david puddy posted:

I have a question about slipmats. One of my recent purchases came with a felt slipmat, and I'm basically just wondering if I'm doing my records any favours by putting them on the felt instead of the rubber that was already on the turntable.

As far as I know, slipmats are pretty much for cueing and beatmatching while DJing. I've never had one on any of my turntables over the last 20 years.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

Do you just place records straight on the metal platter?

I was referring to the felt slipmats that puddy mentioned which sit on top of the rubber mat.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

trdn89 posted:

Try to seek out a copy of Music For 18 Musicians if you can; there are people who will tell you that the side-flip ruins the flow of the piece but those people are incandescently wrong.

I've never heard it on vinyl, but I can't imagine a fade in/out is necessarily BENEFICIAL to the piece.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

dutch wife abc posted:

Thanks a lot for this, grabbing it right away. Will be the closest thing I'll get to a Coil LP before the supposed reissues show up. I am NOT paying 100+ bucks for a used copy... Yet

What supposed reissues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Someone stole my copy of Geogaddi about 6 years ago, and I really miss it. I bought it when it came out, and had no idea how expensive it had become on the secondary market until I went looking to replace it.

You've got to open it so you can appreciate the etching, at least.