Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My family has at least 2 really fancy linear-arm turntables chilling at home, one of which is a B&O make. A goon once described it at looking like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey. In addition, my father has collected loving boxes upon boxes of records, pretty much all LPs but with some little gems thrown in, like promo copies of singles from J&R and even a couple of little squares of singles that came out of Guitar World magazines back in the day.

I've managed to add a modest collection of my own to the mix, especially given that I listen to screamo/hardcore stuff which is still actually released on vinyl as a primary format. One time I bought a 5" record at a show and only just barely stopped my dad from cramming it into the CD player in our car when I showed it to him. I guess the fact that it was translucent blue didn't tip him off to the fact that it wasn't actually a CD.

I guess the point I'm trying to make with these lovely, meandering stories it that vinyl is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Thanks Panic Records!

That's pretty drat swell. Apparently I used to live with the sister of TSL's drummer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is the vinyl thread, those stories are definitely not lovely nor meandering here :unsmith:

Aw, shucks. Here's a picture of a record and a shotgun! They're kind of thematically linked!

I also have a Genghis Tron Cloak of Love 10" picture disc which really blew some 15 year olds minds when I got on the train with it coming home.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BigHustle posted:

I always assumed the opposite, that the record shop owners and deejays would be more likely to take better care of their albums.

I think it's more a practical matter in that the DJs had to play that song a lot for their setlists.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So the [Pias] warehouse was burned to the ground in the riots in England.

Apparently some of the labels they did distribution for are reporting 90%+ loss of their stock and it may actually put some of them under.