Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharredBronson
Jan 22, 2004

I've been scouring craigslist for a while, looking for a decent used turntable.

I nearly jumped on a questionable Dual 1019 on a junky plinth, untested, with no cartridge for $100. Then I thought about it a little bit, and realized that I don't care enough to deal with the dumb thing if it breaks on me. I was all aboard the cheap 70s turntable bandwagon, but I think in the long-run, reliability is what would make me happiest.

That lead me to looking at a 1200, because I've used them in the past, they're built like freaking tanks, and parts (that I probably won't need) are easy to come by. My issue is price. Finding one under $400 bucks in decent condition seems to be challenging (in the NYC area at least). I guess demand has gone up since they stopped making them or something.

Then I landed on the ATLP120, which I guess LOOKS like a 1200, but is way cheaper. Not being an audiophile in any sense of the word, and being the type of person that will likely only listen to the odd 7" or special edition only available on vinyl, am I really going to notice much of a difference? I'd just be hooking the thing up to a Pioneer 1018AH-K, which is more of a home theater unit than anything, and have no plans of ever messing with an analog unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharredBronson
Jan 22, 2004

Ended up jumping on one last night, grabbed a shure m97xe to go with it. 5 grams on the stylus seems a little ridiculous. I've read of some people having success with dialing it down to 2, but I'd rather have a proper hifi cart anyway.

CharredBronson
Jan 22, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

5g? Where'd you get that? Even whitelabels max tracking is 3g. I have a M97xE on one of my tables and have it ~1.25g. The specs from Shure are 0.75 - 2g:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/tech_pubs/@global_managed/documents/webcontent/us_pro_m97xe_ug.pdf

I was talking about the cartridge/stylus that comes with the deck, I guess I wasn't particularly clear there. I meant to say that I was buying the m97xe because the stock cart is kind of horrible.

From the manual:

Audio Technica posted:

Cartridge Specifications (ATP-2)
Frequency response 15 – 22,000 Hz
Channel separation 23/17 (dB at 1 kHz/10 kHz)
Vertical tracking force 3.0 – 5.0 grams
Stylus construction Bonded round shank
Output 5.3 mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec
Channel balance 1.5 dB
Stylus shape 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical
Cantilever Alloy tube
Mount Half-inch

I think it's intended for scratching, or possibly for installing it in off-road vehicles.