Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I'm under the impression that clubs down here don't have their own turntables but I can look around and check it out. Either way, I've already gotten people urging me to play, say, at their ice cream shop or beach party, and as a gear nut I don't really mind dropping a little bit extra.

Those tips are great. I mean, they all seem kind of obvious, but as you're suggesting, I'll probably gloss over the obvious and make an rear end out of myself

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Well there we go, thanks Maguro

Funeral Pudding, I was thinking of going new just so I'd have a nice un-hosed set rather than the high likelihood that I would try to wing it with a broken-to-everybody-but-me setup, have it nice and pristine. I do tend to like and trust vintage TTs a little more in build quality (despite the fact that I use AT-PL120s every week) and they're a little more fun looking, so maybe I'll call up contacts and see if they can give me a hand, otherwise I'll probably just go new. But the cart recommendation is good, I like all the Stanton stuff I've used so far.

Any coffin recommendations?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Tiny Faye posted:

In New Orleans for a business trip and made a pit stop at Louisiana Music Factory. Definitely one of the best shops I've ever been too. A must for jazz and soul - ok enough rock section. But what I really dug their good selection of local stuff. I went there after I made a stop at Peaches and just found their prices way too high for my blood - decent selection though. Ended up picking up a copy of Quintron and Miss Pussycat's Swamp Tech for 15 bucks, which rules because I remember finding in the Newbury Newbies in Boston for twice that much.
Unfortunately his new album is always twice that much from what I can tell. Add Euclid to Maguro's list and you have completed the list of necessary record stores in New Orleans.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I personally wouldn't recommend getting too wrapped up in what receiver/amplifier or even cartridge you buy. It absolutely will affect the sound that you get in the end, but both are such wide-open categories with so few absolutes because of how subjective sound quality is (especially with receivers since cartridges generally have well-notated frequency response ranges etc.) that I would recommend getting what you can and slowly upgrading from there. Those two, along with your speakers, will all have an effect on the sound that comes out and there's no definitive way to say that what you get in the end will be the "best" sound.

So just get yourself what you need to get your recordings making racket, guess at where to go from there if you even feel that you need to

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

...and now I'm looking for it, too. See you in the ring, chump.
hahaha I was kind of thinking the same but that's not what I need right now

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Ok, so is there anything you would recommend instead? I'm really trying to keep under $100 here, which I understand is going to severely limit my quality, but grad school is, sadly, severely limiting my cashflow. And in the meantime I have all these records I want to listen to!

I've thought about buying used through eBay, but two problems come up. The first is that I really don't know poo poo about record players, so I doubt my ability to pick which listing is worth my cash. The second is that every piece of electronics I've bought from eBay turned out to be broken, incorrectly identified, or both and had to be returned.

I'd rather buy used locally, but so far I've been unable to find a market in which to do so.
Where do you live? Going for a vintage cheap player is definitely better. You'd be surprised how well you might do if you go on Craigslist and search for turntable in the garage sales category on a Saturday

I've seen this recommended before, I've never actually seen it in person though so this is a pretty weak vouch. http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLTTB1-Professional-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00009V3TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317846424&sr=8-1

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

milk teeth posted:

if it ain't a technics, type the name of the deck and ' site:audiokarma.org ' into google and get learned. happy hunting.
good advice. Audiokarma's recs will probably land more on the side of good than "good enough" but most decent turntables will have been talked about at some point on that site

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Edit: Any opinions on this? http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2633113472.html
Wow, you have like 4 times the amount of turntables floating around on Craigslist than I do but all for much more than they would be here

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mach 30 posted:

What's that Craigslist? A working 1969 Seeburg LS2 for $20.00? Don't mind if I do!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

MokBa posted:

I love working in a record store.

I paid for the Mudhoney one (original Super Fuzz Big Muff? yes please!) but the other three were given to me by a customer that always brings in vinyl to trade. If we can't give him very much store credit he often just gives them to employees or takes them back to give to friends. That's where the Fleetwood Mac/Van Halen/Idol (?) came from. I have no idea what that last one is, but it's sure to be ridiculous.
I have that Mudhoney and used to keep it on my wall. Can't figure out why they got rid of that lettering for the CD release

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

They re-issued it with that lettering. I am not a big Mudhoney fan but that record kicks rear end. I love to rock Touch me I'm Sick in my car.
I don't think they ever made an exact reproduction. There's a version where the letters are all white, there's one with just Mudhoney too

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I love the Dickie Goodman/Flying Saucer things but uh boy is it hard to listen to that whole album straight through

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Just a heads-up if there actually are some posters nearby, I'm throwin another record fair on November 12th in New Orleans. Details o'er here: http://recordraid.wordpress.com/

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Space human being posted:

I had no idea that any of the Insect Surfers 90s stuff was released on vinyl so that was a nice surprise.
I'm not really a huge fan of theirs but all of their CDs that I've heard sound so thin, the vinyl copies really help from from the ones I've heard

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Space human being posted:

re: Insect Surfers

My birthday mail just came in, maybe this is more your speed:

Happy Birthday to me.
hahaha how are you liking that Coffin Daggers album? I didn't find it quite as hard-hitting as their first one but I followed it so closely that I don't think I'll admit to myself that it's anything less than great

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

also, easier question to answer - is there anything wrong with getting a cheap record player as opposed to a more expensive one? I mean mainly in terms of sound quality, do expensive ones sound better?
Well, yeah. Do you think people are paying more just for the looks? Cheaper ones have different shaped styluses at different weights and, not to mention, are rarely built to last. While the cartridge will likely have more influence than the turntable itself (though sound isolation, platter noise etc. are definitely very noticeable sound factors decided by the turntable), there's a reason people pay thousands of dollars for this stuff, even if it's not necessarily perceivable differences.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Wild guess: one of the feet

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Has anyone here ever listened to a record on equipment that outrageously expensive? If so, what's it like? :allears:
I would never be able to bring myself to subject such a pricey cartridge to the subtle wear and tear of playing vinyl

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Huh? The youtube shows the picture sleeve of the original 45 single. Pretty sure Farts Domino owns a copy.
Was my holy grail for a looong time. Only record I've ever paid over $100 for by a longshot, don't think I've ever even done $50. 45 version actually has a bridge that wasn't in the movie or some of the youtube versions. Flipside is a snooze though

edit: non-picture-sleeve version is on ebay for relatively inexpensive
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mod-fuzz-psych-GREEN-SLIME-sci-fi-HEAR-/230712606930?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item35b78b00d2

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 5, 2011

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

If I had to venture a guess I'd say that's probably going to sell for much more than I can pay seeing as the opening bid is 25 dollars. But at the very least I'm glad to know this actually exists so I can try and track one down eventually.
I seem to remember bidding on one without the picture sleeve that went for ~$60. And obviously you should only snipe it if you're thinking about it

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

That's a lot more reasonable. It would be cool to have the sleeve, but I love the song so much that I could easily live without it. If you don't mind saying, how much did yours cost (and on that note what should I expect tp pay)?
I can't remember exactly, I thought it was about $120, but looking at popsike the recent picture sleeve ones were $150. And looking at popsike I'm guessing you're looking at anywhere between $50 to $80

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Handshake Drugs posted:

I've also collected a few things from other bands the members have been a part of:

Didn't know the Spells were Sleater-Kinney related. Never really liked that EP though

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

alg posted:

gently caress. Raveonettes B-sides album is $50.00. You can't do that with a bunch of stuff not good enough for an album!
and sold out already I think

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Longshot but I'm going to be spending a few days in Vienna. Any clues as to where the 45s at?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Rama Lama Magnus posted:

This guy passed away leaving behind thousands of LPs that were sold to a person I know that runs an auction house. Yesterday I went and flipped through crates and crates with horrible crap and managed to picked up about twenty good ones for 5$ a piece. This was one of them. The cover is not in the greatest shape but the vinyl looks and plays just fine.
hot diggity!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

The point is that they're retarded, if I can find a place that does them cheap enough I'll describe what I'm doing.
I've actually kind of had a use for pressing flexis myself, if you ever find a good one...

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Needs pictures...

I'm a bit of a hoarder.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/stack.JPG

My expidit is now on its side. Sucks that plastic sleeves make the spines unreadable.
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/expedit.JPG

More hoarding...
http://www.cosmiccontraband.com/moreclutter.JPG
hahaha holy poo poo you are me. Unfortunately I got rid of about 6 turntables and receivers a week ago or my shameful pictures would have been crazier than they're about to be (don't have a camera handy)

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

the posted:

The turntable that I have is a dual phono out (red and white). The speakers that I want to hook it up to are computer desktop speakers that have a 1/8" male headphone connector.

I picked up a FtM phono to 1/8" connector and paired it with a FtF 1/8" connector. Is that the best I'm going to be able to do?

I just want to make sure I won't be losing much, if any, fidelity and that it stays in stereo.
Are you trying to plug the speakers directly into the turntable? You need a phono preamp unless you intend to listen very quietly

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

the posted:

Yes, I was. I didn't realize I needed one. Is that the actual name of the type of product I should be looking for? Thanks.
Yeah, they're pretty inexpensive, you can check amazon.

A lot of us use receivers because they're built-in. And I'm guessing those speakers are powered and have a volume control, right?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Did you try turning down the input volume on Audacity?
Yeah, I'd be more inclined to say the problem lies on the PC side than the rest of the hardware. I don't know exactly how the M-Audio stuff is set up but could it be picking it up as a microphone rather than Line-In and giving it a 20db boost?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

thebigpicture posted:

Amazon has the Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 for $10. http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sauce-Committee-Part-2/dp/B002T9HD3M

2LP + 7inch, digital download, and iron on graphic. I also got the flexi from Joyful Noise. Really cool, can't wait to see the box to store them in.
Man, I ended up not getting this album because I was waiting for the vinyl release, then by the time it had my enthusiasm had died. This I can do.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

That's pretty weird, but they retail for $250 US on amazon, is that not an option?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

stay depressed posted:

I feel bad anyone who even thought twice about buying something on that list. RSD is disgusting.
RSD rules because the stores have sales and I get cool things for cheap. None of which are released specifically for Record Store Day

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Just thought I'd sneak in a little self-promo if anybody in the gulf area is lurking. This is the 7th(I think) record fair I've thrown and I'm expecting about 30 vendors if the rain holds up

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

milk teeth posted:

cool - 'grats Farts!
take some dang pictures this time willya? I can't be the only one who wants to see your lil 1-day fiefdom.
I've actually had a few at the last two, but I didn't bother lookin at em until about a month later. But OK I promise, this time I will

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

So my record fair was today and it was pretty excellent. Vendors did well, I made as much as I spent, which is all I really ask for.

I bought mostly surf poo poo but a few others

LPs:
The Challengers - Wipe Out!
a comp on flyright called "chicken stuff houston ghetto blues" featuring Hop Wilson, Big Walter and Juke Boy Bonner
The T-Bones - Everyone's Gone to the Moon
The Marketts - the Batman Theme
Soul Survivors - WHen the Whistle Blows, Anything Goes

45s:
Aaron Neville - Spaceman / She Took You For a Ride
Googie Rene & his Combo - Break It Up / Side-Track
Googie Rene & his Combo - Wiggle-Tail pts 1 and 2
The Rhythm Kings - Those Lonely Lonely Nihts / Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu
The Popcorns - Zero-Zero / Chinese Twist
Rocking Bros. - Behind The Sun / Rock-It (KIILLER guitar in an otherwise New Orleans R&Bish record)
Sonny Hall - Poor Planet Earth / The Battle for the Moon (weird semi-country)
Matt Lucas - I'm Moving On / My Heavenly Angel
Jimmie & the Night Trippers - Cruising / Night Hop
The Strangers - Young Maggie / Boogie Man

The thing was, the day before I dropped by a friend's place who decided he wasn't going to sell. Probably did just as well if not better

Nearly all of these 75 cents:
The Allisons - Surfer Street / Money (Surfer Street is one of the coolest girl group numbers I've heard in a WHILE)
The Exports - Seat Belts Please / Car Hop
Little Willie Littlefield - Easy Go / Ruby-Ruby
The Dixiebelles - Southtown USA / Why Don't You Set Me Free (not their best but they're great. Sorta sloppy girl-hollerin')
The Nite Riders - Six Button Benny / Apple Cider
The Surfaris - Dune Buggy / Boss Baracuda
Classie Ballou - Dream Love / Hey Pardner! (great Louisiana blues/instrumental)
Guitar Gable - Congo Mombo / Life Problem
Plus LPs - Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Alright Again
Osibisa
Roy Head - Treat me Right (compilation)
Earl King - THose Lonely, Lonely Nights (compilation on Ace)

All in all plenty to listen to

Still going through photos but this one gives an OK idea

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I will gladly complain about most things Third Man but I can't hate on that

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Yeah, I've never really made an effort because there's just to much stuff missing from Discogs. The bar to make a useful/acceptable DB entry is too high for me to really bother (tracklisting, photos, etc). RYM has a more oddball/private/obscure driven community so there's a lot of stuff there that's not in Discogs.

I always thought it was weird there's a bunch of entries for comps but not the original sources...
Yeah I wish Discogs were as complete as RYM since there are phone apps and programs that search through it but it's not worth the effort of uploading a ton of 45s

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

chime_on posted:

The only way discogs gets better, though, is if you help. Seems like just 5 years ago, it was almost all electronic music on there.
True, and I've updated a few things. I think I would if I knew that there was a larger effort to add 45s and that I wouldn't just be adding every other thing I get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm kind of interested to hear what people use in this regard. I'm thinking of getting into some record collecting since there's a few good used stores near me and I'd like to just start grabbing old eclectic stuff for cheap and giving it a spin. But I'd also like to digitize the stuff I like to have on my Ipod for when I travel (and to keep original records safe).

So a couple questions for anyone that digitizes:

1) thoughts on turntable -> preamp -> sound card versus just getting a USB turntable? I don't currently have anything so I'm leaning toward just going USB unless there's a general consensus that they are crap compared to a standard one.

2) Software? It sounds a little tedious to rip all as one file in something like Audacity and then manually edit it down to tracks. I see there's some software out there that claims to have track detection but I don't know if it's any good. There's also this Dak all-in-one type system with software out there, but the site looks fairly amateurish so I don't know if it's to be trusted.

Any thoughts appreciated.
While I generally try to steer people towards the line-in to sound card route, I do it because of the quality of a good receiver and speakers, so I don't think it's worth buying a preamp specifically for ripping. If you're getting a setup specifically for USB, I don't know of any specific disadvantage against it, especially since I've found line-in quality to be a crapshoot anyhow.

As for editing, I just use audacity. Like you said, there is software out there, but if, say, a song has a small rest it'll split it like a separate track, and live albums are worthless that way. Not to mention some surface noise could throw off silence detection. I'm not speaking from experience but Audacity's not that bad once you get in the habit (hint, ctrl+b allows you to set labels, then you can export based on that)