Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The "vinyls" thing never bothers me. I think it's kinda cute even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What the... there's a new album? :psyduck:
It's a bit of a break from their old sound. To be honest I'm not really into it

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

chime_on posted:

I'll go ahead and put out there that imo you have to have lousy taste in music if there's not at least ONE Record Store Day thing that looks appealing to you. For the last few years, there have always been in the neighborhood of 5-10 exclusives that have been totally worth braving the insanity at the stores.
What an asinine comment. There is ONE item this year that does look attractive to me (the Martian Denny Orchestra released by Sundazed) but SO MANY of the releases are either reissues that some people would rather have the original copy of (often because it's super easy to find the original copy), overpriced first edition vinyl releases of things already released on CD, expensive B-sides from modern indie groups, or otherwise generally pretty mainstream stuff. Even the vaguely interesting items are usually at a price premium that makes me shrug it off.

Vinyl for me is about exploring new sounds by finding obscure things I know nothing about for cheap, or if I am paying a little more it's because it was never released in any other easily obtainable form. Vinyl is a format, not a type of music. I am practically swimming in vinyl in my apartment but if it's a modern release I'll buy it on CD 80% of the time because it'll be cheaper. Record Store Day doesn't cater to that at all. If anything, the fact that these are exclusive to this day and event panders towards the bullshit forced collectors' item status that I hate.

I'm not saying that you're collecting records the wrong way if you don't also hate record store day, but don't make blanket judgements about my taste when you don't know how I enjoy my music.

I do enjoy the day itself. I like going into record stores and seeing a lot of people hang out (I don't like that sometimes "hang out" means camp out until they open, buy the item, then split), and I like that a lot of stores bring in musical acts or have big sales. I like the idea, hate the company

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

chime_on posted:

Seriously not being a smartass here, but you came at me a little hard for someone who seemed to agree with me. There is something that appeals to you on the RSD list-- that doesn't mean you have to go out and buy it or that I think you're "doing it wrong," just that they do have poo poo out there that caters to pretty much all tastes.

Regarding your point about discovering new things for cheap-- there are ALWAYS budget label comps on RSD from all kinds of labels. That's generally what I'm grabbing on RSD-- 4AD, Finders Keepers, Numero Group, Thrill Jockey, Sacred Bones, and Mute have all had incredible releases in the last couple few years.

Obviously 95% of what's out that day is nonsense, but that's pretty much how the record business is all year long.
I think we're both reading each other wrong. I still think making judgements about people's taste based on RSD releases is completely bonkers (if anything, I think it caters more towards people WITH lousy taste) but I get that you're essentially saying it's a very wide variety that even includes relatively obscure labels that most serious occasionally-reading-wax-poetics-magazine music nerds will recognize and appreciate. Reasonable point, terribly put. I probably read it as more inflammatory than it was meant, but dammit don't speak in extremes like that, just say there's "something for everybody".

That said, my idea of "new sounds" actually usually means "pretty drat old sounds that nobody cares about" on 45s. I can find new music on blogs, CDs, and compilations on labels like those you mentioned are often pretty great, but I rarely go after them because I'd much rather dig for a weirdo 45 that I don't know anything about than pay $20 for something new with a price that'll drop to $5 on CD if I'm patient. I want MORE records, not special records. While I do buy records from current bands, the gimmick of RSD and the limited availability (often implying lesser importance to the band/label) usually counts against the item.

I take issue because I generally don't find much on RSD that interests me, and the one I want this time is definitely kind of a weirdo outlier. My point is that record store day serves a completely different type of buyer than I am, and even moreso I know a lot of vintage-only types that it would appeal to even less, and they tend to have pretty phenomenal taste. There's nothing particularly wrong with the buyer they cater to, but my point is that different people have different music spending habits.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2012

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

So Record Store day was pretty good, didn't go too crazy, just dug for 45s at Euclid Records NOLA and dropped in at Skullyz in the french quarter.

Sunday however, something you don't come across every weekend.

My friend calls me and says he and some friends are digging at Eddy's 3-Way, a former record shop. The story: in the 60s black record stores wouldn't get record shipments until the white stores did. So Eddy's scraped together what they could and essentially became a distributor. They were right by the projects so they had a captive audience and were well known to local artists so they often got given large amounts of records in person. Plus they had a radio show and a TV show. The store kept going until 1992 when the founder's son, at the time running the store, caught a stray bullet from the street right in the neck while he was in the store. Got nerve damage, moved the records into the attic, started opening it up to people on a case-by-case basis.

So that leads us to here. And this is only a corner of the place.

I climb up a ladder and through a door, see two people stumbling over records in the dark. One hands me a flashlight. I later realize I didn't unpack my car from a camping trip so I bring a lantern up. Seriously piles and piles of records, stepping on 45s wherever you go, nearly falling through the roof in other parts, mostly gospel, funk, nola r&b. There's weird clumps of certain records (I was joking to my friend "never thought I'd be digging and groan over another Eddie Bo" (not really that valuable of one)). My friend says this place had been a known digger spot for a while, that DJ shadow and friends were dropping in in the 90s. There's still some pretty great stuff, but for 8 bucks a 45 I couldn't go that crazy. Unfortunately I don't think I'll go back anytime soon since he wants at least $100 to come out and open the place up. Mind you, this guy has serious nerve damage and can't even walk up the ladder to see what's up there. Definitely a trip though.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

That looks killer, but yeah, $8 a pop is tough. It's probably been turned over a couple of times but there's still gotta be decent stuff there. I'd probably pitch something like $150 bucks to just get in the door then $3 a 45 after that? I dunno, given a bunch of time to dig I'm sure you'd come out ahead. (I mean, I don't get to see a lot of NOLA 45s around here so I'd way happy with $3/$4 copies of Check Your Bucket/mid-rangers with a slight chance of a Dap Walk, Barbarin, or something.) Basically walking away with a good stack of clean 45s would make my month, even if I didn't get over like crazy.

My fav RSD find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6ZaE9Mzqk
Yeah if I were going in exclusively to sell... and to sell a LOT it might work out. And he did say if you buy a lot then they get cheaper, but I'm not financially happy enough to spend $500 and go through the effort to get rid of 'em. My plan is either introduce somebody down here to it if they think they'll spend that kind of money or if he calls me back I'll tell him I can't meet the minimum $100 he wants to open unless he drops the price.

It definitely has been picked through but there's absolutely still profit to be made and good stuff to be found.. The Warren Lee and Polka Dot Slim 45s I got do pretty well on eBay, haven't really checked out the rest but I know stuff like the Hueys, which I saw a lot of, can at least fetch $10.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Floodixor posted:

I figured my tax return would help with this, so behold the totally rad Medicine box set:

4 colored records, 1 regular record
lyrics book
cassette of tour-only album
download codes for each album + "companion" mp3s for each album of b-sides, demos, etc
metal pin
press photo of the band

worth 80 dollars. I first heard Medicine about 6 or 7 years ago and was surprised by how I hadn't heard of them before as a big big fan of shoegaze and noisy rock. If you like the noisier side of shoegaze bands, I'm betting you'd really love Medicine, especially the albums The Buried Life and Shot Forth Self Living.
Do those have alternate cover art from the normal releases? I don't recognize those...

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

dflanny posted:

He looks really happy. Good on him.
Yeah, I think so too. His store is surprisingly well kept for somebody that doesn't really scrutinize what he takes in. His feeling that he needs to rescue stuff from a dumpster is probably the worst part, but like you were saying, doesn't seem to bother him or anybody else.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

i am a bee posted:

I queued on RSD to mainly pick up the Devo live LP and the Misfits reissue and ended up leaving with nothing but the MC5 single. Them's the breaks.

The Devo album went up on their website about two days later, so I've ordered that but went to my town's record store today and they had two copies of the Misfits album in their unsold RSD stuff box. What the hell? Would they have received more? Did they outright lie? Did staff put stuff aside and choose not to pick it up later?
I know at least one store here was missing shipments day of

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's just that that part in a video (I don't even like videos but I happened to catch this one) stuck out like a sore thumb to me because the whole video he's seeing things as they should be or things as they really are and then suddenly, boom. Medicine equals Death, which is such an incredibly dumb thing to say that it baffles me.
A lot of medicine does have pretty extreme side effects, death is an exaggeration of that. If another musician did it and they didn't have a religious agenda to attach it to, it wouldn't be that far out from the lazy politics musicians tend to sling.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

It's pretty much don't stick them in the light or an oven and they'll probably be fine especially with an AC.
As a Louisiana native that finds 90 degrees laughable, I agree

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Throwing another Record Fair in New Orleans!

(hosting my own)

I think this is #9 for me now? Still a blast

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Space human being posted:

One of the local surf music fans passed away a few weeks ago. It's a pretty tightly-knit community around here, so all the surf dudes put together a memorial for him and they decided to sell off his music collection to support his family. Dude had about 600 surf CDs, over 100 45s and quite a few LPs. It's all quite sad but he had some amazing stuff in his collection.

Some of this stuff I didn't even know existed on vinyl, and I'm still amazed by that Beat Tornados LP. He had some incredibly rare stuff that raised a lot of money for his family. I've heard the "grandpa died so we're selling his stuff" story so many times when buying records but it's a lot different when you're close with the guy.
Is that Baja Marty that they're talking about on surfguitar101? I haven't been able to keep up with sg101 for a few weeks. Sad as it is, it's kind of cool knowing that there was a community ready to receive and appreciate a niche collection like that. Those are some killer scores, especially that Beat Tornadoes LP.

Here's my surf/instro haul from the Record Raid this weekend. The one blotted out by flash is The Crossfires, different band than the Crossfires that ended up being the turtles but really good for what looks like a budget LP. 45s are The Rumblers - Boss, The Shondells - Thunderbolt and not pictured The Ramrods - Ghost Riders in the Sky and Earl Stanley - Fish Eyes.

...I got a lot of non-surf stuff including an awesome Gaturs 45, but I don't have it all together right now.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 23, 2012

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The funny thing is the poo poo sound of those plug-in portables tends to make 45s sound killer. To the point where I hear them on a hi-fi I get kind of disappointed. Without that blown-out sound they lose some of the energy.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In CT, I go to Redscroll Records in Wallingford, Merle's Record Rack in Orange, and basically any thrift store/Goodwill store I can find in the rich part of Fairfield County. The Goodwill store in Westport is often a goldmine, particularly if you like jazz and classical stuff.
I went to college in CT and loved Redscroll. It was started by a DJ at WESU where I spent a lot of my time. Small store but there was always something I could find.

That movie "I need that record" was practically the story of my record shopping situation sophomore year. It was really strange to see it in film form. I shopped at Record Express all the time and made a few trips to Trash American Style, then *poof* they were gone and Redscroll popped up in Wallingford.

I also found that Connecticut flea markets were completely worthwhile and craigslist had a lot more vintage audio than I ever found after moving back to New Orleans. Connecticut was a surprisingly good place to be a record nerd. And a pizza nerd.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

So it was briefly mentioned in the last couple of pages, but I'm moving in about 3 weeks.

Has anyone ever done a move with thousands of records before. I'm not sure how to come at it. Luckily most of the records are moving from a second location that is only 5 minutes drive from the new place.

I'm thinking like 5-10 milk crates worth at a time, repeat?
I found it was worthwhile to just buy boxes (there's perfectly sized ones at Office Depot) and label Ka-Me, Me-No etc and throwing them all in the U-Haul. Doing milk crates at a time means you'll have to unpack them as you move. Plus then you've got all sorts of boxes at your disposal. I actually ended up putting them behind my expedits which served the double purpose of cushioning my records from the wall.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I posted this in the turntable thread in IYG but I might have just as much luck here. Does anybody happen to have an AT-PL120 that they'd want to swap for an AT-PL120-USB? My radio station needs the remote start capability that was removed before the USB version and they're pretty hard to find since the USB replaced it.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

I really don't think RSD needs to exist anymore. At all.
not that I want to haul this debate back up but from a consumer standpoint, gawwwwd I agree. Ask a record store owner and I bet they think it can stay around for much much longer.

It is kind of funny seeing completely out-of-place Incubus records unpurchased at one of my local record stores though.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Yeah the Thing is kind of a disappointment and not even as overwhelming as I expected.

Euclid NOLA rules, they my bros

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dr. Lenin posted:

So I just found out that this is a thing.

Too bad finding one under $100 is impossible :( It came out around the same time I started collecting records. Back then I never would have expected being able to find game soundtracks on vinyl.
Never got around to playing the game but the soundtrack is done by two members of Friends of Dean Martinez so I still want it.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Drinking beer and digging through 45s in the comfort of my home is def worth it. Besides, it's old stock from a defunct jukebox place around here and was keerazy cheap so the odds of finding regional 45s is pretty good. I don't really care about getting over or anything. My goal is to find regional/unknown local stuff and that means dirty hands since nobody's gonna pull and sell it by itself.
Amen to that. I swore off grabbing lot collections a while ago but I miss having a huge pile of mystery in my house. Not like a thrift store won't take the dreck. Have a blast with that

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Traded a big pile of junk that I culled from the shelves and got a bunch of reissues / comp stuff I've missed. I've gotten a number of decent 45s lately but nobody cares about those so here's some LPs I like before they get moved from the 'recent' pile:

Almost bought a pair of La Scalas but decided the cabinets were in too bad shape to manage w/ refinishing. I really don't want to have to deal with relaminating, never done it before and would hate to gently caress it up. Odds are really, really low a decent pair will ever show up near me though.
I usually have SOME idea of what you're buying, looks like I'm slipping.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Philthy posted:

Did anyone even get that Flaming Lips set? I like the band, picked it up, and then noticed you're supposed to play all 4 records synced with each other. It's a neat idea, but who can cobble together a set-up to do this even remotely listenable?
I could but that appeared to be the bomb of RSD. Every store I went to had a bunch of copies and still had nearly all of them by the end of the day. Then again, I think vinyl bootlegs of that album had been a reasonably big thing beforehand (it was made for CD) so I guess it was good to put that to rest with an official copy.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

shmee posted:

What sort of things have people found inside second hand records they've picked up?
Picked up an LP of a local new wave band from a garage sale, like an idiot didn't check the condition of the vinyl. Got home and found no record, just clippings of pictures of new wave heartthrobs (Robert Smith, flock of seagulls etc) that a young girl must have thought were dreamy a long time ago.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

But legitimately, who cares about ring wear this much? It's so lame to do that. Turns buying an album into a scientific process.
I don't really see why this sounds like such a hassle...

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Me in Reverse posted:

:catstare: I know consoles aren't high-quality but I figured someone would have an appreciation for an old cool thing that I was gonna pay like $50 for.

The loving attitude you guys have sometimes, jesus.
If you really want a console you should be able to get it for nothing. People get rid of them a lot because they take up too much room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I've sort of dropped off the forums for a bit - do you think anything from the OP (aside from the obvious image up top) needs renovation? I don't want to make it HUGE with everybody's advice but if there's one big thing y'all would change let me know.