Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my all-time favorite album and tomorrow I should be receiving the 11 LP super deluxe edition box set so I'm pretty excited about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Barry posted:

That's a desert island record for me too but I don't think I need 11LPs of anything. Let me know if it's cool at least!

I'm still working on listening to the entire thing but so far I'm loving it. The box set ends with a live triple album from that era so it's a rare four-piece situation on that one. I mean, this set is for diehards only so I'm loving the hell out of this, but unless you're a superfan of the band and/or album you probably won't find anything essential here (with the exception of the track Shakin' Sugar, which would've been the centerpiece of an album had I written it and yet Wilco just threw it away and it never got a proper album release). The album as it was released really does seem to be the best version of the album and the songs individually

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

That brown vinyl is so brown

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Cloks posted:

some of the albums i picked up when i didn't have a record player

I'm pretty excited to listen to these

Wilco's A Ghost Is Born turns 20 in 2024 and, while it hasn't been announced, Wilco have been reissuing all of their records in remastered box sets for their 20 year anniversaries so I assume AGIB will get the same treatment. I only just recently picked up the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot box set and its great. Definitely looking forward to getting AGIS's hypothetical box set

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Cloks posted:

i have a pro-ject debut carbon, it's nice.

i got the Yankee hotel Foxtrot boxset and I've been looking at the summerteeth one as well. I'd been listening to various demos and bootlegs for years and it's great to hear all those snoozers cleaned up and in chronological order.

For the last drat near 20 years I thought that the song Shakin' Sugar was called Alone. It's easily one of my favorite tracks that didn't make the album. Lots of great snoozers in that box, really looking forward to picking up A Ghost Is Born in a couple of years

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Barry posted:

I can see why if you virtually wore out the YHF demos like I did where it was called Alone. YHF is basically perfect as is but the amount of absolute killer tracks left on the cutting room floor makes me wonder why it wasn't a double album.

The only reason that none of those tracks ever saw the light of day was probably due to the fact that Jay Bennett co-wrote lots of them and I'd bet that the band just wanted to put him behind them at that point. Pure speculation, of course.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I saw America's Favorite Hesher Cousin Sebastian Bach emphatically recommending wood glue to clean records, is this a man I can trust? tia

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Oh, the places you can go when you walk around carrying a 6’ sub and telling people you’re catering…

There was an episode of 30 Rock where Matt Damon's character explains that a white man in a suit and tie can gain access to anywhere if he walks at a brisk enough pace, which is how he walked around the West Wing late at night while the Obamas slept. Similar principle, I guess

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm a complete RSD newb and I'm interested in that Wilco record. Will the prices be listed before Record Store Day?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

interpunct posted:

Rough Trade's US site started listing their prices for RSD. They list the Wilco release for $29.99

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/product/wilco/crosseyed-strangers-an-alternate-yankee-hotel-foxtrot-2

Keep in mind that Rough Trade's prices tend to be higher than other stores.

Thanks!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Got the remastered deluxe edition of Wilco's 2nd album Being There which is a double album to begin with so I've got 4 lps to look forward to

I am a sucker for a box set

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I just went to Wilco's site and bought lots of good stuff, AM's deluxe edition, the red and blue colored Cruel Country, both of Loose Fur's records (Born Again in the USA and the s/t), Tweedy's Sukierae, Jeff Tweedy's Warm/Warmer records as a limited edition double album, and a handful of 7"s, and then I found a third party vendor and ordered the Summerteeth box set too because gently caress it

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Got up early for RSD today, and somehow I didn't know that Taylor Swift has a release today. I'm going to Vinyl Tap and Grimey's in Nashville so basically I expect to have a 1000 yard stare by mid-afternoon

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I stood in line for three hours at Grimey's and I got:

The Cure - Show

Wilco - Crosseyed Strangers: An Alternate Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires - The Sound Emporium EP

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Ordered the deluxe edition box set of Wilco's Summerteeth on vinyl from a third party vendor, received the We Came As Romans Complete Collection box set.

:negative:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

haljordan posted:

I've never seen Dylan live but I read a quote from someone once that went something like "Seeing him live is either the greatest show you've ever seen or the worst, there's no middle ground" lol

I have seen him live twice now and the first time was absolute trash (festival) and the second time it was like a religious experience (Love & Theft tour)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

pwn posted:

On the other hand you have an edition that sounds good.

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here but does colored vinyl sound worse than black?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I think that the RSD exclusive was on purple wax so as you can see this is a completely different product altogether

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

edit; never mind, got it

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

There were only, like three people swarming B&N's Criterion sale last night, but there at least a dozen teens swarming the vinyl with two of 'em losing their minds over finding 311's debut. Nobody in actual record stores ever gets as excited as these kids getting hyped to listen to All Mixed Up.

That song is on their 3rd album :)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Sex Robot posted:

Found this meaty boy looking metal as gently caress in a charity shop

Great find, Thor was rad! He performed feats of strength during live songs and eventually collaborated with Anal oval office's Seth Putnam for their song "Throwing Cars at People (On Coke With Thor)"

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Just picked up

Fugazi's first EP

and

D'Angelo - Black Messiah

and I scored a copy of Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot box set

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

dorium posted:

Just gunna show off my original Ex-Military pressing a friend of mine gave to me as a birthday present:

with the little black marker squiggle which is the only way to tell its an original and everything,

To be clear, that's not official, right? Ex-Military is a mixtape so that's an "original" bootleg, right?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

This year Santa got me David Bowie's A New Career in a New Town box set and its just loving great. Its making me want the rest of those Bowie box sets but that first one ( Five Years) is out of print and sellers are tripping. I assume there'll be no reissue on that

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I just pulled the trigger and ordered David Bowie's Who Can I Be Now box set, I mean, I ain't made of money or anything but I had a gift card and hail satan I guess I need to buy the rest of them now

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Gotta get that David Bowie, that Ramones demos record, and the Wilco expanded album no question

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Wow, an Eric Carr box set. Just what everyone wanted

I know that it's called "The Eric Carr Box Set" but it looks like it's only 2 lps

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Wasn't that Licorice Pizza's deal too? Probably misremembering the box thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Waited 4+ hours but got my loot.

Picked up those Wilco, Ramones and David Bowie releases :coal: