Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Yea one of my favorite places in Chicago has a demo turntable for customers (a handful of stores do) and it was out for a while because someone slapped the tonearm and bent the needle and they didn't want a repeat performance.
I've seen kids put needles on slipmats so many times (once resulting in a bent and twisted cantilever). one of them even put a record on the listening station then scrubbed the needle back and forth across the record to listen to the sound it made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

$35 for a nerdcore band? I was able to get a limited, 250 print edition of Decapitated's new album for like $15 who are a little bigger.
How the heck are the protomen nerdcore? They don't even rap.

PS: the less they sell of a release, the more they have to charge for it. Economies of scale and all.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

answersyouseek posted:

$10 for an EP? What the gently caress is that about?
Is that unusual? I'm used to paying $13 for singles.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Oh most of the records I buy are european imports so I guess that explains it.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Just bought a near mint copy of this record off discogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d7jNZXcKHk

Should probably buy new needles soon.

Does anyone have a good solution for keeping dust off records?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Tiny Faye posted:

Also, unless you're a scratch DJ, never play your records on a turntable that doesn't have a dustcover.
How much dust can settle on a record in the 10 minutes or less that it's sitting on my turntable?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Wilbur Swain posted:

How much dust can settle on a turntable without a dust cover? Where does that dust go when you put a staticky record on it?
Oh well if you mean put the dust cover on when not playing records that's perfectly reasonable.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Stuntman posted:

Does anyone know a good place in the US to buy oldschool hardcore techno/gabber vinyl? I don't feel like paying 6 bucks shipping for something that costs 2 bucks.
Good luck.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Maguro posted:

humming
How loud are you playing your music?

How close are your speakers to the turntable?

What is the turntable standing on?

sounds like feedback to me.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The fact that it only happens when you turned it up leaves me with no other plausible explanation besides speaker feedback.

If you can't fix this with placement, you can always record your vinyl with the speakers off and then play back the recording (with sufficiently good tools to do so). No feedback problem then!

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Try putting the speakers on a different surface than the turntables, or if they have to be on the same surface, put something very heavy underneath the turntables (like a big slab of stone or something)

If the speakers and turntables are both sitting on the same piece of wood or thin metal, vibrations will transmit very easily.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Can someone recommend a good turntable/cartridge for archiving (recording records to digital) that will cost me around 4-500 total?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Couldn't they obtain the recording through much easier means as well?
I'm all ears.

You seem to be making the assumption that all music which was ever released on vinyl was rereleased on CD at some later point. This is not, in fact, the case.

Much of the music I own was only released on vinyl (or the version released on CD was poorly mastered/a different edit than the vinyl version)

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 23, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

If you really want to transfer your Lp's to digital more power to ya but it seems super pointless in this age of technology where someone else has probably already done it for you.
Why do you think someone else has probably done it? And, given that someone has done it, why is it necessarily easy for me to find such recordings?

Some of the records in question have 500 or less copies in existence, some of which are probably destroyed, many of which are probably sitting in a warehouse or used record store, unsold, and most of which are owned by people with no motivation to record them and post them online.

Trance records from the mid-90s are mostly in the possession of people who were DJing at that time, who most likely have dozens to hundreds of said records and probably never even look at most of them because they're either no longer DJing or have switched styles (since absolutely no one plays trance from the mid 90s anymore).

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I want to start a company or nonprofit foundation which goes around hunting down the master copies of various obscure records and digitizing them. Do you think people would be willing to contribute to this?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

Are you talking needle drops of the best available copy or going back to master tapes? Because the record companies honestly have no idea where half of their stuff is. The master tapes for stuff like Steely Dan and The Who are missing. The obscure stuff is going to be hell to find.
Well I figure the latter if possible, the former if not.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

When it comes down to it, any analog storage medium is also potentially usable as a digital storage medium, and you can make it as redundant as you want by adding more and more layers of different types of ECC (the tradeoff being you need more medium the more ECC you add).

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

But I guess I should rephrase my earlier question: What is the best turntable/cartridge combo, fidelity-wise, for $600 or under? Size/weight is my second factor after fidelity.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Is there really not a turntable as good as the 1200 that's belt-drive and not huge/heavy?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I was going to buy a technics or two at some point anyway so I guess I might as well just spring for that.

Does anyone know how to best check a used one for defects?

Also, no one's mentioned cartridges...

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

What's wrong with the 3 others I mentioned?
Derp.

Also hooolly poo poo $200 for a cartridge is NOT the price range I was thinking

My knowledge in the realm of turntables is limited to stuff that's designed for DJs. DJ turntables and DJ cartridges are designed for things like ultra-high skip resistance, minimal record wear, reverse record travel, et cetera.

I am looking for stuff that is similarly priced or cheaper that focuses primarily on fidelity, and not any of those things.

It kind of surprises me that stuff which is designed for professionals (DJs) costs less than stuff which is designed for home use.

Even the higher-end DJ cartridges cost maybe $150

Edit: on second though it's probably better to spend more on the cartridge and less on the turntable, no?

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 25, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

lack of a preamp should leave you lacking in bass, not an excess of it.

If you have too much bass, either you're double-preamping, or the speaker in question is hosed up.

Do you have a picture of the speaker?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Red posted:

I'm getting a preamp because the volume from this turntable is super low, both through speakers and headphones, and my previous turntable wasn't.
What is it connected to? If it's connected to anything other than a phono preamp or the "phono" input of a mixer or receiver, you're missing out on more than just volume. See RIAA equalization

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

So I lack a dust cover for one of my turntables and I just came up with an ingenius idea to prevent my records getting dusty:

Flip your slipmats over when you're not playing records. That way, dust will collect on the bottom side. Then flip them back over and the non-dusty side will come into contact with your records :)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Do all phono cartridges have slight balance issues? Maybe it's because my turntable is straight-tonearm (the scratching type, not the over-hanging type), but every cartridge I've used on it has been panned slightly to either side, and it's always different.

The weird part is that it seems like it pans the highs more than the lows. like I can adjust the balance to the point where the bass sounds centered but the highs are slightly to one side.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Dr. James Hetfield posted:

It's a neat gimmick, but I have definitely noticed the volume and compression issues. Is it safe to assume that this is characteristic of all parallel grooved records? I do not plan on buying very many more, but this is more for curiosity's sake.
The max volume of a track is basically inversely proportional to the length of the side (this is why they make 12" singles for DJs and audiophiles). When you have parallel grooves you basically double that effect (or triple, or quadruple, depending on the number of parallel grooves), so it could possibly have the same quality as a regular record if they made it half as long.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Amoeba in Hollywood is a great place to get lots of old house and trance records for 50 cents

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but if I'm setting up a DJ booth for a party, what's the best way to prevent bass feedback through the turntable? Assume that the subwoofers are close to the turntables and this is not avoidable. I know it's doable because I've seen it done many times before.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Crumbles posted:

Shure M44-7 cart
This is the loudest cart in existence and I also have problems with clipping when running it into my computer (using a Numark Stereo IO which has a phono input). My solution was to use a DJ mixer. If you don't have one of those then why are you using a cartridge designed for turntablists?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I know, vidjagame music but the original music does have some nostalgic value from when I was 13 and still had time to play videogames. :unsmith:
I was expecting mega man or sonic the hedgehog. I feel old.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Crimson Sox posted:

I don't think the increase in vinyl popularity won't be going away. I think with music being so portable now, it's natural for music lovers seek format that can offer greater tangibility and fidelity.
Vinyl does not offer greater fidelity, by any meaningful objective measure.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Not really a matter of opinion: If you're using the turntable for DJing, you need a slipmat. If you're not, you're probably better off using the rubber mat since it better isolates the record from rumble.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

But the music, from my turntable playing through my system sounds awesome. Rich, lots of depth, it sounds great. The recorded files, even played back through the same system just don't have "that".
Turn the volume up. The recorded files are probably a bit quieter.

(or it got clipped in the act of recording)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

alg posted:

I don't really wanna send the back to this small label because I'm sure they will lose money on it. Do any of the crazy tricks I found on google actually work to un-warp a record?
I've got more than a few records that were unplayably warped, but they all eventually flattened out on their own just from me leaving them sitting on the turntable for a day or two. YMMV