Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I got that Todd Rundgren collab double LP called Runddans and made it nearly all the way through the first LP before realizing it was meant to be played at 45

pretty cool tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Ween are legitimately a great band but yeah it's kind of strange how popular they still are despite it being 13 years since their last record

I see their records on occasion but man are they expensive

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Z-Rock Hawaii is in desperate need of a repress. "The Meadow" is an all-timer.

Ween audiences are the only crowds at shows I'm comfortable in. They're chill, have access to really good drugs and they're really into arts and crafts (I usually end up leaving shows with pockets full of pins, stickers, more drugs than what I came in with, all sorts of nonsense). Just don't interact with them on the internet because the internet, as always, turns everyone into complete idiots.

I've only seen them once but the main thing I remember the most was that there were 3 people in chicken suits. they don't have any songs about chickens other than (I guess?) "Pollo Asado" which uh is not something they're gonna play live. was a remarkably cool & freaky crowd, lotta friendly people and "wonder what the hell that guy's on"

despite being a fairly packed crowd there was a guy in a wheelchair and everyone gave him a ton of space & would occasionally hand him beers and other things. that was pretty cool.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Pollo Asado was actually in rotation after the reunion and was always a one-two punch with Israel. They'd cart out a wooden podium and make it a whole bit, but Gene smashed the podium to bits when I saw them in Vegas in 2016 and they haven't played it since. I miss seeing an entire crowd of stoned idiots standing dead still chuckling like Beavis and Butt-Head, including myself.

The bigger tragedy was losing Israel, honestly.

wow, shows you what I know

when I saw them 2018 they played like half of The Pod but no Pollo Asado

still, this doesn't really explain all the chicken suits

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I think I've got that one + a signed Polysics or Die!!! that I got when they were in Milwaukee for some reason. Even though they pretty much do the same album every year I still love 'em. They did introduce me to P-Model so I'll always be in their debt

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

now that I'm back into collecting records (after nearly a decade layoff) I'm amazed how much the prices have gone up. everything's like double what I remember it being

the local shop took in a huge influx of records that were right up my alley, as I flipped through them I thought "wow it's like someone robbed my house". yes I wound up spending $100 on Gentle Giant & Todd Rundgren LPs, plus a copy of Gary Numan's Dance, Thomas Dolby's Flat Earth, Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn, two records by Triumvirat (!), and Uriah Heep's Demons & Wizards. plus the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, just cuz I didn't have it. When I was into this a decade ago a lot of this was stuff you couldn't give away.

case in point, copies of Thriller are like $10+ now, despite the fact that it sold more than any LP in history

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah I'll be grabbing that

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I think all the Sparks albums from Li'l Beethoven on are really good, even FFS and that weird musical thing they did about Ingmar Bergman

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yea the new Dan Deacon is amazing, I feel like anyone who was ever a fan is gonna be satisfied with it. my only complaint is that it sounds like way too many ideas crammed into 45 minutes but otoh his sound is a bit hard to take over long intervals so maybe that's for the best.

this is probably the first time in over a decade where I actually preordered a physical copy and waited for it to arrive, its dumb but the first listen was so much more satisfying that way

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

That seems like an odd criticism since it's pretty much his whole appeal to me - so many notes and so many things going on at the same time. It is completely overwhelming and that's exactly why I love it, it's like the audio equivalent of a Where's Waldo book.

well yeah but there's a lot of individual sections that I wish ran longer, that's how good it is I suppose

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I actually got mine. tbh it ain't really my favorite by her but it was one of those things I could not pass up. the reissues of Shader & Sleepline are very cool though. weird music to have on vinyl but I love 'em. Vaporwave vinyl is definitely super expensive and I think intentionally limited but for Vek & George Clanton I'll pony up. dunno about anyone else though

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

pwn posted:

The Presidents of the United States of America have finally released their debut album on vinyl in the States, there’s 10 days left on their Kickstarter

They posted a video on facebook of the jackets being produced earlier today

https://www.facebook.com/PresidentOfTtheUSAband/videos/2842905212444501/

Idk I wasn’t big into them back then but ngl for $25 shipped I’m tempted to throw down.

quarter mil raised so far, god drat. happy for 'em, they're good dudes

idk if I wanna pick this up though like most people who post here in their 30s this album was really important to me once upon a time

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

gently caress you, kitty you're gonna spend the night...

OUTSIDE!

funny story when I first bought this I was 11 and I was playing it loudly with the window open

my Mom came home *right* as that part came on

she came upstairs and confiscated the CD. then gave it back a day later and said "okay, I guess it's not that vulgar"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

All Animal Collective owns. Probably top 3 bands for me. People who dog on their recent stuff are johnny come lately wimps IMO

AnCo are a band I've only really been into recently but I did think it was strange when Painting With came out and got slammed by everyone even though (as far as I could tell) the stuff they were complaining about were the exact things they were praising the band for 5-10 years ago. PW maybe not a great album but it was way more fun than I was expecting

still my high watermark for them is "Lion in a Coma" which went from "god why is this annoying song stuck in my head all the time" to "holy poo poo this is the greatest song ever"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

I haven’t listened to Can beyond the first 4 albums. How does it compare? I have been listening to Ege Bamyasi loads lately.

depends what you mean by "first 4", technically Soundtracks is sorta album #2 and it's really good ("Mother Sky" obviously the key track here), if you do count that then Future Days is a must have, it's basically perfect

as for the rest

Unlimited Edition - 2x LP of unreleased and rare stuff. contains some really good stuff from the Malcolm Mooney era but the rest is kind of a toss. it contains a lot from the classic Damo Suzuki era but very little of that is interesting. I'd spring for The Lost Tapes instead

Soon Over Babaluma - sort of a sequel to Future Days, has some neat proto-trance stuff on Side 2, plus some experiments with Latin rhythms. has a new singer but it's just Michael Karoli. dunno if I'd call it great but it's definitely very good

Landed - more rock oriented, has some good pop songs and one excellent jam called "Vernal Equinox". they're kinda losing their way by this point but it's still a good LP

Flow Motion - their attempt at a disco album, actually contains some good grooves & an excellent single ("I Want More") but it's kind of a silly endeavor. has nothing to do with their classic albums but I still like it

Saw Delight - first LP with the new lineup, with Czukay out of the band and two members of Traffic in his place. way funkier and jammier than before, almost has a Talking Heads feel to it in parts. it's not very well put together but track for track it's their most consistent in a while.

Out of Reach - this one the band doesn't even like, and for a long time you couldn't find it on CD since it was just never reissued. listen to it and you'll find out why - the songs are pretty poor (outside of maybe "Pauper's Daughter and I"), it's badly recorded, there's nothing they didn't do way better on the last LP.

Inner Space - I actually like this a lot, probably the best post-SAB Can LP by some margin. almost has a mechanical/Kraftwerky feel to it on a few tracks. I think it reconciles the old and new styles pretty well. Sadly, their last before breaking up.

Rite Time - a very bizarre one-off reunion LP with Malcolm Mooney. sounds like late Talking Heads on Xanax, but with Wesley Willis in place of David Byrne. Entertaining but not good.

The Lost Tapes - 3 CDs of jams that were literally hidden in an old studio, it is exactly the sort of thing that Can biographies say existed in spades but never really materialized yet. Obviously not all good but there's a shocking amount of great stuff in here, maybe worth getting above any of the other albums really

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

that's some amazing packaging for a couple of pretty crappy Devo records. I was a huge Devo fan as a kid (my parents are from Akron so they were played in the house a lot) - it wasn't until I was 15 or so that I found out they had two more albums, both of which became holy grails for me, cuz you couldn't find them anywhere. not even on Napster! eventually downloaded them and...yeah. I do like a couple of the songs on SNM but man.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

screaden posted:

If you guys like the Mother/Earthbound soundtrack you should absolutely check out Moonriders or anything Keiichi Suzuki produced

not to mention the track "Satellite Serenade" which had a very popular trance remix in the early 90s. or the Beatniks stuff with Yukihiro Takahashi. Keiichi Suzuki's work seems pretty well known but nobody really seems to know who he is and Moonriders stuff is still super obscure outside of Japan. can't say all their albums are good but they've got a lot of really great material.

kinda similar to Susumu Hirasawa, his soundtracks are very popular and well acclaimed but nobody seems to want to check out his solo stuff. which is a shame, because once you do you realize those soundtracks are basically the B-sides to his (almost uniformly excellent) solo albums

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

finally got a copy of the first Faust LP (not an original, but the reissue seems pretty faithful) and it's probably the prettiest thing I own right now

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

good news, Drag City has repressed the Yellow River Boys LP

https://www.dragcity.com/products/urinal-st-station

if you don't know, it's a blues rock album by Tim Heidecker & Gregg Turkington in which nearly all of the songs are about drinkin' piss, outside of "Mr. Mudd" (I'll let you guess what that one's about). it's seriously great. on yellow vinyl, of course. been looking for this for a long time!!!

in other news, I just spent a ton of cash on discogs to get a copy of Denki Groove's VOXXX, way more than I ever wanna pay for a record (nearly $80 after shipping) but I have wanted this for like 15 years

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I'm hearing a lot of surface noise, I think this may be because I bought kind of a cheap cartridge/needle, it was $40 on amazon. my kids wrecked my other needle sadly

I assume getting a better needle would fix this ? anyone got any recs?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

well well well look what came in the mail today

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

honestly I'm not even sure what some of these are, I've ordered a lot of stuff in the last month or so that just hasn't arrived due to (I assume) the massive USPS backlog. I'll open em up tonight when I'm in the right frame of mind and get back to y'all

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

hell yeah

one in the background is The Crucible by Motorpsycho

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh hey Yellow Magic Orchestra! I had to Google that album just to be sure it was the same band, but I guess I'm some sort of hipster who prefers their 70s work. Never knew they went in a poppier direction in the 80s.

Naughty Boys is definitely a pop album but it's a fairly tongue-in-cheek one. Not to pander to the goon squad but I feel like every Japanese video game music composer was huge into this album at some point. Technodelic on the other hand is deeply strange, it's one of the first albums to ever be built primarily from samples (their own, of course) and using a device which I don't think appears anywhere else.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm semi convinced Simoon is a lost Eartbound song it makes me think of that game every time I hear it. Never mind that the song came out 16 years before the game.

the guy who did the Earthbound soundtracks did several albums with one of the members of YMO so I'm pretty sure there's a connection there

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

screaden posted:

Keiichi Suzuki and Moonriders are what you're looking for re: Earthbound. The YMO members also had very good solo careers, Hosono obviously but Yukihiro Takahashi stuff is really great.

Also

I could talk about their solo careers all day. so much great stuff in all 3 of them.

listening to the Naughty Boys Instrumental album for the first time in forever, this is really the happiest music on the planet isn't it. even more striking considering how schizoid and neurotic their last two albums were

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah in general those big box set/live records tend to be kinda valuable

I think I got Kraftwerk's Minimum-Maximum for like $50 new when it was released and now it's about $200

my first bout of record collecting was in college, 2005-2008. at the time records were kinda cheap and I bought up all sorts of poo poo even though I was not making a whole lot of money. I'm stunned to find that the prices on a lot of this stuff has actually gone up. I thought for sure I was the last generation who was gonna care about this stuff.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

imo the real expense when it comes to record collecting is the 'fill in the gaps' mentality - some of my recent purchases include two Moody Blues records (On the Threshold of a Dream & A Question of Balance), a couple by Utopia (POV & Swing to the Right) and Wind & Wuthering by Genesis...all of which I got mostly because they're the only ones I didn't have. not particularly expensive but looking through my collection I do this a LOT

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

now that I write this I found a copy of ELP's Love Beach on eBay for 6 bucks (including shipping), which of course is basically guaranteed to be in nearly perfect shape

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

the tough thing about it is that even garbage records are now $5-8 a pop. back in the 00's you could get stuff like Talking Heads' later albums, all the 80s Genesis LPs, various solo albums by Peter Gabriel and David Bowie all for a buck or two apiece, which is how I wound up with so many of them. even great records that simply sold a lot of copies (like Who's Next, Are You Experienced, Thriller, etc.) were fairly cheap because there were so many copies out there. nothing like that now...

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

they were generally pretty good...idk if this was the way it was elsewhere or just this one store in Green Bay whose owner was very open to the whole "I'll give you a good deal if you add a few more" model

the one here does have some good stuff in the $3-5 range but as you mentioned you can tell by looking at the sleeves that they're in rough shape. though sometimes the records play okay.

everything I've found on Discogs has been real good

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

I also didn't grab a bunch of records that I probably should have because I was operating using the flawless logic that these mega-sellers would be cheap and widely available forever. I might have been a loving dumbass 15 years ago.

honestly back in 2005 it didn't really register that people would still be collecting these things in 2020

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Tubular Bells & Oxygene are two albums I have actually never seen in a used record store which is odd because they both sold a zillion copies

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

dunno who's interested but 5 Susumu Hirasawa/P-Model albums are coming to vinyl

http://amass.jp/138965/

RIP my bank account

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

btw anyone who grabbed that Presidents of the United States of America record - it's $199 on eBay right now (but with free shipping!) so uh, congrats???

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Someone sent me this so I would get mad and I got mad so now I'm posting it here so some of you will get mad.

https://better-records.com/

was wondering how this could possibly be a profitable venture but it reminds me of that book on Amazon "How to make $200,000 selling books" where the book costs $200,000

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

okay hold up they aren't even doing the crazy "half speed 45 RPM remaster" thing they're literally just buying up as many copies of Bob Seger records as they can and selling the cleanest one for $299

quote:

We're unique in that we're the only record dealers who base the price of their records on the quality of their sound.

pretty sure every record shop in the country takes condition into consideration

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

so I finally got all my stuff imported into Discogs (you can see it here if you care) and I discovered something cool - my copy of OK Computer is apparently this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-OK-Computer/release/4950798

which as you can see goes for a lot of money. mine is actually sealed because when I bought it my turntable was in storage. idk if I believe that I could really get $500 for it, I know high-end Discogs prices are always pretty inflated, but there doesn't seem to be much sales data on it. what should I do with this? I'm not really that big into Radiohead, I'd be good with like...one of the reissues. I'd like to offload it so I can buy more obscure Japanese technopop poo poo that nobody cares about.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

awww gently caress guys it's a Cold Stamper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Mystery Steve posted:

Picked these up this morning, only 5 people in the queue when I arrived. Apparently there was an issue with the shipping of Tron Legacy soundtrack so a few people went home empty handed

I thumbed over a copy of the residents icky flix, thought if you CPL593H caligulamprey I regret not picking it up now.

really would love a copy of that Datarock record, I have Red & Face the Brutality so yeah getting that would be neat