Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

petit choux posted:

Yeah, I fell down the rabbit hole once again of surfing ebay vinyl for records like this late at night. I have since learned there are several more like this I'd like to find, but I'd like to also pay a dollar for them. This one sounds really, really good for one of these though :) .
"Several" is putting it lightly. Trippy Moog albums are their own genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

BigFactory posted:

I think I have 5 copies of switched on Bach. And I had a bunch of copies of Christopher Cross but I threw some away
I'm still adding to that Whipped Cream and Other Delights wing I’ve been currating.

Read After Burning posted:

I buy a lot of vaporwave and as with most niche genres, it's always a :stare: seeing what some of my albums are going for second-hand.
With you on this one. FOMO is a hell of a drug to those with disposable income. Even represses snag a premium.

Most expensive buy was probably the Beach Boys Smile box set several years ago. Don't think I've ever paid more than $50 for an LP, but probably would for a grail or two.

How about killer deals? What's the least you've ever paid for something that's worth a bunch? Ever found gold at a yard sale or Goodwill? I'll bet everyone has at least one decent story.

Mine: early into record collecting, I went to a home sale hosted by a former radio DJ. All records, stored in floor-to-ceiling shelves, were two bucks. Among the giant stack I eventually carted out, I snagged a VG+ first press of the Ramones Self titled with the misspellings (“beat is on the brat”). Median price on discogs is usually around $150.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Boinks posted:

Holy crap, I think I just found someone's holy grail records just sitting in the bin of usual stuff at Goodwill.

Sweet goddamn, that's a good find!

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CornHolio posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Grado? How does it compare? The specs seem way better than the one I have right now (especially on the high-end... 20,000 hz vs 55,000 hz is something that should be noticeable I would think...)
I have a Grado black on my backup turntable; it sounds great. Like BigFactory said, Grado makes good stuff. Never taken the Pepsi challenge with a comparable cartridge, tho.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
Okay, why not:

LPs: 862
12": 55
CDs: 547

Also chiming in to report: the maximum worth is bullshit; based only on the maximum price one person with far too much scratch paid. I have a VG+ copy of Rocket to Russia, but it's not worth the $999 someone spent on a copy three months ago. To me, some of these high-dollar sales sound more like a money-laundering schemes.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 19, 2023

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

esperantinc posted:

I don't even have a single copy of whipped cream.
:frogout:

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I was FINALLY the first person at the yard sale; I'm never the first person at the yard sale.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

BigFactory posted:

Good haul. Were they priced reasonably
Two bucks each. They’re in good shape, too.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
Ordered Stones and Beastie Boys.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

sporklift posted:

Both of mine arrived on different days with no notice.
I received one a few days ago, but haven't received the other one yet.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

u_s_eh posted:

Is there a vaporwave vinyl ethos where they actually give a poo poo about quality? Finally going through my backlog and got to two vaporwave comps from different labels, both had nice poly sleeves, the vinyl was pristine, zero surface noise.

Just a fluke or is this a vaporwave thing? Most of my “regular” records come with lovely paper sleeves, scuffs and/or paw prints, and sometimes even fucken hair all over the vinyl itself. Lots of issues with surface noise.
A E S T H E T I C = a quality experience. Also, which comps?

Ooh, which comps? :allears:

My worst sounding record is the Tron Legacy OST I got from Target, so I assume Disney gives zero shits.
Disc one, side A of the Tron: Legacy OST is one of the worst sounding new LPs I've ever heard. I returned mine for another thinking it was a fluke. It wasn't

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

haljordan posted:

I am lucky enough to have a stellar record shop very close to my house (that I spend way too much money at lol)

https://www.lastvestige.com/
Been going to Last Vestige for over twenty years; It's such a solid shop that I use it to judge other shops: good prices, no gouging, quality stuff (even in the $3 crates), quick turnover of stock, knowledgeable dudes behind the counter, and a friendly old cat whose name I can never remember.

In other news, I did okay thrift store crate digging while vacationing in Cape Cod:

Sorry for the potato-quality photo. The top right is Neil Young, Hawks and Doves

Edit: I don't buy much from discogs, but constantly use it as double-dip prevention app. Losing the service would suck.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 18, 2023

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

I don't put a record on my shelf unless I've listened to it. :hai: My "not yet listened to" stack has ~10 or so in it at the moment.
Same here, except my "not played yet" pile takes up two milk crates. I make it a point to listen to a new album every day, but it's been more digital lately on account of my backup turntable (i.e. the one I use more) being on the fritz.

In other news, I'm in South Carolina for a family reunion, went to a Goodwill, and found an old meme:

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Turbinosamente posted:

Aww that's a shame, maybe next time. I'll have to dig mine out monday and see if I jive with Armand's particular brand of weirdness. I don't have high hopes based on the amount of HOG tv ads I've been subjected to over the years. Why is the ad where he gets attacked by a gorilla stuck in my memory just as deeply as their Christmas ad??
For the same reason that I still remember the phone number for Shapiro and Shapiro—later just Jim “The Hammer” Shapiro—despite not having lived in the area for the past 25 years.

Armand's albums are unique, and all over the place. They're worth a listen, but I like weird stuff; your mileage may vary.

Also, I want this poster:

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2023

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

thathonkey posted:

question about turntable setup if anyone happens to be familiar with it (belt-driven):

i recently got a pro-ject turntable (T1 so pretty basic model from them) and i think the cartridge got messed up a little while it was shipping. it was loose in the headshell and the stylus cover had fallen off in the box. anyway i know i should have exchanged it but i was too lazy to send something that heavy and delicate back so i learned how to align and calibrate it myself. i also attempted to verify that the stylus was not damaged using a magnifying glass. so during playback everything works fine now and it sounds great to my ears BUT...

issue: as soon as a side is over, if i dont catch it pretty quickly, the tone arm will quickly slide over to the center of the record (like within a matter of seconds) and scratch into the label sticker. is that common or did i gently caress something up calibrating it (maybe the counter weight is off idk)?
How is your anti-skate set?

Edit: I looked up the turntable and I'm not sure you can adjust anti-skate.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 16, 2023

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Real talk: How do we feel about taking out a used record in a store and inspecting it before purchase?

I feel like it's necessary, but I'm curious...
It's absolutely necessary. Sometimes sellers will write the condition on the price label, or you'll have a shop that you trust to price a record according to it's condition, but I can't imagine not looking at the thing before purchasing it. Most shops also have listening stations set up, or did pre-covid.

I've only ever been in one record store that didn't allow it. I didn't buy anything. Online reviews of said shop are mostly people complaining about it, and the owner dutifully responding "gently caress YOU!" to each of them.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Red posted:

I can't recall the last time I saw a record store trying to sell a damaged album, though.
The places that care won't, but shops selling Herman's Hermits for $30 function differently. The discount bin can get pretty gnarly in a place like that.

Boinks posted:

What would happen if I snorted this??

You'd probably be okay. Too much, though, and you'd end up in a Floyd hole.

Unrelated note: saw Stop Making Sense in IMAX last night. It was awesome.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 23, 2023

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I'd think about buying it if it also functioned as a turntable, but I'm not going to get out an LP so I can change the room's mood.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
Had a productive twenty minute visit to Rocket Number 9 while waiting for chinese food. The owner has assured me the name is a reference to Sun Ra and not Mystery Science Theater 2000:

The bottom right is one of the FatCat split series: #16 David Grubbs/Avery Tarre. I have a handful of the split series; they're weird, but interesting. This one has 16 (natch) holes punched through the sleeve.

Edit: Pan Dulce, what is that red dancing whatever under your avatar?

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 19, 2023

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Turbinosamente posted:

gently caress. Do you guys bother to fight for a return when a brand new record is slightly scratched? It plays but there are pops in a couple of songs.
gently caress yes. You wouldn't pay full price for anything else that was damaged; why would an LP be any different?

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I was running my main TT through my beloved Kenwood KA-7100 until it died. Thankfully, I have more yard/church sale amplifiers in the basement and downgraded to a Pioneer SA-7500. Been using it for the past five or six years. It's fine. But Imma get my Kenwood fixed some day.

My backup TT (ie, the one that gets used more) is being listened to via headphones through a lovely Radio Shack amp because it fits in the limited space I have. I need to upgrade to something with less hum, but it works for now.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Arcella posted:

Recent pickups from Light in the Attic:

Exotic Moog is weird but a lot of fun.

Want that Exotic Moog.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I've had an unusual run of luck at thrift stores in the past week:

That Otis Redding is one of my favorite albums and I was stunned to find it at Goodwill in VG+ shape. I'd take the stickers off but I'm out of Ronsonol.

I also came across & blind-bought some Chinese/Taiwanese pop/folk music:

I've only listened to the top left so far: it's pop/surf/folk/weird and right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Heath posted:

I'm going to be moving in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if there is a good recommended storage solution for moving about 100 or so records. I just need probably 2-3 decent size boxes but they need to be strong enough to hold them and big enough that they won't get damaged. Anybody have something that they've used?
Many liquor boxes are the perfect size for records, they hold less than the Uhaul boxes so you won't tweak your back, and they're free.