Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Farts Domino posted:

Just when I was about done with garage sales today I finally found some stuff. None of the covers are in great shape, but for most the vinyl was fine

Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat (had a big line through side 2 but sounds fine)
t:wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I use a 1200 for at-home listening, I feel slight guilt about it like keeping a tiger in captivity

But it's a great table

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

At-home listening is what is for designed for so...

Authorial intent is irrelevant; furthermore,

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I wish they would repress Whipped Cream & Other Delights and then replace every other vinyl reissue with Whipped Cream & Other Delights.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
edit: this post was bad.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bread Dragon posted:

The cop-out answer of course is that I love them all, or I wouldn't have spent the cash, BUT I can offer some guidelines. Anyone who likes general all-purpose punk music can enjoy the Ellen and the Degenerates 45. The Bow & Spear LP (general shoegaze) or the Modern Convenience LP (Tennessee garagepunk with shades of Jay Reatard) also have crowd pleasing sounds. I really love The Wirms stuff I've released, but it's a little more odd—I always say they remind me of an Ozarks version of the first Meat Puppets EP, real manic. Ten High opened at Gonerfest this last go-round and they're about to play like a dozen shows at South By but some people hate paying $5-6 for a single. I love big hole singles even though it's admittedly stupid to press one ITYOOL 2019.

Nothing purely electronic but I'm about to release a CD (and later in the year an LP) of a Kansas City band called Salty that sounds like the old British band The Cardiacs. I've also got a few distro copies of the new Science Man LP.
What's the noisiest fuckin band you have dude. Blast some feedback into my ears just blow my brains out with distortion. This is a sincere post.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I just got my record collection in the mail yesterday, and one of my stepdad's old records has an oddity I've never seen before!!

It's the Stones record, but the factory but the wrong label on side one (music is totally normal, just the label). The stones aren't my jam these days, but it's still cool; seeing weird misprints was my favorite part of the job I had buying Magic: the Gathering cards. (MTG is similar to vinyl collecting, except the collectibles aren't as cool, they're newer, they're mostly useless, and they cost ten times as much.)

Here's my setup for the time being until my housemate gets in her old speakers next month. I got the 1200 almost a decade ago and jeez louise are those more expensive now than they were then! I'd never heard of the receiver and couldn't find it googling, but it was $60 at the Goodwill by my house so I'm gonna have a little project cleaning it up. It sounds pretty good when a record is playing through it, but pretty noisy when there isn't. Picked up the copy of On the Corner for $30; it's the album that got me into jazz, and as such I've wanted to have an OG copy for a while

I'm going through hundreds of records and finding the exact pressing to add to my collection on discogs and honestly it's fun because I'm a total dweeb

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 13, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ill check em out! I listened to a couple Modern Convenience LPs on bandcamp and those are some fun records. I used to shop at Wax Trax in Denver and it really reminded me of all the fuzzy garage-pop I’d get from that store, weirdly nostalgic sound for me

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

I bought some of my first records from wax trax :unsmith:

303 rep
https://youtu.be/W84Zz00rpGw

Oh gently caress yes. It’s still my favorite record store I’ve ever shopped at. Going through my collection there’s all these records with their writing on it like “HELL YEAH!! GARAGE FUZZ MONSTER PUNK! THIS RULES! FIJI PRESSING LIMITED RUN OF 150 RECORDS! $7” and it’ll be a $35 record on discogs now

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

Oh gently caress yes. It’s still my favorite record store I’ve ever shopped at. Going through my collection there’s all these records with their writing on it like “HELL YEAH!! GARAGE FUZZ MONSTER PUNK! THIS RULES! FIJI PRESSING LIMITED RUN OF 150 RECORDS! $7” and it’ll be a $35 record on discogs now

this is barely an exaggeration btw

CPL593H posted:

I used to listen to the Stones a lot but at this point I basically only listen to Their Satanic Majesties Request and Between the Buttons. I find those to be the best of their albums. They were never better than the Brian Jones era, mainly when they started doing originals instead of R&B covers. Satanic Majesties is one of those albums they never gets the credit it deserves.

you looking for a copy?? I got this one https://www.discogs.com/The-Rolling-Stones-Their-Satanic-Majesties-Request/release/1164092

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like that slipmat.
What is it?

I honestly have no idea, it came with the turntable from Twist and Shout in Denver ten years ago

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Oh hey it's LITA! I was planning on going to their store in Seattle for the first time tomorrow. What other reissues have they done lately that people really liked?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

trdn89 posted:

I Am The Center is one of the very best compilations I've ever heard, so please get that if you haven't already. I also love both the Lewis albums a lot.

EDIT: The Hosono releases are also great, Cochin Moon is a flat out masterpiece.

Oh I like those Lewis albums, didn't realize that was LITA! I'll totally pick up I Am The Center, that sounds wonderful, thank you

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Kicking around the LITA website I've noticed that They're deep discounting their black vinyl copies of Camberwell Now's records for $9 a piece, which is bonkers. The Ghost Trade is easily a top 5 pick for me and the reason why Charles Hayward is my favorite drummer of all time. Dude is straight Aphex Twin levels of crazy.

Somehow I’ve never heard this before, I’m listening now and it absolutely rips. Thanks!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I dunno what reissues have it on vinyl but the CD release of Third Reich and Roll comes with their cover of Satisfaction and Beyond the Valley of A Day in the Life, which are my two favorite tracks of theirs

You could also *checks discogs* pay $250 for an original copy of the 7”, up to you!

https://youtu.be/Y_smoNNCFbY

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

That’s all on the pREServed CD release which is cool but still a CD. The Satisfaction single is still easy to get ahold of, but The Beatles Play The Residents and The Residents Play The Beatles usually goes for around $1,300 Last I looked.

Thanks, Beatles fans.

Yeah I don’t think Stones fans like that Satisfaction cover too much and I think the sentiment goes both ways

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I’m currently chilling at the LITA store, which I didn’t realize is right in the same building as KEXP so I’m getting blasted with their fundraising driving interspersed with donation bait songs like Sound and Vision and Killing Moon

I picked up a Pallbearer record but every single one of those compilations people recommended is sold the gently caress out :11tea:

They didn’t have those Camberwell Now records in black vinyl on hand but he’s ordering them and he’ll honor the $9 price (thx so much caligulamprey)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I've been cleaning up that Superscope R-330 receiver I posted in an earlier pic. I'm still getting a hum that's pretty noticeable and sounds like Providence from Daydream Nation. I've been using contactless cleaner and using that definitely helped but it's still there. What are my best options to fix this, if any? I tried getting some qtips to apply the contactless in the phono input but it's too big, boo

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 18, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Oh and here's more bragposting! Found these first two at the Goodwill by my house for $3 and $2 respectively:

Pop punk single including a genuinely amazing 40-page comic!

More pop punk, this time a 4-way split in a color that was limited to 250 copies

Now for two more records inherited by my dad:

Most of my dad's records got hit pretty hard in a flood, but this one is partially still in original shrink, so it turned out better than most.

LAMF didn't have the same fortunate fate. Fortunately it's not a record known for its sound quality anyway

And here's two of my finds from Wax Trax 8-10 years ago:

I've never seen a copy of Do Dallas in person, which is one of my most-wanted records. I'm keeping the $5 price tag on this one as an additional brag

I, too, was in high school once (record still rips obviously)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

It could be a grounding problem. I have no idea how to fix that but it's probably a pain in the rear end because I have a guitar amp that does that and every place I called wants a fortune to fix it.

It's only the phono that makes the sound; does that help narrow down the problem?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Honestly it could be all kinds of poo poo and from what little I know about how these things work it may not rule out a bad ground. Did you open it up to see if any wires are loose or anything? Make sure you avoid touching the capacitors. I mean if the thing was cheap enough I'd suggest just buying a new one because if it's not a thing you can fix on your own there's a good chance a repair (if you even find someone who does that) could cost more than the thing is even worth.

Does the turntable have a pre-amp and if so is it switched off? It could be something extremely simple like this or your RCA cables are loose or something.

I'll open it up and take pics soon, it looked... fine I guess? I don't know what it's supposed to look like tbh but nothing seemed egregiously wrong.

My table doesn't have a preamp but the receiver makes the sound when nothing's plugged into it

Honestly it's not a big deal and it's a cheap lovely receiver that I'll have to replace soon enough anyway because even fixed up it's not that great of a unit v:shobon:v

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

In that case I wouldn't even bother looking inside. Just toss it. I looked it up and couldn't even find anything about that brand.

Sorry I typo'd- it's a Superscope R-330

They're the parent company of Marantz

edit: but yes it's not great!

edit edit: whoops totally forgot there was a gadgets forum for this kinda talk sorry (sorry (sorry))

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 18, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Paul ReiserFS posted:

mclusky is so loving good

I first listened to them like eleven years ago because DARYL loving HALL in the NMD thread in helldump (pre-phiz) called them the coolest band in the world. One of the truest bits of music analysis I’ve ever read

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Spin the mcluskyest vinyls u got

FCK!!!!!

Edit: I apologize for the typo. The word was supposed to be ‘gently caress.’

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

sporklift posted:

Cheap beat up copy of Black Sabbath. Hey if your Sabbath records don't sound like a hand me down from your cool older stoner brother you're doing it wrong. Is that dust in the grooves or bits of weed and dried up bongwater?
Hmm I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to pay $30 for 180g versions of 70s records that sold eight million copies actually

That Eastern European comp looks cool as hell, I’m looking up some tracks on YouTube now

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I've been meaning to. I pass Tomorrow on the way to work every day, but not when I go home so I haven't made my way out there.

Sacred Bones is reissuing Plantasia on color and black vinyl.

Oh wow I was JUST listening to this the other day and wondering when it was gonna get reissued. Really, the guy deserves a Numero Group box set or something

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

if you're looking at priced and sleeved inventory all stores are a tad high because they're physical stores

That really depends! My partner and I are making a project of hitting every record store in the Seattle area (there’s a LOT) and it varies widely.

I got a private press power pop album for $20 that’s $30 on discogs at Daybreak Records, and a rare early Grouper record at Beats and Bohos for $45 when the cheapest copy is $88 on Discogs. It’s not like these are thrift stores that don’t know what they have; there are stores that aggressively price stuff even in major cities if you find the right ones.

On the other hand, I live up the street from a couple record stores including Bop Street, which loving sucks and wants $35 for like a Johnny Cash greatest hits record even though they have inventory literally to their two-story ceilings

edit: from the same bin as the Grouper record I bought, here's one I decided to pass on

Oh and if you're Seattle local and as big a Grouper fan as I am, they still have another rare record of hers in that bin! Price was totally reasonable; I think it was this one?? It was my first time at Beats and Bohos and I was continuously blown away flipping through their bins

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 22, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
One time I saw that Fela/Ginger Baker record for sale in a bin at Wax Trax and a week later it was on display at the wall at Twist And Shout a couple miles away at double the price

Small record stores own, large ones are traps, in my experience (I’m sure there are exceptions and please tell me about stores you like in your cities)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pwn posted:

I have only shopped online but I enjoyed Jigsaw Records they had a lot of neat stuff and mostly new.

Hahaha yeah that's three blocks from my house. Modern indie rock isn't my poo poo unless they crank up the noise real high; I flipped through their stuff and I didn't recognize a single name. I'll go in and pick up some local albums when I'm feeling adventurous and have some cash to burn

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Mods please make this the FAQ for the thread

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
That GYBE collection :c00l:

The whole setup looks amazing, super clean and useful, great job!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pwn posted:

Excuse me but i don’t see a line conditioner and dark field elevators to keep the cables off the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Am48Ejg6Kw

(Your setup is classy af)

lmao at that turntable built specifically to play the Fast and the Furious OST

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Who has time to listen to different music when you're listening to different amps

edit: he has like ten different pieces of electronics that don't do a loving thing all because he's convinced it makes Safety Dance sound a little better

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 24, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Do YOU want the vibrations from your garbage disposal disrupting your audiophile Journey LPs?? Ya that’s what I thought kid

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

hatelull posted:

I want him to make that video again, but this time take out the loving trash and close the door to the bathroom.

Also, you think that's a condo or town home? That setup has the potential for a righteous wall of noise which I'm sure common wall neighbors definitely appreciate.

He has a RESPONSE VIDEO TO THE HATERZ where he says he’s in a condo and he’s never had a complaint because of the $300 risers or whatever

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Jazzmasters look really cool though.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Completely and utterly off-topic, but I've been staring in awe of this current picture of the band Kansas for the last twenty minutes:

Which one DMs the campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Promo Suzanne is an amazing find. One of my favorite songs of all time