Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Read Menace posted:

What other crazy vinyl communities exist out there?

TONS of them, you have no idea. This thread doesn't really reflect the breadth and depth of available/known records and genres. Seriously, pick a genre that existed pre-80 and there's 4 figure records and poo poo still be discovered today. Genre collecting gets deeeep.

Just off the top of my head, here's a few books that make some kind of attempt to do a relatively deep catalog of material from a specific era/genre. Most of these have a short blurb on each entry *at best* and a couple are just covers and titles:

45 Revolutions
Teenbeat Mayhem
Acid Archives
Funk Lexicon
Fuzz Acid & Flowers
The Archivist
The Crack in the Cosmic Egg
Tapestry of Delights
Record Collector Dreams (Pokora)
Manship's Guide
R&B Indies (i think there's a lot of wrong stuff in this one)

Also, gently caress Beatles minutiae. Sad targeted hoarders doing their best to never hear anything new in their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Or you want to use a MC cart.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Waiter! This turd has peanuts in it. Take it away!

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Cemetry Gator posted:

While we're talking about completing collections, I want to ask about preventing the destruction of a collection.

Since I'm moving at the end of January, do I have to worry about the temperature of the moving truck at all, or would I be better taking the records with me in my car and going through the hell of packing them in and out of the car 8 different times?

I need advice! I'm completely paranoid about this for some weird reason. Probably because that's a huge rear end investment and I don't want to fall back on my rear end. I don't want to have to reacquire "Happy Together" in mono!

Low ambient temp isn't a problem w/ records. Pack them tight, and if they're secure and in the dark then they'll be fine. I've moved my crap this way and just pulled any 3 figure or special records out that traveled in separate boxes with me to ease worries. Uhual used to make a small/book box that was something like 12.5" that would snugly fit records perfectly. I *think* the small box they list on their website is the same one, even though they say it's 12x12x12.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Yeah, the new beta FE has been around for awhile now and is much better about stock levels and is pretty close to real time. They're a major distro for small labels so reasonably in demand/small run stuff can sell out relatively quick as stores put in their orders.

I've order tons of poo poo from FE for years and they're awesome, quick and flat rate shipping, etc. Them and Aquarius are basically the go-to for oddball / niche poo poo that's not easily gettable directly from the label.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Nope, strictly a warehouse operation. They're a distro for hundreds of labels so a brick and mortar store would be an enormous undertaking. Although start clicking through their releases by month/digging through their stock, they carry tons of awesome stuff and some boutique-ey reissue stuff like shadoks, time-lag, etc.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

midge posted:

Getting hold of a replacement stylus to replace my Shure 5X is becoming a pain in the rear end in Toronto. For $15 more I can buy an Ortofon OM5 or for $55 more a 2M Red Phono Cartridge. Is the difference between the two worth the price difference?

The Ortofon OM 5E is a horrible shrill piece of crap and you should get the 2M if those are your choices. Huge world of difference.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
RZA better be cutting monthly checks to Charmels for as many times as that cut's been ridden.

e: haha, i actually just re-listened to the soul temple clip and it's the drat The Emotions version.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 20, 2013

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Blurry-rear end photo in a dimly lit room (hence the grading lamp on the left). I've been trying to clean up stuff so the shelf everything's on just holds overflow and recent stuff that's not put away yet.

SL-1210MK2 -> Bellari VP130 -> NAD C162 (skipping phono stage) -> VTA ST-70 -> Klipsch Heresy II

Occasionally I switch the to the NAD C262 -> Polk RTIs when I'm playing something very bass heavy since the bass on the Heresy is acousticy/rolling which is very nice for my normal listening but doesn't work well for dub, elec, etc. I also have a quasi-upgraded Pro-ject Debut III that I stopped using because I got sick of loving with it swtiching between 45s and LPs so much. Slowly replacing/upgrading pieces as I go.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Chill Callahan posted:

That looks like a killer setup. What is (what looks like) a NAD box below that receiver? Also is that power amp from a kit? I've got a Pioneer SPEC-4 I'm repairing right now that I might sell for something nice with tubes.

Eh, I typo'ed my post. The top NAD is a C162 preamp and the bottom box is a C272 power amp. They're a really nice pair but don't sound great w/ horn loaded speakers. Plus the Klipschs are really sensitive and I was shooting for an all-tube chain with them.

The ST-70 is this kit: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm. It's not the cheapest but has by far the best build quality of all the ST-70 semi-clones I've seen. Kit's dead simple and Bob Latino is really responsive, ships quick, etc. There's cheaper ST-35/ST-70 kits around, but I was planning to get larger horn speakers at some point in the future (La Scalas, hopefully). (The SPEC-4 looks cool as poo poo, though.)

e: plus the VTA driver board is really nice and allows for individual tube biasing so tube matching doesn't have be a big concern

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 21, 2013

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I've heard a few at a friend's house (Monster / Future Days) and they're not bad for waaaay sketchy boots. I mean, I've heard a *lot* worse. Theie sources are decent enough but the price + the PVC sleeves are ehhh. I actually think most of their Can stuff isn't actually live, but studio practice / unused takes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
My wife knows that if I die to tell any local guy who comes knocking to go gently caress himself.

I bought some 45s on the way home from work today.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

That looks like way more trouble than it's probably worth.

Drinking beer and digging through 45s in the comfort of my home is def worth it. Besides, it's old stock from a defunct jukebox place around here and was keerazy cheap so the odds of finding regional 45s is pretty good. I don't really care about getting over or anything. My goal is to find regional/unknown local stuff and that means dirty hands since nobody's gonna pull and sell it by itself.

Chill Callahan posted:

Holy poo poo. What kind of stuff is in there?

So far, a few TN 45s I don't know, a couple of decent rockabilly, a short stack of 70s TX/mex stuff that's probably all horrible norteno. And %95 landfill. About normal.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Traded a big pile of junk that I culled from the shelves and got a bunch of reissues / comp stuff I've missed. I've gotten a number of decent 45s lately but nobody cares about those so here's some LPs I like before they get moved from the 'recent' pile:

Almost bought a pair of La Scalas but decided the cabinets were in too bad shape to manage w/ refinishing. I really don't want to have to deal with relaminating, never done it before and would hate to gently caress it up. Odds are really, really low a decent pair will ever show up near me though.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
One of those is for HAI :coolfish:

Ras Het posted:

lmao at the idea of finding originals of any of those

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Lungs posted:

Ooh, Nelson Angelo e Joyce. That's a great record. Where'd ya pick that up?

Just a private sale, nothing crazy. I've never actually found many good braz records in actual record stores aside from a couple Caymmi LPs and Valle's US release stuff.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

WASDF posted:

I think that record stores need support and customers, but I think Black Friday-like traffic is something they deserve but don't need. The only record stores in Seattle that I think do really terrible are the bad ones that are just some Vinyl Lord's dump site for albums he doesn't care to add to his library in his garage.

RSD keeps my local open for months, seriously they do like 2 months worth of revenue on RSD. It's not a bad store at all, it's just a lovely area for record dudes so they def need the RSD traffic.

(The area is so barren of record guys that this weekend I bought clean, cheap copies of SF Sorrow (us promo) and Space Ritual that had sat untouched for a couple of *months*.)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
VPI cleaning is the colonic of the record world. The spin clean is a half-rear end handjob.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Hey nerds, one of your bleep bloop bands has their secret decoder ring RSD LPs up on the eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boards-of-Canada-RSD-Promo-Record-XXXXXX-/281100905866

Go kick rocks, Jack White.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
the OM/Concorde stylus just pop in/out, it's kind of a weird angle w/ the OM body without removing it from the headshell but whatever. you can use OM* styluses in the Concorde, the only real difference between the OM and Concorde body is just the Concorde's integrated headshell design.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 4, 2013

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Dupes was part of the point of Mawhinney's fever dream world's greatest collection BS. He ran it as an "archive" so they'd keep a bunch of multiples and never sell the final copy of anything. It's dumb as hell, and he's been trying to sell it to some chump forever and it's been picked through at least twice.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
:balleur:

I remember a g45'ers video (probably Taylor/bosshoss) that showed a big chunk of their US collection filed by state of origin, just absolutely cool as hell.

e: this isn't the one i remember, but this is *just* TX poo poo. http://www.finerecordingstudio.com/posts/BotumlesPit2.mov

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 24, 2013

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

And all that expensive equipment to me makes it seem like he doesn't enjoy the music for the music's sake.

Seriously, you guys say some of the dumbest poo poo sometimes. An Australian who's probably done more to help document/uncover US 45s than anyone in decades and has probably the best standing collection of American garage can't possibly be in it for the enjoyment of the music.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

What I'm saying is he seems more obsessed with having expensive poo poo and owning a bunch of stuff no one else gets to to have. I fully admit that I'm likely wrong about it, but that's not how the video comes off. Especially as he doesn't actually bother to talk about the music or share any kind of interesting insight. He's just going "Hey look at what I got!".

He's sourced a ton of stuff for various comps, maintains the g45 list, and is thanked in like three different books I own for his contributions. He's probably personally responsible for a lot of the stuff on the norton comps and teen beat mayhem stuff that people *wouldn't otherwise* get to hear. He's very much out there and known as far as record barons go.

I'm not defending his silent murder lair basement or anything, but cmon man.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I feel we've all learned a valuable lesson about record dungeons and first impressions.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
You guys should look up the re/search and key of z books (and the acid archives to a lesser degree) if you're interested in outsider/real people records.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I'm betting it was saved searches for the matrix # that tipped a few people and it was spottable by the high starting price and early bidding bump. I've got saved searches for uncommon catalog number prefixes for labels I'm looking for and it's caught a number of auctions where people list the artist / title / catalog number better never actually use the label name. (Or it was record that didn't use the label name.)

But yeah, just about nothing slips by on eBay. Before the redesign you used to be able to filter by number of bids so you could do searches to find records that caught a really early bid or had a lot of bids nearing the end and find good records you didn't know about. It only takes two people.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
- remove record from jacket
- put jacket in poly outer
- place record behind jacket in poly outer

Done, sorted. No re-insertion blues, no ringwear, no expanding seam splits. Especially when dealing with poo poo BR/JA/Afro jackets.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I bought a new 45 flight case to take to a dj thing last week, I didn't realize the thing was like the nuclear football. Weighs a ton when full of 45s. Did make me more comfortable carting around a bunch of my 45s, though.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

WASDF posted:

But legitimately, who cares about ring wear this much?

People that own good records.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

WASDF posted:

I can't see that being true, to be honest.

You don't recognize that there are a poo poo load of collectors who own records whose importance or rarity approach minor cultural artifact status and the care and future condition of them are serious considerations? And the described 'scientific process' consists of simply putting a record behind the jacket inside a plastic bag?

Because, again

JehovahsWetness posted:

Seriously, you guys say some of the dumbest poo poo sometimes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Find Fishers and rip the monoblocks out. Trash everything else.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Them mc30s, cot damnn.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Dude, records are awesome never stop buying them. I think I'm dj'ing a 45 set for part of a soul/funk night in a couple weeks, too? So there's even practical applications for what is otherwise a giant rear end waste of time.

Also a record picture.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Because obis are part of the paper ephemera of japanese pressings, so to some people a japanese press without its obi isn't considered "complete". That's pretty much it.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
whoosh

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Read Menace posted:

I have a feeling its almost all garbage but have you guys ever found anything decent in big messes like that?

Yes, absolutely, all the drat time. Decent *to you*? I dunno. Some stuff from in the wild from just the last ~2weeks:

Plus a handful of solid 45s. I don't hang on to a lot of the stuff I find, but I get to see/hear/find out about a lot of poo poo I otherwise wouldn't have. Which is kind of the point of records for me and my answer to the digital v. vinyl: the (probably slim at this point) majority of recorded music is still only available on vinyl.

And getting psyched about hometown 45s.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Dude, you bought the Phantom Menace OST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Human Cow posted:

I actually tried this the other night, but it was too noisy to hear much. I could make out the first couple sentences...he was talking about how excited he was to speak to them, and how he was wondering if it sounded like he was on the radio. I've got some record cleaning supplies, so I might try them out on the side that doesn't look like it has anything on it to see if I can clean things up some.

Don't put anything containing alcohol on it, it'll gently caress the acetate layer.