Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh sweet new John Maus album on mottled vinyl, I don't care that you're limited to a hundred copies, I will play you until there's nothing left to spin.

Nice! Maybe it's just the picture, but that looks much more light blue than seafoam green.

E: I just woke up and had Hey Moon in my head from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, I contacted them about it. It is mottled but darkish blue. I too thought it would be green, but nowhere on the site does it state so; the mottled one is in fact blue.
They said the other blue vinyl version was really light blue, so I did get the right one.

It sounds superb, btw.

Well, the color looks awesome for what it's worth. Can't wait to get mine.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

Finally broke down and bought † and Civilization by Justice. I was lucky enough to get a signed poster with the single.

Where'd you get it? I've been meaning to pick those up.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Which Ariel Pink album?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

(I own every licensed nes game including stadium events).

:smug: /

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I saw the Cocteau Twins Box Set 1 at my local shop for a good price so I traded in my Head Over Heels/Sunburst and Snowblind split toward it (same release was inside). But there's also a release of simply Head Over Heels inside the set, too. Am I to believe they included duplicate albums inside the set? Or am I missing something?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

The Vinyl Thread: I told my grandmother the turntable she bought me broke

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Superchunk posted:

I'm having the same problem with Grouper stuff. All of her albums were such limited, self-released pressings that I can't find anything for a reasonable price. I would kill to have Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill, but I'd settle for any of her other albums too. I even went to a record store in Portland where she regularly shops and sells her music and they only had one 7"

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Superchunk posted:

I am now just envy manifested into a physical form made of tears.

She has a ton of stuff I don't have and I'll agree, takes too much luck and energy to track it down. Or money.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

WASDF posted:

Is it at all dangerous to leave my record player going for hours? Like if I fell asleep to an album? I always wanted to do that, but I worry about the record just getting hosed up or something cause my player doesn't auto-return.

Your record will be fine but your stylus will wear out much quicker.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

chime_on posted:

Seriously not being a smartass here, but you came at me a little hard for someone who seemed to agree with me. There is something that appeals to you on the RSD list-- that doesn't mean you have to go out and buy it or that I think you're "doing it wrong," just that they do have poo poo out there that caters to pretty much all tastes.

Regarding your point about discovering new things for cheap-- there are ALWAYS budget label comps on RSD from all kinds of labels. That's generally what I'm grabbing on RSD-- 4AD, Finders Keepers, Numero Group, Thrill Jockey, Sacred Bones, and Mute have all had incredible releases in the last couple few years.

Obviously 95% of what's out that day is nonsense, but that's pretty much how the record business is all year long.

I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle than Farts Domino because our tastes in collecting, and possibly music, differ. I buy new vinyl almost exclusively of both new and old artists. That said, there is not one RSD release that appeals to me. Are you actually saying, based on that fact, that I have poor taste in music? Absurd. Not everyone listens to a genre of music where just any artist's release within that genre on RSD will suffice.

Ghumbs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 20, 2012

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

WASDF posted:

Was pretty musical day for me. I went down to East Street in West Seattle and checked out what they had. There were only three things I wanted which were Death Grips, Flaming Lips and Animal Collective. No luck on the AnCo, but the other two were successful. I also got some other stuff.

I went to a few garage sales and bought some stereo equipment. New speakers, a receiver (later found out the right channel doesn't work) and this awesome as gently caress AM-FM Receiver/Cassette Recorder/8-Track Player for a total of $15

I already had a few cassettes that I had no way of listening to, so this is perfect. Although I have to listen with headphones, but that makes it a more intimate kind of thing I guess.

Check out this sick as gently caress tape that came with it...

Music wise I managed to get a hold of:

Death Grips - The Money Store
The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
Boris - Heavy Rocks (2011)
The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends (ordered online to be sure I'd get it!)
and Planning for Burial - Remember cassette which is limited to 25; oooOoOOOoooooh....

I'm hoping to be able to pre-order the Dweller on the Threshold record from Enemies List tonight, but that might happen tomorrow. Anyway, RSD was rad; how was your RSD?

Hey fellow West Seattle vinyl buddy. Easy Street is like a block from my apartments but I didn't really see any releases that would have made braving the RSD funk worthwhile. Looks like you did alright. I still need to pick up Clouds Taste Metallic. Was that the last copy?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was immediately directed to a download page.

Also wondering if I've downloaded the wrong thing because the praise for it is nearly comical.

Your reaction is identical to mine. I only donated $.01 because I figured I'd be buying the vinyl. Nope.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Pre-order is up for the new Dirty Projectors album, for those interested in that kind of thing. Comes with an 8" square vinyl with lyrics printed in loving cuneiform on the b-side.

Check it out up in here.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ribbon Music has a pre-order up for John Maus - A Collection of Rarities and Unreleased Material on translucent pink vinyl limited to 500 copies.

If you ask me, it's worth it for Castles In The Grave and Bennington alone.

I've been out of the country for the last few weeks so I didn't see this 'til now. Thanks both of ya.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This came in the mail today. Apparently I won a contest. It's from a videogame. Is it any good? It's called Awesomenauts so I kind of doubt it.

I'm... not sure what to do with this. I mean, it's not like I'll find myself listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_I9iz7pVI

Maybe take "you can't win if you don't play" as a warning next time.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Blendy posted:

Got my copy of Swing Lo Magellan yesterday but noticed I didn't get my copy of the Gun Has No Trigger Tablet Of Values. Has anyone gotten their record and the bonus weird tablet? I'm going to be super pissed if they just forgot to send me my tablet and how they've run out and gave it to someone else. I have the worst luck with these things.

Mine arrived today with the tablet. Sorry, man.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Kolchak posted:

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it anywhere, here or elsewhere on the net:

I've noticed that a lot of my LPs sound worse the closer the needle gets to the centre of the record. By the last song, the quality has dropped completely - "s" sounds are distorted and there's a general grunginess to the overall tone that is very unappealing. But the first tracks sound crisp and clear.

Would this be my player, or the records themselves? Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I can't think of a rational explanation for it, but then I don't really know what I'm talking about anyway. I don't have a very advanced setup, just a $175 Sony turntable hooked into my home entertainment system.

It's completely rational. Data gets closer together the further toward the center it is due to how fast the data is read on the outside when compared to the inside. So technically the data is getting worse at a constant rate as you listen to it. That being said you may need to make some adjustments because I seldom, if ever, notice.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

What I wanted most was Theppabutr Productions: The Man Behind the Molam Sound 1972-75 but I didn't see it anywhere. I don't think it was terribly rare, either (2000 copies) so if someone sees it I'd gladly pay you for your troubles.

I did find this, however:

Spent the better part of an hour in line to check out but that's ok, I guess. RSD is a little too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Chill Callahan posted:

Here's a tour of Mark Taylor's record room. It's a little unnerving, only for the fact that he doesn't talk, but it is absolutely immaculate. He's one of the preeminent garage 45 collectors in the world. I think the Unissued Sixties Garage Acetates Norton series is partially based off this collection.

That man has stairs in his house.