Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here's a pretty cool video about the making of the new Flaming Lips records for RSD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioq70dsUmqI

The one's they've been pressing for this look insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's some more info on that big Flaming Lips collaboration compilation album.

Apparently it's gonna take about $36.99 to sound like complete poo poo on your player.

(I'm only mostly kidding. Those random coloured vinyl they've been putting out over the last year often sound bad. I'd rather have a black vinyl version of this compilation, but que sera, sera.)

A friend of mine got to help press a few hundred of the records earlier this week and he was told that the band is having the plant really step up their quality control for this.

They'll still probably be really noisy, but I hope not.

Here's the official, final Record Store Day list: http://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/2868

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

traveling midget posted:

I am admittedly ignorant, but this is the first RSD I'll actually be participating in. These pressing counts are super low.. am I supposed to hit up my favorite store and hope they have one copy of Cursive's Burst and Bloom reissue, for example? And hope I'm the first person who wants it?

Your best bet is to go to your local record store now and ask if they're going to be getting it.

I think the deadline for ordering has already passed, so you can't really ask them to order one for you.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I've never really had any trouble getting the stuff I want. Last year I asked one of my local stores that doesn't do much for RSD if they could order and hold some stuff for me, which they did, and I just went to another store the morning of to get the stuff the store wasn't able to get. They're doing the same thing for me this year.

I didn't have any problems the first three years without having stuff held for me, either.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

WASDF posted:

Wish I knew how much money some of these things coming out on Record Store Day were. I'd like to get some stuff, but I'm not sure how I can budget them with my $200 RSD/Concert money for that month.

Looking to pick up:

The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Death Grips - The Money Store
Animal Collective - Transverse Temporal Gyrus (maybe)

and maybe Grimes - Visions if it's just hangin' around.

You can find prices here: http://vvinyl.com/s/record_store_day/

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Lately I've been working on filling in some of the gaps in my Lips collection. Here's what I got today:

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - Original US PIAS pressing
Broncho - Can't Get Past the Lips - Garage rock band from OKC

And two old issues of a zine called The Bob:

The flexi on the left has live covers of Led Zeppelin's Thank You and Sonic Youth's Death Valley 69, along with tracks by Steve Kilbey and the Fleshtones. The yellow ones have a cover of Life on Mars? and a track by the Lemonheads.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

LtTennisBall posted:

How's the Death Valley 69 cover? I'd imagine they could do something cool with that track.

I've always liked it, even though Wayne blatantly only knows the chorus. It's a loud, noisy mess.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDYDVYD5R4Y

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Judoon Platoon posted:

So Third Man just announced their Record Store Day releases. Including playable etchings and liquid filled vinyl. :stare:

Styx and Split Enz both put out records in the 80s with playable etchings. I'm not sure why TMR are touting this as an innovation.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 31, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Styx - Paradise Theater. I have this one.

Here's the Split Enz one:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Surfingelectrode posted:

Styx and Split Enz both put out records in the 80s with playable etchings. I'm not sure why TMR are touting this as an innovation.

Third Man changed the description on their site. It now says:

"This is an entirely different process (and look) from your Styx and Split Enz records from the 80’s. No lasers, holograms, or rainbows are involved in this playable etching."

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Floodixor posted:

Does everyone use Discogs? I really like it - it's the best way I know to track and organize my collection. I also like when folks share on here - it's like if I go to someone's home who has records and immediately have to browse their collection. I'd be interested in seeing some of ya'll's collections on here.

Mine: http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=Floodixor

Here's mine:

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=surfingelectrode&sort=artist%2Casc

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

From my experience (and from what a postal worker actually told me) people spend the extra money for priority because is risky with shipping records. Priority mail involves much less handling of the package and media mail involves a bunch of poo poo getting slammed around. I don't often send out records, but when I do I absolutely do not send them media mail. I'm sure plenty of you have had no issues with it, but I prefer not to take the risk. Same goes for when I buy them, although I notice a number of sites that sell LPs don't even offer media mail.

I've been buying records online for years and have never had problems with media mail. I just like getting priority sometimes when the extra cost is negligible because I hate waiting for stuff to come in.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Your assumption is correct. It's just a roundabout way of saying it's an original pressing. Records didn't have barcodes on the covers until sometime in the late 70s. The cover of Devo's second album, Duty Now for the Future, was a parody of that new trend.

That album is way underrated. Are We Not Men? is a classic, but Duty Now just feels more DEVO. It's probably my favorite album of theirs.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Got this today:

It's Joe Preston's release from the series of solo EPs that the Melvins did back in 1992. All of the packaging matches that of the KISS solo albums from the 70's:

Got it sealed and End of an Ear even threw in a free slipmat. Can't wait to see the Melvins in two weeks.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Hey, is that an Ikea shelf? I really need something like that, because my cat always wants to stand on my records, and I'm always like, "gently caress you, cat."

Yeah, it's a 4x2 Expedit. They're really nice/cheap.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Holy poo poo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1413

This family is going to make so much loving money off of this. Look at how many they have:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

That Jack White flexi on eBay is now up to over $2,500 and with a few days still left to go.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

It's now up to $3,051.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1413

I like that this one record will cost more than it did for Third Man to make a thousand of them.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

It's been said before and I still believe it. Record collectors are pretentious assholes. I'm not excluding myself from that assessment, either.

Here's some stuff I've gotten recently:

Why did I buy these? I hate picture discs.

And here's all of my Lips 7"s:

I only need five more.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I think I read somewhere that the release might have been canceled.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Can you dig up where you read it by any chance? I was really excited about this and it was the only thing I was going to try to get on RSD. I couldn't find anything suggesting that it wasn't going to be released and it's still listed on Last Gang's website.

From some store in Canada:

"Also, to many other's disappointment, it is looking as if all or many pressings of the DFA reissue have been canceled for Record Store Day. We, of course, placed orders but have been given no confirmation as to this album even being available for RSD.

Thanks for your interest.

Edward @ SonicBoomMusic"

Edit: Whoops, didn't see it posted above.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 16, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1182

Sold for $4,238.88.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Flaggy posted:

I am trying to find a copy of Heady Nuggs, I am guessing that ebay is the best place to do it unless you guys have ideas on a better used record store on the net?

You can get a new copy for $105 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004RAW4Q2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

theradiostillsucks posted:

RSD is a huge ripoff, especially once you see the prices on a lot of the stuff coming out. And it's not even stores marking this poo poo up exorbitantly but rather the high prices the labels charge wholesale for most of it. It's basically a way for major labels to put out what are often no-effort releases (see: almost every RSD 7") that have name recognition and be able to sell out of an entire run at inflated prices without having to worry about overstock or returns (as none of this poo poo is returnable).

That David Bowie picture disc 7" coming out on Saturday costs $18.

For a 7". Two songs.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Solar Jetman posted:

What vinyls do you think are most eBayable (highest profit margin)?

Liquid-filled Jack White 12".

One already sold for $3500.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

If anyone outside the US wanted the Flaming Lips album, you can get it here:

http://flaminglips.com/shop/item/1417/the-flaming-lips-and-heady-fwends-%28rsd-release%29/

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Alright, so there are two versions of the Flaming Lips album. One has a Doctor Who sample on "2012" and one has Henry Rollins recreating said sample. You can only tell which one you have by checking the matrix codes (it mentions Doctor Who on the ones that do) and the Rollins one is rarer.

I've got two copies of the Rollins version and would really like to get one with the sample. I'd be willing to buy/trade for one if anyone has it. Thanks.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

thebigpicture posted:

So the matrix on the 1st LP side A says something in addition to "YOU AND ME WE KNOW THAT LOVE IS TRUE 1202X39-D1-S1-M2-RC1 A+R DALLAS SPGII" ?

As far as I know it says:

"YOU AND ME WE KNOW THAT LOVE IS TRUE 1202X39-D1-S1-M1-RC1 A+R DALLAS SPGII YOU MUST BE UPGRADED. THANK YOU DOCTOR WHO!!!"

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's what I got:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

traveling midget posted:

A dude on reddit's copy of Heady Fwends came SIGNED by Wayne. Holy poo poo.

I've seen people on a few board get signed ones. He went to the plant earlier this week and signed 40-60 random copies.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Xarthor posted:

I decided to be conservative this RSD so I only got two things.

The Preteen Zenith LP is pretty swank. Both the disc and the art cover are hand numbered and of course all the swirl discs are slightly different.

For those of you who don't know, Preteen Zenith is the new side-project from Tim DeLaughter of Tripping Daisy and Polyphonic Spree. If you like either of those bands you'll like PTZ.

That Preteen Zenith album is great. I just wish I got one of the cooler covers.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I saw a thing on tv about this guy who owns a shop called Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh. He owns so many records he has to live in a loving warehouse. He kept filling up houses with records, so finally he just decided to live in a warehouse. I believe they said he owns 1 million records or something insane like that. Sometimes he just gives away whole boxes of records for free.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTnj50NVJg&feature=related

It's pretty depressing.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I just finished up my Flaming Lips 7"s collection yesterday with the last two things I needed. Here it is:

I hate picture discs, but now I've got eight more of them. Great.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Blendy posted:

Went shopping yesterday, had a Groupon and gift-card to this place called Transistor. Here's what I picked up:

As luck would have it turns out the copy of Bloom is the pre-order "Loser Edition" with glow in the dark sleeve, worth double what I paid for it yesterday!

All copies of Bloom have a glow in the dark sleeve. The difference between the Loser and the regular editions is the color of the records.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

david puddy posted:

e: Does anyone know how I should store this thing? I imagine having it vertical in its delicate plastic sleeve will cause a lot of wear to it and I don't want that to happen.

Take the record out and put it in a plain inner sleeve, then put that and the cover separately in a plastic outer sleeve.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

It's ok. I just wanted you to feel bad for lording it over everyone. I probably would have done the same thing. Anyone paying super high prices for the pink Evol disc is stupid because that series of Sonic Youth reissues also had standard black vinyl pressings that are readily available.

I'm pretty sure the black and colored versions cost the same. I got all of my Sonic Youth ORG reissues for free out of the whole Heady Nuggs thing.

I wish that ORG would reissue Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty, Experimental Jet Set, and Washing Machine. I know that the box sets for the first three are easily available, but I don't like those.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I'm not saying that it necessarily does. But all the problems I've ever had we with colored discs. It's possible that sometimes when they press stuff on colored vinyl they use lower quality poo poo or something in the process isn't attended to as well. Or it could be just a coincidence. I have plenty of colored discs that play fine as well. In fact I have some that are really great sounding records.

The colored versions of those albums were limited editions. I think of 300 or 500. It was a fairly low number anyway. They were the same price in stores, but I guess on the secondary market people are paying way more for them. And I don't know about the rest but there is a Daydream Nation reissue. It's not ORG but it has four discs. The extra discs have live tracks. I don't have it so I can't say how it sounds, but it's only 35 bucks for a 4 LP.

Are people really spending a bunch of money on them? All of the colored reissues are available on the band's store.

I used to have the Daydream Nation and Goo boxes, but didn't really like them. I like my original Enigma Daydream Nation a lot more. I just wish it still had the poster that came with copies of the album.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I'm curious to see how much this winds up selling for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Strip...d#ht_552wt_1163

One of those sold for $16,000 a few years go.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Just for the hell of it, here's some cool stuff I've gotten recently:

Beach House - s/t
Neon Neon - Stainless Style
Sleep - Dopesmoker

The Flaming Lips - Hear It Is - First pressing, was sealed when I got it.

And the newest Graveface Record Club package.

I really wanted to go to Goner Records when I was in Memphis the other day, but didn't get the chance. I'm kind of glad, now, since I'm kinda broke at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

That's a really nice looking package. Just bought a copy.