Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just picked up Boardroom and Curia, it's pretty interesting. It outlines some ways to interact with large groups in a more gameable way, sort of like the Company rules in Reign do. As with a lot of GURPS books, I think it's more useful for providing a framework to think about the material it's covering than it is for actual rules, but it's given me a lot of food for thought.

I like that it presents granular scales for things like member loyalty and the time it takes for the organization to respond to a problem in an official and institutional manner, and how those things can play off each other. For example, an organization whose members are actively looking for better jobs are less likely to bust their asses for their bosses, so it'll take longer to get the guild to issue you a trading permit, or whatever.

It's not necessarily something that's going to be great for giving you big dramatic rolls at the table, but it's the kind of behind the scenes GM-facing material that I really like from the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How do you guys stat-up NPCs/monsters? Looking on the internet hasn't brought me anything more than "well, it all depends, because a 100-point dude with mostly combat skills is going to be a much bigger threat than a 100-point dude with mostly social skills" when what I'm really looking for is how much to-hit, dodge, damage reduction, health a monster should have relative to the players?

Am I just going to have to look at player stats and go work on probabilities from there on out?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
What setting are you looking at? Templates offered in most sourcebooks should give you a baseline to work off of. The "How to GM GURPS" book also talks about how to template out stuff, in addition to Dungeon Fantasy. You can freely mix and match philosophies from that, but creating a sensible template usually involves picking one that you see in a book, adjust to correct power level by reducing damage/HP things, etc.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you guys stat-up NPCs/monsters? Looking on the internet hasn't brought me anything more than "well, it all depends, because a 100-point dude with mostly combat skills is going to be a much bigger threat than a 100-point dude with mostly social skills" when what I'm really looking for is how much to-hit, dodge, damage reduction, health a monster should have relative to the players?

Am I just going to have to look at player stats and go work on probabilities from there on out?

You basically just want to look at the stats your players have and match the enemies to those, yeah. I'll just c/p from How to be A GURPS GM:

quote:

For an even match, simply make the adversaries’ average skill, defenses, damage, and DR equal to the PCs’ averages in those areas. You can probably vary one up a point or two if you vary another downward a similar amount. To make things tougher, raise one or two numbers without lowering anything. To make things easier, drop a score or two without raising anything. Don’t try to evaluate every last special consideration . . .just eyeball it (“Okay, the guy with the bow is a Weapon Master, so I had better give him lower defenses to keep him even.” “Hm, the guy with the spear has Berserk and probably won’t even defend himself, so I’ll give him better armor to even things out.”).

For example, for a party consisting of three adventurers with DR 4, DR 6, and DR 8, the average DR is 6 – to be a threat, evenly matched enemies should be able to inflict at least 7 points of damage on an average attack, whether by sword stroke, arrow shot, gunfire, or whatever. (Also keep in mind how different damage types interact with different types of armor – see p. B282.) If the three PCs dish out damage on an average attack of 5, 7, and 9 points, respectively, the average attack is 7 – opponents with a DR less than 7 are likely to be wounded quickly, while those with a DR of 7 or more have a better chance of surviving long enough to inflict some damage of their own.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Swagger Dagger posted:

You basically just want to look at the stats your players have and match the enemies to those, yeah. I'll just c/p from How to be A GURPS GM:

Well shoot, it's certainly nice to see one's conjecture be officially validated. Thanks, I'll have to give that book a read-through too.

EDIT: Just realized what I have is Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering and not How to be a GURPS GM. No wonder I've never read it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 5, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you get some of the Pyramid issues that have pre-made adventures like the Martial Arts issue, they typically include stats for the mooks and major enemies in them. If you're using untrained thugs that the PCs are supposed to slice to bits, you can always have them do their attack and defense rolls at default or something like 10 or 11.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Has anyone ever used the Infinite Worlds setting? While the basic idea is interesting, I get the impression that it's not really all that popular; probably because it's pretty overwhelming.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Has anyone ever used the Infinite Worlds setting? While the basic idea is interesting, I get the impression that it's not really all that popular; probably because it's pretty overwhelming.

I've played in a couple of IW games, and I've found that you either need to run really tight, focused adventures so that each session or two is on a new, wacky world, or go the completely opposite direction and decide on a couple of worlds that you really want to get deep into, with some sort of intertwined story arc tying them together. A halfway approach just tends to disappoint the people in the group that want one or the other.

Another thing is that you really have to sit down with your group and figure out what kind of characters they want to play before you pick worlds to send them to. Since people can make basically anything they ever want to play in IW you have to take care not to send your party with one guy who does nothing but magic into a world that's a total null magic zone, or send Ms Swashbuckler into a WW1 trench warfare story.

A successful game just revolves around a lot of pre-planning and communication, really. When every option is available, narrowing it down to what you want to focus on is especially important.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 5, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah, I've used the IW setting

[Yeah, I've used the IW setting].

My advice is more for PBP, than regular play.

The first thing that needs to be done is to set down ground rules for the players to follow. Figure out what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable. Make sure the players understand the setting. For example, if the GM plans on having a world hopping game and want to use the published worlds, then its best that all the characters can pass as human. Non-human characters are likely to get the short stick in such a situation. A GM has to be careful that players aren't stuck with unsuitable characters.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

One of these days I am going to sit down and read your whole adventure, DocBubonic, I promise you that.

Sorry to post questions non stop like this, but has anyone here played a high powered GURPS game? In the TG Chat thread it was said that GURPS works best with a low power level, but I am curious of what exactly happens if you give your players lots of points to deal with. I imagine you need to be tighter with restrictions of what is on the table and what isn't, but does the system really not support that kind of game?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

paradoxGentleman posted:

One of these days I am going to sit down and read your whole adventure, DocBubonic, I promise you that.

Sorry to post questions non stop like this, but has anyone here played a high powered GURPS game? In the TG Chat thread it was said that GURPS works best with a low power level, but I am curious of what exactly happens if you give your players lots of points to deal with. I imagine you need to be tighter with restrictions of what is on the table and what isn't, but does the system really not support that kind of game?

see: goldmine, GURPS Black Ops, by WinsonPaine

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
GURPS Monster Hunters starts PCs with 400 point templates, a bunch of options for powers, expanded uses of wildcard skills, and a new magic system that feels like a crunchier version of WoD Mage. I ran a campaign for a year and realized two things: it works best with people who actually know how to make use of the new stuff, and that "high-powered" options like Wildcard skills are not the game-breaking boogeymen they're made out to be in the core book. Being able to write "Blades! 15" instead of the two dozen skills for individual bladed melee weapons, combat-related social skills, various athletic options, care and repair, etc. is so much easier.

I'm not gonna say it's "more fun" than getting super-detailed and gritty with your game options, but it's certainly a different kind of fun.

E: Also, MH is as close as 4th Edition is gonna get to Black Ops. If Wildcard skills were a thing in 3e, you bet your rear end Black Ops would have used them.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

The thing about high-skill level GURPS is that those long lists of modifiers that your group may or may not have cared about start to really matter, because once you have Pistols [TL7]-24 you can start doing things like an aimed headshot (or better, eyeshot) while running and expect to hit most of the time. Think of the modifier lists as viable maneuvers once you can eat one or two of the penalties and still be rolling at 12+. For magic this primarily takes the form of being able to cast without fatigue costs, which really changes things up enormously compared to only being able to cast a few spells before you need a good long nap.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This presumably means that an high level gunslinger has a very good chance of insta-killing most realistically statted humanoids, and a good number of beasts, I'd imagine. But that seems like something that you can still work around as a GM.

Magic with no cost seems trickier. I can think of a few spells that can really change the game if they can be spammed. I am not sure if they can break the game but they can be tricky.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

paradoxGentleman posted:

This presumably means that an high level gunslinger has a very good chance of insta-killing most realistically statted humanoids, and a good number of beasts, I'd imagine. But that seems like something that you can still work around as a GM.

Magic with no cost seems trickier. I can think of a few spells that can really change the game if they can be spammed. I am not sure if they can break the game but they can be tricky.

depends on your tech level, most armors at 9+ are going to have full helmets that take away the ability to eyeshot

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

Thanks! I'm happy with how the game is going, but it did take a while to get sorted out. At times I feel like I'm still trying to figure things out.

Lynx Winters posted:

E: Also, MH is as close as 4th Edition is gonna get to Black Ops. If Wildcard skills were a thing in 3e, you bet your rear end Black Ops would have used them.

I think Winson did a conversion of Black Ops to fourth with Wild card skills for each of the departments.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

What you do is you increase the difficulty so they need to start taking penalties to hit against truly threatening enemies. Against mooks they can make one-shot kills with ease (sometimes multiple kills per turn), but then you make them face someone with the same skills that forces them to dodge and take risky shots and fire while on the move and do lots of neat stuff. Basically you want your potential gunfight to look like anywhere from Max Payne to Equilibrium in terms of difficulty and cool stunts required.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DocBubonic posted:

Thanks! I'm happy with how the game is going, but it did take a while to get sorted out. At times I feel like I'm still trying to figure things out.

I think Winson did a conversion of Black Ops to fourth with Wild card skills for each of the departments.

For real? I just took a look at my newly bought BO sourcebook and went "ack, this looks like a hassle to do in 4E".

Where can I see it?!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
He did a private recruit, I don't think I have the guidelines he gave out. If you have archives, the thread is here:

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2256307

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't. Should get around to it soon, though :allears:

E: What username does Winson have these days? I should PM him.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tias posted:

I don't. Should get around to it soon, though :allears:

E: What username does Winson have these days? I should PM him.

Winson_Paine

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So I don't know if anyone here has run anything like this, but I got a request from some friends to run a game based on serious hardcore dungeon crawls. Think Darkest Dungeon. Tightly tracked supplies, unrelenting lethality, mental disorders from stress, all that.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to do this worth a drat?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

MohawkSatan posted:

So I don't know if anyone here has run anything like this, but I got a request from some friends to run a game based on serious hardcore dungeon crawls. Think Darkest Dungeon. Tightly tracked supplies, unrelenting lethality, mental disorders from stress, all that.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/dungeonfantasy/) is a series written about using GURPS for dungeon crawls. I can't comment on lethality, though, since while I've read a lot of it, I haven't played it.

Edit: The basic character templates are based off 250 points, so players will start off as capable delvers, not plucky peasants, so the monsters tend to take that level of capability into account.

Edit2: If you want lower-value players, Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen has templates for weaker characters, apparently.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 26, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I know this is the GURPS thread and all, but the premise of "low-level shitfarmers enter a dungeon simply because it is there, and they'll be easily killed by the dungeon until someone manages to gain a few levels by sheer Darwinism, and you'll have to track encumbrance and all sorts of poo poo" is exactly the kind of thing old-school D&D is built for

If it really has to be done in GURPS though yes Dungeon Fantasy is your thing.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 26, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know this is the GURPS thread and all, but the premise of "low-level shitfarmers enter a dungeon simply because it is there, and they'll be easily killed by the dungeon until someone manages to gain a few levels by sheer Darwinism, and you'll have to track encumbrance and all sorts of poo poo" is exactly the kind of thing old-school D&D is built for

If it really has to be done in GURPS though yes Dungeon Fantasy is your thing.

I'd say use DF rules, but make sure the characters are no more than 100 points.

If you really want to go hard core check out torchbearer and convert the rules that pertain to things such as encumbrance, duration of light sources, and maybe stress?

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

MohawkSatan posted:

Also consider GURPS Horror for setting the meatgrinder-y mood.

e: GURPSLand has 100-pt. Dungeon Fantasy templates.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

Not GURPS but I've heard good things about Dungeon Crawl Classics from Goodman Games.

http://www.goodman-games.com/dccrpg.html

I think it's this one: http://www.goodman-games.com/5070preview.html

Supposedly you roll randomly from a table of Lv0 characters that can start with equipment from a stick to 100 candles without a light source. If your character survives through the dungeon you get the opportunity to become a Lv1 classed character. And some of the initial classes are like "goblin accountant".

RPPR reviewed it favorably here: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/04/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-113-van-art-gaming/

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
GURPS has specific armor locations, detailed encumbrance rules, fatigue, willpower and health checks for various bad things that happen like taking serious wounds, and so on. Mental disorders I don't know if it was covered anywhere except for GURPS Horror and Basic (they would be some pretty serious Disadvantages). 100 to 150 points is about enough to get some skills and be a slightly better than average joe - Dungeon Fantasy templates assume 250 points instead.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

aldantefax posted:

GURPS has specific armor locations, detailed encumbrance rules, fatigue, willpower and health checks for various bad things that happen like taking serious wounds, and so on. Mental disorders I don't know if it was covered anywhere except for GURPS Horror and Basic (they would be some pretty serious Disadvantages). 100 to 150 points is about enough to get some skills and be a slightly better than average joe - Dungeon Fantasy templates assume 250 points instead.

Basic Set should have plenty of Disadvantages for mental illness and disability, as well as the Fright Check table. I think Horror adds more things related to it but I haven't read it as much as Basic Set and High Tech.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

chitoryu12 posted:

Basic Set should have plenty of Disadvantages for mental illness and disability, as well as the Fright Check table. I think Horror adds more things related to it but I haven't read it as much as Basic Set and High Tech.

Yeah, I'd say if you wanted to do a low powered dungeon crawler with mental disabilities then Basic + Horror + Low-tech (if you want to be very gear heavy). You can use the treasure tables in Dungeon Fantasy 13 or 14 to generate all sorts of loot, like seventy five pounds of tiger pelts.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

aldantefax posted:

seventy five pounds of tiger pelts.

Fun challenge for the whole gaming group: randomly generate the treasure first, than create a dungeon that could logically contain that sort of treasure.

Hard mode: no dragons.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 27, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aldantefax posted:

Yeah, I'd say if you wanted to do a low powered dungeon crawler with mental disabilities then Basic + Horror + Low-tech (if you want to be very gear heavy). You can use the treasure tables in Dungeon Fantasy 13 or 14 to generate all sorts of loot, like seventy five pounds of tiger pelts.

it was jaguar pelts!!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Captain Foo posted:

it was jaguar pelts!!

Yeah, and there were skunks (badgers?) that bit your nuts off and exploded in acid clouds too. Anyway, the point is, it's totally doable for everything that MohawkSatan is looking for. I like using the GURPS Character Assistant for this because it is very stringent about things like special materials for Dungeon Fantasy in addition to weight, encumbrance calculation, what armor is equipped where (and thus what armor values are on what body part), and configurable loadouts. Add in the way GURPS tactical combat works with positioning and HEXES and you're in for a knuckledragger that is a little more internally consistent than AD&D 1e and so on was with a more friendly critical curve (see the rules on margins of success, Rule of 3, rule of 17, etc).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aldantefax posted:

Yeah, and there were skunks (badgers?) that bit your nuts off and exploded in acid clouds too. Anyway, the point is, it's totally doable for everything that MohawkSatan is looking for. I like using the GURPS Character Assistant for this because it is very stringent about things like special materials for Dungeon Fantasy in addition to weight, encumbrance calculation, what armor is equipped where (and thus what armor values are on what body part), and configurable loadouts. Add in the way GURPS tactical combat works with positioning and HEXES and you're in for a knuckledragger that is a little more internally consistent than AD&D 1e and so on was with a more friendly critical curve (see the rules on margins of success, Rule of 3, rule of 17, etc).

Scrote-seeking wolverines

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Has anyone ever run The Madness Dossier? Just curious about how something like that would play.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Scrote-seeking wolverines

The exact point where you lose your will to live:

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ay0vORM_460sv.mp4

E: I suddenly got an amazing/horrible idea - are Kobolds statted out in any GURPS supplement?

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 28, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tias posted:

The exact point where you lose your will to live:

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ay0vORM_460sv.mp4

E: I suddenly got an amazing/horrible idea - are Kobolds statted out in any GURPS supplement?

I haven't found anything official, but there's this http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/m:kobold

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Going back to the chat about how to tell what kind of a challenge NPCs are from a few weeks ago, I just got around to looking at Pyramid 77 and it has a good article on calculating how threatening monsters will be in a Dungeon Fantasy game.

It basically gives you formulas to figure out how effective the party's offense and defense are, and then you compare those numbers to the same numbers for whatever monster you want to use to find out how much of a threat to the party it is. It's a bit of work, but the ratings for all the monsters in Dungeon Fantasy have been done for you, at least.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

So I asked in the What System should I use Megathread for a *Souls themed game, and my requirements pointed me here apparently. I checked out Lite, liked it and grabbed the Basic Set. Any recommendations on other supplements I should pick up? I have about 6 months to prep for this, but there is a ton of material in GURPS to go over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TaintedBalance posted:

So I asked in the What System should I use Megathread for a *Souls themed game, and my requirements pointed me here apparently. I checked out Lite, liked it and grabbed the Basic Set. Any recommendations on other supplements I should pick up? I have about 6 months to prep for this, but there is a ton of material in GURPS to go over.

Dungeon Fantasy is basically "D&D with GURPS" as a sourcebook, and will help with ideas and character templates for a medieval fantasy dungeon dweller. Low-Tech provides tons of historical information on human technology in every category (from weapons and armor to power generation and mining), which can help if you need to flesh out the universe with some authentic medieval-era tech or get ideas for new items or plots from it.

• Locked thread