Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TaintedBalance posted:

So I asked in the What System should I use Megathread for a *Souls themed game, and my requirements pointed me here apparently. I checked out Lite, liked it and grabbed the Basic Set. Any recommendations on other supplements I should pick up? I have about 6 months to prep for this, but there is a ton of material in GURPS to go over.

You mentioned wanting to be able to use XP for currency, and Power Ups 5 is about that: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/power-ups/power-ups5/

You could look at Low Tech and some of its supplements for lots and lots of weapons and armor. http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG31-0108 | http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1662 | http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-loadouts-low-tech-armor

For modelling the particulars of Dark Souls combat, I think you're going to be coming up with your own houserules. I googled "gurps dark souls" just to see what people were talking about, and people seem to like the Action Points system in this issue of Pyramid as a good starting point for emulating the stamina system in the games.

I don't really know much about the Souls magic stuff, so I'm not sure what you'd do there. If you just need a few self-contained special abilities you'd be better off looking at Powers or maybe Psionic Powers than trying to grapple with the whole GURPS magic system, which is probably the worst thing about GURPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So, if someone wanted to stat up Atomic Robo in GURPS, what all do you think would be needed?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

MohawkSatan posted:

So, if someone wanted to stat up Atomic Robo in GURPS, what all do you think would be needed?

Lots of Wild Cards. Science! Guns! Punching and Kicking and Throwing! I think that about covers what Dr. Atomic Robo Tesla gets up to.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't really know much about the Souls magic stuff, so I'm not sure what you'd do there. If you just need a few self-contained special abilities you'd be better off looking at Powers or maybe Psionic Powers than trying to grapple with the whole GURPS magic system, which is probably the worst thing about GURPS.

The only thing I remember about GURPS magic is that everything has a ray spell. Fire, ice, shadow, light? Rays. Radiation magic? Have a Ray.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

The only thing I remember about GURPS magic is that everything has a ray spell. Fire, ice, shadow, light? Rays. Radiation magic? Have a Ray.

It is Generic in almost every possible meaning of the word, which is probably why there are so many variant GURPS magic systems out there. Almost all schools have a series of stock spells which have varying levels of appropriateness; our group's favorite was the Rain of Nuts spell which was available to our Botany School mage. He would have been a lot less useful had we not been using the Hermetic magic system from GURPS cabal, where being able to conjure any plant on command is worth +1 to any spell roll.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
In order to keep this thread out of the archives I'm posting in it again. I've been thinking about how damned well GURPS would do Mad Max. Good survival rules? Check. Ability to make extremely personalized vehicles(stat them up as an ally, works magic, believe me)? Check. Absurd assortment of weaponry from multiple TLs for characters/vehicles? Yup. Boatloads of general equipment and skills? Hell yeah.

So now I'm making characters for a game that nobody is running :smith:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

MohawkSatan posted:

In order to keep this thread out of the archives I'm posting in it again. I've been thinking about how damned well GURPS would do Mad Max. Good survival rules? Check. Ability to make extremely personalized vehicles(stat them up as an ally, works magic, believe me)? Check. Absurd assortment of weaponry from multiple TLs for characters/vehicles? Yup. Boatloads of general equipment and skills? Hell yeah.

There was a splatbook called CarWars (I think it was GURPS based) that did a lot of stuff for this kind of mood. It was a fun enough system.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There's a brave, poor soul over at Tumblr who is trying to make a GURPS fanbook for Homestuck. I tried to help him a little but the task is unspeakably scary.
Godspeed to you, little buddy.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CCKeane posted:

There was a splatbook called CarWars (I think it was GURPS based) that did a lot of stuff for this kind of mood. It was a fun enough system.

Autoduel?

I think I saw it in an ancient catalogue.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's a brave, poor soul over at Tumblr who is trying to make a GURPS fanbook for Homestuck. I tried to help him a little but the task is unspeakably scary.
Godspeed to you, little buddy.

Do you have a link? I actually had this idea a while ago, but I've got nobody to playtest it with, so I decided there were better uses of my time.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Autoduel?

The updated Autoduel used the much hairy-eyeballed GURPS Vehicles rules.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Epsilon Plus posted:

Do you have a link? I actually had this idea a while ago, but I've got nobody to playtest it with, so I decided there were better uses of my time.

Here you go:
http://sgurps.tumblr.com/

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

MohawkSatan posted:

I think ACTION! has rules for car chases and such.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DocBubonic posted:

I think ACTION! has rules for car chases and such.

Indeed it does - Action 2 Exploits.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The chase rules in Action! 2 are up there as one of the best things in a GURPS book in years. Mad Max and similar car-based action movies don't give a gently caress about the car stats, just how fast do it go and how many times can it get smashed by another car.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Autoduel?

It COULD have been Autoduel, but I really thought it was CarWars.

I played a game with that. It fell apart really quickly but the flavor was pretty cool and it was fun to do crazy things like throw bowling balls at your enemies while driving right at them.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
What are people's experiences with varied point-values for players? My current game (where I made sure everyone was on the same value) is coming to an end. On the one hand, it's lovely to penalise people for not being able to play, but on the other hand I want to reward people for good roleplaying and keeping an adventure log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know, some people just buy into gaming at different levels. The ones who engage in heavy role playing and keep adventure logs are likely doing it because they enjoy that level of involvement. For some people, stuff like an adventure log reeks of homework, and they are just there to have low effort fun. From personal experience, if you treat people and their rewards differently based on their level of involvement, you are likely only to reinforce the people who are already that involved, and the people who aren't will probably just disengage further. Its a game, playing is the reward, and most people are playing to the level they feel like playing to

I suppose you could, if this sounds amenable to you and your players, hand out rewards for Adventure logs and good role playing, but give them out to the whole team, regardless of who performed the activity. This means everyone stays roughly level, and the activities you want to encourage are being encouraged because they are benefiting everyone.

In all honesty, you should probably just run your idea's by your players and get their input, as they are more likely to know what they want out of the game than we are.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 12, 2015

• Locked thread