Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

AzCoug posted:

Here a blackjack tip: I realize the $5 tables are "beginners" tables, but for God's sakes, if you don't know how to play the game, don't sit at 3rd base (last chair on the left) and gently caress up the whole table with your stupidity!

Mathematically, the rest of the table's odds are the same whether the guy at 3rd base adheres to basic strategy or makes terrible plays. It's just easiest to blame him as it's most apparent. His bad moves also help the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

AzCoug posted:

Negative. When the dealer has a 6 and everyone at the table stays besides the idiot at 3rd base (or where ever he may be) who ends up taking the dealer's bust card and they make a hand, my odds just went from 100% to 0%. Granted, the seat its self doesn't matter that much, because he could have done that at the center of the table while everyone else stayed and the end result would be the same. But at the end of the day, 3rd base has the final say and can easily gently caress up a hand.

I've lost way more money from his bad moves than I've made. And I don't stay long enough to actually witness if his bad moves "help" the table.

If a guy is playing basic strategy and we lose, I'm not going to blame him just because he's in that seat. His dumb rear end play makes it apparent, not the seat, I realize that. So yes, if you don't know what the gently caress you're doing and you cost the whole table a win, I will blame you...no matter where you sit.

It's not based on your personal experience. Read this. I don't like seeing anyone make an incorrect play that leads to me losing, but I understand it just as easily could've been a win.

quote:

Over almost 1.6 billion rounds, the loss of the first player to act was 0.289%, and the second player to act of 0.288%. So the house edge of the basic strategy playing first player was almost the same, regardless of whether the second player played correctly or wildly incorrectly. I hope this puts and end the third baseman myth, but I doubt it.

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!
I like sitting at third base and can't be scrutinized at the table since I play almost perfect basic strategy. People don't usually get the whole hit on soft 18 vs. a dealer 10 thing though, among a few other basic strategy moves.