Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
If only Honda separated the ABS from the DCT on their bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Radbot posted:

I like riding a Honda CTX700 because men don't come up to me to compliment it regularly, which is cool because I'm not into dudes.

It's a cruiser... That doesn't look like a cruiser.

I like it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Only thing I've heard is multiple reports of buffeting from the windshield. Other than that people love it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Only thing I've heard is multiple reports of buffeting from the windshield. Other than that people love it.

Windshields are the devil's work.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

So is hvac.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

qft

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Radbot posted:

I like riding a Honda CTX700 because men don't come up to me to compliment it regularly, which is cool because I'm not into dudes.

I love the CTX700 and would probably buy one for commuting if it didn't cost more to insure than an R1.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Straight up quotin'

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

VERTiG0 posted:

I love the CTX700 and would probably buy one for commuting if it didn't cost more to insure than an R1.

That's ridiculous. What year R1 is that compared to?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

I've had two co-workers buy one and both binned them within 90 days. Both guys were brand new riders fresh out of the MSF who bought their CTX700 to commute on, because they seemed reasonable. Anecdotal I know, but I wonder if it's a pattern.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They seem like such tame bikes though. It's a 670 P-twin.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Insurance doesn't care only about image or ccs, it's more about what they pay out on. Makes some sense if lots of people are buying them because they're 'good for beginners' and then totalling them. More than an R1 is surprising but I've seen weirder on insurance. ER-6 and ER-6Ns having way different quotes and I think state farm categorized my fz6 as a 'cruiser' instead of a 'sportbike' which made it cheap.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Your insurance $$$$ is almost directly related to the # of people who have owned and wrecked the bike insured with whatever company you go with. Jap SS's have astronomical insurance rates because because squidbros buy them and bin them out the dealer.

Meanwhile I'm paying $1k/yr through Geico for my RC8R because nobody owns them.

So in short: Buy a KTM.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was just wondering how people wreck them so easily. It's not like it's a powerhouse of a bike.

:hfive: for State Farm FZ6 rates.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

Your insurance $$$$ is almost directly related to the # of people who have owned and wrecked the bike insured with whatever company you go with. Jap SS's have astronomical insurance rates because because squidbros buy them and bin them out the dealer.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat, so few people have my bike that Nationwide coulnt't even spell it right so now according to them I ride a Husqzarna.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

I was just wondering how people wreck them so easily. It's not like it's a powerhouse of a bike.

:hfive: for State Farm FZ6 rates.

Noob mistakes combined with a financed bike and its required collision coverage. Brake while leaned over: payout. Target fixate into a ditch: payout. They're pricier bikes before they're totaled than Ninja 250s and SV650s too so that plays into it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Digital_Jesus posted:

I pay 500 a year full coverage with mad coverage from progressive on my Sportster... :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I pay 500 a year full coverage with mad coverage from progressive on my Sportster... :getin:

That's still somehow more than I pay for full coverage and roadside assistance on my ridiculous 130 RWHP literbike in a year.

e: just got my renewal notice last month, this is what they're charging me:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 5, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm at like $480/yr for decent full coverage in the city in a "bad" zip code for theft and vandalism on a big expensive plastic coated bike

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
While we're on insurance, I was whining about this to #bieks while looking for a new stupid-expensive naked to blow my hard-earned money on. Both are quotes for a 30 year old single rider with 7 years experience, no tickets, through Progressive for the Western PA area:

Ducati Monster 1200S: $607/yr full coverage, $500 deductible for comprehensive and collision

BMW S1000R: $1,894/yr full coverage, $1,000 deductible for comprehensive and collision

I know the BMW is supposed to be a lot better of a motorcycle than the Monster is, but what the gently caress? Own the Ducati for 3 years and you can afford to buy a good spare dirtbike with the savings to go have fun on. :shepface: I'm almost terrified to quote a Kawasaki Z1000R or god forbid an actual supersport.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Geico ~365 a year for the SV, 100/300/100. My comprehensive deductible is $50 (yeah fifty), not really sure why, but not gonna complain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh weird, wouldn't have expected the single R to be that expensive. I have a buddy with one, but he's not seeing insurance rates anywhere near that. Did they accidentally quote you as a S1000RR?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

While we're on insurance, I was whining about this to #bieks while looking for a new stupid-expensive naked to blow my hard-earned money on. Both are quotes for a 30 year old single rider with 7 years experience, no tickets, through Progressive for the Western PA area:

Ducati Monster 1200S: $607/yr full coverage, $500 deductible for comprehensive and collision

BMW S1000R: $1,894/yr full coverage, $1,000 deductible for comprehensive and collision

I know the BMW is supposed to be a lot better of a motorcycle than the Monster is, but what the gently caress? Own the Ducati for 3 years and you can afford to buy a good spare dirtbike with the savings to go have fun on. :shepface: I'm almost terrified to quote a Kawasaki Z1000R or god forbid an actual supersport.

The S1000 is the second most powerful naked bike on the market, where the Monster is designed to go between a garage and a coffee shop. There's a very different type of rider attracted to those bikes.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Oh weird, wouldn't have expected the single R to be that expensive. I have a buddy with one, but he's not seeing insurance rates anywhere near that. Did they accidentally quote you as a S1000RR?

I'm honestly as shocked as anyone else. I remember seeing the quote on the webpage and doing a double-take, thinking the computer had to gently caress up a decimal point. Then I got an email with the same exact numbers, so, yeah.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The S1000 is the second most powerful naked bike on the market, where the Monster is designed to go between a garage and a coffee shop. There's a very different type of rider attracted to those bikes.

Yeah it makes sense in the end, I guess. I bet there are a gently caress-ton of S1000RRs and S1000Rs binned on a regular basis as compared to the Monsters. Internet motorcycle bench racers and wanna-be Isle of Man riders always seem to flock to the bikes with the highest HP numbers, which means they're most likely to be the first destroyed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Mine is 1200/yr. 100/300/100 limits. comp, colission, uninsured etc.

In vegas it was 250 a year or so for the same.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ripoff posted:

Sounds like a real..... :dukedog: Ripoff

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
State Farm full coverage and roadside on an "01 HD Ultra Glide- $243.22 a year.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The difference between "full coverage" and "maxed out medical" was 200% for me. I hope all you $200/year people have more than 2 grand for medical expenses that come with bare "full" policy. Or really good and forgiving heath insurance

As for stupid poo poo... Before shopping for my last bike, I had Progressive agent read me numbers over the phone. They seem to have a cruiser and non-cruiser category, where displacement is multiplied by a factor and that's that. Really lovely when trying to shop for CB1100, Boneville or something docile.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 5, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nitrox posted:

As for stupid poo poo... Before shopping for my last bike, I had Progressive agent read me numbers over the phone. They seem to have a cruiser and non-cruiser category, where displacement is multiplied by a factor and that's that. Really lovely when trying to shop for CB1100, Boneville or something docile.

I bet at least one of those fall into their cruiser category. Preorder canceled!

For me, through Progressive, going from a cruiser to a sporty sort of thing was like a 100% jump... to about $200/year.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Either I am getting really screwed on my rates as an over-40 with a spotless record and zero claims, or Progressive Insurance actually knows what my ZX-14R is capable of and they want to collect from me while they still can. I'm paying like 2500/yr and that's after stripping it to as bare as I can get with "full" coverage. :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

ADVRider is a great forum because there's some good info, and some gems like this:

quote:

can i transport gas in a coke bottle
the coke bottels fit great, the plastic, is think.... any ideas

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

deliverator posted:

Either I am getting really screwed on my rates as an over-40 with a spotless record and zero claims, or Progressive Insurance actually knows what my ZX-14R is capable of and they want to collect from me while they still can. I'm paying like 2500/yr and that's after stripping it to as bare as I can get with "full" coverage. :(
I hope you have a fantastic health insurance, because they'll pay for an ambulance ride and that's it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Geico ~365 a year for the SV, 100/300/100. My comprehensive deductible is $50 (yeah fifty), not really sure why, but not gonna complain.

Between better insurance rates and multiple orgasms, I'm starting to think peeing standing up ain't worth it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

deliverator posted:

Shop around, sounds like you're getting hosed.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just to make sure, if you have good health insurance (including low emergency care deductible), you don't have to carry the medical auto insurance as well, right? Or have I been/am I being a huge idiot

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

M42 posted:

Just to make sure, if you have good health insurance (including low emergency care deductible), you don't have to carry the medical auto insurance as well, right? Or have I been/am I being a huge idiot

With how much health care is in the US, you always want as much health coverage as you can get. You could easily max out your lifetime cap on a lot of health insurance plans just from one good wreck and be left with a lot of out of pocket cost.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro

Z3n posted:

Shop around, sounds like you're getting hosed.

Wow, you're right. 15 minutes has saved me fifty percent on motorbike insurance! :j:

I'd been putting off renewing with Progressive and stressing over how much loving money it was going to be, guess I'm going back to Geico. In fact I only quit Geico because their stupid site wasn't working the day I bought my previous bike and I couldn't get my policy updated.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

With how much health care is in the US, you always want as much health coverage as you can get. You could easily max out your lifetime cap on a lot of health insurance plans just from one good wreck and be left with a lot of out of pocket cost.

Thankfully ACA did away with both the yearly and the lifetime cap.

Also maxing out my auto medical (a measly 10k) literally quadruples my yearly payment :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Pope Mobile posted:

I had them quote me an '09. This is in Ontario, Canada, land of legally allowed insurance industry assfucking. It's with State Farm, any other motorcycle insurer would be at least twice as much as State Farm wants.

Hooray State Farm.

• Locked thread