Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Sigtrap says the local Honda dealer carries both types of bikes: dirt bikes and cruisers.

It's pretty accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

All motorcycles are crotch rockets or harleys.

I still haven't found an easy way to explain what my KLR is when schlubs ask me "What kind of bike do you have?".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

"What kind of bike do you have?".

"It's a Keylar"

"Uh..ok, cool."

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
babyeatingpsychopath posted:

All motorcycles are crotch rockets or harleys.

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah-HA, trap sprung!

The only REAL motorcycles are Harleys :fsmug:

Sportsters are not REAL Harleys...

ERGO, a Sportster is an imaginary crotch rocket.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Marv Hushman posted:

Dallas overpasses + Christmas '09 ice storm + Texans who've never seen ice, let alone driven on it or had to remove it = FEAR OF GOD.

:colbert: 2011 storm but who's counting

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I recently crashed, and I'm still hopping around in a cast because of it. I had two people ask me today if I've sold my bike yet.

[this isn't a spoiler]poo poo no, I'm gonna ride it to work as soon as I can stand.[/this isn't a spoiler]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 28, 2011

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Break that cast and ride. :colbert:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Safety Dance posted:

I recently crashed, and I'm still hopping around in a cast because of it. I had two people ask me today if I've sold my bike yet.

poo poo no, I'm gonna ride it to work as soon as I can stand.

I've heard this before when I mentioned a recent crash where I wasn't injured. At the time it had happened 9 mos. previously and the guy, my acting teacher, says "Do you still ride?" I'm sure people don't think about it because they simply don't understand motorcycles, but it doesn't make sense to me. Do you quit driving because you had an accident? Do you quit walking because you've once tripped and had a fall? I'd like to meet the guy who gives up that easily.

...OTOH, I have met people who started to ride, never learned how to do it right, crashed after not too long, and gave up because they were scared. So I guess it has some grounding in reality.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It makes sense if they equate motorcycling to horseback riding, downhill skiing, skydiving or some other purely recreational activity with a risk of injury. But driving a car is just the way the human transports itself.

Get well soon Safety Dance. Is the Safety Dance harder to do in a cast? (you can now put three dicks on your overheard list :v: )

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Perhaps it is the perspective on motorcycling. To me, motorcycles aren't recreational, but affordable transportation. I'm aware that's a minority perspective though.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

Perhaps it is the perspective on motorcycling. To me, motorcycles aren't recreational, but affordable transportation. I'm aware that's a minority perspective though.

Affordable transportation? Hahahahahaha.

I purchased a 1986 Mazda B2000 pickup for $1200 that got 25mpg and needed nothing for 20K miles except oil changes, one set of brake pads, and one set of tires. I sold it to the state for $1000 when I was done with it as part of a clean air program.

A motorcycle is not more affordable than a beater car if you look at the total cost of ownership over time.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

MotoMind posted:

Affordable transportation? Hahahahahaha.

I purchased a 1986 Mazda B2000 pickup for $1200 that got 25mpg and needed nothing for 20K miles except oil changes, one set of brake pads, and one set of tires. I sold it to the state for $1000 when I was done with it as part of a clean air program.

A motorcycle is not more affordable than a beater car if you look at the total cost of ownership over time.

I hear this all the time and I will never convince anyone otherwise, but this has never been my experience. I'm sure you must think I am some sort of wizard or perhaps a black magician. But it's actually very easy and even passively has been more affordable than owning a car for me.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Synonamess Botch posted:

I hear this all the time and I will never convince anyone otherwise, but this has never been my experience. I'm sure you must think I am some sort of wizard or perhaps a black magician. But it's actually very easy and even passively has been more affordable than owning a car for me.

I agree wholeheartedly. This bullshit fuel cost/reg maintenance program this forum talks about is not realistic. The first time I dinged my bike I laughed like a mad man. The first time I dinged my car and the AC went kaput I cried like a small child. Fuel, chain, sprocket, and oil are nothing. AC, full shock/spring overhauls cost as much as a starter bike.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The best stupid thing I've heard was posted on a local forum. Someone made an innocuous post in which they mentioned they preferrred not to put their bike in neutral when stopped and this guy went off on a big tangent about how you should always do that any time you stop because you never know when your clutch cable will snap and gently caress you up. His reason for this? In the 80's some guy he was riding with had his clutch cable snap while waiting at a level crossing and lurched into the train.

The best part? The poster who mentioned never doing it had a hydraulic clutch bike.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
In his defense the hydraulic hose could burst.

But yeah that's pretty dumb, if you're at all worried about that, just hold the brake at the same time.

And anyway I've accidentally popped the clutch at idle and the bike just lurches a foot and dies. Maybe he has the extra heavy flywheel mod

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The best stupid thing I've heard was posted on a local forum. Someone made an innocuous post in which they mentioned they preferrred not to put their bike in neutral when stopped and this guy went off on a big tangent about how you should always do that any time you stop because you never know when your clutch cable will snap and gently caress you up. His reason for this? In the 80's some guy he was riding with had his clutch cable snap while waiting at a level crossing and lurched into the train.

The best part? The poster who mentioned never doing it had a hydraulic clutch bike.

kind of already said but ya how close would he have to be to the train to lurch into it? the bike would die after a foot and if it didn't how would he not manage to hit the brake in time?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

blugu64 posted:

:colbert: 2011 storm but who's counting

Beauty bike there...

20 West was apocalyptic, and I know the term gets overused. Vehicles of every description flipped, crashed, and otherwise immobilized on the side of the road...I think I stopped counting at 100. It was Christmas, so they were there for the duration. SUVs shooting onto the highway at speed and out of control, not realizing their traction was coming to an abrupt end. Super ramps that angled skyward and you just sort of prayed you and the semi in front didn't slide backwards from a standstill. Wall to wall traffic near Cisco because no one could negotiate the hills, and the ice had formed this weird stalagmite road surface. Hellish--even with four wheels. Yeehaw!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SaucyPants posted:

kind of already said but ya how close would he have to be to the train to lurch into it? the bike would die after a foot and if it didn't how would he not manage to hit the brake in time?

I'm guessing way too close.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. This bullshit fuel cost/reg maintenance program this forum talks about is not realistic. The first time I dinged my bike I laughed like a mad man. The first time I dinged my car and the AC went kaput I cried like a small child. Fuel, chain, sprocket, and oil are nothing. AC, full shock/spring overhauls cost as much as a starter bike.

I have never done AC or shocks on any of my cars. If you can't pogo stick on the bumper of your car you're doing something wrong. If you don't keep up on that kind of maintenance with a bike you will die. Again, TCO is what counts here. Just to get into motorcycling you need to buy about $1000 worth of safety and inclement weather gear to get anywhere near the functionality of a car.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

aventari posted:

In his defense the hydraulic hose could burst.

But yeah that's pretty dumb, if you're at all worried about that, just hold the brake at the same time.

And anyway I've accidentally popped the clutch at idle and the bike just lurches a foot and dies. Maybe he has the extra heavy flywheel mod

Or he was revving it like a tit.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

MotoMind posted:

I have never done AC or shocks on any of my cars. If you can't pogo stick on the bumper of your car you're doing something wrong. If you don't keep up on that kind of maintenance with a bike you will die. Again, TCO is what counts here. Just to get into motorcycling you need to buy about $1000 worth of safety and inclement weather gear to get anywhere near the functionality of a car.

It depends on your car. I got into motorcycling for two reasons. One, I've always wanted to. Two : I had a 350z at the time, and I drove a lot. Gas had just broken the $2.50 a gallon mark, and was pushing $3.00 for premium. I did the math, and gas costs alone were pretty drat close to a bike payment. If I rode my bike often enough, I might be able to break even.

I was right, and once I got my 599, I realized I had a vehicle that was far faster and sportier than the Z, not to mention cost a fraction to insure. I sold the Z and bought an SUV to tow trailers to track days, and saved money in every possible way.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Pagan posted:

I was right, and once I got my 599, I realized I had a vehicle that was far faster and sportier than the Z, not to mention cost a fraction to insure. I sold the Z and bought an SUV to tow trailers to track days, and saved money in every possible way.

Yeah, this. I can't look at sport cars the same way again. With the world clogged up with so many cars, it's not really fun driving in traffic. You become one with the parade of giant slugs, while on your sportbike you can just sluice through.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

aventari posted:

I did this on my DRZ by accident at a busy intersection the day after I upgraded the carb. The idle was still all screwed up so it was giving itself a bunch of gas. Got to watch the bike shoot out from under me and wheelie itself into the middle of the intersection. Yeah...

felp
Dec 12, 2005

Many years ago when I got my very first bike (80's honda vtr250) I was riding with a friend and we pulled into a dead area and I thought I'd do a burn out. I had the bike in neutral, loaded up a poo poo load of revs, dropped it into gear (while holding onto the breaks) and completely filed away the inside of my gearbox. Nothing anyone ever tells me about motorbikes will ever be as dumb as I was.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Out here in Dubuque Iowa there has been a rash of "Loud Pipes Save Lives!" In solidarity they've been revving their bikes all over the place as they leave the bars at 2am.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Skreemer posted:

Out here in Dubuque Iowa there has been a rash of "Loud Pipes Save Lives!" In solidarity they've been revving their bikes all over the place as they leave the bars at 2am.
There's been a bunch of rants about this on craigslist here lately and those people have blessedly been in the small minority. I was happily surprised.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

felp posted:

Many years ago when I got my very first bike (80's honda vtr250) I was riding with a friend and we pulled into a dead area and I thought I'd do a burn out. I had the bike in neutral, loaded up a poo poo load of revs, dropped it into gear (while holding onto the breaks) and completely filed away the inside of my gearbox. Nothing anyone ever tells me about motorbikes will ever be as dumb as I was.
This is fantastic and I wish I could hear the sound it made.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
At a gas station today some Bubba walks by me as I'm putting on my helmet, getting ready to ride off on the GS500.

"Couldn't afford a real bike, huh?"

No dipshit, I had to settle for an imaginary one.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Megabuttes posted:

At a gas station today some Bubba walks by me as I'm putting on my helmet, getting ready to ride off on the GS500.

"Couldn't afford a real bike, huh?"

No dipshit, I had to settle for an imaginary one.

I like it when this happens, as it's a chance for me to snap back with "looks pretty loving real to me, where's yours?" This is especially effective when they are about to get into a pickup truck, or a car, or even better, a minivan.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I try to avoid conversation with non-bike people in general now because I've found them to consist solely of me correcting misconceptions of theirs or just nodding my head at their stupid loving stories of their stupid loving relative who hurt themselves and inspire them to save me from myself.

I told a friend I dumped my bike in the mud today in a stupid mistake and got the "Oh, you going to quit riding?" From a 2 mph u-turn drop. Yeah, that did me in.

felp
Dec 12, 2005

Z3n posted:

This is fantastic and I wish I could hear the sound it made.

It honestly sounded like a robot screaming in pain, while smoke came out of my pipe and the engine tried very hard not to die.
Still road it to the mechanic some how, he didn't even believe me when I told him I road it there.

One of my mates once asked me if I was afraid of the petrol (gas) tank exploding into my balls during a crash.

ModestGenius
Oct 21, 2010
A gem from my younger brother...

"If in winter, you are cold, stay out of the wind by riding in a lorry's slipstream"

My brother's a bell-end

**Lorry = 18 wheeler type truck for non UK goons**

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you ride a 600 sportbike, you can never win.

You get "too scared of the 1000, huh :smugdog:" from other sportbikers, and "couldnt afford a real bike, huh :reject:" from the harley riders.

In fact, I propose the :reject: emoticon as the official "that harley rider" emote. Its a fat, bald guy with glasses whose frown says "I'm trying to be tough, but am secretly scared of getting bugs on my chrome". Does not apply to normal harley riders.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 29, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I had a Harley rider say, "I'll race you, first one who has to stop for gas loses". I guess Harleys are the pinnacle of fuel economy now too? :confused:
I'm pretty confident that Harley doesn't make a single bike with the range of a Ninja 250, but I could be wrong.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
For the most part my experiences have been pretty good with Harley riders. I used to hang out at a local biker bar a lot and their attitude was always " 2 wheels is 2 wheels." Where you run into idiots is usually at the Tim Horton's or the local park that everyone cruises through/ sits and tries to show off their cool toys.

However one guy I used to work with was just crazy. He was a tiny little man who was covered head to toe in tattoos and was bitter at everyone. He was also dumb, he tried convincing me Korea was IN Viet Nam. Anyways one day he bought himself a nice Sportster 883, and this officially made him the coolest, hardest biker in the bakery. I had my interceptor at the time so of course my Japanese motorcycle was inferior to his. Then the most wonderful thing happened.

At the end of the day we got into an argument over motorcycles and some customer called his bike a "womans bike" his way of combating this was to shout at the top of his lungs " HARLEY-DAVIDSON WAS ONE MAN WHO BUILT BIKES ON HIS FARM FOR A LIVING WHAT THE HELL IS A HONDA ANYWAYS ITS NOT ANYONE" ( I wasn't even part of the conversation at the time). I correct him that Harley-Davidson was actually 4 men and that Honda was a man too. He left work pissed off and tried to display his anger through his exhaust pipes. Too bad he forgot to put his feet down at the upcoming stop sign. Bike falls over, bike falls on him, he is pinned. This guy was a real misogynist so the icing on the cake for me was watching 2 women help him out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SaucyPants posted:

At the end of the day we got into an argument over motorcycles and some customer called his bike a "womans bike" his way of combating this was to shout at the top of his lungs " HARLEY-DAVIDSON WAS ONE MAN WHO BUILT BIKES ON HIS FARM FOR A LIVING WHAT THE HELL IS A HONDA ANYWAYS ITS NOT ANYONE" ( I wasn't even part of the conversation at the time). I correct him that Harley-Davidson was actually 4 men and that Honda was a man too. He left work pissed off and tried to display his anger through his exhaust pipes. Too bad he forgot to put his feet down at the upcoming stop sign. Bike falls over, bike falls on him, he is pinned. This guy was a real misogynist so the icing on the cake for me was watching 2 women help him out.

This is the best story.

To contribute a little, I guess: For close to two years I have been getting back into motorcycles through mopeds, doing a lot of tuning and modding and generally going way too fast on a children's motorbike. My most recent project is a 60+ mph Honda PA50, which gets about 40mpg. On a moped, even a modded one, you can't win. People look at you funny, motorcyclists don't think you are cool enough to get a wave, some people laugh... the only people who ever really talk to you about it are weird guys who want to tell you about the moped they had in the 70s or early 80s that of course went 50 mph and got 200 mpg. I do get a kick out of telling people my bike only gets 40mpg, though, after they say "gas saver, huh!?" Note that this isn't my daily driver, it's basically a rally-only bike.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 29, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

nsaP posted:

I try to avoid conversation with non-bike people in general now because I've found them to consist solely of me correcting misconceptions of theirs or just nodding my head at their stupid loving stories of their stupid loving relative who hurt themselves and inspire them to save me from myself.

I told a friend I dumped my bike in the mud today in a stupid mistake and got the "Oh, you going to quit riding?" From a 2 mph u-turn drop. Yeah, that did me in.

Don't forget people's general apathy too. So you just slalomed through a college campus on the way to work on your gsxr'ified SV650 using your new mounted HD camera? Who the poo poo cares. Let's focus on all the $100,000 cars that we'll never be able to buy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the walkin dude posted:

Don't forget people's general apathy too. So you just slalomed through a college campus on the way to work on your gsxr'ified SV650 using your new mounted HD camera? Who the poo poo cares. Let's focus on all the $100,000 cars that we'll never be able to buy.

I really cant understand lusting after hugely expensive cars. I mean, I can understand it from a "hey thats a cool car" standpoint, but thats about it. I know guys who spend all their time reading about, watching videos of, and lusting after 6-digit cars that are exclusive, rare, and essentially unobtainable.

I, and millions of other bikers around the planet, have a bike that cost $10K or under, and can basically smoke anything you'll find on the street.

I understand that rolling around on my champagne colored 2000 Bandit 12 doesnt have nearly the wow-factor of owning any supercar, or high end sports car, but if you're truly interested in performance, bikes are like being able to buy a Lamborghini for pocket change.

I know I'm in the vast minority among the motoring world, and most people dont understand that view.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 29, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phat_Albert posted:

If you ride a 600 sportbike, you can never win.

You get "too scared of the 1000, huh :smugdog:" from other sportbikers
I took all the stickers off my bike, looks almost identical to the 2008 ZX10R. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phat_Albert posted:

I know I'm in the vast minority among the motoring world, and most people dont understand that view.

I drive a Fiat Panda, cars in that price range are just about what I can afford new. If buying used, I could probably afford a 5-6 year old 2-liter medium sized sedan or wagon. I could probably never afford a high-performance car or an exotic of any kind.

Yet, on a bike that's 15 years old, was bought outright for a handful of cash, can be fixed on my sidewalk with basic tools, does 35mpg and costs me about the same in insurance yearly as dinner for two at a fancy restaurant, I can out-accelerate anything on four wheels short of a supercar.

The price/performance ratio on motorcycles still blows my mind.

• Locked thread