Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I thought this track was pretty interesting to I picked up the EP and unfortunately it was still the only one I liked out of the three. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than it's dark and it gets me moving.

Migrant - Pipe Club

As a side question, why do people download vinyl rips? I thought the point of having vinyl was that the quality of analogue was so much better than digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Good thing the topic o' the page is Bassline, I was just about to come in here with some I enjoyed. I was diggin into this dude Kavsrave, who in his own way reminds of me of Girl Unit, but through some searching for more of his stuff I found his new label mate A1 Bassline and immediately loved it. Hopefully it gets a revival, I mean to me it just makes sense with how a lot of people are feeling about dubstep now and if you were to ask me to distinguish it between Future Garage I'd find it difficult.

Edit: I don't think Distance is capable of making a bad track.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 24, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

That A1 Bassline track isn't Bassline, UK House/Juke/Future Garage...

See, I wasn't lyin was I haha

I dunno, still havin some issues with genre distinction but it seems to be a common problem so I'm not sweating over it too much. I've liked everything anyone has said is Bassline so far anyway. That and the A1 song didn't sound all that far off from the sticky track so I just assumed.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 24, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Kastle is probably old news for some but for anyone that doesn't know of him he kind of falls somewhere between Loefah and SBTRKT, both of whom I've been addicted to the past month or so. I've been eating up his Time Traveler EP so I grabbed a few mixes he did on his main site to review today.

Is there anyone outside of Night Slugs I would enjoy that's similar to Jacques Greene? I don't think this is coming off of my flash drive anytime soon. I love when it just strips down to all that bass pressure and builds back up again. Absolutely perfect.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

There wasn't anything I didn't like out of the recommends, thanks guys. I've been eatin' up Gravious, especially Temple Ball(almost sounded like Plastician's Japan v2.0), and that Scuba track was pretty interesting too. The only one that really stuck with me from the Saigon release was Lodestone because it reminds me so much of the heavy dark dub-y stuff you would expect out of Kromestar.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

beeps-a-palooza posted:

first attempt at a proper UK bass tune: http://soundcloud.com/blackasaurus-rex/kid-fisto-the-future-ep-full

too bad baltimore rarely, if ever, have bass music nights. it's usually pretty cheezy electro and brostep stuff

I wasn't particularly fond of the intro but once it really kicked off it definitely had me bobbin my head. You'd be surprised how fast it can catch on, man. All it takes is playing a few parties with the right people and in no time you'll have your own night at a local pub or something. I suggested Koreless last week at a local dubstep night and now a lot of people want to hear him more than they do Skrillex and that's a pretty big deal around here. Hell there are people that already want me DJing at a bar in downtown Ft. Worth because of my choice of music and I barely know how to do it.

Oh and going back to the Orphan101 recommend, Under the Radar is really really loving cool. Am I right in thinking that this is just perfectly executed work with a synth? Me and him have the same first and last name apparently :tinfoil:

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Koreless btw has a new track on the Brownswood Electric 2 sampler 12". Not actually on the CD itself bizarrely, just the sampler. Check out the CD while you're at it. It's all over the shop style wise but it's really good, might be something you might like there.

Oh poo poo thanks for the heads up, It's Away too! I've been waiting for the official release on it ever since I heard the Boiler Room Mix. Just bagged it with the Ghostpoet Survive It 12" Ahahaha I'm so excited :neckbeard:

Edit: In the last thread someone posted a link to a good vinyl site that shipped from the U.S., does anyone have any ideas or know which one I'm talking about? I'm having trouble finding it.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 3, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I just about poo poo myself the first time I heard the Jimmy Mack Remix since that was probably one of my favorite songs growing up. Is this one of those situations where it's just a bootleg and if it ever gets released it'll be maybe a short stack of white labels?

Has anyone heard of Damu? I picked up the record on that link and I'm severely loving Beat of Zen and Mermaid. If y'all have been enjoying Nguzunguzu like I have I wouldn't be surprised if you enjoyed that record too.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Goddamn dude, I might as well have "Wow, thanks for the heads up" on my clipboard at all times. Great stuff.

For those of you who despise Mt. Eden you might find this pretty funny. I did an interview with them a few months back and it's getting edited right now but while I was talking to them, and by the way these guys are incredibly humble and very nice dudes to just be around, but they were talking about remixing things and how some weren't all that difficult to work with. For some reason I decided it was a good idea to say "oh you mean like that Omen 'remix'" and put the air quotes out. That room got soooo quiet. For those who don't know here's what I mean. They took it in stride though and we stuck around and drank at their hotel. They played some new unmastered tunes for me, and though it probably wouldn't excite many in here, they separated themselves from the wobble and it's nice to actually see someone's sound develop.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Picked up this vinyl earlier, it's a pretty interesting listen the whole way through. Has that haunting feel Vex'd puts out.

Dreadnought - Caroline

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

To contribute to the reggae spree, I enjoyed what Yoof put out using some pretty classic samples.

http://youtu.be/SV8JyeQp0DE - Murderer
http://youtu.be/WA4PL3sESPw - Back 2 Hackney (Sample: R.I.P.)

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 1, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Does anyone know of a good bassline resource?

I found a couple okay blogs but it doesn't hurt to have more.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Two Beans posted:

Here's a couple Dubstep tunes I've put out recently.

The loving Moon
http://soundcloud.com/two-beans/2b-v-ecc-the-loving-moon

This is stellar. That's the kinda bass pressure that makes heads turn around here, if you don't mind I'm gonna stick this in a mix.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

I sent this list to HatchetDown a few months ago:

Sworn to it ever since, thanks again man it's definitely helped me keep current.

For content I ran into this CD "Joint Ventures" last month and I've been jammin it since. It's Baobinga collaborating with a lot of upper tier producers like Hyetal, Untold, Xxxy, Roska, and Mensah. Not to mention a drat decent jungle track with Jack Sparrow. Here's a few of my favorites.

TransPennine Express w/ Jack Sparrow

Barbakan w/ Xxxy

Baobinga - Make Me Feel

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Mike_V posted:

FYI: Bok Bok's doing some sets around the US starting tomorrow (I think), so go if you live in Denver, LA, NYC, Houston or Phoenix http://nightslugs.net/bokbok

I wish I had the funds to do trips to Houston for music. So much poo poo passes Dallas by, especially DJs. Instead we get Busshunter every two weeks it seems.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Anacostia posted:

I'm looking for more suggestions in the line of: Blawan, Objekt, Jack Sparrow, Randomer...

Back to this, I think you might dig DJ Rum. Here's a few from his newest Mountains EP.

Mountains Pt.1
Undercoat

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Went and saw Skrillex last night, one of the best shows I've been to in a while. My ears are still ringing and I wish I had a time machine to go back to the start.

I was at the Dallas show and agree, but I honestly think that 12th Planet outdid Skrillex. His set was sick and that dude knew how to get the crowd goin. Throwin out basslines that gave me the ability to feel every corner of my sinus cavity. Foreign Beggars got me pretty excited too, I didn't think I would get to see them play and promote Grime in Texas.

Not to say Skrillex was bad by any measure and that MoCap stage set was pretty awesome.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Foreign Beggars are UK Hip Hop.

Correct!

Foreign Beggars posted:

Alright how many of you out there know about Grime?

A fraction of the crowd cheers, they explain what it is, rap over some Grime and the show goes on. That's called promoting :eng101:

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Was 12th Planet the guy right before Skrillex, cause I did enjoy the poo poo out of his set. I did not enjoy Foreign Beggars though, if that was the 3 guys rapping over bass lines, thought one or two songs were alright and the rest of the time I concentrated on getting drunk and looking at all the fine ladies.

Yep that was him, and with ya on the ladies part. During 12th Planet's set this couple just started straight up banging. Not even all that gracefully either, like the world was about to end. So the DJ and/or the precise mixture of drugs they were on must've been doin somethin right. I did the sensible thing and gave him dap :mmmhmm::respek::huh:

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 1, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

isomerc posted:

Just finished the last track from "The Capsule Life EP."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL8tzDvNCyk

This is crazy good. Ya think of sending it to Distance? He always plays underground artists at the beginning of his Rinse mixes and this seems right up his alley.

Lookin forward to the full release.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

isomerc posted:

Thanks a bunch man. I've got a lot more on the way.

I'd love to send it in to him, but I'm having trouble finding a channel to do so. Any idea where I should go for that?

As soon as I went and looked on his twitter someone asked him that precise question and according to him it's chestplate@hotmail.co.uk

If I end up hearing you on one of his next mixes I'm gonna lose my poo poo so good luck!

Oh and as a side Rinse related question, does anyone know what the track was they were using for the 17th Bday ads?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

a milk crime posted:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/worldtour/london/

Who is everyone going to be watching tonight? I think I'll be watching the Hessle show most likely, though I'll probably watch some of the Jackmaster set and maybe some of the Night Slugs set, it'll be hard to choose though,

Wait, are they streaming this online?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

http://haywyremusic.com/

This is one of those guys I really hope to see hit the top. He's got so much going for him.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Maguro posted:

He sounds like your average wobbler to me. I clicked that link and was rewarded with horrible tunes.

He's a pretty sharp pianist and I thought he was decent at creating an atmosphere. Sure he still throws wobbles into his tracks but I still wouldn't group him in with producers like this. Especially since the basslines aren't always the centerpiece (nor would I consider them 'average' by YouTube producer standards) and he rarely if ever relies on drops of any sort. Is he mind-blowing? Not really. But to say his tunes are horrible is an injustice. If he isn't great he's at least drat decent.

Enjoyed your tune too by the way

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Pandora has been a lot more helpful than I thought it was going to be, like showing me a lot of Caspas much older stuff and Kamek The Dope Computer all coming off of Skream & Benga radio.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

^^^ Aren't you just impressive with your grasp of sarcasm. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to talk to you.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Going to the Bassnectar concert in Dallas on the 31st and am super pumped, anyone else seen the show elsewhere?

I was supposed to go but I opted out because I lost my job recently. I went last year when it was sold out and hopefully it will again because that show was fantastic. By the end of the it me and my friend were sitting in the back of the Palladium with our backs against the wall buzzing from all the bass. Won't forget it, it was my first sold out show. Hopefully he does some sort of Halloween thing, I'd be surprised if he didn't. I hope you have a blast and try and squeeze as far up front as you can before the end of it so you can get in on his "family photo". Have as much fun as you can possibly muster, enough to compensate for me while I begrudgingly hand out candy on my front porch.

Alas, I have to settle for doing an interview with Zeds Dead when they come to Trees in November. I've really been trying to get this interview series together and getting whoever I can but so few good bass producers come to the Metroplex except for the really bro ones. Caspa was here last March but I wasn't even aware and apparently he went to Insomnia. Don't know if you're local to the area or if you're familiar with it but Insomnia isn't really the most respectable venue there is. It's the strip club that Vinnie Paul (& Formerly Dimebag) of Pantera owns and turns into an after hours rave club on the weekends. I once walked out of there at 8 in the morning and a dude showed me a fistful of differently pressed and colored tabs without batting an eye and being pretty loud about it if that tells you the quality of its patrons or its neighborhood. The pics I saw of Caspa just had him drenched and four sheets to the wind. Just gone. Don't necessarily blame him or judge but that's pretty much the scene here.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 27, 2011

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

You going to either day of Lights all Night?

As much as I'd love to I still haven't found a job yet and 100 bucks for just one day is too much. I might still try to snag an interview or two either way haha.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I don't know if anyone has caught this already, but Adult Swim puts out a lot of free and awesome music sometimes and the latest seems to be right up this thread's alley. There's also two interviews with Pinch and Actress.

Adult Swim - Unclassified

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Subtle posted:

Been hearing this non-stop on rinse...Swindle & Footsie over a massive wobble actually done well.Catchy as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0xkQzeOEo

God drat, thank you! I've been wanting to know who did this for a while.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

At the very end of the ad for the Rinse Boxing Day show there's a sample from "Walking in the Air". Does anyone know what track that is or if they just kind of decided to throw that in?

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

GetDarker and Chestplate stuff have been pretty much ruling my playlists as of late.

Seems like every time Distance mentions Sleeper something deep, dark, and dope streams into my ear. I'm pretty much going to have to snag Zombies as soon as it releases.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

a milk crime posted:

this is a jam (Dub Phizix and Skeptical feat Strategy - Marka)

This is crazy good and the video is mesmerizing to say the least.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Hey Maguro, I've run into your tunes a couple times on different forums now. Looks like you're doin something right, great job dude.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I remember someone in this thread or the last one saying "Now That's What I Call Dubstep" as a joke and sure as poo poo they jinxed it.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I heard on a recent show who it was going to be but I can't remember for the life of me. My brain says Boy Better Know but I doubt it.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Is anyone else excited about Jacques Greene's new label? I'm crossing my fingers for a Koreless release since he's already featured on the inaugural release.

Flatline

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

It's been a while since I heard anything from him. Was the album the last thing he's done? That was a good while ago now.

He did two tracks on Baobinga's Joint Ventures album. In fact he was on one of my favorite tracks. The guitar sampling gets me every time.

Guido & Baobinga - Bumba

Edit: Apparently he just released one this month, which I bought blind on principle, and if you enjoyed Anidea you might as well grab it up.

Micro X/Vessel Dogs

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 22, 2012

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

So... Rusko and Cypress Hill are working together.

http://www.factmag.com/2012/01/23/cypress-hill-and-rusko-announce-collaborative-ep-stream-a-track-inside/

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I really enjoy Randomer's patterns and how varied and specialized all of the percussion is but I never get quite enough bass out of him. Is there something I'm missing or does anyone have any recommendations along the same vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Edit: ^^^ Gorgeous track dude. That's most definitely wax worthy.

Oh absolutely, I loved 116 & Rising. I'm just the kind of merch whore that would have bought that shirt but I don't have the kind of money to justify having a t-shirt sent from the UK by itself. If there was a shirt with the Swamp 81 logo however, I might just have to adjust my standards.

I guess that's what I meant though, that rather than those kick jabs I enjoy some steady pressure, like on Puzzled.

Edit again: Spin has the first track from the Cypress/Rusko album up for download.

http://www.spin.com/articles/how-i-could-just-skrill-man-hear-cypress-hill-go-dubstep-rusko

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 25, 2012

• Locked thread