Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The new Eski LP is solid as always, but what happened to the two singles that came out a few weeks ago? I guess they were too pop for this record?

e: oh he has another album out next month :sweatdrop:

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

infinity2005 posted:

Ok that basically covered everything you could have wanted in the mainstream hardcore sense except maybe Awesome 3 - Don't Go which felt like it was the biggest of all (played in like EVERY set that i've heard). Now it'll be interesting to see the other side of things,cause there's too much to cover.

Acen was definitely dark stuff, and from what i read in surprisingly some random Amazon comments is that it was about a girl called Faustine he was with.

When Faustine and Acen were still together, his music retained the ethereal and dreamy quality I had come to love. On the night that Acen found Faustine in a drug-induced coma outside Ministry of Sound, he came to my house in Leicester Square and recorded Window in the Sky in Faustine's memory. I sang the vocals. Yes, that night, Faustine had passed through the window in the sky and entered another dimension of New Beat, a dimension in which Acen and I were not welcome. Their relationship ended soon after Faustine awoke in the hospital. It was hard for Acen to accept the fact that Faustine was no longer the carefree little girl from Rotterdam we had all grown to love. She was now distant and cold, always dancing by herself or with her pet owl in the balcony of Camden Palace. I think Acen's pain is reflected in much of the tracks on 75 Minutes, especially Window in the Sky. ---Chippewa von Furstenberg

Hahahhahaa why is someone writing fanfic about kitchy 90s hardcore? "My house in Leicester Square"...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Terror Danjah's refix of Admiral Bailey's "Jump Up" is coming out on Greensleeves next month. It's not on the level of that Ding Dong / The Bug cut, but a nice tune anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlNyEeEuQbU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Velvet Elvis posted:

I need to correctly label the music I'm currently listening to. Is Figure dubstep, drumstep or brostep?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAqaglR4uw&feature=related

If this is in fact brostep and I like it, does that make me a bad person?

This is really really loving bro. And it sucks. What ever that implies about your personality, I do not care enough to discuss.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Do you support Motherwell? They signed MyPa's manager Harri Kampman after we played them in the UEFA cup (or maybe the cup winners'), but he didn't last long. Dude is an unbearably stuck up bastard, decent coach in his day, we finished second five years in a row under him (it was hilarious).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Wow I totally forgot he was even our manager for a bit. I was going to say he must've signed Simo Valakari, but he was there a couple of seasons before. He did sign Mikko Kaven but he wasn't so hot. Mind you it probably would've helped if he could have spoken English.

Bah why am I complaining at least he signed people. Unlike now where we get left with some out of contract folk and English Championship players loaned to us. Scottish football, it's poo poo outside the Old Firm and no-one else has any money.

Haha, Kavén was a pretty solid keeper in his top form, third choice for Finland for a while, and goalkeeping is the only area where we've consistently produced top European level players. I think he's still technically active, but his club went bankrupt last year and I'm not sure if he's signed anywhere else yet. Valakari was always wank for the national team though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Valakari was with us for a good 4-5 years but never once scored a single goal. Fantastic on the ball though, great passing skills. Don't know why we ever let him go. To be fair to Kaven he probably was better than Stevie Woods who had a habit of letting the ball go in the net, and we did end up signing Andy Goram around the same time to that never helped him. UK Bass (Dubstep, Grime, Garage, UK Funky, and obscure Finnish and Scottish football teams)

Hah, there's a firm footballing bond between Scotland and Finland: Mixu Paatelainen was warming up at Hibs and Kilmarnock before becoming the Finnish national team manager this year...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

The Rinse audio is way too quiet for me to continue listening.

Huh? Normally the stream is so loud that I have to set my system volume to like 5/100, this was just fine when I tuned in for a min.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Skream's Watch the Ride mix is loving bonkers.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Finally got around to listening to Roska's Rinse mix and it's good. But wow, that Marco Del Horno track is great! Can't believe I hadn't heard it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1To-rsztCg

Agreed on both counts, this mix is a ton of fun.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I like Jamie George a lot actually, he's not the best vocalist but he's got a good symbiosis with Roska, and since the latter's tunes are rarely all that exciting sans vocals, he's doing good work IMO.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

A lot of producers do stuff like that tbf, just check out the differences in sound between Sasu Ripatti's various aliases: there's a clear logic behind them, Ramadanman could do something like that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mz Bratt & Dot Rotten on a kinda hip hoppy thing, the raps are middling but I like the beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F87VRzUJfo

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

icarus posted:

Does anyone else think it's fun to send tweets @RinseFM and hear the dj give you "shoutouts"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJoWo1ncomI

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Man, if there was an actual bassline here instead of wobble, this would be a pretty funny tune. As it stands, I've literally never hated anything as much in my life.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Oh man, now we're talking.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Riot.EXE posted:

You're spittin' so much truth here, it's kinda ridiculous.

Preach it, jive brother!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

thepopstalinist posted:

I thought not dancing at shows was just an American thing

The crossed-arms grumps are called "the rock police" in Finnish.

So, you could say, dance til the police come.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Business news now as ST Holdings pull most of their labels off Spotify.

Now I don't use Spotify or any of these other silly streaming service thingies, but I'm not shocked at how little it apparently pays per stream. Compared to even your traditional download ways, revenue from it seems pretty much nil even if you're streaming a million copies, and if it's effecting your actual real sales then obviously it's a big, big problem especially for these kind of smaller labels where those extra 50-100 sales can make the difference. And let's be honest a royalty rate of £0.002 is as good as giving it away.

Helpful graph: http://s3.amazonaws.com/infobeautiful2/selling_out_550.png

Obviously I steal all of music though so whatever.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

P.S. You know about Finnish football right? Who the gently caress is Henrik Ojamaa? He's apparently on trial with us and no-one has ever heard of him before, and is he any loving good? More importantly though is Motherwell in Finish really Motherwellille? 'cause all those extra ille is really doing it for me.

Some Estonian winger/striker, I saw him play for RoPS twice this year, looked pretty good, but they were by far the worst team in the league all season so it was hard to make any strong conclusions. He's fast and pretty skillful, but has no left foot whatsoever and isn't exactly a clinical finisher.

"Motherwellille" = for Motherwell. As any Latinist will tell you, cases are much more eloquent than the crude prepositions of English.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah when the news was announced everyone was like,"who the gently caress is that?". I saw a video of his goals on Youtube, but since it was made by his agent I think it's not exactly going to be neutral. You're definitely right about having no left foot, that won't do him so well here.

He seems to have been passed about clubs like a hot potato as well. Derby County, Aachen and a host of loans. Never a good sign. We don't have much money and I don't like it wasted on completely obscure, useless players. Last year our old oval office of a manager decided the future stars was Cypriot Angelus Charalambous(currently seen warming the bench at the Scotland V Cyprus friendly), and Spaniard Esteban Casagolda, plucked from third division Belgian football before we realised he was there for a reason. Craig Brown, what a senile old oval office, I'm glad he's rotting up in Aberdeen. If we could get another Finn like Valakari though I'd be happy.

Oh shush, at least you have some money to spend: we just lost our best player to an amateur second division team because, dig this, it's financially better for him to play part-time and study to become a plumber at the same time, than play full-time in the league. No wonder everyone prefers to go to Scotland or the German regional divisions.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Actually there was a striker here recently who choose to do the same thing. It was in the news. A lot of 2nd and even some lower 1st division clubs wanted him but he was making more money as a spark or plumber so signed on for some 3rd division team. Terrible days when someone actually makes a conscious choice to play for East Stirlingshire or whoever it was.

I figured Finnish football would have been similar to here actually. Roughly the same population and all that. Or is ice hockey or basketball the thing in Finland?

Yeah there's gently caress all money in football here, there's only three clubs who could be said to be financially viable professional clubs in the long term: HJK, TPS and Inter Turku. The league has only been fully professional since the early to mid '90s, and it's probably gonna go back to semiprofessionalism as so many clubs are reliant on underpaid youth players and subpar foreigners nowadays. When I was a kid our star players were still working at the local factories to earn a living, hah.

And yeah ice hockey is by far the biggest team sport in Finland, football attracts crowds of barely two thousand on average. Greater Helsinki has roughly the same population as Greater Glasgow, but its only succesful footy team atm, HJK, have an average attendance of around 5k. Only the national team manages to sell out the 35k capacity Olympic Stadium sometimes.

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 17, 2011

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Bbbut where else would I talk about Zlatan being a diva?

Apparently the brostep thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Rs4jY6qGs

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

SkellingTon Loc posted:

They!Live is amazing. Probably my favorite thing so far this year.

It's nice I guess, but I didn't expect it to be this Cologne housey. For an album with such a grammatically atrocious title it sure is polite and middle class.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

het posted:

Prescriptivist.

Surely you know how I feel about politeness and the bourgeoisie?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Nah bruv, the only Carpenter film I know is that one where the dude with the magic sunglasses fights with the alien rozzers.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

They said the test presses sounded like poo poo.

I'll listen to that later, but after the snoozefest that was Street Halo I can't say I expect much.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Plastician ‏ @djplastician
Took a photo earlier for @jackmaster of him and @tiesto Jack was on a hype for hours. So funny. Kid In A Sweetshop vibes

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Though in all that vain I've definitely been liking that new Rita Ora song, RIP, which coincidentally features Tinie Tempah too.

That DJ Fresh song rules too, it manages to be fun despite the loving flimsy dnb beat that usually doesn't work in favour of catchy choruses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Anae posted:

I heard Karma by Waka Flocka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8qc_bktRE) a week or so back and LOVED it. This seems to be roughly the kind of thing you guys are talking about. Could you post some particular tunes/albums/compilations that I should really check out? I have no idea where to start with this stuff.

Do you mean trap rap, or trap beats in dance music, like air- took your request? If the former, Flockaveli is The Bible basically, but some other good tapes would include:

Gucci Mane - Trap Back; Mr. Zone 6; Jewelry Selection; Ferrari Boyz (album with Waka Flocka)
Juicy J - Blue Dream & Lean; Rubba Band Business 1 & 2
OJ da Juice Man - The Otha Side of the Trap
Wooh da Kid - Black Out
Young Jeezy - the Thug Motivation albums

And since this is the *UK* Bass thread, Giggs has done some great quasi-trap stuff: http://youtu.be/K8_XbEmQHNM

• Locked thread