Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Okay I had a really nice, non-PYF post written up but accidentally deleted it and went to a diff page so I couldn't ctrl+Z it back.

Basically - 28 Gun Bad Boy - favorite UK Bass/Hardcore Continuum writer, ever (prob even more than Blackdown/Martin Clark). It's clear that you have experience and a love for the genre, which I love. I love Martin Clark, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I know you more than I know Blackdown, and I've exchanged emails with him. Like, this week has been good: I got a James Blake/Harmonimix white label in the mail yesterday, I have a Ramadanman Fall Short/Work Them 12", Jamie xx - Far Nearer, Footcrab, CMYK, another James Blake 10" coming in the mail (not all at once), got the Jackmaster Fabriclive 57 CD in the mail today, bought the mp3 for Oneman's Rinse 11 mix (which is great btw), but this just sent it over the top.

Like, nobody has inspired me to buy music more than 28GBB somehow (*corndog alert*), which is a good thing. I used to buy music all the time in high school, but since getting to uni, it's been significantly less, and it kinda sucks with all the overseas to the US shipping. I know that a lot of the tracks I'm playing have been heavily rinsed out, but I'm fine with that, I don't buy them to play out necessarily, but just to make sure I support the artists.

Q: Altern 8 - Infiltrate 202 : is that the first time that vocal had been used? Tiga uses the same lyrics on his song of the same name.

I went out and found a copy of Ramadanman's Grab Somebody after I heard it on the Fabriclive 56 mix, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Ola Ugh posted:

That's insane. New zomby and new objekt? Preeetty good.

zomby - a devil lay here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eysWzPgkfgk

The Zomby track is being given away from free at 4ad's website. I'm going to preorder the LP probably some time this week.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

So anyway how is this done?

I would definitely like to know some of your favorite mixtapes as well from the periods of time you've written about. I don't remember them from your last two parts - unless I'm a moron and missed them.

Also, I NEED to know who does this remix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSniMIN650E

I mean, everyone theorized about Sicko Cell forever, what made it hard was that oneman was playing it as well, but with this, I've only heard it from Jackmaster and Jamie xx, which means that it's probably someone in the Numbers crew.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

inafoxhole posted:

That has to be Jamie xx himself surely; the piano is so reminiscent of far nearer and the whole attitude of the track resembles his adele remix. Track opened up the Ben Ufo b2b Jackmaster b2b Oneman three hour set for Boiler Room (now out as a podcast) aswelll, big vibes.

Yeah, I knew it started the Boiler Room birthday - Jackmaster opened it up that night, so that's why I said that he has it and guessed it was from the Numbers crew. The percussion and the fact that it uses a Janet Jackson sample makes me also believe that it's Jamie as well.

Speaking of the Boiler Room birthday podcast, it's so sick going back through the whole thing and remembering how huge it was. One of my favorite parts was when Jackmaster mixed in Bok Bok's Silo Pass -- it was huge. Asbo then sounded like he ruined his pants and yelled for Jackmaster to pull it up and started rambling about how Bok Bok "is a friend of me, a friend of we large up to everyone in the room tonight!" It was so big, so huge. Proof that MCs are cool. So many good songs. I sound like a corndog, but whatever

There was a remix though that maybe 28 GBB would be able to tell me where to find/buy it: The Destiny's Child - Bills Bills Bills (Phuturistix Remix). That's at least what Oneman calls it on his tumblr, but I've tried looking for it under that name, under just like Zed Bias remix, etc. Any ideas anyone?

Edit: Also totally didn't say anything about the Hardcore Part 2 post. Going through all of the tracks now. Once again, amazing stuff. So much knowledge being dropped from one source, it's incredible. You have to show us a picture of your record/tapepack collection at some point.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

qwako posted:

Is it the bills bills bills harmonimix by james blake ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVL5jILb5xM

got it on vinyl :)

No it's not that, I have that white label as well, it's a 2step garage remix

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

GET MONEY posted:

Their XLR8R mix is pretty good but the Kingdom remix is the best thing on the ep, imo. They do a better job remixing other people's tracks.

yeah, as much as I love the Nguzus, and I own everything they've released, this EP was kinda weak. I think i'd have to feel it in action live from them, or something.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
https://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=31129

Just ordered Sicko Cell from Bleep. I love that track. I think it's kinda funny how everyone knows it's Joy O, but they still aren't listing it.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

beeps-a-palooza posted:

why the gently caress cant i find any decent future bass on beatport. their genres are so limited :/, they should at the very least have a 2step section or something

Just really avoid beatport for anything, in general. Definitely Juno/Bleep/Boomkat/iTunes have a better selection.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Yeah I keep hearing good things about the Machinedrum album. I previewed it, and there were a couple of tracks that I really enjoyed - but I think I'll prob buy the vinyl maybe.

Question, when is Mosca's Bax coming out? It's a jam and it's getting spun a ton on Rinse.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Oh and Bax is out on Numbers sometime very soon.

I swear Numbers is going to have a huge number of releases this year. The only label that appears to be competing intensely this year is Swamp81. Every other unreleased track I hear of is "oh, Forthcoming Numbers" or "oh, Loefah is gonna put this out on Swamp81 soon." Maybe that's just a reflection of how Jackmaster/Loefah manage their promotion - play the track out on Rinse.fm hundreds of times, say "oh, this one, coming out on numbers/swamp81 soon" and then release it like, 6 months later.

Also, Kode9's set on BoilerRoom was great. A lot of people in the chat were hating probably the whole time, mostly because he wasn't beatmatching like a "god" but his selection was more than on point. Also everyone else (Jon Convex, dBridge, Martyn) played really really well.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Agreed, now, that UKG set that you posted (Gamest Mook) - sick as hell. Also, MC's. Yes. My fav thing.

Speaking of MCs. The Ramadanman b2b Ben UFO at Fabric set that RBMA recorded is awesome.

http://redbullmusicacademyradio.com/shows/3338/

At one point this jam (M Dubs meets Fierce - Sweet Love (Breakbeat Mix)) was played. I went nuts at work, because Anita Baker is one of my fav R&B singers - that album being one of my personal favorites, so it was like, an amazing shock - I had to look up the track. I looked it up on discogs, and it's like £0.50 but shipping to the states is like, £7 so I'm like "ugh."

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Anae posted:

Ah man I was there for that. Such a great tune, more melodic than his usual style at the moment and I think the combo works really loving well.

This is my favorite one, probably the worst quality (thanks to bros yelling)- but if you watch (it says this in the comments) Jackmaster at one point is just straight up chillin in the middle of the crowd, not dancing or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi-iWIqSHw

Also, on the Boiler Room birthday, there is probably the best quality of the Jimmy Mack track.

Also, new Butterz zip is up. Four Royal-T instrumentals on it.
http://butterzisthelabel.tumblr.com/post/8231456699/butterz-hardrive-summer-zip-spread-the-word

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
On "dubstep" etymology: I've always been under the impression that it was because of Jamaican dub as a main influence, though hearing the theory that it was about the Dub side of the 12" makes more sense. Earlier UK Bass styles were clearly also heavily informed by dub, and it would only make sense that the influences had already become embedded into the musical DNA of the sound.

In other news, from the Numbers camp:

Mosca - Done Me Wrong/Bax comes out on the 12th of Sept. I'm v excited for Bax, it's a great track.
http://nmbrs.net/releases/mosca-done-me-wrong-bax/

Also, Jackmaster/Spencer on Tuesday night played a "Detroit classics" night. Even though a lot of this is techno/electro/house, I don't think that it would fit in that thread (yes I am wearing my monocle).
http://nmbrs.net/rinse/rinse-fm-tuesday-16th-august-2011-jackmaster-spencer-detroit/

I finally got around to buying Kingdom's newest single (Take Me) it's pretty alright. Interesting that Kingdom would release it with the acapella, but that seems like something that he would do, hoping he would get a lot of cool R&B type edits/remixes because of it.

I got the Fade to Mind CD in the mail, but it has no tracklist. Some cool stuff, some stuff that seems like it could have used a little more time.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Symptomless Coma posted:

Got pointed to something wonderful by Oneman's blog today...

New piece, Ultra Thizz by Rustie. Is this not the greatest thing to happen to halfstep this year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8C1RmVJ1xE&feature=player_embedded

I think so.

If I recall correctly, I believe this was played at the Boiler Room 1 year mark, or in another boiler room set (maybe oneman?) - I only want to say that I think it was a boiler room set because Asbo demanded a rewind - and i dont think it was a rinse set.

It's a jam, though, for sure.

Also, the last Swamp 81 set on Rinse, I'm finally getting around to, it's great, so solid.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

inafoxhole posted:

back when this thread started A Milk Crime was asking who did that Pleasure Principle remix that Jackmaster/Jamie xx were playing, and I guessed it was xx himself.

turns out it's hudson mohwake and it's out now, limited apparently: http://boomkat.com/vinyl/445537-hud-mo-hudson-mohawke-pleasure backed with two other tracks

Woah! Good lookin out! I haven't been on boomkat in a bit - decided that for my vinyl shopping I'll try to keep it to like bleep/surus/ebay/discogs/redeye where it is a little bit cheaper! But of course I got this asap. To be honest, that pleasure principle remix is the first thing from Hudmo that I've actually enjoyed! But it's sick. 9 pounds though kil't me

So the dude who has the full version of that Hudmo remix (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXUkt9poDo) also somehow has the full version of Bax on youtube (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa8RJsodw7w). Once again jam on jams.

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 1, 2011

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Our homies Clicks & Whistles have two tracks featured in today's FACT mix by Distal : (download it here)

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Symptomless Coma posted:

Just out of interest - what's everyone here using to keep up to date? Apart from this lovely thread, of course :)

I myself am a big follower of Get Some, the blog.

Rinse, Boiler Room mostly. I read Resident Advisor a lot, as well - probably one of my favorite sites for dance music in general. FACT/xlr8r/boomkat/chemical records - like Subfries posted are all good sources of info. Subscribing to any of the major record stores's mailing lists if also a good idea - Bleep and Boomkat both send out very competent emails.

Also yeah, Blackdown's blog - which I don't check too often, is also a good source.

I don't really like reading like, random blogs that don't put out mixes from well know DJs regularly. There are a few that put out good mixes from well-known DJs aside from FACT and xlr8r, but I don't remember all of them.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Gamest Mook posted:

The fact that Resident Advisor is catering to an audience that thinks Francois K. and Derrick May make trance because they're "too fast" to be techno (this from the comments of a podcast featuring the two) turns me off from trusting their coverage of anything.

While I will admit that they aren't exactly the most admirable source for commentary on the current events within dance music, I think that the DJs they bring in for their podcasts are good. A lot of their interviews and features are also pretty interesting for me to read. I think compared to a lot of the other sites out there it does pretty well for itself.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Decline posted:

New Butterz email went out today and there is a lot of big news. Looks like Elijah & Skilliam will be featured on Rinse 17. The autumn zip is out!

Check it out: http://ymlp.com/zERDVf.

Butterz is the label!

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Mike_V posted:

Rustie's new LP on Warp is really really good.

Wow I may have to actually get it, then. I was always slightly skeptical just because some of his stuff I'm not a fan of (and he's an awful DJ)

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Man this Pangaea track, I don't know why I haven't paid attention to a lot of his stuff previously, but Hex is a jam.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

JamesKPolk posted:

http://fadetomind.net/#mix-001-prince-william
Fade To Mind mix out by the label head that's not Kingdom. There are some really cool tracks on here. It's got a pretty serious night slugs feel but considering they're sister labels and almost all the tracks are night slugs artists, that's not too surprising. Some cool grimey stuff in there too- I hope Bok Bok does more of those.

Listened to the mix today. Great track selection. Love the Mike Q tracks. Some of the mixing near the end wasn't too great, but it's forgivable (lots of clashing low end!!! "wow this totes ruins an entire party!!!" - not me).

I hope anyone in LA is going tomorrow night to see the Fade to Mind show, btw. Should be great: Kingdom, Girl Unit, Bok Bok, the Nguzus, Prince William, Total Freedom (who is totally slept on, btw - he's great).

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Symptomless Coma posted:

Need some knowledge, guys! I'm pretty sure this tune came up earlier in the thread but I just can't find it.

Who can recognise the track that comes in at 00:10 of this fantastic Oneman vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s79sCihyRgQ&feature=player_embedded

Yes, the part where he breaks into double gun fingers.

On this page: Pangaea - Hex

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/worldtour/london/

Who is everyone going to be watching tonight? I think I'll be watching the Hessle show most likely, though I'll probably watch some of the Jackmaster set and maybe some of the Night Slugs set, it'll be hard to choose though,

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Yeah the interview is really good.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

air- posted:

I've also been loading up the iPod with podcasts.. what else would you guys recommend? So far I've got Hotflush, Rinse, and Boiler Room.

And another free EP from Requake, a duo in Belgium. Blunt is pretty amazing.

With Rinse you really just have to pick a few shows and stick with them. It's impossible to try to listen to Rinse's like, 16+ hours of radio every day. I personally enjoy: Hessle Audio's show, Oneman (Oneman & Asbo are favs), the Numbers show, the swamp 81 show. I have friends that love Elijah & Skilliam's show, but I to be honest haven't listened to too many of their shows. FACT puts out podcasts twice a week that cover a wide variety of artists, and Resident Advisor also has great podcasts.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Maguro posted:

Man, this tune is pretty great. I wish he still made poo poo like this! Also a bit off topic, but does anyone know where to get a sample of the really crisp and uniform-sounding pull-up or quick rewind that almost every decent bassline UKG tune has?

I don't think recording pull-ups into my MPC is gonna have the same results...

I'll look in my samples and see if I can find you one.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Mike_V posted:

I would highly advise you tune into Rinse for the next 3.5 hours, the Butterz and Pitch Controller crews are both in the booth and the mix thus far has been dangerous

If you aren't tuning into Rinse, at least to into Boiler Room for at least the next hour.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
You really can't talk about juke without understanding footwork battles. Individual routine watching is fine, but battles are where everything really comes out. This is one of my favorite footwork battles. If you've listened to any juke, please just watch Walacam videos for hours, it will really just change how you look at footworking music. Light bulb kills it. Footworking music, unlike other forms of dance music, puts the dancer before the music. In most music in general, the music comes before everything else to a large extent, but in Footwork, the dancing is what is more important by far.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

That's why it doesn't work for me without that context. I can see juke taking off if it was diluted/changed a lot, or incoporated with another sound though. In its own right? Not so much.

To further prove this point, DJ Rashad and DJ Spinn were at the Red Bull Music Academy. Here is a set that they recorded - the video. Watch the video, and you'll see that you can't understand juke outside of its context - it's so awkward. It really turns it into some weird chinstroking IDM type thing if there is no dancing going on. Granted, this mix is seriously fire, but I was working so hard while watching this it was nuts.

(DJ Rashad is an expert at pouring water. "Oh Spinn, you look famished, here is a glass")

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Bang Me Please posted:

yo 28gbb and others - I don't usually post in or read this thread aside from the Guide posts (which are always great) but what do you guys think about the slow rise of footwork in the UK bass community? Its had a limited influence over there as evidenced by Addison Groove's Footcrab/Dumbshit, Out In Da Streets by Africa Hitech, Phillip D Kick, and Machinedrum's Ecstasy Boom EP. How do you think the big Mike Paradinas/Planet Mu push with Bangs & Works Vol. 2 and the multiple releases from native Chicago producers is going to work out? Will it always be a niche sound of is the footwork style going to explode for a year on UK dancefloors?

The last page had a lot of discussion about this.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
I guess we'll find out shortly enough - Paradinas, Machinedrum, Murderbot - scheduled to play Boiler room like, near the end of this month. Of course, Boiler Room crowd is notorious for not moving unless Asbo tells you to "stan still"

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Yeah, crowds have been moving more. In general, if they're at home, then by the last set you've been seeing them move more. The Amsterdam M-nus takeover was all movement - the first 17 minutes of the Hawtin video work, and it's really just cool. I lost all my hate for Hawtin just watching him make a crowd move like that. Last week's Madrid RBMA session was also just nuts. Of course, like, Oneman is the best at getting people to go ham.

http://boilerroom.tv/download-oneman%E2%80%99s-65-min-mix/ this may be my favorite oneman set to watch the video of.

thepopstalinist posted:

I thought not dancing at shows was just an American thing

>8| i dance all the time bro...........

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Symptomless Coma posted:

Where are you reading this?

http://twitter.com/italtek/status/133524662108946432

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 10, 2011

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
You know, I'm a big fan of BBK. I think I have finally discovered how I can more fully express my fandom, though.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Things may not be looking good for Club Cheval : Read Here :(

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
If you don't have a copy of the Brodinski fabriclive mix, I would highly recommend it. I remember looking at the tracklist being pretty hesitant, but it is seriously next level.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

SUBFRIES posted:

So I'm taking up the "build a scene" flag again

Amen. I will def tell my DC area friends what is up.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

TWSS posted:

Are these physical dubplates or are you just calling them dubplates because the tunes are being shared exclusively?

Odds are: digital. It's probably better to use the word "promo," which I see most of the DJs refer to them as on twitter.

quote:

edit: Pearson SOund RMBA is really good.

Also this yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

An0 posted:

Pearson Sound Essential Mix: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017lb1y#segments

Tracklist looks lke a pretty good overview of the past couple of years of UK music

I listened to it live last night. Was seriously phenomenal. I was hoping he wouldn't play too many tracks at 140, but when you start with ASBO 001 I can't complain. The new James Blake tracks are interesting. Some of the tracks I easily would have predicted hearing (Helix - Stacks Riddim for one), but he avoided a completely predictable set list (I would have easily guessed for more Joy O/Addison Groove/etc) so it was very solid indeed. I think that blend of the year may be Stalker Ha -> Grab Somebody VIP, either that or Babeh -> Cactus. Lots of good jams played throughout.

• Locked thread