Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
I managed to get my roommate into uk bass when she heard me playing Katy B, so much shes been listening to her album nonstop.

Any suggestions for similar music featuring a female vocalist? The only reason she got really into it is because she really loves her voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
I love the more traditional dubstep, but I got into dubstep originally through the whole FILTHY FACEMELTING DROPS scene. Ever since Skrillex and the like though, I haven't listened to much of that type, because it all sounds the same, and is really grating.

I feel like thayt poo poo is getting majorly played out, but I still enjoy some "facemelting drops" on occasion, although I'd be happier if that type of dubstep was its own genre, but eh. Any reccomendations for some stuff thats actually good instead of sounding like the producer having a seizure?

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

LE0N posted:

What do you mean "is its own genre" it is isnt it? everyone round here at least just calls it brostep and its pretty easy to identify the differences between say skrillex and someone who is producing something completely different (say uk funky or grime)

True, but I think I would be less annoyed if there was a name for it its listeners could identify with. I don't mind people liking Skrillex and such, its the fact that so many people think that is dubstep. Their loss I suppose, but I feel like a legitimatly awesome genre has been tainted by the mainstream definition being so far removed.

Edit: I don't mean to start the whole brostep isnt dubstep argument up again and poo poo up the new thread.

unknown poster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 6, 2011

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

Gamest Mook posted:

I always thought the whole "this isn't real dubstep" argument was very rockist. It's really saying older (or in the same tradition as older stuff) = more authentic = better, which is kind of antithetical to the progressive ideology of the dance music scene. Of course Skrillex et al are wank but deriding them on the basis of their failure to live up to some platonic dubstep ideal established by five guys back in 2005 seems a little problematic to me. Although dealing with a different kind of music, it's a narrative borne of a music critical establishment that thinks anything that can't trace its heritage back to The Beatles isn't worth bothering with.

Eh, I just think a section of dubstep has evolved enough that its almost its own genre or sub-genre by now.

Anyway, 28 Gun had some good points that I agree with. Not trying to derail this legitimately awesome thread.

unknown poster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 6, 2011

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
nvm

unknown poster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 8, 2011

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Anybody have any favorite compilation albums they reccommend to people who want a good idea of the variety of dubstep? Self made compilations are the best, but Ive had good luck telling my friends to listen to The Sound of Dubstep 2 by MoS, I think its a decent compilation that has a good variety, even a couple brostep tracks for good measure haha. Usually gives me a good idea of what else to have them listen to.

Then I usually throw Dubstep Allstars at them once they're into it.

Comedy option...UKF Dubstep compilation albums.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
nvm, repost

unknown poster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 28, 2011

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Heads up for the SF Bay people, JOKER+PLASTICIAN will be at 1015 on Jan 10th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Seeing Truth & Youngsta tonight at Monarch in San Francisco....pretty excited.

• Locked thread