Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Night #2 of the small monthly party I'm doing with a friend in DC. First night was fun, started out with Night Slug type house, then synth heavy dubstep, ended up playing about two hours of dnb, and then it got in to some footwork at the end. Thanks to Maguro and a milk crime for tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Ah nice one man. Did you say the venue was new as well? Or was it just your night? I remember you talking about a couple places in Washington before but I don't remember you talking about this Backbar? But I might not have been paying attention after seeing the picture you posted of the pizza place that sold those huge slices. That place looked good.

Every time Klute plays DC, he wants to go to that pizza place.

Backbar is the basement bar of the 930 Club (https://www.930.com), which is DC's main concert venue, and often voted as one of the best venues for live shows / bands in the states. The space is small, about 50 person capacity, kind of a dark dungeon feeling, but it's exactly the kind of space I've wanted to work in for a while. Years ago it was the parents' reading room, so kids could go to shows and parents could hide out from the noise, but they converted it to a bar.

A little over a month ago 930 and U Street Music Hall announced a booking alliance, where 930 does some smaller electronic acts at U Hall (upcoming Buraka Som Sistema show), and U Hall does the Friday & Saturday night bookings for Backbar. U Hall rebuilt the DJ booth at Backbar as well, and they're taking feedback for other changes. Before the alliance there were some DJ nights there, but not many.

Also the guy I'm doing this night with is a straight edger, who fronts a hardcore band, but loves Butterz, old grime and other bassy stuff. And I can't drink for the whole month, so we're giving away all our drink tickets this night.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Anae posted:

Sounds like a wicked space. Tiny little clubs have got so much character. I remember I used to go to a club in Bristol called Tube, which had the shittest layout ever, but seeing people like Martyn and Spectrasoul on a ~50 person packed sweaty little box of a dancefloor was loving great.

The irony for me is that Martyn lives in the DC area now, but he rarely plays shows here. I would love to see someone like him in this space, just haven't worked up the courage to start contacting high calibre people about playing.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

untzthatshit posted:

I'm thinking about going to this if I don't go home to Richmond tomorrow. Is there a cover, also does it open at eleven or you guys just start at eleven? I've been to 9:30 a million times but never Backbar funny enough.

$5 cover, 21+ to get in (sadly, I would do 18+ if the bar allowed it), 930 Club has a show that starts at 9PM and the Backbar will be open then I think, but we don't start our night off until 11PM. Also, Backbar is tiny compared to the rest of the venue, so you might be a bit surprised. If you make it through, be sure to say hello!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Styliferous posted:

I feel like I've reached a milestone in my bass music career: Got to hear Skream and Benga drop Anti War Dub on the best sound system in the USA (their words), at U Street. Made my year, got to tell em that afterwards too.

Was it a fun show? The local FB bass music group I'm on had a lot of whining & complaining.

Also, I should be playing U Hall on March 13th, opening for FaltyDL and Four Tet (live set).

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Oh yeah, we had our 400th podcast at Expansion Broadcast the other week, basically had most of the resident DJs in one place, going b2b2b2b2b through a lot of different stuff. Here are the first two parts:

Expansion Broadcast - Podcast #400
Part One - Bass Music w/ Erictronica, SGNL, Harry Ransom and Refugee
Stream: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/400-1/
Download: (right click, save as)

Track List:
Cosmin TRG – Fizic
Echo Park – Fiber Optic (Jon Convex Love Transmission Remix)
Prince Club & Poupon – La Nuit (Original Mix)
Kollektiv Turmstrasse – Was Bleibt (Jimpster Instrumental)
Prince Club & Poupon – Platinum
Jonas Kopp – Let’s See
Marcel Dettmann – Landscape
SCB – FutureUnknown
Psyk – Repeat
SCB – Loss
Throwing Snow – Shadower
Mosca – Done Me Wrong
DJ Cra$y, Breach – Just E (Breach Remix)
Cee Lo Green, Redlight – I Want You (Redlight Remix)
Seiji – Face Up
Jon Convex – Pop That P
Christian Martin – Waiting
Conqueror – Highest Order
DJ Cra$y, Breach – That Amen Track (Breach Remix)
Kode9 – 2 far gone
El Kid – Hypnosis (Walton Dub)
DJG – Round
Helixir – Springz & Wires
Brackles and Shortstuff – Sutorito Faita
Sully – Track Side
Untold – Don’t Know. Don’t Care
Horsepower Productions – What We Do
Martyn – Vancouver

-----
Expansion Broadcast - Podcast #400
Part Two - Dubstep w/ Whizeguy, Harry Ransom, and Dave J
Stream: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/400-2/
Download: (right click, save as)

Track List:
Sleeper – Narrow
Skream – Phatty Drummer
Distance – Mind Control
Mayhem – Sensi Star
DJ Madd – Pitfall (Phaeleh Remix)
V.I.V.E.K – Motherland
R4NS0M – Untitled
Headhunter – Clone
Icicle & Distance – Exhale
Kahn – Tehran
Ena – Instinctive
Skream – Wobble That Gut (Widowmaker Remix)
Kutz – G742
Joker, Kahn – Back In The Day (Kahn Remix)
Soap Dodgers – Drum Roll
Vex’d – Cold (Widowmaker Remix)
Reso – Vanquish
Dismantle – Computation
Jack Beats – End of Love (Kutz Remix)
Benga – Electro West
Bolger – Pok Tish
Jus Wan – Azure
TRG – Decisions
Ruckspin feat. J Sparrow – Blessings
Seven – Sinister
DJG – Apophenia
DJG – Apophenia (VIP)
Helixir – Helicraft
Kode9 vs. L.D. – Bad
Dcult – Particle
Myrkur & TMSV – Icarus
June Miller – Shizgara
DJ Madd – Pitfall (Phaeleh remix)
Biome – The Planets
Macabre Unit – Clockwork

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Riot.EXE posted:

SPL just posted this video on his Facebook. poo poo was hilarious, and very on point.

Pretty much a lot of the type of kids that were at the Skream & Benga show Styliferous went to in DC, although the video makers were probably more Baltimore-area than DC.

I am sure it is going to get sampled a few times at least.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Ola Ugh posted:

Rager is a new word for me. Thats people who like commercial electronic music?

It's just kids out to party.

IDK, a lot of it just boils down to limited knowledge of the music, might only know a few big names, purely out to party / "rage".

-----
That said, I put up a clip of a new dubstep track, trying to get a handle on some new gear and techniques. Not going to shake up any scenes with this, but having fun with each project I do:

http://soundcloud.com/r4ns0m/r4ns0m-guidance

Also think I'm going to push R4NS0M as an artist name for stuff. Not sure. Will mainly DJ in DC as Harry Ransom.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

air- posted:

And I just found out I'll be in DC this weekend. Anyone wanna go with me to this?
http://pinchindc.eventbrite.com/

I might be there.

Location was announced yesterday too, it's an old store front on H Street NE, right next door to Rock & Roll Hotel (where Scuba played maybe four years ago).

Also re: ragers, I was making an observation. Granted, my version of fun is not the same as what I perceive a rager's version of fun would be.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

It definitely ended up different than I thought it'd be (not that I don't like the end product mind!). I initially figured it'd have ended up full of stuff like Creeper. You know a bit more raw, bit more Funky, bit more well, UK! As usual bloody people moving to bloody Berlin!

I wanted more tunes like "Creeper" too. Also, from what I read, I thought they were only in Berlin for two months?

Also, Exit Records recently put out an album by Consequence & Joe Seven, under the artist name They Live.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Anae posted:

Except for the fact that he runs a vinyl-only label and plays digital himself. Haha. /bitter

Woah, really?

Went to the Pinch show in DC last week, it was a really cool space (unused store front, looked like a mini-warehouse), and Pinch played all acetate & vinyl, as far as I could see. I was really in to the first third of his set, which was more of a techno vibe I guess.

And then next month I'm playing two, maybe three, shows:

- March 13th: opening & closing for FaltyDL and Four Tet (live set) at U Hall
- March 30th: my monthly with vegan straight-edge bass fiend Denman is happening, and SBTRKT is playing a live show in the main club above us, which I already bought a ticket for. Basically when that show ends, ours will start, and anyone in the main club can just come down to the basement venue for free for our night. Hoping that gets some new people through. And yes, I already put in a request for a surprise DJ set, waiting to hear back from the main venue. Not sure what kind of hoops we'll have to jump through.

And then another Friday next month I might be playing at a "classic" dubstep night. The guy throwing it said nothing released after 2008, so if I get booked, I'll probably go the breakstep route and play all my old Search & Destroy, Toasty, Vex'd and early Distance stuff.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I sometimes wonder if a lot of that is due to playing out in America more often. Do you guys still have weird 5 grand or something entertainment license/tax/visa thing that DJs need to have before they're allowed to play in the country.

It might be $2000 U.S. for an artist's work visa, not sure though. I think you have to have something like 30 reviews or articles on your work too, but those 100 word record reviews from magazines count as press.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And man alive! Is pre-2008 really old skool now? My recommendation for that breakbeaty garage stuff? Zinc - Flim. It's not on Youtube but Horsepower did a great remix of it for the single. Worst case you can probably grab the album version really easily (Faster was a great album)

Apparently. Will have to go through what I have if I get booked for the show, it's mainly down to whether I'm available or not.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

For folks wanting something along the lines of more traditional Dubstep (man I need to think of a better word than traditional), take a peak at Black Box Records stalwart DJ Madd and his new single Deeply ft. Lady Maroo. I'm assuming it's the first single off his forthcoming album and it's a peach. Fifty fathoms deep bass below some fantastic haunting vocals. Kinda reminds me of the likes of Distance's Falling actually. For fans of stuff like that.

Lady Maroo is a friend of mine, she's based in Baltimore, and part of a hip-hop group called Math Panda. A lot of friends down here are excited about that collab, and possible future collabs. Came about b/c one of the guys from EXBC really likes DJ Madd's work, saw a post on Facebook where Madd said he was looking for vocalists, and Lady Maroo contacted him. She's also done a few vocal tracks with my old roommate SGNL.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah I knew it was some crazy fee. Bloody taxmen! All for a night of dancing! Of course there's always doing what Bukem did in that old GLR documentary. Like the Bosch through Belgium nobody expects the sneak attack through Canada!

Much harder to get away with nowadays, the border cops are more aware of this type of thing now. Same with American acts trying to get in to Canada for shows, happened to DJG a few months ago. I have heard of artists mailing their music ahead of the show as one way of trying to get to shows without raising suspicion.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And hey that just shows you how small a world it is. Well you can tell her some random guy off the internet liked her stuff. Of course now that that cat's out the bag I'm expecting you to write something with her vocals on top now...

I just let her know, and might be sending her some stuff to check out.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Decline posted:

Rinse 19 news! Looks like Icicle of Shogun Audio is in charge. I'm not terribly familiar with his work but the Rinse comps are all pretty solid. http://www.factmag.com/2012/03/01/icicle-to-helm-next-rinse-compilation/

Oh wow! I'm a fan of his dnb and dubstep, so I'll be looking forward to this. The dnb part will be a bit like what you'd hear on Youngsta's show.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Mike_V posted:

I'm surprised they'd go back to the halfstep/dungeon sound well so quickly. Ah well, I guess they're running out of dubstep dudes to use since Plastician, Youngsta, and N-Type have all done one.

I think Icicle's 140 tunes move a lot more than a lot of stuff people call that, married to a clinical techno feel to them too. My Serato crate (don't hassle me 28GBB... I bought a lot of vinyl the past two weeks) has this kind of stuff labeled as dark / techy.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Anyway so looking at the tracklisting I realise I listen to absolutely none of this stuff normally, so is this going to be some weird, inexplicable hybrid 140/D&B thing? I say that only 'cause I spotted Rockwell and Spinline on there and I didn't think they did anything other than D&B, or is this a recent developments? Or just surprisingly creative mixing?

The Rockwell is dnb, not sure if the Spinline tune will be non-dnb. Rockwell did have a remix on Hemlock last year, and it wasn't dnb.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

air- posted:

One of my friends did the recent volume of Expansion Broadcast!
http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/413/

Cool, will have to check. I've heard good things from the rest of the EXBC guys about Lush's DJ'ing.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

g / Nautiluss on XLR8R's blog recently:

http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2012/03/horizon-nautiluss-remix

Good remix, snagged it.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

air- posted:

I'm not sure if it's just SUBFRIES and I who are in the DC area, but who else is going to Forward Festival?

Eighty Eight Music have the worst timing for their events, always planning stuff when I'm going to be out of town.

I'm going to make it to the DFRNT and Distal talk and the event they play on Thursday, and then I'm off to NJ for a wedding and won't be back until Sunday. Slight chance I'll make it to the closing party to see J:Kenzo. I think that's at Yards Park, an outdoor spot near the Nationals stadium.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

What's all this nonsense then eh? Leaving early! You just need to be more hardcore!

Surely any dance is gonna go on until the wee hours? You'll either be out by the time any trains or buses start (well more or less, that spare hour is where you smuggle out a bottle of something and get extra pished in the nearest park) or if your town follows Glasgow's example and kicks you out at 3am, after party. There's always an after party, even if it's less of a party and more a half dozen of you huddled in a shitey kitchen in a nearby flat, polishing off the last dregs of a bottle of cheap cider and listening to whatever Soul Jazz compilation is first at hand.

Depends on the venue in DC actually. The party Silkie is playing will probably go till 4AM or 6AM, but if it's a bar or club, they'll close around 3AM because of liquor laws, and public transportation will already be shut down for the night. Also, me personally, I'm not an after-party person. But that might just because I'm crankier now.

Two Beans, you should post on the Facebook group (the DC Bass Music one), maybe find a ride home.

I'm going to the Moombahton Massive event on Wednesday probably, and then the Distal & DFRNT party on Thursday, but then I'm out of town for a wedding until Sunday. Might make it to see J:Kenzo. Also I had a new dnb track just picked up for the Festival compilation CD, was happy (and surprised) to get the news today.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Styliferous posted:

Mind posting a link to this? Facebook search brings me nothing and I'm interested on joining in as well.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/dcfuturebass/

Sorry, I say "Bass Music" but most around here say "Future Bass". Same thing to me.

Styliferous posted:

Also, DC bass music heads, keep your eyes open for Goth-Trad and Joe Nice at U Hall on May 30th. I plan on celebrating my birthday that night, so if anyone wants to grab a drink in the place let me know!

Guys from EXBC are putting on that show, didn't hear about the visa issues yet.

And as for the comp, not sure if the festival people will put in on Bandcamp or anything, it's got a good list of artists on it:

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

air- posted:

Not sure if everyone saw, but there's also a Sunday Forward after-party at night. I'm pretty sure I'm calling in sick to work next Monday because I bet I'll need to recuperate.

Probably the same space as the preview parties (2562, Pinch, etc.), and probably J:Kenzo again. I might go in late on Monday. Was thinking of taking Thursday off, but I think Monday off (or late) would be better.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I have never once in my life heard of this Trap. What's it supposed to be exactly?

Southern hip-hop beats, I think?

Trap house = crack house.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

air- posted:

NYC goons, check this out. Lineups are so good that it's tough to pick out just a few :(
http://www.momaps1.org/warmup

I haven't been in several years, but it was incredibly fun the time I went. Plus you can walk around the gallery and check out a lot of art.

Also, did anyone check out Tom Middleton's Bass Music Roots & Inspirations mix?

http://soundcloud.com/tommiddleton/tom-middleton-bassmusic-roots

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Battle Cattle posted:

I caught Bok Bok and Kingdom last night. Holy poo poo. Bok Bok spun all vinyl, and must've played 6 genres in 60 minutes. House, UKF, juke, old dubstep, acid, Miami bass ... Great times.

He was vinyl and Serato, dug a lot of what he was playing. Also, MikeQ and another ballroom guy were there, hanging out in the booth during Kingdom's set.

Sorry we didn't meet up last night!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Stuntman posted:

What's a good US source for 12" D&B singles? I don't feel like paying £5 shipping for 2-3 songs, no matter how good they are.

For used stuff, maybe Zion's Gate in Seattle. For new stuff, maybe Groove Distribution in Chicago (http://www.groovedis.com/), and there is this mail-order only shop just outside of DC (http://www.dnbdubrecords.com/).

I have only ordered from Zion's Gate, through discogs.com. If I get new stuff, I now tend to use surus.co.uk, which is ST Holdings' shop. Usually free MP3s with vinyl purchases.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Been out of town, will try to pick a 2012 tune for the OP later today. Biggest tune for me so far this year is Joy O & Boddika's "Mercy", but that might be too techno for the thread.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

air- posted:

Also saw Ital and Laurel Halo coming too. So much music.

Ital is a DC resident. Think he's part of the circle that includes Protect-U and Beautiful Swimmers.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Did any of you ever list to the old DJ DB mixes, 'History of Our World'?

Also, I always thought "44 Mag" was a hardstep tune :colbert:

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Back from vacation, surprised to see this Q&A with Objekt was not mentioned:

http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=251097

And also surprised he did one for DSF, and that it seemed well received by the crowd there.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You'd think DSF would stick a Q&A under their Q&A sub-forum, instead of the production forum. I don't really look at DSF much nowadays, and definitely not their production forum which kinda seems to have stuck on an endless loop of the exact same questions and general crappiness and pigheadery, so things like this where you actually have someone who knows what the gently caress they're talking about is a nice change of pace.

You mean an actual NI programmer and no "how do I wobble" or "how do I sound exactly like [name of current fad producer]" tutorials?!?!? AMAZING!

I wish I had well crafted questions for the Q&As, but most of my own curiosity is just about things they are in to, what their kit list is, and workflow.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

infinity2005 posted:

I have some big plans for future to try and provide out of print vinyl rips in a much better way than currently for people but i'll keep it quiet until i can get it going. I know for sure privately at least friends have already arranged more complete/consistent collections than what you can get literally anywhere else online just hope it can be organized into one.

Such a time intensive process. Wish I could just take on an intern to do all the recording, editing and processing. I probably have around 200 dnb, breakbeat and '06~'07 dubstep vinyl ripped, but still need to truncate the recordings, clean up the files and then label them how I like. Probably get it done four years from now.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Mike_V posted:

I did a UK Funky set on my radio show last night and I came to realize how much I had to rely on DJ mixes (I <3 Funky, Supa D and Marcus Nasty's Rinse ones) and it was a little gauche I felt. Does anyone know of a place to get the original releases of a lot of the early Funky tunes?

Yeah, the "Marcus Nasty VIP" sound bites can be a bit much. No good lead on originals :(

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

New mix I recorded recently, hosted on the DeepFoc.us blog some friends of mine run:

http://deepfoc.us/mixes/harry-ransom-deep-focus-exclusive-mix-03/

I posted it in the dnb thread too, but it's not exactly a dnb mix, and might appeal to some of the regulars in this thread.

01. Croms - "Invisible Cities"
02. Om Unit - "Ulysses"
03. Danny Scrilla - "Hunch"
04. Sully - "Scram"
05. EAN - "AulderKincher"
06. Om Unit - "Vibrations (Machinedrum Remix)"
07. Adam F - "Circles (Phillip D Kick Edit)"
08. Danny Scrilla - "VV Cephei"
09. SpectraSoul - "Ish Chat"
10. Deft - "Crown Point"
11. Indigo - "Ayahuasca"
12. The Binary Collective - "Sin Skin I"
13. Vex'd - "Destruction"
14. Fracture ft. Dawn Day Night - "Get Down To The Funky Beat"
15. Fracture - "Bad Habit (Om Unit Remix)"
16. Deft - "Masquerade"
17. Dream Continuum - "Give A Lil Luv"
18. Danny Scrilla - "X"
19. Fracture ft. Dawn Day Night - "Get Busy"
20. Dream Continuum - "B Free"
21. LTJ Bukem - "Atlantis (Phillip D Kick Edit)"
--- Goldie - "Kemistry (Doc Scott Remix)"

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Rinse is still doing their 18 year special videos, today's a real interesting one actually with Give Up Art, who do all the designwork for the whole thing. The work done by GUA was part of the reason why the likes of Tempa made a big impact with me. Really sleek and well done, proper uniformed up. And definitely still of the Garage thing, like D&B had like a visual style to me (like with Metro, Metalheadz or Renegade Hardware it was all techy, cgi-y, digital industrial and poo poo), but when you look at the artwork on a Garage release (a Locked On or Public Demand) it tended to be a bit simpler and cleaner and Tempa really continued that I think.

I still need to check the videos, but I've been a fan of the Tempa artwork since their early releases. Recently followed GUA and Shaun Bloodworth on Instagram too.

The early Metro and Virus, plus late 90s / early 00s Metalheadz and Ram sleeves were done by Jon Black at Magnet Design and/or photography by The Plainclothesman, who was the younger brother of Optical and Matrix.

http://www.magnetstudio.com/

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Joy O and Ben UFO playing in DC at U Street Music Hall on December 6th!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

a milk crime posted:

omg im tempted to fly out to dc just for that

Let me know if you do.

Also, Ed Rush & Optical playing the night before, but I don't think I'd make that as well. But who knows.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Styliferous posted:

What venue is this happening at? I can't seem to find any information about it, but I'd love to go. Caught their set at Fall Massive last year and I'd love to see them at a better show than that one.

At Ultrabar, it's a 3D event. Saw a flier on FB.

Also maybe see you at Backbar tonight, if I make it out.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Weaponized Cum posted:

you read my mind... it's a Sunday though!

Thursday, Dec. 6th: http://www.ustreetmusichall.com/event/179913/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Anyway I got to say Washington continues to impress me. It seems to really have it all fairly sorted. I've heard some of you talk about it before, but I do like the looks of that U-Hall place now I've seen a picture of it. It kinda reminds me of a less dank Sub-Club.

So what do you American folks think of the list then? I know there's a lot of you in the various cities mentioned, so what do you really think of the clubs mentioned and their sound? Where else in the States has a really heavy sound?

I have a heavy bias towards U Hall, but it is the best place I have played, and my favorite place to see acts. I have played s couple of the older clubs in the U.S., years ago; Fluid in Philly, which is Josh Wink's club, and the "bassment" at 1015 Folsom in S.F. DC might have a couple other venues with good sound, but they are often used by more pop / top 40 promoters, or I guess whatever the Tiesto / Armin Van Bureen type promoters. One old, sketchy venue has been revamped and turned in to Echostage, which holds 5000 people, but I haven't been. I prefer the smaller venues.

I know Smart Bar is owned by a bunch of old Chicago dnb DJs, and Beta is owned by people from Soundcloud. The two guys from ITI, who designed U Hall's system, used to be in Telemetrik, when it was a DC-based DJ crew (eventually became an alias for one member, and he's now Alvin Risk). I think some of these venues are the result of people getting in to dance music in the states, realizing it is often not represented in the same way as in Europe, and so they get in to sound, resulting in better venues down the line.

• Locked thread