Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

I was honestly surprised at how many people mentioned DJ Rashad on Saturday & Sunday, and then to see it come up on one of my local news sites (in DC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

baltimoron posted:

Keysound just put out a jungle/hardcore EP, I don't know how to really tell the difference between the two. It's got that pre DnB sound to it. It's pretty sick and the artist is Sully. Here is the first song on the track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdejuMFVpZ8
and the redeye link if you want to hear some more samples.
http://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/vinyl/52742-ldn046-sully-blue-ep-2-x-12
B is probably my favorite on the EP.

Some of Sully's older tracks have the same vibe, definitely worth checking out if you like that sound. Also some of his stuff as Innasekt (with Sneer).

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

b0red posted:

I know a couple DC cats post here or look here. DJ MADD at u street June 11th. I wouldn't miss it.

Deep Sessions, also have Leon Switch from Kryptic Minds and Kaiju on the bill. I rarely make it out on weeknights though. Wanted to see Asylum earlier this month, but couldn't make it out that night.

I'm playing U Hall the 7th (opening for J.Phlip and Kill Frenzy) and their Union BBQ festival (Martyn, Jamie XX, a few other names) on the 14th.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

b0red posted:

I went to the Asylum show. Dude gets really into his mixing. He was up there jumping around and what not, really got me into it more seeing how into he was. That's pretty rad you get to spin at U Street, I really love their sound system. Also I like your stage name, what ya gonna play?

Those two shows mainly house, but I'm all over the place. If you come out early, say hello!

I threw a drum'n'bass party last week at Backbar, I used to play a bit of dubstep, mainly deeper or techy stuff, like Headhunter, F, DJG, and I'm part of Blisspop, so most of those shows I end up playing some form of house. I mainly just play U Hall every couple of months, they've had me open up (or open & close) for acts like Machinedrum (played footwork and dnb that fit with that), to Eats Everything (played house).

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

The ol' goon Petey Clicks is teamed up with an old buddy of mine, Dean Grenier, writing new material as Nevermind:

https://soundcloud.com/troubleandbass/nevermind-part-one-out-july-29

https://soundcloud.com/nevermindanything -- a bootleg and a tune ft. Footsie available for download

Really looking forward to hearing more stuff from them, esp. as a fan of the DJG / Grenier material over the years. They're playing a Trouble & Bass party at Verboten in NY on Aug. 16th. What sucks is I'll actually be in NY that night, but doubt I'll be able to make it out :(

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Champ Baldoon posted:

Catch me at U Street tonight for hyperdub 10th anniversary show.

I can't make it tonight, but I might be at the Om Unit show at Flash in October.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Champ Baldoon posted:

Seriously good selections, didn't get to catch all of kode9's set but Spinn & Taso had the crowd going wild. Lots of footwork battles. Scratch DVA also was playing some really heavy stuff. All around a great concert. I'm going to try to make it out to Om Unit.

Got booked to open for Om Unit (along with Encryption opening too), so now I'll definitely be there. Second room is a Car/Crash/Set showcase with Cosby (label owner, lives in the DC area now), and Vjuan Allure, plus Refugee & Tsurugi.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

A pitched up Think or "ya bad sista" break, from Lyn Collin's "Think (About It)", about 2 minutes into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiqxkdhzi_M

There's another widely used break from that song, from about 1:26 into the track.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey just wanted to give a big thank you and shout out to Expansion Broadcast for putting out some great bass, dnb and dubstep mixes over the years. I found out about them from someone in this thread (SUBFRIES I think) and have been listening since 2013. The work these guys do is great, tons of fantastic mixes here.

Thank you for checking the podcast, I'll pass on the word to the main guys. I'm a new dad, so not doing much DJ'ing or playing the show, but I might have a mix done for them this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah the whole breakbeat side just seemed to be pushed away at the time, which I found a bit sad as I did like it. But I remember that entire year of 2006 seemed pretty much solidly half-step, with a few exceptions. Nothing else got a look in. I also don't know if people tended to lump it in with that horrible nu-break scene or whatever it was called back then. The whole Rennie Pilgrim, latter Aquasky, Deekline Ed Solo thing. But to me the tracks I mentioned were always like breakbeat Garage tracks. They had that Garage foundation, that Garage beat. A totally different sound to the break scene. To me you can tell the difference between the two a mile away, as apart from using a breakbeat sonically they were just so different. At least I think so

Breakbeat seemed to have gone in different directions around the time you mentioned, with Deekline & Ed Solo pushing a lot of bootlegs, Rennie Pilgrim's Thursday Club label maybe being a bit housier or progressive, and then Aquasky was pushing a lot of the tear-out stuff on their Passenger label. I remember The Breakfastaz being the big artist, labels like Funkateck, Cyberfunk, Hardcore Beats, and their splinter labels. One of my favorite label was Guerrilla Tactics (https://www.discogs.com/label/35375-Guerrilla-Tactics), with Sam Binga releasing as Pablo Beatz (he was also releasing as Baobinga on Hardcore Beats, et al.), Chase & Status as Loopdigga, Mortlock was one of the Vicious Circle guys. It was very drum'n'bassy. I'm surprised I didn't get into early dubstep because of that label, it was a couple years later my roommate loaning me the Storming Productions 'Built For Boundaries' mix, then downloading Rinse FM sets. Anyways, I could post some links of the breaks stuff I liked, if it is of interest & might lend to the sonic narrative here.

Also, re: Reso, after his first album for Civil Music, he was writing more & more dnb, and ultimately signed exclusive to Hospital Records, putting out an EP or two, a couple tracks on compilations, and then he put out an LP last year. Not the stereotypical "Hospital" sound, although it had melodic moments. Enei is another who went dubstep to dnb, he was part of Giant, releases on H.E.N.C.H., and then signed exclusive to Critical Music. And I'm not sure if it meant anything, but a few months ago F (one of my favorites, he was on 7EVEN Recordings) uploaded a dnb mix on Soundcloud, been a few years since he stopped releasing music. I miss his style of tunes.

• Locked thread