Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Excellent and informative as always, 28GBB! Beats the poo poo out of Ishkur, that's for loving sure.

As of now, as I said in the old thread, I'm really digging that my favorite sorta Dub Techno/House label Millions of Moments is moving into Garage territory with their new MOMUK subsidiary. They've started out with two EPs, the former from Lostlojic and Bisweed and the latter from Lostlojic solo. Both are out digitally as of yesterday but MOM puts out great vinyl, as always. Check out the solo A.

Also got the new Blawan single on repeat. With that and TEETH it looks like chopping up R&B divas is a thing (I guess it always was? I don't know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also Bass Clef just dropped a single on Punch Drunk and it is pretty boss. Minimalist but not macho.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Hardrive has some test presses (edition of 8!) of Mz Bratt's new EP on Hardrive. I grabbed one because it comes from the Butterz camp and if anybody deserves my money at this point it's those boys. Got a tee, too.

Over at the boutique if you want one. Hurry quick!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

HatchetDown posted:

Is there anyone outside of Night Slugs I would enjoy that's similar to Jacques Greene? I don't think this is coming off of my flash drive anytime soon. I love when it just strips down to all that bass pressure and builds back up again. Absolutely perfect.
Of course the first thing that jumps to my mind is Joy Orbison, but these days he's making more house-y stuff (Hyph Mngo / Wet Look was, far as I can tell, his first, last and most lasting impression on bass music). In terms of feel, a few of the more recent Saigon Recordings EPs (not Milyoo's but the few before that - Orphan101 and Gravious) and maybe Taz's EP for Numbers.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mz Bratt, I think.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Much appreciated as always 28GBB!

Right now I'm really loving the new Jon Convex. His style suits me a lot better than Boddika's, frankly. No idea why. Martyn's quite the curator.

Beyond that, this Damscray guy has really impressed me and the new Presk single is really great, though I can't seem to find any streams from it. Dubby techno / garage fusions, reminds me of Headhunter or Pearson Sound at points. Check it out if you can.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you're DJing for a party, especially a kiddie party, you're going to want to break out stuff the audience will be familiar with that will keep them moving, even if you have to hold your nose. Unless they're there to see you, you shouldn't be aiming to impress with your knowledge of musical context & history / your taste. So yeah, chainsaw wobble's what you want, probably (if you're here in the US, anyway). I believe there's a thread in EW about it. You won't find much of that here unfortunately!

Anyway, Milyoo's got a new digital single out on Opit, which is a teensy boutique run by Subeena that I regularly pull for. Sorta off-kilter house-y stuff. In the past, 'specially on his Saigon Recording EP, he's had a Falty DL-ish vibe but I haven't detected much of that here, Check it out.

Also the new Chain EP on R&S that 28GBB mentioned is pretty great. Might have to add them to my growing list of "buy everything they release" labels (already got James Blake's CMYK on the yellow vinyl edition).

Also per FACT magazine, Grime Forum has assembled five downloadable .zips featuring 184 Grime "war dubs" featuring all your favorites. Massive stuff.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

New Kuedo's quite good. Didn't expect much from Jamie Vex'd after that Dream Sequence EP left me so cold. One of the "new" tracks is actually a Slugabed remix that went so far off-course they decided to present it as a Kuedo original. Mike Paradinas also puts in the first remix work of his that I've liked in some time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

New Pinch single = Love at first listen.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Didn't he have a single out on Hotflush recently or something? Some other label.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Holy hell Machinedrum's LuckyMe EP is good

Also I wonder if Starkey's got anything up for Butterz. He seems to be a part of the crew now but he probably still has obligations to Civil Music / Planet Mu / Slit Jockey (which he co-runs)

*E Speaking of Butterz - Free S-X EP. Getting a stormtrooper tee to celebrate

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 22, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah he changed to Joy O about a year ago I think? He had his Hotflush stuff and his first Doldrums single as Orbison but then he dropped the rbison.

As for Pearson Sound, the moniker's been in concurrent use with the Ramadanman name for awhile, I think David Kennedy just decided to release more stuff with the PS alias recently (I think everything he puts out for Hessle Audio uses the PS name). The Ramadanman remix single for Night Slugs wasn't released that long ago. He's also making house-y stuff under the Maurice Donovan alias (a "lost Detroit prodigy" or somesuch) but his production style's hard to miss. I would say the aliases correspond to different kinds of music but to be honest I can hardly tell the difference between Pearson Sound and Ramadanman.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 24, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

"DJ Dubstepper" :effort:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

a milk crime posted:

This is my favorite one, probably the worst quality (thanks to bros yelling)- but if you watch (it says this in the comments) Jackmaster at one point is just straight up chillin in the middle of the crowd, not dancing or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi-iWIqSHw
Huh, guess that answers the "where in the world is Parson?" question

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Maguro posted:

God drat this .zip is massive. I'm gonna feel a little guilty when I put like 4 of these tunes in my next set but I will do it anyway.
You could probably send them an email about it or something, I really don't think they'd mind.

And if you feel like remixing anything, I know they take any and all reworks from anyone, and will officially release them, in the zips I think.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

parthenocarpy posted:

Has anyone heard of Holy Other? It's about as close to Burial as I've ever heard and it's most popular song only has 50k listens on SoundCloud
Yeah I think they're most often talked about as "Witch House", which I guess... makes sense?

New Duncan Powell's pretty good! Also been listening to the Machinedrum LP and it's got me wondering why it took so long for him and Planet Mu to get together on something. Their sensibilities are hand and glove.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Visionist with more prime 808 flexing. Not just for Pearson Sound!

Not sure how I feel about the vox samples, but I love the 808 so much. Ordered the 10" today.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

infinity2005 posted:

Not much of a week for releases is it? Very slow compared to last week.
If my proverbial weekly shopping cart is anything to go by, only slightly. Planet Mu's got a new Footwork album coming out and by the sound of it, it's their best yet. Not "bass" in the strictest sense, but.

Also found out that Starkey's coming through this month. Gonna go see him, sure enough. I've missed him the last few times he's come over the years and he's dropping by on my birthday. I'm expecting at least an awkward, fawning chat after the set like I had with Pearson Sound, but their music is... much different. I should ask him what the lay of the land is w/r/t Slit Jockey & Butterz.

There's also a Silkie show and a big yearly blowout w/ Caspa, Tunnidge, dBridge, Bok Bok and Kingdom but I will have literally no one to go see it with :( I'm also kinda sore about the fact that out here Skrillex or Doctor P or even a local wobble schlockmeister will play to sold out crowds and the best Pearson Sound can manage is a half-full floor. Zed Bias and Moldy had half of that. I hate it. I imagine Starkey might draw a crowd since his sound's a little more American-friendly but I can't really dance if I'm sad.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 6, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Trim's also got a single on Planet Mu in a month, with Mark Pritchard instrumentals (otherwise it wouldn't be a Planet Mu release, I guess). Predictably weird.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also does this seem like something worth going to? They were canny enough to tier the payment system such that you could pay a small amount to visit the cordoned off third-tier / browobble acts and the full amount to actually see any of the acts worth seeing. None of these guys come around all that often (some, like dBridge and Bok Bok, I don't think have come around at all).

At least it's not as bad as the annual browobble celebration around here, which inexplicably was one of about 4 or 5 stops that Mala made stateside this year. There was literally no one else worth seeing on the bill.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's funny now that people have some vague idea of what "post-dubstep" is and the same scant notions of what dubstep was. Thank James Blake, I guess.

Anyway I'm a bit torn on the new Photek stuff. A lot of it... doesn't strike me as very good. I like the remixes but the originals kind of leave me cold.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I bought this with money without realizing it was up for free in various lossless or near-lossless formats. Oh well.

I like it! It's not a great leap forward or anything (kind of Rustie-esque) but it's fun and relatively melodic, which is what I look for in my electronic music, generally.

Also picked up the latest Landslide without any knowledge of his history and I'm liking it a lot (for a vocal-heavy album, anyway)

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 14, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I got people asking me about "Deathstep" now. That didn't sound good, so I did a bit of digging. Youtube seems to indicate it's taking brostep's telltale nu-metal origins and making them explicit. Looks like another neologism for talentless producers to hop on, check out this complete lack of production sense - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2E3gpLRO9Q

In other news, I'm really enjoying the new Graphics single, who I had never heard before but apparently runs in the same sort of circles as Hackman and the Blunted Robots people. It's also fairly IDM-ish, which will turn off some people but rarely bothers me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I am currently enduring one of the local wobble DJs opening for Starkey. I'd say I'm too old for this poo poo but I'm 25.

Anyway I could foresee Pearson Sound drawing a light crowd in this coke electro-dulled scene but you would think Starkey, who's both unafraid of siren basslines and respected to some extent in the UK, would fill more than a third of the floor. The kids, they lack refinement.

Also depressed that I'm the one guy in Butterz stuff in a sea of Bob Marley tees. Now I remember why I so rarely go out. But i've wanted to catch Starkey for years now and it's my birthday, so gently caress it, I'll suffer. Hopefully I can catch the man after his set, would like to know what he's got in the pipeline.

* An electrowob Zelda remix just started. I would greatly appreciate it if someone came along and stabbed me in the throat

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 27, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's odd because I used to love Warp, but post-Flylo they've really gone in an abstract hip-hop direction (with their electronic catalog at least - I wouldn't be surprised if they made most of their money on Grizzly Bear and Battles records these days) which I have never really been a fan of. Planet Mu sort of went in a similar "bass" direction for awhile with Starkey and Kuedo and Slugabed a few years back but are pretty much in full-on footwork mode at the moment, which I'm not crazy about but I admit is pretty interesting.

I'm always kind of sad when I hear that an artist I like has signed on for multiple releases on Ninja Tune. I guess they're really good to their people but I swear they must have some sort of fun-killing magic that affects all their releases. I can't remember the last Ninja Tune release I actually enjoyed. Amon Tobin, Slugabed, Daedelus, Eskmo, Dorian Concept - they've got a whole roster of acts that I initially became excited about before they released underwhelming work on the label. Even the last Wagon Christ album sucked! And I'm a hopeless sucker for Luke Vibert. Maybe i's that I haven't shaken their association with middling downtempo jazz.

I wasn't big on Raffertie around "Wobble Horror!" day (though now I take it as kind of a joke about the music that's popular now) but his Super! imprint is pretty strong so far and I've liked a fair bit of his remix work. His production style is very... distinctive.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 27, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm not a big Boddika fan, he seems to be tapping into more of an electro sound with his solo stuff, whereas Jon Convex definitely makes the source of Instra:mental's IDM tendencies apparent.

If you're looking for tech-y bass music, check out the Pictures Music and Naked Lunch labels, both of which specialize in that kind of stuff. In terms of actual artists, I've been listening to a lot of Presk and Nightwave (aka 8bitch) lately.

And if you like Instra:mental, you'd probably do well to check out dBridge and the rest of the whole Autonomic scene (which seems sort of defunct now, actually. That was kind of quick).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There is no amount of white people in native dress that dBridge can't fix.

*e Pinch closed out his set with "Pump Up the Jam" and lo, every inert rear end was made alive

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 18, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Machinedrum and Braille are obvious places to start, seeing as how they collectively make up Sepalcure. Also try the oeuvre of West Norwood Cassette Library, both artist and label.

Other than that, maybe FaltyDL's (Falty DL's?) full-lengths for Planet Mu.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm interested in catching Roska but I'm not all that into Toddla T (LP on Ninja Tune? Bad sign), though his Fabriclive entry was pretty okay I guess. Considering shelling out to see them. It was certainly worth it for the Tunnidge / dBridge / Pinch show.

Also just found out that Girl Unit will be showing up in about 5 days. A weekday show, so turnout's going to be even worse than usual (that stuff bothers me! I randomly showed up to a packed Andy C set a few years back and I was blown away by the crowd energy alone), but he should be spinning some good tracks.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ah drat it all

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Speaking of Scuba, managed to grab a test press of his new SCB stuff (hat tip to infinity2005 for the Surus rec, also picked up a dBridge test press that I'm even more pleased with). I figured he'd keep his techno-oriented material to that moniker but... Yeah, guess Berlin does that to you! "Adrenalin" definitely has a much brighter feel to it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

air- posted:

Have newfound respect for Jonwayne too.
Jonwayne's full length is more enjoyable than those of any other Low End Theory-affiliated act.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

As always, great, great work. For whatever reason it seems like the history of EDM isn't paid the heed that rock's has always received. Knowing the lineage makes the whole thing easier to appreciate.

Went to see Chrissy Murderbot / Machinedrum / Ital Tek show in Denver last night. At peak time I was one of 25 people in attendance, give or take. By the end of Ital Tek's set (which was cut off by the house, as if we hadn't suffered enough indignities) Machinedrum and I were a full quarter of the dancefloor. IT was really into it, though, and I had to dance like the goony motherfucker I am. Surprised nobody called the paramedics on my clearly convulsing self.

It's a real shame. I would attribute it to the show being presented and promoted by the weaker of the local bass music collectives or the general Midwest affinity for buzzsaw midranges and all that (Skrillex and Pretty Lights sell out thousands-capacity venues in hours) but if Zed Bias and Silkie are esoteric by our standards then the Planet Mu stable is practically avant-garde. It was a juke-heavy bill and Ital Tek played 1-2 AM. Disaster waiting to happen.

Machinedrum was a real rear end in a top hat, too, which was the worst thing. I don't begrudge the guy a certain measure of anger at how stiff and blase the audience was (half of them were sitting down despite repeated entreaties to dance) but I did pay to see him. His set was great but he ended it with a "see you later guys, I'm going back to Europe" in a really obnoxious way. Even tweeted it for good measure. Not very punk rock of him. Chatted up Ital Tek a teensy bit and he was really nice. The guy after me wanted to hear something from the Terminator 3 EP and I felt enough embarrassment for the both of us. Sent him apologies on behalf of Denver afterwards. They deserved a full house.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

nibe posted:

There's just no history of a flourishing dance music culture here. Disco happened but that was for gay black people so 'muricans got mad and literally brought their disco records to a baseball game to have them blown up, and this was in Chicago. From then on it seems that dance music was doomed in America, relegated to the domain of marginalized weirdos. Fast forward to the late 90s/early 00s when most Americans had either forgotten about it or were too young, and through limited exposure everyone starts to call it techno because that sounds more like something made by a computer than "house." And then you have "raves" which are basically the most unholy gatherings of freaks imaginable to good Christian Americans. Even I get a kick of out Pokes MCing about "propa ravers" because of my deep-seated notion of ravers as 16-year-olds with glowsticks, pacifiers, and neon clothing.
What you're saying isn't entirely true but it's close to the mark. I've always said that the reason midrange wobble is blowing up so much is that it doesn't have the "baggage" of techno or house (which is to say it wasn't made by black people or gay black people, respectively) but electronic music has been popular in the past, and not just in weird flukes (ala Big Beat or Dirty Vegas' first album).

I mean it was only a few years ago that french electro-house became deliriously popular among tastemakers ("popular" having a slightly lesser meaning than Skrillex popular - all my high school-age brother's friends listen to him, and that's an entirely different ballpark) and that was coinciding with the critical rehabilitation of Daft Punk and the rise of DFA. Disco definitely made a comeback in the '00s, particularly the NY-centric strand of it that rubbed up against nascent house and post-punk in the '80s. DFA had plenty of popular dance rock bands on its roster but the bulk of its output is still analog disco-house (poo poo Robot, the Juan Maclean, Black Van, etc).

Essentially I'd say that broader swaths of American listeners (that is, not nerds like us) can only really interface with electronic music where it resembles and / or caters to rock music. Daft Punk / Justice had the cheesy guitar synth stuff going on, DFA's heavy hitters openly courted comparisons to Gang of Four and Liquid Liquid. It doesn't sound like "bleep bloop" music, in other words. It doesn't sound "chin-strokey" (as Chris Weingarten recently put it when favorably comparing Skrillex's Korn productions against UK dubstep). I went to see Cut Copy last week and the place was packed to the brim with fashion-conscious, screaming white kids just soaking up the New Order vibes. Then I saw Ital Tek practically all by myself.

Though now that you mention it, I went to an Ana Sia / Eskmo show in the mountains west of Denver (absolutely gorgeous canyon venue on a cloudless moonlit night) some months ago and it was nearly as well-attended as the Cut Copy show. America's got its own pockets of progressive bass music (the biggest probably being Low End Theory in LA) that are gaining popularity but as a general rule they don't really jibe with the majority of styles that Europe brings over. Now that juke is a big deal on both sides of the pond there's more similarity, but it's unquestionably niche. As Maguro and I experienced, people just don't know how to dance to it.

I'm just unfortunate enough to live in the Midwest, which might as well be Wob central. LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Philly, NYC, all have creative and vibrant local scenes. And with producers like Araabmusik there's more opportunity for them to cross over into the pop realm (though it's more likely that rappers and the like will be going for the filthy stuff).

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 11, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Denver area.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'd say Burial has more of the Radiohead connection - Thom Yorke got really really into IDM in the late 90's and drew heavily from it when his band went prog on Kid A (sort of a more... modern update of the whole "pseudo-classical" aspect of classic prog), and he's been repping proggy electronic music ever since, from Autechre to Four Tet up through Burial and now to Flying Lotus and Floating Points and Blawan. You look at the "office charts" he puts up occasionally and it's all stuff that would fit in this thread. He's a real head.

So I imagine the hardcore American Radiohead fans, the ones who take seriously the connection between Kid A / Amnesiac and modern architecture or whatever, would follow that thread and end up as that sort of bass music fan. I can't really judge - I basically got into electronic music via Aphex Twin's Nine Inch Nails remixes and got into bass music because IDM had been dead for several years and all of a sudden it kept being brought up to describe this new low end-heavy music out of London (it was a few years before it dawned on me that the IDM term is more or less useless). But I've never listened to this music to be cool, this is the stuff I was always meant to be into.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 12, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Now I can't wait to hear it.

Also there's a D.O.K. single for £3.00 out at the Butterz Boutique. If I had the cash I'd get one of the Butterz slipmats as well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, easiest thing for me has been subscribing to Boomkat's RSS feed and catching up with new releases on other sites (SURUS, Chemical, etc.) every few days. At 2:30 in the morning (MST) Boomkat releases its full digital list and I usually scrounge through that on a weekly basis.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The unmixed version of Scuba's DJ-Kicks is out and it's got a whole boatload of exclusives.

A little disappointing that Addison Groove is a electro/house project now instead of a juke thing. It's less interesting this way. A bit too much like Boddika for my taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tom Trago's the tits, will look out for that.

• Locked thread