Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I got it digitally. Was thrown for a bit of a loop when I learned the Dust Brothers have been part of the band for awhile. They were off my radar til Radio Scarecrow came out (though I was well-versed in their early ambient house stuff with the Plaid boys, natch) but I've been following them pretty closely ever since. They've been on Soma for awhile, too, though I think a lot of their singles and recent collaborations (they do a dark ambient thing as Dadavistic Orchestra) have been on Dust Sciences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Since dub techno and dub house are becoming a lot more to my liking these days, I went back to Millions of Moments and discovered a good dozen releases I didn't know they had, plus a new Synkro single on great transparent yellow wax that's apparently not for sale anywhere except their official site (which charges brutally for shipping). MoM might issue the best vinyl I've come across, and I get a lot of it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

T-Polar's newest EP is out on Saigon Recordings today and it's really quite excellent. I picked up an EP he put up awhile back (via Acroplane, a little leftfield house that flies under the radar) on a whim and I was really surprised at how nobody was talking about him, given the quality of his work. Now he's getting support from 2562 and all the Autonomic folk. About time if you asked me.

Lead single. There's an Orphan101 remix that's even better but it's not up on youtube.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I believe Synrko is like the Autonomic guys in that he's a bass producer who came to the style from a DnB background. He plays in a lot of different styles but he seems to be mainly focused on atmosphere, with his default being dBridge-flavord DnB. Wasn't too long ago that he was essentially pegged as a Burial imitator, but I think his stuff is pretty strong on its own merits.

Personally I'm not so much into Basic Channel or Deepchord or those guys, which I guess makes me a bad dub techno fan? I don't know, that straight-up warehouse sound just doesn't jibe with me, not through headphones anyway (I do like a bit of Vladislav Delay's solo work, though).

Basically I'm into a certain strain of dub techno / house that is a lot more... home listening-oriented? I don't want to say "cleaner" since a lot of Basic Channel is quite cleanly produced (Deepchord sounds like techno club field recordings to my ears), but the stuff I've gravitated toward does seem different (and if Boomkat's "Basic Channel / Dub Techno" genre label is anything to go by, difference is hard to find in that scene). The two labels that I really adhere to are Silent Season and Millions of Moments, both of which have carved out fairly distinct styles (though MoM will spring for slo-house as well as dub techno, and their newest sub-label deals in UK Garage). I think the former might be a harder sell than the latter - a lot of the tracks I have from their artists wouldn't sound out of place on Selected Ambient Works Volume II. They have some free releases, check them out.

The ambient side of dub techno might be my thing - I've really taken to Bvdub, who pretty much owns that sound and is incredibly prolific. He's got ties to the bass scene as well, he released a collaborative EP with ASC a month or two ago.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mala has a 12" of Lee "Scratch" Perry remixes out. Tempted to get it, but... I've spent too much on techno records these last few weeks. Someone should buy it and report back.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Always wondered what happened to Cluekid. He had maybe my favorite track on this old trove of Klassic Dubstep vinyl rips a friend of mine procured around '08 ("Shamrock", I think it was. Basically "Cockney Violin" but Irish-themed). I kind of assumed he was bouncing between small-time classicist labels, like MRK1 has all these years.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Speaking of imperious DnB heads making the move to dubstep, is it just me or is Boddika kind of a dick.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The other thing about vinyl vs. digital is the quality control angle. It's like digital vs. physical film - a lot of films schools require that your first student projects be shot on 8mm or 16mm film. I won't pretend like there's not a profit motive there for unis and their chummy business friends (film school materials are very expensive), but there's also a practical advantage for film students in using film that they have to pay for, in that it doesn't allow them to be sloppy. When every shot costs you, you learn how to do it right, and get every aspect of the production right when you get to work. If you don't know what you're doing, you have no business doing it There's less of an incentive there for digital filmmaking.

So in order for a producer to put something on wax they have to be damned sure it's worth the expense, put their money where their mouth is so to speak. No risk, no quality control, unless you've got discipline, and most people don't. Most of the digital-only stuff that's out there isn't worth investing in, frankly.

There's also the stuff that 28GBB mentions, the culture that it creates. Acetates and dubplates that DJs trade and share, that provide the incentive to go to clubs to hear new music, some of which won't be released for months, some of which might never be released. It brings vitality and dynamism to what would otherwise be the DJ equivalent of a covers or greatest-hit set. Not very exciting.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 3, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mike Cartwright posted:

The Maurice Donovan 12" finally showed up outside of Phonica, tune has been growing on me. Do believe I'm going to be picking that up along with the Kromestar release on Cosmic Bridge.
Unless it sold out in the last couple of days there should still be test pressings of the Kromestar release on Surus.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A lot of juke (at least of the DJs Rashad / Spinn variety) is more or less recognizable as a gonzo take on Ghetto House. Raunchy party music stuff. Footwork's a weirder beast. The composition stuff I'm not smart enough to explain, but it's generally run in odd time signatures and is solely designed for dance battles which are apparently a sight to behold. Compare that Rashad track to DJ Nate. Also notice the percolating drums.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Shame Om Unit had to kill that alias. Can't keep up a facade these days.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

g posted:

Hai guys.

I made this a few months back. I had decided that when I hit 500 facebook fans, I would give it out for free. Being that I recently hit that number, it's now available as a free download on Soundcloud (until it reaches 100 downloads)

http://soundcloud.com/nautiluss/needyou

Very nice, big ups to you. Untold himself's not so much to my tastes for whatever reason but his selections for Hemlock have been sterling. The new Guy Andrews single is pretty solid too.

Meanwhile Modeselektor continues to have preposterous reach as label curators. Addison Groove's inaugural LP will come out on their 50 Weapons imprint.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

a milk crime posted:

It really turns it into some weird chinstroking IDM type thing if there is no dancing going on.
Hence Paradinas.

Though he's stated that he's never made it out to Chicago primarily because he doesn't want to be seen as showing favoritism in the competitive juke world, and that's fair enough I guess.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Paradinas interview from '06 is really good, he talks about DMZ and FWD>> nights and plays a test press of the Loefah remix of "Punisher".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah as went over a few pages back, when Murderbot and Machinedrum came through Denver it was not well received at all. Part of that was dismal promotion but mostly it's that people don't know how to react to footwork. I don't think most people out here would know how to react to jungle, for that matter.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I thought not dancing at shows was just an American thing

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

a milk crime posted:

If you don't have a copy of the Brodinski fabriclive mix, I would highly recommend it. I remember looking at the tracklist being pretty hesitant, but it is seriously next level.
I'll have to check it out. A lot of Fabriclive mixes are that way, they're pretty smart about picking their curators.

Speaking of which Pinch is apparently going to have a Fabric-related mix out but it's unclear whether it will be a numbered Fabriclive or something else (I think he made a minimix for them when he went out to Aus/NZ for the first time). He'd be... the sixth bass-centric Fabriclive? First there was Caspa / Rusko, then Toddla T, then the Autonomic crew, then Pearson Sound? Am I missing somebody? I don't count the Freq Nasty one because it offends me, and I think Four Tet's leaned really heavily on classic garage, but... yeah, that's actually a pretty decent representative sample.

*e - Wikipedia says that Pinch's mix will be Fabriclive 61, in January. Something to look forward to. 62 is the guy who runs Critical Music, so more DnB I guess.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 17, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Monkeytown is getting really quite busy. Along with the Modeselektor / Anstam / Cosmin TRG / Addison Groove full-lengths, they've got a new LP from Benjamin Damage and Doc Daneeka in the wings. This on the heels of the announcement that Mouse On Mars would be releasing their tenth album on the label, which I'm less enthused about, considering that those guys are the other "classic IDM" outfit I always found dull (the first being Four Tet, of course). Always had a soft spot for Lithops, though. Just weird I guess.

Also speaking of Anstam there were some late-entry Radiohead remixes that are coming out on Monday, of which they have contributed along with Nathan Fake and Jamie xx.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 18, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You might try Altered Natives. His new white label is great, but word is it'll never be officially released digitally. Most of his stuff seems around 126 BPM.

T Williams might also be up your alley. Check his label, Deep Teknologi.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 21, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pleasantly surprised to see Bristol's Zhou making an appearance on Punch Drunk this week. Like T-Polar they were producers who released a slept-on EP last year (on the eclectic A Future Without label) that I really really enjoyed. He also had a recent collaborative EP with leftfield techno producer Vessel.

Here's a favorite from the old EP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotiPmuhfsw
(for whatever reason I like the slightly-off takes on the Burial sound a lot more than Burial himself. Go figure)

Here's a snippet of the Punch Drunk A. Sounds like another winner for Punch Drunk.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 29, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Got into it with Ben UFO? Don't they co-run Hessle Audio?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Got it on wax, pretty good

I'm moving to a bigger city with smaller living spaces next month and as such, I will be ceasing my record collecting hobby. This is very good for my wallet but at the same time I'm all about music and having that physical manifestation of a track or album I really love is important to me. I'll probably have to keep sending the odd vinyl exclusive back home to rip during holidays.

Anywho, Surus continues to be a great resource. Got test presses of the new Jon Convex on Naked Lunch, which is pretty rude, and the new Knowing Looks single on WNCL Recordings. The first WNCL Knowing Looks single was one of my favorites of 2011 so I'm really psyched for the opportunity to get this one a bit early. The A is a bit house-ier than everything else he's done but the B is garage-y. WNCL is sort of a garage label.

*e - also while looking for a link to the Knowing Looks stream I came across a free (Christmas-themed) b-side he released for Sonic Router. This one is also house-y.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah RA's your ticket. Self-selecting in its listings, but the bigger the city, the better your luck. Go to shows, if you end up at a good one check the promoter and keep up with them.

The new Pinch single on Swamp81 is looking to be my last vinyl purchase for the indefinite future - unless I lose my willpower and grab something else. But if this is it, I don't mind. It's gonna be good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Looks like Styrax / Millions of Moments finally got around to releasing digital versions of the EPs that Synkro cut for them some months back. Stop & Think and Presence, Questions, Memory. I'd call it Burial-y, but I don't much care for Burial. It's like a cross between Burial and dBridge I guess. The MoM EP is more dub house-y, since that's their thing. But they're both really good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Skrillex and all that, well let's be honest do you really think he had heard much if any dance music before someone sent him that 16Bit or Cookie Monsta Youtube link and he picked up that iMac? I'd wager no.
I'm sure you'll be thrilled to learn that in interviews he's specifically talked up a love for the 90's Warp roster. Which makes sense - outside of Big Beat stuff, the rockist mainstream press in the US from the 90's on up through the nascent bloghaus era only really covered IDM when it came to electronic music, largely because it was a curiosity and because of Chris Cunningham's eye-catching music videos. It's certainly how I got into electronic music despite being from the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Musically I think it makes sense too, since Skrillex is more or less what you get when you mix Come to Daddy EP (which is probably RDJ's weakest work, all told) with a bit of Bassnectar and maybe the odd Rusko track. It's funny to me, since I've always thought of Come To Daddy as a typically ham-handed piss take on The Fat of the Land-era Prodigy, and Skrillex seems like the type not to catch the joke. The music sounds like TFotL's bad qualities amplified. The digital scuzz, the monotone colors, and most of all, the inescapable 'tude of it all.

Really there's no end to the comparisons you can make to describe how unpleasant Skrillex's music is.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 27, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

New Pinch single for Swamp81 is pretty good, don't know if I like it or Croydon House more.

There's also another single from Graphics that's pretty good. Not quite "Beats", not quite House. Dam Mantle remix isn't bad either. Out on digital formats now, no youtubes unfortunately.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The new Point B album is very good. Feel like he's been making stuff forever but hasn't been really gathering much of a cult (he also releases more hip hop-type stuff as Planes, all of which is good)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Somewhere between Starkey and Distal

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There has got to be a place to buy that EP that isn't Beatport.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Naturally as soon as I move away from Denver the local promoters announce a Deep Medi takeover. Mala, Quest, VIVEK, Commodo, Truth, and Silkie.

I've had opportunities to see a lot of shows here in New York, naturally, but school keeps me away. I missed Clicks & Whistles again :(

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Judging from the new Last Japan single, breaks are indeed coming back, just as 28GBB predicted.

Thanks a lot, Om Unit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Well, in terms of the State of Bass 2012, I guess I'd prolly go with these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpms-uT1m6E
This, I guess cuz Joy Orbison kind of left this sound behind when he became BFFs w/ Boddika (aka the Bore Who Walks) but I like it, so.

Also good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNeAEuYSIJU
Nightwave runs a real tight ship over at Svetlana, the people she ropes in tend to have a bit of a broader sound palette without the prog-y tendencies of, say, Planet Mu's stable (speaking of which, what's with Mike Paradinas hitching to the hipster house wagon? At least get some of the good 100% Silk acts). Her own stuff has been real ace, as well.

I'm counting this too, it came out digitally in January
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckg0Ha03iBE
like Slugabed before he fell into the pit of molasses that is a Ninja Tune deal.

I'd probably throw a Machinedrum track in there (prolly this one) but I met the guy and he's kind of a snotty diva type so I'm not really up for repping him, I'm sure someone else can.

Other good things: Light Club, Milyoo, Evy Jane, Lando Kal, Ital Tek, etc.

I wish I had more to say but... yeah.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

This is cool and cheap. Not a lot of ~classic~ style stuff but a lot of house-ier UK stuff and the Planet Mu staples. About what you'd expect from one of the Autechre guys

It's 100% exclusives from what I can tell, which is impressive, but then most compilation exclusive tracks in general seem to be drive-occupiers that wouldn't make the cut for a B-side. Still, if you like 1/3 of this stuff you're still paying an outrageous price for it.

* e - Guess I didn't see the Darqwan track, or the Phaeleh track. Or the Milanese track! Where the hell has that guy been. I guess I'll count Geiom track probably counts, he's been there for awhile. So there's stuff here for most tastes.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 3, 2012

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Charlotte Hornets posted:

There will never ever be a jungle/breakbeat hardcore revival. It will just sound so polished and silly, like the Dream Continuum release.
pssssh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfVMFNZt08

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Haha I really want to see that too

Edit: found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RqvhfxeCA

He has another one for Porcupine where he follows his cat around the house with a bit of paper that says "C'est ne pas une 'porcupine'"

trillprofeminist rules

Went to see Sepalcure today. No antics from Travis but their set was largely 4x4 house stuff which was odd (and well-received by the crowd) but felt really tired after MikeQ dropped a brilliant ballroom set just a few hours prior.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nah, it was MOMA's PS1 Warm Up party for this weekend

You couldn't pay me to go to a show where Liturgy is DJing

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The lineup for the next few weeks is killer, but I'll be out of state.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

This Deft EP is p. good, Rwina is a p. good label
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaCbVVSGq3w

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Svetlana continues to kill it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISF4B2LgUJQ

Also, Throwing Snow rulz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkz0pJQ_84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TWSS posted:

found this on vinyl in a 5 dollar bin at a record show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1fDsDsJsQg
Pretty sure they repressed it not long ago. I got it for $9 or so at Reckless in Chicago back in '09

• Locked thread