Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ekoplekz does a lot of tape releases but he's not even really a UK Bass artist, he just seems to have a lot of friends in the scene and releases stuff on their labels. He did a collab album w/ Bass Clef this year which was pretty gonzo, in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kahn & Neek have a grime tape out in pro packaging and that. Eh!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Surprised by how much I'm enjoying the new Starkey LP, considering how cold I've been to his preceding Civil Music EPs. It's a lot more focused.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

RIP Offshore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHqQ8KSkjmI

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

New Biome EP for Mindset is the only thing of his I've ever liked. Gantz has also had a string of strong singles. Sort of an odd time for me to get into more minimalist sounds that are more bass-y and less D&B-derived.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah I feel like the dudes that usually show up on Osiris or Dubstep For Deep Heads (who signed off on that name, I mean really) tend to play it a little too conservatively, like they could be stretching out and adding in personality at the margins, but they're too focused on nailing that particular tone in a very particular way. Broad genre signifiers aside, a distinctive sensibility on the part of a producer is what makes a track work for me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Still not sold on Boddika. The Endian track is real good tho

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Plus all the usual labels like L2S Recordings, Frijsfo Beats and Slime. Though they're all digi-only labels sadly so I don't really keep too up to date on them.
I hadn't heard much of anything from L2S in a long, long time. And Frijsfo isn't strictly digital, I did manage to get a white label of the "Resi Claart" single from Geiom. I guess it makes sense that he gets the vinyl release, since I think he's a co-owner and he's got a higher profile than Point B and... the other guy. Don't know what happened to Berkane Sol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Qiylvj1Hg

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pinch's new wax-only label just popped up, first release is from Elmono. Americans pay 100%+ shipping, FYI

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I like the single though, both tracks kinda wear their influences on it's sleeve but I can dig that. Contemporary Dubstep that's managed to keep up to date by hoovering up more recent musical developments instead of just half-step plod plod for the deep heads could've been made in 2006.
TBH I'm not real big on the Keysound Recordings-type trend but I trust Pinch as a curator and I've been waiting for a cool wax-only label, because I'm a show off but also because I feel like Swamp81 hasn't dropped anything exciting for awhile.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I still throw some conspicuous-rear end transitions but I tried my hand at an honest-to-God mix for the first time in forever. A little schizoid in the middle but not as schizoid when I was trying to mix Robyn with "The Beach At Redpoint" back in '08 or w/e

*edit hmm some of these transitions were definitely different in the editor

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 24, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Not real huge on Disclosure but one of em did wear a Zed Bias tee in a promo photo so bully for them I guess.

Kode 9 is a lil bit late on the trendhopping right now but he's well sharp anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5gcqYaMu98

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You know here's a question for all you over the pond. I always wondered how or where Grime entered into the American musical awareness bubble. I mean pre-Youtube and all that jazz. What made it over there first? Or what made a bit of a splash first? Who do you remember first picking it up? Where do you remember first hearing it? If it's by some kind of pre-general internetty way it'd be doubly cool to find out.

Now obviously I know nothing made the charts or anything. No platinum records etc, but I know the likes of Roll Deep did a appearance over in New York in the mid-00s, so there must've been a wee bit of a notion about what it was all about. I mean there's a specific Dizzee tune just mentioned, how'd that make it through the trans-Atlantic gauntlet?.
I remember "Stand Up Tall" being kind of a minor hit with the hip set in like... '03 or '04? When Boy In Da Corner came out. Dizzee was tapped to open for Jay-Z on some stateside dates, too, and that was considered notable cuz it was hova's "seal of approval" or w/e, and most people still seemed to regard grime as being a regional twist on rap music. Really any sort of hip hop-seeming thing from abroad was seen as novel.

I believe Lady Sovereign and Miss Dynamite also had minor one-hit wonder status (or at least brief music journalist buzz) around that time too, but tbqh I think most of the interest in LS came from her apparent whiteness and her stature / gender that didn't fit into hypermasculine black music stereotypes around rap. She was bandied about as a "female Eminem" and never really taken seriously even by people who held her up as some kind of mold-breaker.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 7, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Didn't somebody link a Coki interview a few months back where he says basically the exact thing (but in reference to brostep) that Blackdown lambasts Disclosure over? He also seems to have an apparent disdain for Pre-UKG forms of electronica and their cyclical, non-progressive natures. Had I not known better I would have suspected that this is a bit of agitprop designed to bring more exposure to the still-fledgling 130 BPM trend he started / hitched his apple wagon too. The guy knows more about the assorted scenes than I'll likely ever know but I never much cared for his analysis or his taste as a curator.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

xposting from PHIZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfeOtcgjL50
Hey it's a guy from 4hero. Does he sound like Chicago Detroit Redruth-era Vibert, or does Chicago Detroit Redruth-era Vibert sound like him?

Also dunno if you all missed it but last Sunday B.YRSLF Division released a p. substantial free compilation of new and old club music things. Gotta like em on Facebook is all. They're probably my favorite of the post-Night Slugs / Monkeytown baby boom of club music imprints, tho I guess Clek Clek Boom's alright.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Just checking: Does anybody know if the vox in that new Sophie single are sampled or original? No one I know seems to be able to place it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Short trax play better with the rock press

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Got mixed up in a mix exchange and am currently in the throes of nostalgia as I compile babby's first 130bpm mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUBrAfUexPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JkNXPlAsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbyw3X3PSHk

like it's not even "classic" stuff, just things that I picked up way back when.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are some pretty colossal female talents in grime right now if you ask me. Was hanging out in a plug fm room with a friend and he played this and it was good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev458ENOqZY

Roxxxan !!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

SUBFRIES posted:

And, kind of along these lines, if any of you remember Cosmin TRG's last EP on Tempa (here: http://www.beatport.com/release/now-you-know/215074), who are some similar artists to this style of house or whatever it is?
http://boomkat.com/search?q=PTN&fields%5B%5D=

Also more recent Contakt stuff, maybe

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Was just listening to Franks the other day, had it in a continuous 130bpm mix I'd made and almost tore my hair out trying to place it. Archives to the rescue. Great track

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Maguro posted:

You have a link to the mix? Glad you finally found the tune haha. All of my new releases are gonna be 160bpm for the time being, but I'd like to make more 130bpm stuff once I finish the Juke EP I'm currently working on.
Yeah it's here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1feevx476pe2lcz/1_Babby%27s_First_Garridge_%26_Etc._Mix.mp3

Somewhat scattered in terms of what's actually featured (that's what you get when you adhere to machine-read BPM and key strictures), but there are some transitions I'm still fond of. I can't remember when yr track comes up tho. The back half, I think Your track starts a little after the 53:00 mark.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 15, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Good, comprehensive chapter. Helpful in that I'd actually been trying to remember the first time I'd heard of dubstep, and it must have been some time around late '07 because I torrented a pack of vinyl rips that included the D1 track featured above. Had Skream and Benga and Mala and the like but it wasn't a perfect overview. My favorite of the lot was an old Bass Clef track, I think he's been underrated for more or less the entire time I've known him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9JbooH8ao

He had a tape split with Ekoplekz a few years back that was excellent but not particularly step-y.

I guess it gets to where I came from on it - I grew up in a little rural American town without so much as a used CD shop, so my intro to electronic music was, like, the Trainspotting soundtrack (which was great). No dances meant it was all headphone listening, and so IDM it was. Around '06 / '07 I got tired of trying to daisy chain artists I liked to other artists (the internet's taste was not discriminating when it came to IDM, most of it is dross in one form or another) so I started hunting label compilations and it was like hitting ten birds with the stone I'd been throwing at one. Since I was already an IDM head I went straight for Planet Mu and their 200 compilation. Had a lot of heavyweights on it - Darqwan and Pinch and Benga and Distance are all represented, plus some more Mu one-foot-in-the-prog types, namely Ital Tek and Boxcutter, the former of whom still puts out good stuff with regularity. I was hooked by the Vex'd remix of Distance's "Fallen", which has lost 0 punch since it came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvANW7mliBQ

Somehow I never got so into Vex'd, maybe if I had come around to greyscale techno a few years earlier I would appreciate their none-more-black aesthetic, but I was pleased as punch when they featured a Downward Spiral deep cut on one of their DJ mixes. Another standout track (and one of the many weird one-off outliers on Planet Mu) was from Parson, out of Houston. Throwing the ketamine-soaked dubstep sound in a pot with Screw music seems like a no-brainer but Parson was seemingly the only one to do it with panache. He seemed to drop off the face of the Earth after it, I think he hung out at SXSW for a few years but he was associated with "drumstep" and Run DMT and all that youtube-driven cashgrab noise once bass blew up stateside. Not cool enough for the Mu, clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEeQqPWaSgc

Planet Mu's kind of a magpie, always trying to be a tastemaker and batting about .500 in that regard (Wins: breakcore [which I hated], dubstep, footwork. Losses: electro-folk, lo-fi house, whatever avant garde stuff they're playing with now), but there's no denying Mike Paradinas' eye, he's made a lot of careers. So many producers get their foot in the door with a one-off single or LP on the label and you forget about it, to the point that there are labels that apparently exist solely to pick up what Paradinas puts down (looking at you, Ninja Tune). But all the best Vex'd stuff was on the Mu imprint, Jamie Vex'd is still there under the Kuedo moniker. They even rode the post-dubstep "bass" wave for awhile. Mike's not averse to picking up an imitator for a quick buck. And I'll always have a soft spot for a label man who openly regrets featuring Machinedrum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0zZPv97YPA

I never actually ventured much farther than Planet Mu even when my awareness of the scene was at its peak. By the time I came around to "dungeon" stuff it was already on the wane and I never cottoned to either Mala or Burial, which I guess makes me an outlier. By the time Pinch was making house trax and Boddika hosed off from Instra:Mental to make boring electro I knew the scene was well and truly done.

More recently I've been noticing that the Instra:Mental / Autonomic sound has been having a bit of a renaissance, mainly because so many of its samey, prolific mainstays (Vaccine, ASC) have gone quiet, regressed back to straightforward DnB, or gone ambient, and so Exit records in particular has been picking up on the Om Unit side of that sound, which seems to be flourishing via acts like Fracture and Sam Binga. Truer to jungle, you might say, and still identifiable in that vein, but when they feature toasters it fits in pretty well with a more general bass-y feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOkHf2Vpx_E

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm reminded now of the actual dubstep compilation that Planet Mu put out, 10 Tons Heavy which I got around the time of its release. Featured a full DJ mix from Benga and Hatcha on the flip. Hatcha was one of those names I kept hearing but never bothered to actually track down. "Qawwali" was licensed to appear on the singles side, that's where I first heard it. One guy I'd nearly forgotten about was Milanese, who iirc was another producer for Virus Syndicate that Paradinas scooped up alongside MRK1. People still ask about "Caramel Cognac" when I play it, it's aged exceptionally well. Seemingly another guy who made an appearance on the Mu and then disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0KTKlCQTjE

In retrospect it's hard to say what exactly delineated tedious American dubstep from UK jump-up stuff. Awareness and recognition of lineage, maybe. Or as 28GBB suggested years ago, it was a "master for the medium" thing and the yanks just punched the mids up to make the most of laptop speakers. Personally I think it's because so many US producers came to the music as a way to make hip hop production louder. And so much hip hop, lacking strong caribbean roots, just doesn't swing like garage, and so the music just lays flat on the ear, all frosting and no cake. Doesn't help that the style was approached as a very simple template, of course. Or the endless, worthless pop remixes fighting for youtube dominance. Or the absence of radio to pull it all together. But it's not the Americans' fault, really. All things die except House. House always finds its way back to the dancefloor. And thank god.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 25, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Is that Andrea the guy from Demdike Stare or someone else using the (extremely generic) name

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Hey I never signed up for a Bruk thread

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

When you make a lot of tracks via a PS2 music maker program a lot of it is going to sound like classic MIDI. Plus, they grew up on those soundtracks. Joker plays Streets of Rage songs in his sets

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

JSL / Kraken released one of my more fondly remembered jump-up from years ago, #11 in their catalogue I think? B-side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSCHcNRAOs

Reminds me vaguely of old Benga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's funny, living in the middle of nowhere out USA way caused me to instinctively mistrust Untrue and how it, like that one Four Tet album before it and Jamie XX / Nicolas Jaar albums after it, was picked out as the tasteful(ly alienated) paragon of a deep and neglected scene by the music press. It caused me to dig deeper and find all the stuff that was apparently pedestrian at that time. Personally I found the album itself pretty listless and enjoyed more the smuggling of his style into more dance-forward music later on, especially by D&B refugees (dBridge, Synkro, etc)

Funnily enough I felt like that one Four Tet / Burial collab 12" was the best thing either one has made. Really brought out the best in one another.

• Locked thread