Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Here's the transcript of Simon Reynolds talking at FACT about the 'hardcore continuum', and here's a series of Simon Reynolds articles on various facets of the continuum, each written as they were really coming into their own:

Hardcore Rave (1992)
Ambient Jungle (1994)
The State of Drum 'n' Bass (1995)
Hardstep, Jump-Up, Techstep (1996)
Neurofunk Drum 'n' Bass vs. Speed Garage (1997)
Two-Step Garage (1999)
Grime (And a Little Dubstep) (2005)

Could probably go in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

HatchetDown posted:

I thought this track was pretty interesting to I picked up the EP and unfortunately it was still the only one I liked out of the three. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than it's dark and it gets me moving.

Migrant - Pipe Club

As a side question, why do people download vinyl rips? I thought the point of having vinyl was that the quality of analogue was so much better than digital.

Believe it or not there are still some artists who don't release everything as an MP3.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this but for those that haven't, here's a 1994 BBC documentary on the burgeoning jungle scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkkk3Nbyqpc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBZtP-1UZjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPFFsORfkR4

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

HatchetDown posted:

Good thing the topic o' the page is Bassline, I was just about to come in here with some I enjoyed. I was diggin into this dude Kavsrave, who in his own way reminds of me of Girl Unit, but through some searching for more of his stuff I found his new label mate A1 Bassline and immediately loved it. Hopefully it gets a revival, I mean to me it just makes sense with how a lot of people are feeling about dubstep now and if you were to ask me to distinguish it between Future Garage I'd find it difficult.

I'm not sure how you've got the idea that either of these are bassline but it's worlds apart, haha. That A1 Bassline track is alright, allow the cheesy buildup though; reminds me of trance, yuck!

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I always thought the whole "this isn't real dubstep" argument was very rockist. It's really saying older (or in the same tradition as older stuff) = more authentic = better, which is kind of antithetical to the progressive ideology of the dance music scene. Of course Skrillex et al are wank but deriding them on the basis of their failure to live up to some platonic dubstep ideal established by five guys back in 2005 seems a little problematic to me. Although dealing with a different kind of music, it's a narrative borne of a music critical establishment that thinks anything that can't trace its heritage back to The Beatles isn't worth bothering with.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 6, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Cocheese Sammy posted:

Anyway

is there a good place to find Reason 5 patch downloads and song/instrumental downloads? So far I've been doing mediafire links from youtube videos but I know there's got to be a better way.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791601

Please take your clueless rear end there and never post in this thread again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Got het's permission to post this... here's a big 2step mix from 2001. The second disc with Pay As U Go MCing is really really good, lots of deep dark garage cuts on there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fgegmd4z18hyk7v

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Is this really worth getting worked up about.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Don't get me wrong I love a good scoff at some bad music but I don't feel like this is the place for it. The quality of discussion here is generally pretty high and I'd rather see people discussing stuff they are enthusiastic about than dragging the tone down by piling on something everyone knows is awful.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
What's with people who clearly don't read this thread coming in and posting the most horrible poo poo?

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
It's a bit...Ibiza isn't it? Not really feeling it.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Is there non-cheesy, more ruffneck broken beat? Everything I've heard thus far sounds like coffee shop jungle, or alternatively junglists playing jazz fusion.

edit: This is quite nice...

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 25, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The fact that Resident Advisor is catering to an audience that thinks Francois K. and Derrick May make trance because they're "too fast" to be techno (this from the comments of a podcast featuring the two) turns me off from trusting their coverage of anything.

Thanks for the broken beat writeup 28GBB. I am still struggling with this stuff. I really want to like it because a lot of the beats are great, but all the arty fusion trappings are more than I can take sometimes. It just strikes me as a very self-conscious attempt to make "respectable" dance music and ends up slightly cheesy and anodyne because of it. I do really, really like that Embassy mix of Neon Phusion's 'How Times Fly' though.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Anyone know what the track on the latest Elijah + Skilliam podcast is that uses this sample?

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Ray Hurley
"The Real Thing (Sovereign's 24 Carat Dub)"
(Sweeter Groove, 2000)

There needs to be more Think break 2step tunes. Actually everything needs more Think break really.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Sounds like a big Timbaland influence in that J Da Flex tune! 2step always seemed like the UK response to that late-90s brand of Timbaland-influenced R&B typified by producers such as Rodney Jerkins and Kevin Briggs. And of course there were an absolute ton of 2step remixes of USA R&B artists. I'm partial to this one...

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 10, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

An0 posted:

Burial/Massive Attack tunes are due to be released and here's the first one up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VisKkedFZjw&feature=player_embedded

Maybe it's because it's like 25° and 11am, but I'm not really feeling this one - I definitely prefer when Burial makes music on his own. Also lol, 1000 £25 copies sold out on preorder in like a couple of hours.

Wow the comments on that video. I've been saying this for a bit now but it seems like 'future bass' or whatever is becoming the new IDM to a certain sector of its audience. I'd expect to see more and more bleep bloop, "headphone listening" (scare quotes because I find this kind of thing less interesting than dancefloor stuff regardless of setting) stuff from now on.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 11, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Loving the huge commercial trance/eurodance influence on the new Rustie. Who would've thought there was something of worth to be re-appropriated in there? Well 'Only Girl in the World' was already great I guess.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

nibe posted:

Yeah his new single from the album surprised me, it's really garage-y and restrained but still sounds like him. He also recently put out a mix with a bunch of UK bass tunes and his remixes of Jamie xx and Rustie (though it does have a bit of annoying wobble as well).

I actually quite like this. Future-garage-by-numbers perhaps (and I expect to see many more jumping on the bandwagon yet still) but it's proficiently done.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
How are you guys keeping up with releases these days other than listening to Rinse constantly? I'm always finding new old stuff but I'm so clueless about what's coming out currently.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Mike_V posted:

Brenmar's the next release on Hum and Buzz and it sounds really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvTpcxECHg

EDIT: Also, MA1 has his Elektron EP out today, which is a proper follow up to High Definition.

Is this the first instance of the Numbers beat in a UK Bass track? Fantastic. Reminds me a bit of some of the mid '90s So So Def stuff like Ghost City DJs, INOJ, etc.

edit: I guess he's not actually from the UK haha. But still in that tradition.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 18, 2011

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Lysis posted:

Dude from another website just started this recently
http://bassreleases.tumblr.com/

Where he basically collects all the notable forthcomings from press sheets or whatever and posts them every sunday for the monday releases.

Wow this is great, thanks.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Giving the new Kuedo a first listen now and I really like it. I didn't like the last EP much - a bit too 'wonky' for me iirc - so wasn't expecting much, but he's really reined in his more hyperactive impulses here. There's a big 80s underground synth/minimal wave influence on display here; I'm reminded a lot of stuff on the ICR label that gets posted on the Mutant Sounds blog, like Rick Crane. Putting juke beats on a good half the tracks is a bit like, "really?" also but it doesn't mar the finished product that much and sometimes works really well as in 'Ascension Phase'.

The biggest criticism I have is a seeming lack of really memorable melodies, which is in sharp contrast to the Rustie album. The sound design is an absolute triumph for sure, though.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
DnB as distinct from jungle is arguably outside of the scope of this thread imo. I don't really care but there is a dedicated DnB thread that doesn't see much crossover with this one if that says anything.

edit: gently caress me those breaks tracks are bad

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 30, 2011

• Locked thread