Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr box
Mar 6, 2001
'Vitriolic'? lol. Are you reading the same thread as the rest of us? I just posted a bunch of the rudest grime instrumentals you'll ever hear and you come in here posting about 'everyone' 'championing' 'down-tempo' dubstep.

Also if you want a nu school breaks history post why don't you write it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
I'm surprised scratcha lasted this long. I mean blindly playing youtube links people send you on legit radio frequencies is going to get the wrong people's attention one way or another. Particularly if said audio often contains words like 'gently caress' and 'friend of the family'.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
i saw this on dissensus and laughed then came and posted it here:

http://i.imgur.com/kuyYO.jpg

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
Burial's great single work is imo shutta. But a few thoughts about the latest ep after a couple of listens.

The beats sound a lot straighter than his previous stuff, and not just because b1 + b2 have a 4x4 kick, but there seems to be a lot less movement going on generally, a lot less rhythmic ambiguity (which I think shutta is probably the the ultimate example). you could sort of say the same thing about the vocal hooks, for example in ashtray wasp the sample 'I belong to you, oooo oo' is left relatively untreated - laid bare this sounds rather out of step with the rest of the track, or in fact most of his other productions which rely on more abstract snippets of heart bleeding rnb to a more ambiguous and powerful effect. to hear the full phrase destroys the mystery.

The ep generally is I think lacking obfuscation - that which makes his older stuff so effective. or maybe it's just got to the point where the formula has stopped doing it for me, i dunno.

One thing that I did like is the more... expansive format of ie ashtray wasp. Given his style (textual, often beatless, not strictly dance-floor, soundtrack to urban-x,y,z) and the way he supposedly constructs his songs (as parts of a larger whole) I'm surprised it's taken him so long to try some extended experimentation with song structure. i think this is probably the most interesting thing about the EP, but not really pushed very far in any case which is a bit annoying.

/burial thoughts

mr box
Mar 6, 2001

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Dude the first words on Untrue are "Holding you, good at being alone / Kissing you, tell me I belong."

Nothing was all that obfuscated by the treatment of the samples (shell of light, "Closer," Ghost Hardware, "Love you"). In fact, I'd say the fact that the way the vocals on the Kindred EP tend to flit in and out of coherence contributes to its sense of menace. Go to 4:30 in Ashtray Wasp and tell me what is being said there doesn't go beyond words. I find your whole line of reasoning weird and UNTRUE (get it?)

ok you've misheard the lyrics in untrue which sort of proves my point. only sort of because i'm not talking just about the literal meaning of words - contra. above: EVERYTHING is obfuscated when you have a sample that simply says 'love you'.

i am only talking about that specific sample in ashtray wasp btw, i accept the rest of the ep is in step. but maybe it isn't a lack of obfuscation, maybe it is just a poo poo sample? i'm not exaggerating when i say it ruins that track for me. sorry if this is a bit scattered but i'm late for work....

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q_tb5puRE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
New LHF abum is quality. massively exceeded my expectations. filmic like jungle and early dubstep, and sample based but still sounds really new and fresh. bit like horsepower but more weird an eclectic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZ2UAZvS9w

edit - will wait for the results of the spectrum analysis before i cast judgement tho lol

mr box fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 26, 2012

• Locked thread