Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

we ask if something "still holds up" not because of how sf gets more inaccurate over time but because we tend to read a lot of sf as teenagers and in later years we realize that most of it was utter garbage

the question is really "is this still good when read as an adult who has been exposed to things other than genre fiction"

yeah this

we changed and the genre fiction remained dumb/gross

or we didn't and we need it to be more dumb and gross

can someone gently caress a blue alien with a light saber that transforms into some giant black genitals

eh, rick and morty probably did that when i wasn't looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

we ask if something "still holds up" not because of how sf gets more inaccurate over time but because we tend to read a lot of sf as teenagers and in later years we realize that most of it was utter garbage

the question is really "is this still good when read as an adult who has been exposed to things other than genre fiction"
both you and vOv specifically mentioned "looking silly" and "obvious anachronisms" and he's reading it for the first time as an adult, i'm not sure how i was supposed to divine this completely different idea that you're talking about

and even in the situation you describe it's not a question of the book "holding up" as if a changing reader is some property of the book itself

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
payphones aren't anachronistic anyway, you just don't notice them like you don't notice mailboxes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

payphones aren't anachronistic anyway, you just don't notice them like you don't notice mailboxes

they built a new one on the corner of my block next to the streetcar stop last week. i sure as hell noticed

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

they built a new one on the corner of my block next to the streetcar stop last week. i sure as hell noticed

I think they do that for wifi now

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

vOv posted:

this reminds me of a thing i read about during my Internet Skeptic days where people would claim they could help people with severe learning disabilities communicate by moving their hand around a board or whatever and waiting for them to 'signal' the right letter. turns out that this has all the problems you think it does.

it gets worse :smith::hf::barf:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/magazine/the-strange-case-of-anna-stubblefield.html

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
im starting the years of rice and salt audiobook again, did you motherfuckers somehow miss my last post about Balki being the narrator?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sham bam bamina! posted:

btw it's really irritating when people in this thread ask if something old "holds up" as if good books or movies have some kind of expiration date, it's such an awful way of thinking about things

"well, i guess childhood's end was good for the time, but of course this is 2015"

they absolutely do

john carter was great for 1912, not so much in 2012

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heresiarch posted:

There are still some otherwise decent stories out there that you just can't take seriously because of how things have unfolded though. Like the book 'The Immortals" by Tracy Hickman, which is mostly about the US Government rounding up everyone with AIDS (well, a thing related to it) but since it was written in 1996 part of what drives the story is that the internet ends up "dying" in the late 90s and is replaced by interactive cable, which allows the evil conservative government to exert massive control over it. And then the book was re-released in the late 2000s with the timescale moved up ala the revised The Stand and everything feels even more out of place.

It's actually still a pretty good story, but a lot of the stuff on how the main action is possible creaks like hell. Pretty good commentary on how Regan deliberately mishandled the AIDS epidemic though. People should read it.

Another thing that doesn't hold up due to technology changing: pretty much every Cory Doctorow book within 18 months of being released. Not that them tending to not be very good from the start helps, but still.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

yeah i learned about facilitated communication in school and its hilarious to watch a teacher ask a kid who doesnt even look remotely like theyre paying attention a question, pick up the kids hand, then smack some keys with it (all while the kid is staring off into space), then say "very good"

like really, who the gently caress has any illusion about this?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Yeah basically the other reason to ask "does this hold up" in regards to sci-fi is a way of saying "do the story and characters make this worth reading on their own?" because remember SF stands for speculative fiction too and pretty often the Big Idea a book is built around becomes out of date or passe or mundane, so short of a good accompanying story there is no point to reading it even if it was considered a classic of its time. For example, even though it was an integral part of Star Trek tOS, no one today really watches it for the multicultural aspect. Its not fresh or shocking or notable that there is a black woman in space or a russian working alongside westerners. Its still holds up because the characters and plots were well written enough though. On the other hand, I struggled a bit reading Gibson. I recognize and respect his books because they were so far ahead of their time, but by the time I read them the world was at a point where I could only think "yeah, this would have been mindblowing if I read it when it came out." The stories/characters were only okay.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oh poo poo its about to get all scifi/skiffy/spec fic itt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Star Trek tOS ... Its still holds up because the characters and plots were well written enough though.

Gibson ... The stories/characters were only okay.

you, uh, certainly have some unique opinions

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
hey kirk hosed blue and yellow chics okay, he's a really deep character

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
gibson holds up really well actually

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I struggled a bit reading Gibson. I recognize and respect his books because they were so far ahead of their time, but by the time I read them the world was at a point where I could only think "yeah, this would have been mindblowing if I read it when it came out." The stories/characters were only okay.
hmm. trash bitch, idiot.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

It wasn't meant to be a direct comparison, and I wasn't saying Gibson is bad, its just that you can tell a large part of what made it classic is how people reacted when it was released at the time it was. You will never be able to fully appreciate why he is revered the way he is coming to it late, and that feeling might permeate the whole reading. It did for me anyways. The setting is still strong, but the plots are simple noir twists for the most part, when you get down to it.

and Star Trek OS is being evaluated here on a TV sci-fi scale, okay? Its not the same standard as literature from 30+ years later or literature at all. It does hold up, its decently watchable outside the context of one of its core tenants being a then-radical multiculturalism.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hinterlands is one of my favourite short stories ever

motherfucking same

its so good

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

You will never be able to fully appreciate why he is revered the way he is coming to it late, and that feeling might permeate the whole reading.

i think you have to read gibson now to appreciate how spot-on he was :colbert:

so much of our language for even talking about computers is straight outta gibson

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
scifi discussion thread: straight outta gibson

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

schöne maschine...

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i think you have to read gibson now to appreciate how spot-on he was :colbert:

so much of our language for even talking about computers is straight outta gibson

Yeah in a way, but at the same time someone could pick it up and not even realize that so many of the terms were being coined right then and there, which is part of what I'm getting at. Its like how many people can read Shakespeare and have no idea that most of the turns of phrase that are common speech now originated there. To a degree, its the fault of the reader not having the context to fully appreciate something, but its also never as powerful experience going into a work backwards like that, no matter what you know.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man there's a load of new posts in the scifi thread, lemme just

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBSixNblakE

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

vOv posted:

how do the neuromancer books hold up? like i get that they're classics and i should read them, but are they still good in their own right or is it just going to look silly

this reminds me of a thing i read about during my Internet Skeptic days where people would claim they could help people with severe learning disabilities communicate by moving their hand around a board or whatever and waiting for them to 'signal' the right letter. turns out that this has all the problems you think it does.

yeah they're real good. Gibson is a good writer

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Improbable Lobster posted:

gibson holds up really well actually

gibson is a boring twat

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

You Am I posted:

gibson is, a boring twat

don't

sign

you're posts!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
later gibson isn't as interesting as early gibson because he stayed in one place while the world caught up and passed him

the peripheral was really good though

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
apparenly everyone is clamouring for a sequel to the gritty snow white reboot

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
it's actually a prequel so they can avoid having to use kristen stewart because she had an affair with the director

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
leading to the angry tumblr fangirls renaming the movie "ho white and the cuntsman"

(not even kidding)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm so sad those pretty people will be bathed in teal and orange saturation for ninety one minutes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
fargo is as good as true detective season 2 should have been

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the new ghost in the shell movie is old cyberpunk as hell and awesome

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

deus ex: huntsman revolution

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
where would furiosa even get a dress made out of broken glass and birds

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

computer parts posted:

it's actually a prequel so they can avoid having to use kristen stewart because she had an affair with the director

she might as well have been a prop in the first one

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

JawnV6 posted:

she might as well have been a prop in the first one

more blatant misogyny in the scifi thread

women are not objects

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING