Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i'm actually from the future but i can't use my future knowledge to make bets on the stock market or sports or anything because i'm ignorant as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

Anathem was alright.

i thought so too

the wifu and i are doing some work that has us in the car for many hours at a time so we're listening to the audiobook now and it's p cool

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a loooooooooooot easier to find good science fiction than it is to find good fantasy

extremely true

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
topical

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
wait i thought the one where data got a boner WAS measure of man

:xd:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah but they goddamn owe it after the last one :catstare:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

Art is a video game.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

the culture series is some of the best scifi you can get

so yea read player of games and then all the rest

it's weird, i like banks' books but at the same time i never feel emotionally connected to his characters at all.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

it's weird, i like banks' books but at the same time i never feel emotionally connected to his characters at all.

science_fiction.txt

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i think i read canticle for leibowitz, but i can't remember what it was about at all

and maybe i'm just thinking of a rose for ecclesiastes

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lost was intermittently good and mostly fun to watch and then just went bluhbluhbluh and started smearing poop all over itself in the last twenty minutes of the show

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

Started Singularity Sky last night, never read any Stross before because he seemed really goony but it was like $2 used so I figured I'd check it out.

it's basically about a super-advanced space 4chan

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

Worst final episode: Lost or Battlestar Galactica?

i'd say lost just because the dropoff in quality, and hence the disappointment, was so abrupt. lost stayed pretty entertaining to me all the way through, and even up until ~15 minutes from the end of the last episode i thought they were building toward a fairly interesting conclusion and then WHAMMO

bsg was basically a long slow slide from being pretty amazing mid-season 3 down to a sad wet farting noise at the end

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

lol you're one of "those" people

alright keep fellating yourself and your likeminded friends that Lost was always about the characters and never had mystery as its core premise and the reason people watched the show

yup

once lindelof and cuse started giving interviews where they said "it's really all about the characters maaaaaaan" it was instantly apparent that they had written themselves into a corner they didn't know how to get out of

also, that lovely ending was lovely from a character point of view as well

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mr_jim posted:

if you end up getting probated for drunk posting, i'm down with this plan.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
cowboys and aliens looks like it will be dumb as hell and i will love every single second of it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

The worse it is the better it will be basically

p much

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i read and liked late heinlein when i was a little too young to really get how hosed up it was, now i look back at it and holy poo poo

i wonder if he has a granddaughter and if she ever just thinks "hey i think my grandpa wanted to gently caress me" and then just spends the rest of the day barfing

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

there's some weird story of his i cant remember where some space boyscouts are stranded on some planet as part of their survival training and something gets hosed up and they're marooned there for years and omg bootstraps

tunnel in the sky

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

yes, i said it was heinlein already, there's no need to belabor the point

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that book came up when the dude from slate was interviewing me about my album. he asked if i read a lot of apocalyptic fiction and i rattled off a few that i'd read including that one, and he was all "lol you mean the one where the scary future world is ruled by black people?" and i laughed my rear end off because i hadn't even remembered that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coffee Quack posted:

piers.
anthony.

loving.
sucks.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is piers anthony actually creepy? i just remember him as being excruciatingly bad. maybe i blocked those bits from memory, in which case tyvm brain

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh right but on the creepy/horrible axis lol l. ron hubbard

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

duTrieux posted:

*in the terminal bookstore, 5 minutes before boarding*

"i need a book to read, let's see, 'color of herdanites'. whatever, i'm sure it has dragons and poo poo"

*on the plane*

"noooooooooo"

lol

also i didn't read that book so if that's the creepiest one that would be why i didn't remember him being creepy. i read like the first three xanth books and said "this is garbage" then read nothing else by him for twenty years. friends kept telling me that the incarnations series was totally different and amazing so i finally read it and SURPRISE, it's not. i mean it's no doubt his best work but i'm sure franklin dropped a deuce in the cat box once that he thinks was his "best" too

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

space mining/colonization in general doesn't really make much sense I mean what are we going to do with an extra 8 trillion tons of iron

you narrowminded fool! if we can magnetize that we can erase every vhs tape in the galaxy!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

likewise with farts

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

z0ratio fartboner posted:

reading Fire and Ice by George RRRRRR martin after watching the series and it's pretty impressive how closely the series stayed to the book with the exception of making most characters appropriately older

and better looking

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i mean tyrion is repeatedly referred to as monstrous and disfigured in the books, and peter dinklage ain't that. i would go so far as to say that if i was going to get it on with a male dwarf he'd be pretty high on the list

likewise brienne and a bunch of other characters - supposed to be uggos but we can't have that on tv now can we

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

i'm a big gay homo that likes big ships flying around the galaxy

:hfive:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

is fire upon the deep/deepness in the sky good and what order should I read them in

i like them, and it doesn't matter what order really. there's only one character in common, the books happen thousands of years apart, and the events of one aren't important to understanding the events of the other

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
btw there's a new one coming out in a month or so if you didn't already know that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is there a name for that style of drawing faces

because i'm really not a fan of it

kricfalusism

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i just read the book ready player one by ernest cline. the plot description sounded awful but the reviews were so good that i just had to check it out. turns out the reviewers were idiots, it's not very good

welp that's my story

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

i usually do a bit of research (talking w/ friends, internet) before i buy a book but i just bought this from the cover alone:

i'm only 50 pages in. anyone read?

i liked it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
breaking bad owns all of the bones

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
youre poasting

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

reallyprettymad posted:

I havent read any of his new stuff, but i remember hearing he literally said something like "im not writing sci fi any more cause its all pretty much reality now" and imo thats kinda cool

"welp everything i wrote about came true, and there's no possible way i could have a new idea about anything"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah but that was happening fifty years ago

i mean i understand what gibson's saying and it is kinda cool, but it doesn't really justify his crappy new books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

I really liked Pattern Recognition and count it as one of his best books actually :shobon:

haven't read it, actually

i read spook country though and i found it really disappointing. it kept seeming like it was on the edge of turning into a cool story but then nope

• Locked thread