Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AtomD posted:

can neil blompkamp make 2 good movies?

he's gotta make 1 good movie first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ahhh spiders posted:

the whole part with the colonists before the marines arrive kills the mystery

yes the amazing mystery about what happened to all the colonists in a movie called "aliens"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why is every nerd's automatic reaction to something they don't understand to label it stupid, poorly conceived or badly executed

things exist that you may not grasp fully upon first experiencing, it's okay that doesn't make you a dumb or bad person, really :shobon:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PipeRifle posted:

counterpoint: something can still be bad even if it's "deep" or "meant to raise questions, not answer them" etc.

Like, I liked inception just fine, but some people didn't. Those people inevitably heard "oh you just didn't get it" at least once when telling their friends or the internet that they didn't like it and that's lovely

Saying "you must just be too dumb" is a rude way to invalidate someone's opinion and I won't have it on MY internet

i don't disagree with that either, the point is a lot of the complaints about prometheus arose from "wtf this doesn't make any sense i don't get it, it must be bad" without even trying to engage with it on any level

it's sort of the equally dumb inverse of "the avengers is great, you just gotta shut off your brain and enjoy the ride" when people tried to critique it at all

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think the only thing i found inconsistent (but mostly because it felt like it was shoehorned in by the studio) was the alien cameo at the end

it didn't quite ruin the movie, but scott should have been more willing to make the film stand on its own and not make a last-minute connection to establish it as a prequel or sidequel or something

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wish they had gone forward with their original plan for star trek iv and have a subplot where the enterprise crew is being trailed by a detective played by eddie murphy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that actress so far has played two different characters who regress to a childlike state before dying horribly

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why do people criticize anna torv's acting when she also plays another character that's entirely different, if you've gotta bitch about it it's the writer's fault not hers

also john noble owns as walter and walternate

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if there's anybody's acting on that show that can be uneven it's pacey's

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
teal'c and o'neill golfing through the stargate was mega-ownage

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

who knew eriq la salle was up for a role on star trek after his breakout performance in coming to america

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
voyager only starts to get tolerable after janeway loses the mary worth hair kind of like how tng improved with riker's beard

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah nog owned plus he was never a child actor he was in his twenties when he started on ds9

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
but he wasn't though

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please ban anybody that would speak ill of avery brooks/benjamin sisko tia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's quite clearly a cat

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mind Spew posted:

its kinda dumb to say that no game can ever by located in any country with one race prevalent because its racist

i dont think it was really racist i just dont think they thought out how people would interpret it because they seem to be incapable of thinking about proper level or game design recently

there is a level where you fight the vicious black hordes in their literal mud hut village

the level includes literal mud huts where you must go to kill all the savages

literal
mud
huts

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the only good episode of voyager was the one where seven of nine wrestled the rock

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think iron man's origin story of getting shrapnel lodged in his chest because he stepped on a mine in vietnam is the best

his super power is "doesn't die from shrapnel entering his heart"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
kings was a really interesting concept that didn't really get a chance to find its footing, which i blame on nbc mostly

also caprica didn't get a fair shake

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sgu was a good sci-fi series it just didn't fit the tone of the rest of the sg series

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
once again it's clearly a cat

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

good

quote:

made by gaiman

does not follow

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cold on a Cob posted:

doesn't fly ftl and crew is in cryosleep

plausible not probable. it's not as hard as gattaca sure but it's on the hard side of the spectrum

note this is hard sci fi not full on spec fiction thx

of course it's ftl travel you dummy the miners weren't traveling for hundreds or thousands of years at a stretch, ripley was shocked when she was gone for 50 years at the start of aliens

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cold on a Cob posted:

yep that's why i didnt include aliens i remember nothing in alien indicating they were traveling ftl whereas aliens ruins it

i see and the company that they worked for that was going to give them bonuses for their efforts were playing the double-extra-long-game and hoping that their employment contracts would pay off hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of years later as the dinky little mining vessel putts along at sub-light speeds back to earth

a sound business plan all around where can i invest in this company maybe my great-great-great-grandchildren can reap the dividends

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
also district 9 was racist as all gently caress but little else could be expected from a south african production

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux. posted:

not really, actually. the key is that in district 9 the white guy doesn't manage to out-native the natives. it's a ham-fisted allegory, sure, but it's not a racist one.

compare to, say, avatar or fern gully or last samurai or

that's not the issue

the issue is that the afrikaaner shitbag director couldn't bring himself to have a single sympathetic actual black person as a character in his movie

his entire metaphor-for-apartheid race was depicted as more sympathetic than every black human in the entire film, including and especially the literal bone-in-nose savages who were exploiting the aliens (as all those savage blecks do to each other, which is why it's okay the white man did it to them)

Stymie fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 8, 2012

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kicks forts posted:

what about wikkus's assistant at the start of the film? as far as I can remember him and wikkus's wife were the only remotely positive human characters

ah yes, the sniveling comprador who gleefully stabs his superior (who has been literally infected with blackness) in the back as soon as the white power structure gives him the opportunity to advance

truly a shining example of positive portrayal of a black man, though admittedly better than the literal bloodthirsty savages led by a cannibalistic witch doctor character

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kicks forts posted:

the guy ends up in prison at the end for trying to expose MN?

is this some kind of never surrender lf remnant trolling?

which naturally excuses his betrayal of wikius and as we all know hacking always produces positive results, i mean look at all the great thinks wikileaks has accomplished such as

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

dog tits stop looking too deep into scifi alien movie

it's not that deep of an analysis to acknowledge that a movie produced by south africans has a wee bit of a problem with portraying black characters positively, especially when it's supposed to be an allegory about the horrors of apartheid

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kicks forts posted:

A list of positive black role model characters in the science fiction film District Nine:
-

A list of positive white role model characters in the science fiction film District Nine:
-

ahahaha yes all of the noble (but ultimately misguided) white characters are depicted on the same level as the black boogeymen from every racist screed about how de blecks were just as responsible for black oppression

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i bought swiss cheese

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the chronicles of riddick was two and a half movie ideas stitched poorly together

one movie was literally "like pitch black but the opposite"

one movie was "hey, that warhammer stuff sure is neat"

the half movie was "vin diesel wants to be a superhero rather than just a cool antihero"

Stymie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 23, 2012

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hating on family guy for being unfunny is even more unfunny as evinced by the fact that south park had an episode doing just that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the premise of this science fiction show is ludicrous and it is utterly ruining my immersion

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the rocketeer owns and also established that timothy dalton makes one hell of a heavy

see also: hot fuzz

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
actually we should keep god on our money because the idea is deference to a higher power than oneself combats the poisonous ideology of individualism whether it comes from nihilistic atheism or randian objectivism

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if we must get rid of in god we trust, we should translate e pluribus unum to english and make it more prominent

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux. posted:

the "higher power" is the american experiment god you are a terrible citizen

exactly, in the context of "in god we trust" it's a convenient stand-in for a democratic society that everybody can accept, just not ridiculous dawkins atheists

quote:

what kind of uneducated retard doesn't know what that means

uh uneducated retards coming from lovely american schools?

or maybe i missed the strong push in charter schools to give a classic education, including latin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux. posted:

what does this have to do with anything

there's no reason to remove in god we trust from our money unless you're some awful militant atheist

quote:

learning the meaning of words on our money is a far cry from being taught latin, sorry for your terrible education and/or complete lack of curiosity about the world around you

it was a joke using hyperbole to illustrate that many people are not taught what common latin phrases mean, even those on our money

• Locked thread