Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

After the watching the pilot for The Man in the High Castle, I'm really hopeful that the series is going to be very good.

I can always use some more Dick. Especially when its confused, melancholy and otherworldly Dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

netflix picked up Black Mirror for 12 episodes

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The movie is good and different from the book, like many adaptations of Dick

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

haven't yet read a bad one but goodies are

ubik
valis
do androids dream of electric sheep?
flow my tears, the policeman said

haven't gotten around to these two but i've heard good things about them

the man in the high castle
the three stigmata of palmer eldritch

do androids dream... and the man in the high castle are among some of my favorite lucid-Dick.

Also I really do enjoy we will remember it for you wholesale but its a short story.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

syscall girl posted:

i enjoy when good books/stories are turned into hollywood rubbish only fit for plebes for a couple of different reasons

neither "diminish" the original material

hey now the first total recall was better than that!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gus Hobbleton posted:

wasnt there some sci fi weapon that just launched a giant piece of inert metal straight down so fast that it obliterated a planet?

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

trick question, narnia isn't worth reading

gently caress you buddy the voyage of the dawn treader rocks

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

this is acceptable, nostalgia is a powerful thing and i would never fault someone for it, as long as they realize it's nostalgia

i read the narnia books when i was ~12 after lord of the rings and man i did not like them at all

what's your feeling on Bradbury though?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

if your point was that i'm vulnerable to nostalgia, of course i am, but lord of the rings or something would've made a better target. i'm still fond of it and it's a great book but i realize part of that is the fact that my beady little 10 year old eyes lit up when my grandmother gave me that stupid 1200 page tome and i chewed through it in a week.

nah I was curious because I feel LoTR reminds me more of Azimov and Clarke...big into getting the world "right" (be it hard scifi, psychohistory, or elvish) while Lewis, Bradbury, Dick et al were way more feelz based.

This is obviously not well put or thought out

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gently caress OSC, I don't even care about his work. Whoop-ti-do, someone read speaker of the dead and found it deep.

Now Heinlein, that's an author that I wish hadn't written such horrible (usually sexist) stuff mixed in with his scifi. Like a number of his books I couldn't complete because of it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont think the moon is a harsh mistress is a libertarian paradise really. it starts out being super, super unregulated because none of the governments really seem to own anything and then they revolt because ??? and it's the same as before but with a lot of damage.

nah, they revolted so that they'd get paid for their poo poo rather than have to pay for their poo poo. that's literally what it was all about

also marrying your daughter's husband

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amethyst posted:

predicating what you read on their idealistic content sounds noble but it's actually just stupid.

I cannot enjoy this heinlein book because it contains sexist attitudes straight out of the 50s (which is when the book was written)
Oh, darn, Baron Harkonnen is clearly a homophobic charicature. *throws dune in the bin*
Dracula? Extremely xenophobic, obviously. Oh what, eastern europeans are destroying the moral fiber of victorian england? loving regressive as hell, bram.
In fact I can't read ANY victorian lit whatsoever! Wuthering Heights has a plot based entirely around the danger of bringing a gypsy into your home. Jane Austen books are entirely based around how best to fulfill ones prescribed gender role.
Tolkein is obviously verboten since it has Edwardian era views on race.

what i'm saying here is, it is bad to IGNORE the ideology of books and pretend everything you like is good. but it's equally bad to restrict what you will even consider reading based on it, too. that will just make your entire cultural world a monochrome echo chamber

there's a difference between a book having a dumb ideology and the writer putting in the book "she then uttered a phrase too rude for a woman to say in print"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amethyst posted:

What are you referring to

I can't remember which Heinlein book it was, I read too many of his shittier ones.

Literally, it is a female character swearing, but instead of writing the swearword or @#&$, or just describing her reaction, he actually writes in the book that "she then made a reply that is unfit for a woman to say in print" or some poo poo like that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah lewis isn't on par with homer in terms of contribution to western lit, but they both make good stories for children if you pick and choose a bit

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amethyst posted:

this book is pretty good, I guess, but is it the cornerstone for an entire continent's worth of literary history spanning multiple millennia?

Actually lol

Yeah I was just meaning they both make good children stories even if you skip over the gore and sex

Was homer the clancy of his day?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kids should be able to watch The Day the Earth Stood Still even though it has a bunch of Jesus allegory in it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

what Keanu role is he not playing jesus

I had purged the memory of that remake from my mind, I need a shower

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Best Keanu is in much ado about nothing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i get it, y'all read this poo poo as kids and somehow squeezed some enjoyment out of that cold, stony ground. go back and re-read it now. that poo poo is joyless. why would you give it to a kid

are you talking about The Giver?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

seriously the giver is way worse to give to kids than leon the which and war drove

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Time Dissolver posted:

The season 2 episode of Bojack Horseman about meat production is science fiction by any reasonable standard. they show you a world different than our own and explore the implications of that difference

It also convinced me that the real soylent would sell better than the SV version.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amethyst posted:

what

no it isn't

comedy with anthromorphic animals isn't magical realism jfc

its magical cause they don't try to :techno: it away

its realism cause bojack and crew don't get hung up on the fact he's a horse of course

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

other noted entries in the magical realism genre: the smurfs, the transformers, those commercials with toucan sam, and those commercials where the bottle of racist maple syrup moves around

star wars

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FMguru posted:

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to see the robots that disguised themselves as cars and planes and radio-cassette players.

:five:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

hey,

star trek

thanks

yeah I don't think I'm going to pay $5.99 a month for it though

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ol qwerty bastard posted:

yeah i'm tentatively optimistic. not that we know anything at all about what it'll be at this point

but i'm always in favour of more sci-fi on tv

i hope it has a cool spaceship

Only the first episode will actually be on tv right? The rest will be streaming only on CBS's paid streaming platform I think.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glorgnole posted:

knights of sidonia did get some really impressive mileage out of exploring what happens to giant boobs in zero-g. they just stuck boob jiggles wherever they could (i.e. every character in every scene).

they even managed to give characters giant anime boobs who didn't have them originally, to maximize jiggling

No see they're naked because plants

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

this is also a bad thing

short stories should be stand-alones

decent short stories that are smashed together turn into bad novels, eg. i liked moorcock's elric short stories when i read them from anthologies, but they didn't work at all as novels

That's as much a sign of the time when it was published than anything though. The foundation series is no martian chronicles but still thought provoking, which is a sadly high bar

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oh poo poo its about to get all scifi/skiffy/spec fic itt

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shaggar posted:

Man in the High Castle on amazon is extremely mediocre

so best scifi on tv? :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rude.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

best part of jessica jones is mra redpill doctor who

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

because we don't talk about the star wars tie in books

right this is the skiffy thread not the fantasy thread :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EDITORS PICK:

The previous movies haven't been sci-fi. They've been action movies in space. That's not what Trek is about. Wrath of Khan managed to get some exciting space battles in while still getting at the morality of not one or two but THREE dilemmas brought about by science: Khan's genetically modified superhuman abilities, the potential for abuse of the Genesis Project, and not keeping an eye on the madman you left behind in an uninhabited star system. Separate from that, it dealt with the concepts of sacrifice and friendship and where they cross. I still get misty-eyed at the end, even having seen it dozens of times.

When I finally did watch Into Darkness on Netflix, I felt a little sad that it would be the last I would see of Leonard Nimoy as he basically signed off. I was right, of course, but I think it may have been for the better judging by the mess that this has become. The one actor who I think is actually providing a proper homage to the original is Karl Urban. Everyone else is at best a caricature of the originals and a mockery at worst, as has been the case with Checkov and especially Scotty.

I don't even know how to recover from this point. Bringing in a director that has a concept of pacing might be a good start, but I'm not sure who would be willing to do it, having to take the fragments the Trek universe has been shattered into and turn them back into something recognizable as Trek. Even then, this part might not be saved.
up ( +28 | +31 / -3 ) down

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

like theyre supposed to be adults who have been through The Academy or whatever and they all act like literal sixteen year olds

acting like a horny teenage is a key part of tos idk what you are on about

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

is this from the one about space trash men who have to get naked so they can photosynthesize and can change genders because japan?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shaggar posted:

Fantasy is the worst genre.

star wars isnt so bad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glorgnole posted:

axis & allies, but you have to do each battle on a separate table with miniatures etc

would unironically play in a well organized year long game of that if it had large teams.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

tyvm

honestly it would be fun to try to put together a game that is as hosed up as the US housing market, but it would be a whole lot like that Campaign For North Africa game Glorgnole was posting about in terms of how many rules you'd have

ooooh but you could have a part of it where you could pay X number of dollars to lobbyists to see if you could get the rules changed

if you include the drunken fight afterwards, i think most games of pit simulate the housing collapse pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

i was gonna say heinlein, but both are accurate

the heinlein is the reverse Mary Sue when the "female" is a dumb shallow audience surrogate who assumes she'll get to be with the author insert but he turns her down cooly in the end and maybe abandons her there

• Locked thread