Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

site posted:

yeah people who want to play out cop murder videos are someone you want to cross the street to avoid

it's an interesting phenomenon because I'll happily play doom or cod mp and giggle at the violence, but if it crosses an intangible line it's super gross and I don't want to touch it (see modern mortal kombat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

AFAIK they didn't compensate for its removal in the Director's Cut, everything looks weird in that too. Naturally, there's a mod to add the filter back in because it really did tie everything together.
Genuinely, I got Human Revolution when it came out originally, but I still had a kinda old rig even for the time and without even messing with the settings I never saw the filter on my playthrough for whatever technical reason. It was like a couple of years before I saw someone else playing with it on and the colors confused me because I thought maybe they had some augment or item mode turned on that I'd missed.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

victrix posted:

it's an interesting phenomenon because I'll happily play doom or cod mp and giggle at the violence, but if it crosses an intangible line it's super gross and I don't want to touch it (see modern mortal kombat)

That's kind of where I'm at too. I can play Doom Eternal all day and the gore doesn't bother me at all. But I cringe so bad if a character gets their arm broken or something in a game like The Last of Us. One is stylized violence against monsters/demons. The other is realistic harm against a human being.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Glagha posted:

It's kinda like the default texture filtering poo poo in GZDoom to me where i'm like who gives a poo poo let it look how it looks.

Ok I am not legally allowed to converse with people who use the smooth texture filter in GZDoom

quote:

Edit: For my GZDoom anecdote to be clear I'm saying the texture filtering looks like dogshit leave the pixels pixely. I'm not a monster.

Unfortunately I don't think that's the default :(

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ok I am not legally allowed to converse with people who use the smooth texture filter in GZDoom

Unfortunately I don't think that's the default :(

It is not the default. This is me saying that adding the filtering is dumb and bad as default, we're on the same page here!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do like using some of the more advanced GZDoom filters when playing Back To Saturn X, since it uses a lot of new assets and so it gives it the overall feel of being a new game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like using bilinear filtering in source ports. I know it makes the graphics blurry, it just works for me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

video games aren't movies

Fixing whatever's wrong with Starfield's color grading doesn't seem too controversial to me because 1) I can't tell if they actually had much of a vision, 2) if they did have a vision, they clearly didn't execute on it well at all, and 3) I live my life by Burger King rules

Now running System Shock Remaster's textures through some AI upscaler to make the equivalent of those 4k texture packs for Minecraft? That's a different story

The main issue with the Starfield colour mod isn't that they thought the colour grading was bad, it's that they thought "remove all colour grading" is the solution. It's like thinking a movie is too dark so you revert it to looking like the raw footage that came out of the camera.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I like using bilinear filtering in source ports. I know it makes the graphics blurry, it just works for me.

🤮

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

more ultrakill dropped

https://twitter.com/ULTRAKILLGame/status/1779950728015966376

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Volte posted:

The main issue with the Starfield colour mod isn't that they thought the colour grading was bad, it's that they thought "remove all colour grading" is the solution. It's like thinking a movie is too dark so you revert it to looking like the raw footage that came out of the camera.

Oh that's just one mod and it's not the one I use. The strong filtering feels tiring to my eyes so I just use one that tones it down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Only 240 mb, thought for sure it'd be huge. Oh well, not like I'm playing it for a while anyway

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Not enough love for this post, you made me spit out my coffee, well played.

Also Starfield looks like butt without external adjustments, I legit thought there was something set wrong in the graphics options or on my OLED monitor. But that’s the least of that game’s problems, I gave up on it like 10 hours in. What a snooze fest.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This brought a real genuine LOL.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Took me a moment but :laffo:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Took me a moment but :laffo:

Some explain to me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Some explain to me.

it's a freeze frame of him yelling "ATTICA!" from dog day afternoon

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hey have you played it yet? I know they were doing something with the alt marksman and introducing the third rocket launcher, there anything with the nailguns and shotguns?

e: Oh btw there's a huge FPS sale on steam right now, so if there's anything you haven't bought that you've been waiting for, now might be the time. They finally dropped the price of reaver to 10 bucks, think I'm gonna grab it.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 15, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know and I'm sorry. I have brain issues.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hey have you played it yet? I know they were doing something with the alt marksman and introducing the third rocket launcher, there anything with the nailguns and shotguns?

yeah all three of the remaining weapons variants are in with this update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmU9EK8_Q8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfjZBoR3Drk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuOKYBybbcc

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Descent 3 source code has been released. It's not compilable out of the box due to missing proprietary bits for video files etc. but hopefully it can get massaged into something that makes running Descent 3 on modern systems slightly less of a mess.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone know how DUSK modding's going since the SDK release?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black Mesa just got a patch

quote:

Improved Performance, Fixed UI Flicker, Improved Controller Support, and Bug Fixes!

Key Updates

Improved performance of the game (Vulkan, UI optimization, New Renderer/New Post Post Process Optimization)
Fixed cases where game would crash on startup
Fixed UI flickering and artifacting
Fixed crash in the first map of Interloper that players were experiencing
Improved controller support using Steam Input
-Click here for detailed notes on adjusting controller support
Fixed hitch when weapon decals are first applied to gun
Re-enabled weapon decals by default

Might be time to try it again on Steam Deck

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mordja posted:

Anyone know how DUSK modding's going since the SDK release?

It honestly just looked like a load of meme tier poo poo the last time I looked, although admittedly that was a bit back.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Kins posted:

The Descent 3 source code has been released. It's not compilable out of the box due to missing proprietary bits for video files etc. but hopefully it can get massaged into something that makes running Descent 3 on modern systems slightly less of a mess.

Hell yeah, we are truly in a golden age of playing old games. It's probably not aged too great, but I'd be interested in giving it another chance anyway. Mostly I've simply forgotten it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally played Rise of the Triad.

Wow this game does not deserve how nice this nightdive port is, especially after the recent update

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Finally played Rise of the Triad.

Wow this game does not deserve how nice this nightdive port is, especially after the recent update

agreed. It's an incredible port of a poor game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Me and a friend goofed off with RoTT, probably a pirated version, maybe a demo? Basically used a bunch of cheat codes in a big arena, and the only thing I recall was a cool gun called the fire wall which turned everyone into ash skeletons. Really slapstick stuff.

It being like, an actual game, with levels and challenge and all that, really does not compute. My rose-tinted incomplete memories of it are a far better version than anyone ever played.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
How on earth was RoTT released after Doom II?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You read the doom bible and it's like "huh, this is ambitious but also kinda dumb and I bet this game wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as what we got" then you realize Tom Hall's next big thing after writing it was RoTT and it all makes sense.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RoTT is great actually :colbert:. It's also terrible. I love it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RoTT is fun and goofy as hell and I'm pretty sure I played a lot more of it as a kid than Doom

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

How on earth was RoTT released after Doom II?
They were the Developers of Incredible Power, not the Developers of Incredible Punctuality.

In other news...

Turbo Overkill has released a new patch to mark Steam's FPS Fest sale, featuring a new Endless Mode map, along with the usual spate of bugfixes.

...and Beyond Sunset has updated with an updated version of the old demo levels as a "Chapter 0" prologue mapset, along with an official release of the synthwave soundtrack.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Serephina posted:

Me and a friend goofed off with RoTT, probably a pirated version, maybe a demo? Basically used a bunch of cheat codes in a big arena, and the only thing I recall was a cool gun called the fire wall which turned everyone into ash skeletons. Really slapstick stuff.

It being like, an actual game, with levels and challenge and all that, really does not compute. My rose-tinted incomplete memories of it are a far better version than anyone ever played.

Amen.

Also, wooooo! Turbo Overkill update! :toot:

And why didn't anyone tell me that the "Doom in Quake" mod (I'm blanking on the name... Qdoom?) was officially included in the remaster?!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I remember the RoTT game modes being fun to goof around with on multiplayer with my friend as a kid. The single player mode has zero appeal and it's the only Nightdive game I've ever refunded.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm glad Nightdive did the RoTT port for me and no one else because I really do love it. Find myself playing a level or two every few days. They just need to remaster TekWar and my 90s non-Doom FPS nostalgia can be complete (I did not like TekWar even as a kid).

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The weirdest part of RoTT being a bad Wolf3D clone is that Apogee already published the superior Wolf3D clone (Blake Stone) over a year prior.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wish I liked Supplice but man those levels just aren't fun to navigate at all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I wish I liked Supplice but man those levels just aren't fun to navigate at all.

It's very much the 'thing' with Supplice and other Doom projects from the lead dev, they put a heavy emphasis on map navigation (and the levels are big and complex).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

they are a NIGHTMARE if you stop playing the game at all and come back later, they're so hard to find your way around