Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I wish I liked Supplice but man those levels just aren't fun to navigate at all.

Some mappers think bigger + intricate = better and that can be true, but like, for a single penultimate map in a set of 10 before a quick boss fight map. Too much desert just makes you sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I can’t separate my nostalgia for ROTT as a big strange silly toybox made by nerds I’d drink with from the fact that it’s ambitious yet diffuse and sometimes tries my patience, so I give it 7/10. Definitely like it better than Blake Stone.

Corridor 7 Night Dive when :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The map layout in ROTT is so far aggressively awful. Like actively detrimental to the experience.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I mainly just remember being blown away by the giant moving flaming pillar room in RoTT and then the rest of the game just not really being any fun at all to play.

Also drat, another new Turbo Overkill update and they still haven't done anything to make the sound system not be total poo poo.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 16, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
hell of a soundtrack though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

hell of a soundtrack though

No question.

Also, I prefer most of Blake Stone to RoTT.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

The Descent 3 source code has been released. It's not compilable out of the box due to missing proprietary bits for video files etc. but hopefully it can get massaged into something that makes running Descent 3 on modern systems slightly less of a mess.

Whoa, that's really cool! I always had a soft spot for this game even though it has a lot of weird decisions and flaws (and bugs, especially in the mac/linux update that got released not that long ago), maybe now it can be cleaned up

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Kins posted:

...and Beyond Sunset has updated with an updated version of the old demo levels as a "Chapter 0" prologue mapset, along with an official release of the synthwave soundtrack.

I love that demo level so, so much. The rest of the game looked great and played fine but was otherwise alright. I was disappointed. I wouldn't even call it bad, just a letdown

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Other than the blaster, the grenade launcher has to be one of the poorer weapons in Quake 2. Love shooting grenades between an enemies legs!!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Kins posted:

The Descent 3 source code has been released. It's not compilable out of the box due to missing proprietary bits for video files etc. but hopefully it can get massaged into something that makes running Descent 3 on modern systems slightly less of a mess.

What good news. It’ll be nice to see it finally running well, everywhere. I haven’t had time to dig into it yet but was surprised that there’s a notable hunk of assembly in GitHub’s source analysis… I wonder why. Guess I’ll see if it compiles out of the box on a non-x86 machine tonight and see whether it barfs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vargatron posted:

Other than the blaster, the grenade launcher has to be one of the poorer weapons in Quake 2. Love shooting grenades between an enemies legs!!

Not sure I've ever had this problem....

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

How on earth was RoTT released after Doom II?
Among games released after DOOM II:

Blake Stone: Planet Strike

What a weird game. Worse than Spear of Destiny as the retail followup to a shareware game. I never actually owned a retail copy of Aliens of Gold, but I found the WizardWorks print of Planet Strike in a Walmart for $5.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not sure I've ever had this problem....

I don't know if it's the model changes between the remaster and the original version, but I've had grenades to straight through the legs of Gunners and Berserkers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vargatron posted:

Sounds like a skill issue. The grenade launcher is maybe more useful than the rocket launcher (the rocket launcher could use a buff)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sounds like a skill issue.

Highly probable. It's been a hot minute since I played Quake 2. The changes made in the Remaster are great, but some of the adjustments to enemy attacks are really throwing me off.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the jumping berserker attack just completely fuckin changes that dynamic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's probably some mechanic where the grenade stops exploding on impact after a certain condition was met, but I couldn't science it out or understand the source code, so instead I'm going to spread flagrant misinformation in the hopes of summoning someone who actually knows their stuff: It stops doing impact damage after two bounces. :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I simply put my grenades on target

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tiny Timbs posted:

RoTT is fun and goofy as hell and I'm pretty sure I played a lot more of it as a kid than Doom

were you kicked in the head by a mule

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A fun watch about shaving single frames off the speedrun for DOOM e1m1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSvxhzoLS0

Lol my face when it's noted how many attempts at the run were made to get the new record.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Guys guys guys! GUYS.

Met a friendly barber today. When paying, made a note of what his name was so I could ask for him later. His nametag said Nukus, which was rather unique and easy to remember, so I asked about it. He said that's just a nickname, his dad named him Nukum after a video game character. He showed me his store login, he was serious.

!!!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Holy gently caress.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I hope you didn't let the door hit you on the way out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Serephina posted:

Guys guys guys! GUYS.

Met a friendly barber today. When paying, made a note of what his name was so I could ask for him later. His nametag said Nukus, which was rather unique and easy to remember, so I asked about it. He said that's just a nickname, his dad named him Nukum after a video game character. He showed me his store login, he was serious.

!!!

Walking out with a black eye after you ask if he has balls of steel: "worth it"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Serephina posted:

Guys guys guys! GUYS.

!!!

Who would do that to a child and not just name him Duke which is an actual name a human has had

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Glagha posted:

Who would do that to a child and not just name him Duke which is an actual name a human has had
Asked and answered.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Serephina posted:

Guys guys guys! GUYS.

!!!

did he say "drat, i'm looking good" every time he caught himself in the mirror?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, he didn't have time to play with himself

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"Can you make me look better with this haircut?"

"Yer face, yer rear end... What's the difference?"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A fun watch about shaving single frames off the speedrun for DOOM e1m1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSvxhzoLS0

Lol my face when it's noted how many attempts at the run were made to get the new record.
gently caress karl jobst

but cool that ppl are still finding tech in doom

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What's wrong with the guy? All I know is he does videos on speedrunning.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress karl jobst

but cool that ppl are still finding tech in doom

Yeah, I clicked on the video not realizing it was him, and the moment I heard "Hullo you-..." I had to shut it off.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

What's wrong with the guy? All I know is he does videos on speedrunning.

racist rear end in a top hat

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

An Actual Princess posted:

racist rear end in a top hat

Who among us ...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Finally got started on the System Shock remake. Seems pretty good so far (made it to the elevator on Research) though it feels like it's missing something, maybe due to the relative lack of friction. Or maybe it's just the weird combination of modern game-ness and concise, retro design.

Hacking is also thoroughly...okay, but I don't think that's a hot take.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Combination of extreme visual busyness with simple, mostly grid-based mapping. It’s strongly reminiscent of all those goof rear end “Doom but MODERNIZED IN 4K!!” videos you can find. The simplicity of the design is made uncanny by the glitzy paint job.

I have no nostalgia for the original so I didn’t really mind that cyberspace is like low-rent DMT Descent instead of wireframe or whatever. It didn’t grab me much either though, I stopped around…wherever you get the laser rapier.

Oh also, was the scrap/recycling thing in the original? If so I think they could stand to have left it there

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 17, 2024

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

skasion posted:

Oh also, was the scrap/recycling thing in the original? If so I think they could stand to have left it there

Nope recycling was a new bit of tedium added for the remake.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

Nope recycling was a new bit of tedium added for the remake.

Is it ignorable? or am I going to miss out on anything good if I just ignore it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I dunno if will help, but it sure tripped me up: Right click on junk and vaporize it. Turns it into a generic, stacking, 1x1 junk cube on the spot to be recycled at your leisure.I

You'll want to do it because you'll want the credits and they don't really come from anywhere else aside from the occasional pre-placed coin.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I dunno if will help, but it sure tripped me up: Right click on junk and vaporize it. Turns it into a generic, stacking, 1x1 junk cube on the spot to be recycled at your leisure.I

You'll want to do it because you'll want the credits.

I figured out vaporizing but…I still don’t want to bother with it. This is junk. The game is telling me the stakes are high and immediate. I’m here to hack and slash, not recycle.