Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I dunno if will help, but it sure tripped me up: Right click on junk and vaporize it. Turns it into a generic, stacking, 1x1 junk cube on the spot to be recycled at your leisure.I

You'll want to do it because you'll want the credits and they don't really come from anywhere else aside from the occasional pre-placed coin.

I hate inventory with a burning passion, so having a stupid right click on every piece of trash mechanic was not a bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This is cyber punk also. Youre supposed to leave the trash lying around, stay poor, violent and emotionally detached from the future

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, I question the design myself but I was mostly just relieved to find out I wasn't expected to manually haul each individual item around to be scrapped.

skasion posted:

Combination of extreme visual busyness with simple, mostly grid-based mapping. It’s strongly reminiscent of all those goof rear end “Doom but MODERNIZED IN 4K!!” videos you can find. The simplicity of the design is made uncanny by the glitzy paint job.

Also tbh it's not so much the graphics as it is the gameplay I guess. Everything moves and feels slick and smooth but then the combat is like...use gun on enemy. I'm not even sure if there's headshot mechanics.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Recycling is a SS2 mechanic that they backported, alongside the vending machines. It's fine, the two interact well enough and allow the player to get more goodies for their favorite toys without the devs having to pull their hair about additional ammo placement.

I've not done a no-scrapping playthrough, but I'd imagine that you'd have to totally give up ammo purchasing if you did it, and maaaybe a weapon upgrade or two, which are also new mechanics. By the back half of the game I'd stopped recycling entirely as I cbf (and my inventory was always full) so it's clearly not crucial, probably more of an early-game Skinner box thing for when loot is still scarce.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 17, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I clicked on the video not realizing it was him, and the moment I heard "Hullo you-..." I had to shut it off.

I hate his videos because of that intro specifically. If he's racist on top of that just lmao.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So did you explain who duke nukem was

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, he already said he's a barber

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just laughed and said his dad must have such a neeerd. That and I walked away wondering how loving old I am, that was a fully grown man I was talking to.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cleared Quake 2 on Hard today. The penultimate level isn't as confusing now that I remembered where everything is. I reckon I'll start on The Reckoning tomorrow and see how that goes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The reckoning's weapons are pretty fun but god do I hate the reptile enemies and the swamp levels are really loving dire.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Baron von Eevl posted:

The reckoning's weapons are pretty fun but god do I hate the reptile enemies and the swamp levels are really loving dire.

Yeah I got through that area today and it did suck. But it's better now that I'm at the actual base area hunting power cores. The difficulty feels a bit higher than the original campaign, I think mainly because the pace of getting new weapons has been slower. I'm about 2 hours in and I just now got the Chain Gun and some power armor.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
The old expansion enemies are my least favorite part of CotM and the quake 2 experience as a whole

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah that CotM pack that's almost entirely them and mutants is tedious.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Boy howdy, you think you hate mutants now, but just wait until you see some Turrets :smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Did anybody take Acclaim up on that offer and name their kid Turok

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The turrets aren't that bad these days, the little laser sights they added to them helps a lot.

I know the phalanx isn't a very good weapon, sort of a half-assed shotgun rocket launcher, but it is kinda fun and the ion ripper is legit great, dealing higher damage per cell (although lower dps) than the hyper blaster. GZ's only real good weapons are the tesla mine (which only got good with the rerelease because it works very well against flying enemies now) and the black hole gun (which was added for the rerelease). The plasma cannon is poo poo and the whatever shard gun is only okay for stationary targets like the turrets.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm starting to form a clearer set of criticisms of the System Shock remake (and/or the original).

The most significant: All the bugs. Custom map markers seem to just flatout not work right now. The elevator back to medical doesn't show up on the map. Both of these are apparently old news, but they sure do make navigation an extra pain in the rear end. Also had a straight up fatal error at one point.

I do think it's also a little tacky and weird to work at getting up to a few of the more obvious secret areas only to discover it's another Skully. (Meanwhile how you'd ever find that "real" secret area on flight deck... The only seeming hint was the tiniest little automap barb sticking out.) And even going back to earlier areas with the viro pack and discovering almost every contaminated area I originally avoided just had like, one crate with a grenade in it.

I'm struggling a bit with the lack of handholding. But in more of a general QoL kind of way. I don't think I want nor need waypoints or a big arrow, because I like to explore. But the nuts and bolts of the primary path keep frustrating me.

Like I quickly found where to plug the isotope in, but only figured out where it was after methodically clearing every other floor. And the weirdness of the means to turn off the radiation being beyond it, next to an audio log saying they need to find a way to shut off the radiation. Knew I needed to shut off the laser safety, but where's the code? Oh, it's flashing on a screen in a room I've already been to that I overlooked, because 90% of surfaces are meaningless greebles or just blank walls.

Which I think speaks to the biggest weakness of the hacking. Destroying a node generates a tiny, blink and you'll miss it status message saying what you just did. Made all the worse because the message might pop up while I'm on the run from angry countermeasures and trying not to die. I also assumed that you'd be able to find hack upgrades in the real world to give you an edge but seemingly not? It makes the super abstract, siloed off nature of hacking even worse. And now that hacks are getting more long and involved I'm definitely getting sick of 'em.

Inventory management has also hit a fatigue point where I've had to "orphan" new weapon finds because I have no easy way to haul them around, even temporarily just so I can stash them somewhere more convenient. Can't wait to forget where I left them because I couldn't mark the map.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Inventory management has also hit a fatigue point where I've had to "orphan" new weapon finds because I have no easy way to haul them around, even temporarily just so I can stash them somewhere more convenient. Can't wait to forget where I left them because I couldn't mark the map.

For what it's worth, the way I tended to handle this issue was, for whatever I couldn't store in the cargo lift (or wasn't using for ease of access) I would put either in the medical room of a given deck, or the big storage room on the Maintenence Deck (the central room with the Freight Elevator to the Storage deck) which had a ton of crates that I'd just store things in, just to prevent any physics shenanigans. Since there's a lot of coming back to that deck a lot during gameplay it served nicely as a central hub for my extra weapons and gear.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 19, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's exactly the sort of solution I'd love to enact if it wasn't such a hassle to juggle all these huge unwieldy weapons. (Oh, also, love the surprise size increase when you mod them for damage.)

Though in my denseness I never considered stashing things inside crates.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Thinking on it more, I'm struggling to think of a modern game that really nailed grid based inventory. It has that problem a lot of these sorts of systems have where it's an optimization puzzle where the reward is...baseline competence.

RE4 made it work thanks to a load of different factors. Weapons in the same class using the same ammo, with the expectation that guns were broadly interchangable/upgradable. Really elegant problems to solve like managing herbs, where there was a delayed reward for keeping those half-completed herb mixes around. And of course, the fact that the game had a dynamic loot system that helped balance things out, so the limited inventory created tension but didn't put an absolute chokehold on the gameplay. Oh, and the game paused when you entered it. That sure as hell helps.

Deus Ex also comes to mind where inventory was cramped, but also strictly for usable items, with ammo getting stored in a separate bag of holding. That by and large eliminated all the time consuming loving around while still giving an easy, at-a-glance understanding that the GEP Gun taking up a whopping six slots was a choice you were making and would have to potentially compensate for.

System Shock is bumping into basically every problem it can. Every gun has its own multiple types of bespoke ammo, and while the icons are different from one another it's not something I can parse at a glance. Guns past the starting ones take up ridiculously huge footprints while having ambiguous usefulness. I've been hauling the assault rifle around this whole time and I've repeatedly forgotten I've had it because the basic arsenal works so well 90% of the time. (Though I also blame it on the stupid default segmented hotbar, I gotta turn that off ASAP.) I struggled to consider whether the SMG was an upgrade vs. the pistol I had spent so much effort upgrading, with the only given information to compare being the raw bullet damage. Which itself is borderline meaningless without easy access to enemy HP numbers. Maybe I can use the enemy scanner implant thing? If I knew how to use it literally at all, because wow even on desktop all of the text (including button prompts) in the inventory is obscenely small and most tutorial messages hang around for like five seconds before disappearing or being dismissed through my own actions. Edit: Oh and obviously needing to consult the inventory and use something in an emergency works infinitely worse when I have to remember the X and Y coordinates of where I left it.

I also yearn for an auto-sort like Prey had. Not to mention that I swear that sometimes even when there's space, smaller items will not get automatically bumped into new slots if you try to slap something bigger on top of them.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 19, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Civvie does another roundup video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3F6WL1j52I

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aside from Wizordum (which looks genuinely great and I will play it), and Doug Huggem (the ragdoll scene was pretty funny) all of these look absolutely heinous, cobbled together masses of raw aesthetic forged from Theodor Adorno's worst nightmares. Nothing is a thing, it has to be a nazi zombie robot anime whatevercore whateverwave whateverpunk vaporwave thing. I remember about 8 years ago in the dark enlightenment mock thread, I noticed this sort of thing brewing among nerd reactionaries and Gamergaters and the art they liked:

Woolie Wool posted:

Neoreaction/Dork Enlightenment and their cousins over at LessWrong and satellites hate and fear culture. Certainly, they like their commodified pop culture, but more for its signifiers than for its content--many, perhaps the majority of these works have themes and messages that run directly against the sort of thought that underpins these movements. Of course, most obviously and inescapably, Eliezer Yudkowsky's nerd fanfic opus pretty much negates every premise, every theme, every moral of the actual Harry Potter book series, which features an antagonist whose name is French for "flight from death", whose all-consuming lust for immortal life has destroyed his ability to understand or experience even the slightest joy or human attachment. His followers believe in the inherent superiority of a group of people with natural, inherited gifts, even though the actual events of the story show that these people are in character no better, and frequently worse, than "Muggles" without these gifts. He is ultimately defeated by someone who has the natural talent but was raised by those who do not, and successfully integrates the his magical and Muggle sides into a mature identity, accepts his own mortality, and is willing to fight and die even for--especially for--the Muggles that according to Voldemort, he should see himself as innately superior to.

Among these sorts of people (and, I suspect, by other fascist-minded movements of the past), culture and art are reduced to signifiers and bits of "cool" that they attach to themselves. Their own attempts at creating art end up as propagandistic self-promotion and/or fetishistic self-indulgence (see: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality). Art that cannot be put through this reductive process and left recognizable becomes the tools of the Enemy, a vehicle through which the Cathedral intends to infect virile Neoreactionary rationality with emotions and postmodernism and liberalism and nasty icky girly ~feelings~ because their cargo-cult rationality is so unimaginative and narrow that it leaves them unable to comprehend what it actually is, what it actually means, or why someone might actually like it.

It's kind of a tacit admission of the limits and weaknesses of their "rationality"--it falls apart if it tries to seriously examine culture, philosophy, or anything else that isn't some combination of data and facts. These all get shoved under the banner of the Cathedral, a massive part of the human experience that is now totally off-limits lest it infect you with its insidious mind viruses. It also means that their society would be, in my estimation, hellishly culturally sterile, endlessly recycling old signifiers without meaning in self-indulgent, flatulent spectacles created for the glorification of Neoreaction (see for comparison what happened to art, culture, and music under 1930s fascism). Artists, as inherently mysterious and threatening forces beyond the ken of the Neoreactionary nerd-kings, would be ruthlessly controlled and eliminated if they do anything the rulers feel threatened, insulted, or confused by. The masters of this realm would dream of their transhuman dreams coming to fruition so they can finally excise this troublesome culture from the human animal and we can exist as perfectly sociopathic beings of pure reason, unaffected by other humans' experiences and perspectives. There will be no homes, only sleeping modules; no food, only Soylent; no activities beyond maximizing production, efficiency, and power. For you, at least. Someone has to watch over the human ant farm of the future, hoarding the products of your labor as an immortal AI upload Smaug.

(of course later J.K. Rowling herself turned out to be even worse than Mencius Moldbug at this :ironicat:)

That perfectly describes these games, every single frame, every detail, every color choice is tied into The Brand and a high-concept aesthetic that could just as well be a prompt for a generative algorithm, but the aesthetic is also composed of other empty aesthetics, which in turn are also signifiers. You could not pay me to play Kvlt or the rocketpunk robot game, I hate this poo poo.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 19, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I ain't reading all that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Woolie Wool posted:

Aside from Wizordum (which looks genuinely great and I will play it), and Doug Huggem (the ragdoll scene was pretty funny) all of these look absolutely heinous, cobbled together masses of raw aesthetic forged from Theodor Adorno's worst nightmares. Nothing is a thing, it has to be a nazi zombie robot anime whatevercore whateverwave whateverpunk vaporwave thing. I remember about 8 years ago in the dark enlightenment mock thread, I noticed this sort of thing brewing among nerd reactionaries and Gamergaters and the art they liked:

(of course later J.K. Rowling herself turned out to be even worse than Mencius Moldbug at this :ironicat:)

That perfectly describes these games, every single frame, every detail, every color choice is tied into The Brand and a high-concept aesthetic that could just as well be a prompt for a generative algorithm, but the aesthetic is also composed of other empty aesthetics, which in turn are also signifiers. You could not pay me to play Kvlt or the rocketpunk robot game, I hate this poo poo.

Log off.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Personally, I think you’re really reading into this way too hard in trying to articulate why you’re just not interested in a lot of the games showcased in this video, and end up coming across as an angry weirdo in the process.
but honestly like, what I think gets me is like, you’ve got the wizard game in the good pile but throwing The Last Exterminator in the trash? Given how you seem to be angrily wanting just a good, basic-rear end fps game, I would have thought you’d include that one in there since that one’s just trying to be Duke 3D with a different flavor. The demo was really good and the whole thing is really straightforwardly just trying to capture the feel and vibe of Duke 3D but still being its own thing, and not trying to overcomplicate things.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just for that I'm gonna buy two copies of The Last Exterminator

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Extremely mad about an already gimicky subgenre

Last Exterminator owns and Brutal John is strangely fun and stupid.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not interested in a bunch of the games in that roundup, and I hate the aesthetics of a lot of them but I don't think it's because they're secretly nazi psyops or whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't think mullet mad jack could possibly be any more genz, it's tiktok in video game form

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not interested in a bunch of the games in that roundup, and I hate the aesthetics of a lot of them but I don't think it's because they're secretly nazi psyops or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

played a few hours of the system shock remake there, it rules

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I ain't reading all that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just for that I'm gonna buy two copies of The Last Exterminator

i will buy it for sure, the demo ruled

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bears in space demo was fun even though the sci-fi weapons are weak as expected. last exterminator demo was fine. devilated's already on my wishlist and just got a 0.95 update so it's gonna be done real soon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I finished the first non shareware mapset for Rise of the Triad.

How are these maps so bad. They are so bad. When you have this comprehensive a map view and Im still getting lost in this thats bad.

Its just an astonishingly bad game and like there could be a more fun thing in here but every combat encounter decision is tailor made to just make things take longer instead of being fun.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I finished the first non shareware mapset for Rise of the Triad.

How are these maps so bad. They are so bad. When you have this comprehensive a map view and Im still getting lost in this thats bad.

Its just an astonishingly bad game and like there could be a more fun thing in here but every combat encounter decision is tailor made to just make things take longer instead of being fun.

Every time I see a gameplay or review video for ROTT it looks like rear end, even Civvie spends most of his videos complaining about every aspect of the games. All I can think is that it's a generational Stockholm Syndrome where the FPS pickings were still so slim that you just had to play whatever was available and if all you had was ROTT then goddammit you played ROTT :colbert: I'll stick with Doom Duke and Blood TYVM.

Though I will admit that being the Wolfenstein engine is a technical marvel, even more so considering the original release era.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Takes No Damage posted:

Every time I see a gameplay or review video for ROTT it looks like rear end, even Civvie spends most of his videos complaining about every aspect of the games. All I can think is that it's a generational Stockholm Syndrome where the FPS pickings were still so slim that you just had to play whatever was available and if all you had was ROTT then goddammit you played ROTT :colbert: I'll stick with Doom Duke and Blood TYVM.

Though I will admit that being the Wolfenstein engine is a technical marvel, even more so considering the original release era.

Has anyone ever lobbied for ROTT over Blood? Just thinking about that idea seems virulently insane. But prior to 1996, yeah, pickings were slim - Wolfenstein, ROTT as a premier example of the various Wolf-alikes, Doom and Doom II, Heretic, the first Marathon if you had a Mac… Having seen Wolfenstein manage to deliver a playable experience on some absolutely miserable hardware*, yes, the engine is a little masterpiece within its limits.

* Tested on a 16 MHz 286, a 386DX/40, and the first family machine I’d ever dub a Frankenputer: a Compaq all-in-one 386 with 28MB RAM and an Intel 486 Overdrive chip, running Windows 95. Nearly everything took so much time to do on it, it was absolutely maddening. But not Wolfenstein!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Serephina posted:

Me and a friend goofed off with RoTT, probably a pirated version, maybe a demo? Basically used a bunch of cheat codes in a big arena, and the only thing I recall was a cool gun called the fire wall which turned everyone into ash skeletons. Really slapstick stuff.

It being like, an actual game, with levels and challenge and all that, really does not compute. My rose-tinted incomplete memories of it are a far better version than anyone ever played.

Same for me. Using the cheats to gently caress around with all the ridiculous weapons and powerups and laugh at the gore was a ton of fun. We didn't pay much attention to the actual game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think a lot of the (honestly paltry) affection people have for ROTT is carried by "priest porridge hot" and dog mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I haven't actually played the game beyond the first level but the ROTT soundtrack whips rear end