Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

50% awesome (Sticky Bomb launcher), and 50% suck (Full Auto, jesus gently caress what were they thinking)

Full auto is hampered by the ammo pool size of Doom Eternal and not having a real role until they kludged one for it in the DLC by basically treating shotgun as an elemental damage type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I used full auto a bunch when I stacked various ammo absorbing perks on myself. :shrug:

Like, yeah, it's not something you can use as a mainstay, but it can really tear through an encounter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Weapo’s cheese run of Gloomwood is fantastic

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh yeah, Gloomwood. I wonder if it's close to being 1.0 yet...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Gloomwood looks great and I bought it on the EA release day, but waiting for the full release to play, tbh. I also still haven't gotten around to The Black Parade mod for Thief so will prob get in that first

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Things are going great for Phantom Fury. https://twitter.com/FPSthetics/status/1783554587464552733

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
With the cutoff I was ready to go "hey, well those Steam achievement numbers take a while to update" but then I clicked through to the full image, lol

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I am now thinking about those beans.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thyrork posted:

As long as you don't jeopardise them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thyrork posted:

:same:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I’ve been playing Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, and it is really the most “authentic” retro shooter I’ve come across in that it captures the spirit of the late 90s/early 00s perfectly - brimming with creativity, sprawling, and overly ambitious to a fault.

The game is overloaded with mechanics and the levels are absolutely huge, reminiscent of the sort of freewheeling fpsers you would see in 2001 that used the quake 3 engine. But there are very odd quality of life decision. For starters: a item wheel, but no weapon wheel. a mobility dash that is absolutely essential to navigating the world, but doesn’t have a dedicated key, instead the move is bound to the game’s melee weapon that you have to switch to. and a unnecessary and weird saving system.

However, I think these flaws actually lend a sort of authenticity to the whole experience. Sorta like the fuzz of a vhs tape or the hiss of an old record.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Played through the first few levels of Phantom Fury. Kinda frustrated how stiff vaulting/ climbing is... Makes it hard to tell what vents you can get into what areas you can traverse .

Blowing MFs up with the bombs is really fun tho.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm about halfway through Phantom Fury and here are my thoughts so far:

Here's the thing, this type of game? It's 100% embedded into my DNA. Going on an adventure + shooting mans and monsters and collecting key items to progress? That's heaven to me (why yes, Resident Evil 4 and Village are in fact my favorite games in the entire series). So in terms of its presentation and general vibe, I really dig the poo poo out of PF.

That said, it's very clearly an unfinished game, but tragically not even by a whole lot. Another 6 months, even a year in the oven, and this would have been fucken stellar. There's just a handful of halfbaked concepts and not enough playtesting done to really make it a smooth enough experience to recommend, even though overall I'd say I've been having fun with it.

Good:

Guns feel great, fun to shoot, good sound and reload animations (except for the dual SMG reload. They just lower off the screen. WHACK.) It's 100% a standard FPS loadout but I'm a weirdo and I like that poo poo so it works for me. Plus, the loverboy, ion bow, and bowling bombs from Ion Fury are back. The triple barreled shotgun just deletes guys from existence.

I wish I understood what everyone's beef with the pixelated texture look is but I like it. I don't want every game to look that way but I think it's cute! Everything is colorful and readable.

Music whoops rear end (when it plays)

I like the addition of 'key items' used to progress. Access cards, keys, explosives, at one point you get a sort of industrial buzz saw to cut through some locked gates. That sort of stuff is cool. Adds to the adventure feel.

Mid:

Vehicle sections are inoffensive but also not particularly engaging. They do not last long at all however, so they get a shrug from me.

There's a gun that fires....freezing....gel....stuff?? It's utterly useless.

I would complain that it needs more enemy variety, but Half-Life 2 got away with it in my book so I'll be fair and say they should just refine the enemies that are already here.

Upgrade mechanics feel a little undercooked. Making the actual upgrades really distinct would help. The assault rifle should have got a regular underbarrel grenade launcher god drat it!

There's one area that completely lacks ambient SFX and it's really jarring! Also there's no sound effects when in water of any kind. Guess they ran out of time to implement.

Bad:

Level flow is fine 70% of the time. The other 30% can be infuriatingly unclear. Some more playtesting could smooth the progression out.

There's 3 enemies in the roster that are just terrible; a big hulking stomping mutant, a suicide bomber, and tiny explosive drones. The mutant's stomping attack does tons of damage and happens too frequently, the suicide bomber can zip right around a corner and gently caress you up too fast to react, and the drones are just a nuisance.

The story is incomprehensible. The main mcguffin of the plot is some device called the Demon Core but it's never introduced in any meaningful way. Shelly just asks a character "What can you tell me about the Demon Core?" before it's even introduced as a concept :psyduck:

Shelly's one liners seem like they ran out of time to record actual ones. They're so.....lame. I ended up turning them off in the options menu lol v:shobon:v

Despite all that, I really have a soft spot for this jank rear end thing. I do feel bad for the devs, they got colossally hosed over by atrocious mismanagement. Hopefully some more patches can get pushed out to smooth this thing down because I want it to be actually good.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 27, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kinda neat if the PF team nearly pulled it off after the whole demo fiasco. I've never seen people turn against throwback shooters so unanimously

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A console version of Phantom Fury has been announced as hitting PS5 and Xbox Series on May 30. Which… seems a bit ambitious, let’s just say.

In addition, the demo version of Selaco will be delisted from Steam around the end of the month, since it’s basically an outdated version of the start of the game and saves won’t cross over… don’t worry too much though, all of the demo versions will be shunted over to Archive.org for posterity’s sake.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll probably pick up Phantom Fury some time, hopefully they'll get to work on patches for it. Like ACAS I cut my teeth on that style of more linear FPS, and have played and enjoyed even middling mid 2000s ones.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kinda neat if the PF team nearly pulled it off after the whole demo fiasco. I've never seen people turn against throwback shooters so unanimously
It actually seems to have reviewed a lot better in the mainstream press than amongst the usual youtube suspects.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 27, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl i have been somewhat curious about it but i got sucked into fallout from the show, so maybe after i'm over that there will have been a patch or two

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The story is incomprehensible. The main mcguffin of the plot is some device called the Demon Core but it's never introduced in any meaningful way. Shelly just asks a character "What can you tell me about the Demon Core?" before it's even introduced as a concept :psyduck:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

the suicide bomber can zip right around a corner and gently caress you up too fast to react,
So in other words, true to the Duke3D that inspired it...

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Completely unrelated but plutonium might actually be evil.

Mordja posted:

So in other words, true to the Duke3D that inspired it...

Yes unfortunately! I hate it!!! I wonder if DNF 2001 was going to have those fuckin predator assholes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

demon core? secret stone?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I call my balls my "Demon Core"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If your balls are that radioactive you can call yourself Spider-Man

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I finally got The Darkness running on Xenia Canary :allears:
Doesn't run at a smooth 120 fps like Condemned 2 for me, but man both of these games have such great atmosphere. It's nice to finally play them again with decent clarity and frame rate.

https://streamable.com/58yelq
We need more retro shooters from the stencil shadow era

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I loved The Darkness, I was blown away by the fact that you could watch an entire film and music videos ingame. It was so good I didn't even mind aiming with an Xbox controller.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

szary posted:

I loved The Darkness, I was blown away by the fact that you could watch an entire film and music videos ingame. It was so good I didn't even mind aiming with an Xbox controller.

Yeah the aim acceleration is atrocious. I think back when I used to play it a lot, I set it to max acceleration and lowered the overall sensitivity. Still, doesn't feel all that good, but it's a great game otherwise. Love the reload mechanic of just picking up everyone's guns and tossing them when they're empty. Jackie's birthday gift of dual pistols lasted all of 15 seconds.
Shame it never made it to PC, the Starbreeze guys had a real nice engine

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm glad emulation is a thing, I was always disappointed that The Darkness never made it to PC. I liked 2, for some reason that got a PC release?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Darkness 2 was made during the era of 2K Games where everything they published had to have a big twist, and D2 was sort of part of that with the asylum stuff

but it was fine, i liked it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Darkness 2 was great for sure, I only ever did the demo for the first one. The comics (and Witchblade of course!) are fun too. But yeah I'd say Darkness 2 is one of the better media adaptations of a non-Marvel/DC comic, really captured a lot of the appeal of the world.

Now let's get Savage Dragon a game!

editor's note: yes I know it's no A History of Violence or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), but still it's a respectable showing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 28, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Darkness 2 was great for sure, I only ever did the demo for the first one. The comics (and Witchblade of course!) are fun too. But yeah I'd say Darkness 2 is one of the better media adaptations of a non-Marvel/DC comic, really captured a lot of the appeal of the world.

Now let's get Savage Dragon a game!

editor's note: yes I know it's no A History of Violence or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), but still it's a respectable showing.

I read Savage Dragon Issue #228 and now I've got mixed feelings about what kind of game this would be.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I read Savage Dragon Issue #228 and now I've got mixed feelings about what kind of game this would be.

I'm a longtime fin fan, I've read every issue, it's the only comic I still get in paper issue form. 269 and counting! Mickey Mouse (public domain via Steamboat Willy) was a villain recently. I don't recall what happened in 228, was it one of the sex scenes everybody talks about with the comedy jizz? I'm guessing it was one of those. (edit: yep) But I hope you really do read the run, it rules!

Savage Dragon's artist Erik Larsen did draw Duke once!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 28, 2024

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Didn't the Darkness 2 have an extremely narrow FOV due to it being a console port or am I thinking of a different 2000s shooter.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Didn't the Darkness 2 have an extremely narrow FOV due to it being a console port or am I thinking of a different 2000s shooter.

It did but they added an FoV slider in a patch.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIjbX1gj88

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

While I didn't love it, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 enough. I liked 1 while I was playing it, but I feel like 2 rendered it obsolete, for lack of a better term.

If I liked 2, would I like 3? Just to clarify, I find almost all of the humour just as bad or childish as the rest of you. I just love using ridiculous guns to kill huge enemies to get more ridiculous guns. Especially in co-op.

Edit: also, I never played the Pre-Sequel.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Please do not use a screwdriver on the Demon Core!

LOUIS NOOOO

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 28, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

60degree FOV + 27fps on the PS3 ftw

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I didn't love it, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 enough. I liked 1 while I was playing it, but I feel like 2 rendered it obsolete, for lack of a better term.

If I liked 2, would I like 3? Just to clarify, I find almost all of the humour just as bad or childish as the rest of you. I just love using ridiculous guns to kill huge enemies to get more ridiculous guns. Especially in co-op.

Edit: also, I never played the Pre-Sequel.

Borderlands 3 has very fun gameplay, the best of the series, but I can honestly say that the main story has some of the most godawful writing I've seen. It's purely "zoomer humor", with some very dumb story beats and the most unlikable new characters in the series. The DLCs remedy this somewhat - stay away from "Bounty of Blood" though, it's so. . . bland and soulless - but I never want to play through the main game again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

didn't someone figure out that if you delete certain package files in BL3 it mercifully just skips all the dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Recently someone suggested a weapon idea for my mod - a Demon Core in a gun-shaped lead casing that you "fire" by jiggling a screwdriver poking out the side. I'm probably going to do this, to be honest.

repiv posted:

didn't someone figure out that if you delete certain package files in BL3 it mercifully just skips all the dialogue
https://twitter.com/Googleygareth/status/1507383931485802514