Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I didn't love it, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 enough. I liked 1 while I was playing it, but I feel like 2 rendered it obsolete, for lack of a better term.

If I liked 2, would I like 3? Just to clarify, I find almost all of the humour just as bad or childish as the rest of you. I just love using ridiculous guns to kill huge enemies to get more ridiculous guns. Especially in co-op.

Edit: also, I never played the Pre-Sequel.

The TLDR is better gameplay, but worse story beats and dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What if Handsome Jack was two people and those two people were someone's idea of a hilarious send up of an influencer/cult leader?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Borderlands 3 is a real shame because the gameplay and mechanics are all huge steps forward but the writing is aggressively bad - and that's coming from someone that has gone on the record as liking Borderlands 2's writing and humor

Grimthwacker posted:

It's purely "zoomer humor", with some very dumb story beats and the most unlikable new characters in the series.

I would hesitate to even call it "zoomer humor", more like "boomers making fun of what they think zoomers like humor"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:elon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaybGfevu6c

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I didn't love it, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 enough. I liked 1 while I was playing it, but I feel like 2 rendered it obsolete, for lack of a better term.

If I liked 2, would I like 3? Just to clarify, I find almost all of the humour just as bad or childish as the rest of you. I just love using ridiculous guns to kill huge enemies to get more ridiculous guns. Especially in co-op.

Edit: also, I never played the Pre-Sequel.

Gonna chime in with everybody else and agree that BL3 is a great mechanical improvement over its predecessors while its story is somehow simultaneously dull and a trash fire.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Play the Pre-Sequel, I felt the jump packs were a fun addition and the added verticality really does a lot for the formula.

I honestly don't remember a drat thing about the writing though, it's been a minute.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

repiv posted:

didn't someone figure out that if you delete certain package files in BL3 it mercifully just skips all the dialogue

if you delete enough you can skip the whole game!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Deakul posted:

Play the Pre-Sequel, I felt the jump packs were a fun addition and the added verticality really does a lot for the formula.

I honestly don't remember a drat thing about the writing though, it's been a minute.

People really hate TPS for reasons. It's a little jank around the edges but I thought it stood out in a good way as someone who played too much of 1 and 2. The writing is messy but has its moments. The Claptrap DLC is actually pretty legit too, massively overtuned endboss aside...

DoombatINC posted:

Borderlands 3 is a real shame because the gameplay and mechanics are all huge steps forward but the writing is aggressively bad - and that's coming from someone that has gone on the record as liking Borderlands 2's writing and humor

I would hesitate to even call it "zoomer humor", more like "boomers making fun of what they think zoomers like humor"

As someone who also generally likes the writing in the games more than dislikes it, it worries me when other people in that boat say that no, 3 really is THAT bad. :ohdear:

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

John Murdoch posted:

As someone who also generally likes the writing in the games more than dislikes it, it worries me when other people in that boat say that no, 3 really is THAT bad. :ohdear:
I recently did a playthru and can confirm, the writing ahd characters are so awful I am unlikely to replay BL3, and I replay the other games yearly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuV_9XW8ymo

i appreciate how "can it run Doom" is being taken to new heights by zoomers

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

John Murdoch posted:

The worst part of it is that you can't skip any of it. 2 let you walk away from characters as they talked and you could do your own thing but 3 makes you stand there and listen to the stupid dialogue and then hit a button to confirm they're done talking.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Next game they're gonna quiz you after the dialogue to make sure you were paying attention

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

John Murdoch posted:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy some of the lines and cracked a laugh with my friends more then once, but that might have been the company that helped as we mercilessly made fun of the worse lines and were all "yeah... no that was actually good." for the better ones.
We weren't always talking over the game too, it had its moments where the three of us shut up and listened, so there's that.

Also I actually like the two dumb influencers as the antagonists. They're just so hateable. I know I'm being played by the game, but I like it. Plus there's some backstory here and there. Its ok.
I don't think they're as good as jack, but I also don't think chasing jack's thunder would have been a very good idea either. Their they're own brand of assholes in a universe full of them.

Rebranding the short people as tinks tho? Wow. That always felt so greasy. One of my buddies (para)phrased it thus; "its like its somehow more offensive while having less reason to be so". And I don't give a rat's arse they're short for Tinkerers.

Anyway I like TPS best when it comes to the writing, so obviously this entire post can be discarded. :colbert:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Next game they're gonna quiz you after the dialogue to make sure you were paying attention

By claptrap, who will get half the questions wrong anyway, and the entire thing will involve you sitting on a chair with explosives under it. That are duds. Wacky!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 29, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Thyrork posted:

Also I actually like the two dumb influencers as the antagonists. They're just so hateable. I know I'm being played by the game, but I like it. Plus there's some backstory here and there. Its ok.
I don't think they're as good as jack, but I also don't think chasing jack's thunder would have been a very good idea either. Their they're own brand of assholes in a universe full of them.

For as little as I know about the game in practice I do like the concept too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Brutal difficulty on ultrakill is very hard. I would not advise starting on it. I mean I've p ranked everything up to the first gabe fight which I think is gonna be a pain but I've also got a ton of hours in it already

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I actually remember liking the writing in BL3 a little better than BL2.

While BL2 has Handsome Jack and he's a wonderfully hateable douche, there's still a lot of really dull writing and exposition that is only performed in a cartoonish and jokey matter by annoying characters, like they had wrote a single good character and came up with some funny ideas in the beginning, and then bolted onto it a generic sci-fi script that they then punched up post-hoc and directed the VA to ad-lib some of their own performances with the direction of being "as annoying as possible." It also has a dramatic arc in the game that falls completely on it's face. It's the product of the writing team being led by someone who wrote early internet shorts and liked Judd Apatow movies.

BL3 has a lot more setup and payoff in it's humor, there are more premises in the game that are creatively funny, subversive, and serves to develop the characters in the world.

An example of this is the story beat where they introduce you a angsty teenage character, and a villain steals her diary and reads it over the comms device to humiliate her, and the diary is a trauma journal that's filled with pages about her family getting murdered and her village being destroyed, but the villain delivers the passages like a bully in a nick toons show humiliating a classmate. It's a subversive premise that pushes the development of this angsty teenager forward, showing you her motives and backstory in a black comedy sort of way that is conducive to the humor of the franchise that is done in a technically better way than anything you would see in BL1 and BL2.

But the issue is that all the characters and the performances feel a lot more juvenile, even if it was technically better written. There's no straight men or dull moments for the juvenile characters and humor to balance itself with, so you're completely immersed in a universe that is up past it's bedtime. It's the product of the writing team being led by the person who created Tiny Tina and filled with people who wrote for things like Skylanders.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 29, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, all of that valid critique and insightful observation goes right out the window when you're actually playing the game and being forced to put up with the execution.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Deakul posted:

Yeah, all of that valid critique and insightful observation goes right out the window when you're actually playing the game and being forced to put up with the execution.

There's also so many things that are just wretched - like without thinking especially hard Tannis took Angel's siren powers, somehow, and didn't tell anyone! Lilith has to suddenly self-sacrifice because people remembered when a main character from a previous game died in BL2! The First Vault Hunter isn't a big hunk after all but actually a borderline offensive "from New York" caricature! Did you meet the French monk? He like-aaa da wiiine, hon hon hon! - just every second there's a new thing that completely sucks, it doesn't matter if the rebar in the story's structure is sound when the drywall is rotted and the paint is dog puke

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Borderlands series sucks total rear end in a top hat and I will never forgive Gearbox for popularizing (or inventing?) the loathsome looter shooter genre.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Borderlands series sucks total rear end in a top hat and I will never forgive Gearbox for popularizing (or inventing?) the loathsome looter shooter genre.

:hai:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Alternatively, just go play Telltale's Borderlands. It somehow vibes on the same wavelength of the series' humor but is actually like... funny?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I've been playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, only because it was free on PS+.

It's..fine? I don't hate what they've done to fantasy-ify the guns. I'm still pretty early at least.

e: I take it back, I just found Claptrap

suuma fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 29, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoombatINC posted:

There's also so many things that are just wretched - like without thinking especially hard Tannis took Angel's siren powers, somehow, and didn't tell anyone! Lilith has to suddenly self-sacrifice because people remembered when a main character from a previous game died in BL2! The First Vault Hunter isn't a big hunk after all but actually a borderline offensive "from New York" caricature! Did you meet the French monk? He like-aaa da wiiine, hon hon hon! - just every second there's a new thing that completely sucks, it doesn't matter if the rebar in the story's structure is sound when the drywall is rotted and the paint is dog puke

That first spoiled bit almost sort of follows on from something established in 2, but looking it up on the wiki even there they're like :shrug: about why or how it actually happens so welp.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

suuma posted:

I've been playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, only because it was free on PS+.

It's..fine? I don't hate what they've done to fantasy-ify the guns. I'm still pretty early at least.

e: I take it back, I just found Claptrap

I just wish there was more variety with the guns rather than just crossbow pistol variation #31416472637526 or fireball cannon variation #542378649 and that the overworld wasn't the way that it is.(top down view and highly restricted map)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've never played a borderlands and I never will

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the tonal shift from bl1 to the later games is rough

flanderization is a real franchise bugaboo

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Narcissus1916 posted:

Alternatively, just go play Telltale's Borderlands. It somehow vibes on the same wavelength of the series' humor but is actually like... funny?

Tales from the Borderlands is the only borderlands game I've played, and it's legit just a really good time. Genuinely funny, has fun characters and a good story.

Now, New Tales, meanwhile, I've only heard very bad things about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've never played a borderlands and I never will

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hate the whole Diablo-style constantly upgrading to slightly better spec’d gear poo poo.

The bright spot with Borderlands printing money is that it’s kept Randy from loving with stuff I actually care about for a while.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Duke... bet on... I do. - Yoda

On Borderlands, beat 2 co-op with my brother, we also played like 60% of pt 1, and yeah that's enough Borderlands for me. It was fine as a co-op thingy.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Something like Halo is a better co-op shooter though. Borderlands is purely for people that had their brains broken by diablo and demand numbers go up. Which is fine, but it still makes me groan when someone asks to play it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've played them all asides from that Tiny Tina side game and was a massive Diablo (and other loot based arpg) pervert and I can honestly say, even though the slooter thing is supposed to be the series' selling point it also holds the game back so hard.
Partially it's my own fault, right? Because I'm a retro shooter player at heart, I want that beautiful Doom load out, I want a reliable toolkit. Instead though I need to swap in new guns every X levels to feel like I can keep dps up and it would always lead to using guns who's gimmick is annoying or missing an elemental advantage because suddenly I've no fire weapons for example.
And then to me that's when the game stops working quite as well, you get on the loot treadmill or you die over and over again to enemies that feel spongy because they outclass your weapons. So you start opening the 30 loot containers strewn over every location, hammering or holding E on everything hoping for more loot rolls, which then slows down your advancement through the game.

Game could have used some sort of upgrade mechanic... like most ARPGs. Slot gems or feed guns into your gun, keep it competitive if you like how it handles, keeps you looting guns but with a slightly different goal in mind.

3 remains the only one I've never completed, because after 4 very long games (and dlc) were I would just slightly fall behind level progression, hitting combat encounters just became tedious and I had better things to be doing.

Also Randy Pitchford is genuinely dodgy and keeps screwing people over and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Also also Jesus Christ is there anyone alive who actually enjoys Claptrap? I understand, to an extent, that I'm being trolled every time he speaks or is on screen, and it's good to have contempt for your audience, but I've had hundreds of hours spent with this character who is barely even one note. The best Claptrap stuff is the DLC spent in his brain, but he's a vein that's totally tapped out

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 30, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shoehead posted:

Also also Jesus Christ is there anyone alive who actually enjoys Claptrap?

I have to admit, the Borderlands humour kinda works for me, and I do like Claptrap. He's the worst! He's awful! I cackled like a loving loon when I played 2 with my friend and we did his birthday mission. I love that little bastard, I hope more awful poo poo happens to him.

I only played 2 to completion, and that was with a friend. I enjoyed it, but my biggest problem was that I was playing the mechromancer, and my first build was so wildly overpowered that my friend had to ask me to respec so she could actually get to shoot something, and then my next build had a problem where every... ten levels or so I'd have a run of five levels where I was just wildly underpowered and everything was a bulletsponge.

Oddly, for as much as I love Diablo 1, I'm actually not enamoured with the loot-heavy trend of its sequel and the games that try to do the same style, including the shlooters. I loving hate when you get so much loot that 99.9% of is loving trash you're just gonna sell. I hate loot filters! If you're giving so much loot that you need to filter out crap, you hosed up the design! I don't find taking 30 minutes to sort through all the crap only to find none of it is worthwhile to be particularly pleasant and seeing loot fountains gives me no pleasure since I know pretty much none of it is going to be worthwhile.

Anyways, just to add, gently caress Randy.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Every Claptrap line makes me feel like I am owed financial compensation from Randy personally.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

catlord posted:

Oddly, for as much as I love Diablo 1, I'm actually not enamoured with the loot-heavy trend of its sequel and the games that try to do the same style, including the shlooters. I loving hate when you get so much loot that 99.9% of is loving trash you're just gonna sell. I hate loot filters! If you're giving so much loot that you need to filter out crap, you hosed up the design! I don't find taking 30 minutes to sort through all the crap only to find none of it is worthwhile to be particularly pleasant and seeing loot fountains gives me no pleasure since I know pretty much none of it is going to be worthwhile.

Leveled loot sucks in any game or genre, the best parts of a game like Baldur's Gate II or Morrowind were when you found something well ahead of the power curve for your level, often after having to use all your ingenuity to defeat an encounter above said level.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A frequently forgotten thing is that aside from the (crappy) Robo Revolution DLC, Claptrap isn't even in the first game that much. All of his infamously grating hijinks were in the promotional videos.

But people hated him so they leaned into it for 2 and I think they mostly pull it off because they're self-aware about it. And again, he's not actually in that much of the game, though his presence is felt a lot more than in 1.

I'm not a big loot game fan myself, so that's not what brings me to Borderlands. I'm an open world freak instead. :v:

I do think even before 3 the shooting is marginally better than people give it credit for, but I don't blame them for not seeing it because the games are not well balanced. Loot can be very spotty, with the obvious problem that once you dip below the expected baseline you feel it. And, despite being touted as and ostensibly designed to be co-op experiences, the co-op scaling is just awful and magnifies all of the other problems.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Casimir Radon posted:

I hate the whole Diablo-style constantly upgrading to slightly better spec’d gear poo poo.

The bright spot with Borderlands printing money is that it’s kept Randy from loving with stuff I actually care about for a while.

It kept Randy so far from Colonial Marines that he handed it to another studio entirely

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

It kept Randy so far from Colonial Marines that he handed it to another studio entirely

While embezzling the development funds

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Angry_Ed posted:

And spending it at Medieval Times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

I heard he poured them all into a giant upturned magician's hat and when he turned it back over the money had disappeared!