Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

This video contains all you need to know about Nefaria's Reign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcnt8MAMMf0

I am so confused :psyduck:
"HE CERTAINLY IS DA SLOWEST IN ARM-OR. HIS MOR-TAR IS ACTUALLY REALLY STRONG."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChurlishToff
Oct 24, 2010

BRONY SPOTTED
EDIT: Fixed by looking at the readme, :downs:

ChurlishToff fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 26, 2011

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Goddammit, AEOD, I do NOT have a different set of AD5/ADS/Whatever it is you're bitching about, I'm playing vanilla AEOD!

Great, need to start over again. It looks better on Hurt Me Plenty, though. Seems to be made for that difficultly level.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 26, 2011

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Power Walrus posted:

I am so confused :psyduck:
"HE CERTAINLY IS DA SLOWEST IN ARM-OR. HIS MOR-TAR IS ACTUALLY REALLY STRONG."

Because I felt like it-ah, I'm preppin' lis-ah bates-ah.

This seems less like DN3D and more stats and inventory tetris. There are also far too many -ahs at the ends of that person's words.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

MrBims posted:

This video contains all you need to know about Nefaria's Reign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcnt8MAMMf0

Just play War of Attrition.

It's like I can hear how fat he is just through listening to his voice. :psyduck:

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

alejandro posted:

Sounds like Prime Target?

YES

thanks for this

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I've been playing System Shock recently, I've got a little way through but I'm a little disorientated by it, I've got the mouselook mod, which helps a bit but I don't really no what to "do" with it. I know to destroy cameras and all that, and I just did the first cyberspace bit (which was a ...weird experience); it's just I'm not really sure how to progress.

Does anyone have any general pointers about the game?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Your ultimate goal is to reach the bridge and shut down SHODAN. Everything else flows naturally from that; your sub-goals will become apparent because they're things blocking you from reaching or using the elevator to the next deck. Lansing's transmissions and the audio logs you find will give you clues as to what you need to do, as well (or tell you outright, in some cases). Usually, this involves foiling whatever plan SHODAN is working on at the moment.

If at any point you don't know what you should be doing, explore. Odds are it'll become obvious when you try to use the elevator, or you'll find a log or receive an email making things clear.

As for more general advice...
- for your first game, setting difficulty to 2 across the board is probably fine. Definitely don't turn Mission down below that, since doing so will remove parts of the plot. You can turn the others down safely if you like.
- 640x480 is the minimum resolution that looks good. 800x600 is the maximum resolution that reliably runs smoothly.
- In the settings, set logs to AUDIO AND TEXT. The text doesn't always match up to the voice, and if you're looking up an access code or something it's easier to skim the text.
- Click on any cybermod icon (or press the corresponding number key) to toggle it; right-click to access settings for that cybermod. You start with one preinstalled; left-click will enable fullscreen mode, right-click will let you customize the HUD. (You want to be in fullscreen mode. It makes it a lot easier to see what's going on.)
- Don't waste your magpulse ammo. It's your best weapon against bots and ammo doesn't become plentiful in deck 4.
- Nonlethal ammo is usually a waste of time.
- Read every log you find, and pay attention to emails from SHODAN and Lansing.
- Before picking up mines, examine them to make sure they aren't already armed.
- Most levels have a medical chamber; find the override switch for it and it becomes a respawn point.
- Recharge stations and the much rarer medical beds can be used as often as you like and will never run dry.
- Once you gain access to an area you can return to it at any time. A fair amount of backtracking is involved in the late game, often returning to areas that were inaccessible or extremely dangerous the first time around.
- Setting one of your MFDs to minimap mode is a good idea. As you upgrade your mapping implant, it will add features like camera detection and a high-res compass; upgrading your targeting implant will show enemies on the minimap.

I have played a shitload of System Shock; if you have any other questions, or any of this is unclear, feel free to ask.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 26, 2011

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Is there a way to change playerclass in AEoD without having to use the player setup menu in the options? Every time I use that it just resets to "random."

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Thompsons posted:

Is there a way to change playerclass in AEoD without having to use the player setup menu in the options? Every time I use that it just resets to "random."

Doesn't it give you an option to select it when starting a new game?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It prompts me to go to the game options to change it but it doesn't actually bring up a list for me to choose from.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

NovaPolice posted:

I would say War of Attrition does the same central gimmick (rpg stats and gear with modified/new enemies in the original Duke Nukem levels and new maps) more elegantly.

Nefaria's Reign is more interesting in the baffling trainwreck sort of way, where you have a party composed of Duke Nukem, Lo Wang, the Sailor Scouts, Bubsy the Bobcat, and the mod author's fanfiction characters shooting occasionally invincible monsters with loads of stats and buying several dozen power-ups, many of which work for only one character.

It is absolutely the strangest, most internet mod I've ever seen. It's like mainlining a deviantart account into an artery.

Not sure if I covered this in the previous thread, but since we're on fresh ground here I figure I'll step in out of the shadows and confirm that this is the product of a less-than-functional mind. I used to talk to the guy who's doing NR a lot back in the day, and looking back I am surprised that I never really caught on to how absolutely off the guy was. He also made EarthBound Doom, which was notoriously crap and was another weird hodgepodge mixed bag that even he ended up admitting was terrible.

For an idea, I am 22 and he is somewhere between 4-8 years older than me. Last I heard, he was STILL living with his parents. Not completely sure but I think his parents still actively tell him what he can and can't do--kinda got this vibe a couple times during some of our shadier dealings back in the day. If that is the case, it's not really that out of line though considering he's kinda still mentally a kid. The thing about the fan fiction characters is absolutely true, and the thing is that he hasn't moved out of his obsession with his fanfics in the nearly ten years I've known him. He's barely changed at all, in fact.

This is a dude, by the way, who is making this mod that seems to be majority female characters. He's one of those guys; more comfortable writing female characters. I'm not sure if she's in it, but his Sandra Polestar character has literally assloads of backstory that he spent years and years developing. Even when I was also into fan fiction and enjoyed talking to the guy I still couldn't be assed to wade through the poo poo because it was basically page upon page of word salad about a character that essentially boiled down to a tabletop RPG character in terms of use.

We went down a pretty strange path at one point and it was after this whole sordid affair that cost me $200 or so in saved lunch money at age 15 or so that I kind of started cooling off on the whole thing. It wasn't long before I really started to realize how weird the guy was and, by extent, how weird parts of my own life were becoming. By the time I was getting out of high school I basically lost contact with the guy, but I accidentally initiated conversation with him on AIM trying to send a link to myself a year or two ago and it was literally like talking to the same dude I did back in 2002.

I could probably dredge up a whole treasure trove of the dude's weirdness, but this probably isn't the place for it. Didn't mean to get all Helldump here, but I figured it would kind of explain things to bring it up.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Back in Duke3d land, I'm about ready to give up on WGR2. Even playing on the easiest difficulty doesn't help, because the problem isn't how fast I die; it's the fact that the game keeps throwing bullet-sink enemies at me that I simply do not have enough ammunition to kill, and when it does this in the first room of the loving level I can't even use POW to deal with them.
I had/have the exact opposite problem. The enemies go down fast enough (except that goddamn ice level boss, gently caress that thing), but so do I when one shotgunner seems to be able to kill me from full health in a couple of shots. And those flying exploding skulls... Still, this mod does have the most satisfying weapons/gibs I've seen in a long long time.

Punch Rockgroin
Jun 14, 2011

by Ralp
I haven't seen any mention of Dark Forces in this thread. Although it lacked a multiplayer mode, I have very fond memories of this one. The level design felt really ahead of its time, with multiple layered floors and the abilities to duck and jump. It's also the first FPS I remember that had alternative firing modes for most weapons.

Another great LucasArts FPS from that time that never really caught on is Outlaws. It was set in the Wild West and sported cartoony graphics and an awesome orchestral soundtrack. I suspect the lack of success was due to the use of whacky graphics instead of limbs flying everywhere, which was a shame because the multiplayer mode was one of the best I've ever played. You could choose one of six characters, each with their own advantages and disadvantages and there were a ton of user created maps despite the relatively small base.

fakeedit: Just saw that the OP mentioned Dark Forces. I didn't even know there was a sequel.

Punch Rockgroin fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 26, 2011

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

New official version of Brutal doom popped up.
http://www.4shared.com/file/bO0zvYUB/brutaldoomv010.html (skulltag)
http://www.4shared.com/file/Mx0W8Cuf/brutalgzdoomv010.html (gzdoom)

Lots of nice changes, including barrel throwing!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flannelette posted:

New official version of Brutal doom popped up.
http://www.4shared.com/file/bO0zvYUB/brutaldoomv010.html (skulltag)
http://www.4shared.com/file/Mx0W8Cuf/brutalgzdoomv010.html (gzdoom)

Lots of nice changes, including barrel throwing!

I've been playing this for a couple of days now and I can vouch 100% for it being KICKASS AWESOME!

Everything is pretty well put together and the animations are nice, not quite on par with Beautiful Doom, but all the other features make up for it.

Remember to bind keys to taunt, kick and reload. You'll need them. Plus, even with a fully loaded shotgun, you can still hit the reload button and be a total badass before flipping off a bunch of rear end-ugly hellspawn and blasting their heads off in a shower of gore :clint:

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Punch Rockgroin posted:

fakeedit: Just saw that the OP mentioned Dark Forces. I didn't even know there was a sequel.

It has three sequels, but you would never know because they have the least consistent naming scheme since Rambo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Jedi_Knight_(series)

If you're a Dark Forces fan, and you haven't played Dark Forces II yet, oh MAN are you in for a treat. Dark Forces was great, but the next in the series takes it to a whole other level.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

*stuff*
I've spoken to him myself a few times since I'm working on a TC for Duke that also has multi-characters and everything you said here is pretty much 100% accurate. It's kinda scary really.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Hammsturabi posted:

It has three sequels, but you would never know because they have the least consistent naming scheme since Rambo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Jedi_Knight_(series)

It's disappointing that the last game is not officially named Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy. That would be a rad name. SWDF4JK3JO2JA.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Posting from a phone, so I can't do them justice, but I wanted to give a shout-out to the Terminator games, Future Shock and Skynet. Pretty ahead of their time, tech-wise. Skynet was kind of like the granddaddy of Codename Eagle/Battlefield.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cray posted:

It's disappointing that the last game is not officially named Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy. That would be a rad name. SWDF4JK3JO2JA.

It may not say that on the box, but it will always be named that in my heart.

I had a lot of trouble getting into Jedi Knight, largely because of the janky lightsaber handling, but Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are both fun on a bun. Especially once you enable lightsaber dismemberment and duels become stylishly brutal one-hit-kill affairs.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
JO & JA are kind of off-topic for this thread but they are indeed fantastic games, so much better than that Force Unleashed nonsense. Online duels were also amazingly tense.

The whole series is on Steam, I rebought them recently when they were on sale.

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
Good LORD, Brutal DooM lives up to it's name! Fun fact, It works really, really well in skulltag's Invasion mode. Skulltag froze before I beat the Abandoned Fortress map, just do to the sheer amount of poo poo around, literally no part of the floor was clean. Fair warning, It's incredibly resource intensive so I'm probably going to stick with reDooM.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The only problems I had with brutal doom seem to be it crashing sometimes when doing fatalities. Using osx skulltag.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm using GZDoom and BrutalDoom works perfectly. Maybe Skulltag is loving it up.

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
In my case, there was just to much and my PC couldn't keep up. Using Windows if it matters.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.
I picked up SW: Dark Forces for the Mac at a Goodwill although I do not have a Mac. Am I correct in believing theres no real great emulation setup for old Mac (OS7) compared to DOSBox for DOS. I tried SheepShaver but it seemed iffy and I could not really get anything to run, although I may have configured stuff incorrectly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sheepshaver is really the closest thing, but it's not nearly as easy to use as Dosbox - you have to actually get install disk images for MacOS and install them on it. It emulates a blank Macintosh computer, not an OS. It's also, IME, not as fast as dosbox.

In general, if there are both MacOS and DOS versions of a game available, you'll have a much easier time with the DOS version; is there a reason you didn't just pick it up on Steam?

Alternately, you could wait for the XL Engine to be finished and then play it in that, if it'll load the Mac resources.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.

ToxicFrog posted:

Sheepshaver is really the closest thing, but it's not nearly as easy to use as Dosbox - you have to actually get install disk images for MacOS and install them on it. It emulates a blank Macintosh computer, not an OS. It's also, IME, not as fast as dosbox.

In general, if there are both MacOS and DOS versions of a game available, you'll have a much easier time with the DOS version; is there a reason you didn't just pick it up on Steam?

Alternately, you could wait for the XL Engine to be finished and then play it in that, if it'll load the Mac resources.
Well I mean it was 2.5$ complete in (big) box so I picked it up for the novelty and thought it would be fun trying to get it to run. I'll try SheepShaver again sometime and if that doesn't work out I will try out DarkXL.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I just set up Eduke for the first time and I was wondering what you all would suggest I do to make just the normal atomic edition of duke 3d as baller as possible?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gooch181 posted:

I just set up Eduke for the first time and I was wondering what you all would suggest I do to make just the normal atomic edition of duke 3d as baller as possible?

The High Resolution Pack should do the trick.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I'm not sure if anybody would be interested in this, but I spent the last week making a weapons pack for Doom 2/Skulltag in the spirit of AEoD:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQG2ECXA

It features a huge variety of weapons, random weapon spawners, a couple NPCs thrown in for flavor (that drop backpacks), and a fully-working Shrinker from Duke Nukem 3D. It should work fine on any map, although I can't promise that the gameplay will be that balanced since I haven't gotten the opportunity to playtest it much. Bots seem to handle it just fine, though, and they can be reasonably tough.

Since I really only meant to play it at LAN parties with my friends, I didn't bother to keep track of who made what weapon or anything so I admit everything is shamelessly ripped off from AEoD, Realm 667, and other wads posted around the internet.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Oh man, this thread is great. I spent so many hours of my youth playing these games. I still try to play Blood every Halloween.

Punch Rockgroin posted:

Another great LucasArts FPS from that time that never really caught on is Outlaws. It was set in the Wild West and sported cartoony graphics and an awesome orchestral soundtrack. I suspect the lack of success was due to the use of whacky graphics instead of limbs flying everywhere, which was a shame because the multiplayer mode was one of the best I've ever played. You could choose one of six characters, each with their own advantages and disadvantages and there were a ton of user created maps despite the relatively small base
Came in here to mention Outlaws. Loved that game, and it's a pity that it didn't become more popular. I think the issue was that Outlaws came out at the tail end of the 2.5D era, so it was hurt by the likes of Quake and Quake II. IIRC, it was one of the first games with a reloading system and the ability to look down the scope on the sniper rifle.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Here's a project that's just been released for Duke that's really cool:

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/4468-the-wall/

It's basically 'The Wall' told ingame via gameplay sequences and cutscenes. I played it yesterday and thought it was pretty great. If you're a fan of Pink Floyd and have Duke as well than I'd recommend giving it a try.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

0 rows returned posted:

I've wanted to play the Marathon trilogy for a long time and while I made it through marathon 1 via aleph one, it gave me the worst loving headache from playing the game. I don't know if its from the way it shears the y axis when you mouselook or what but it put me off playing the rest of the series.

Marathon in genreal runs with a really narrow field of view. Combine that with the maze like corridors of M1, and it can be very difficult to play in a modern era.

If you have even the slightest interest in the series, try the 2nd game on the Xbox. We put in a modern field of view option (but kept the original for purists). It makes it much easier to see. Combine with way better controls, better up/down looking (since ours is a true 3D engine) and ability to toggle controls and options (in game!).

Then if you are still not interested in the series, you've at-least played the best version of the game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been thinking about playing some classic Q1 multiplayer, and it seems my best options are bots. Most of the bots I've seen seem like a good challenge for someone that's only been playing Quake in SP mode for the past 6 or so years. Regular Quake netgames has all sorts of weird mods and poo poo, while Quakeworld's "population" consists of a small group of Europeans criclejerking each other that have played QW nonstop for 12 years with the occasional USA Custom/MegaTF game. Am I pretty much right?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There's Deathmatch Classic, which is basically a port of Q1DM to the Half-Life engine, maps included - but I don't know what the community is like these days.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

There's Deathmatch Classic, which is basically a port of Q1DM to the Half-Life engine, maps included - but I don't know what the community is like these days.

I played it about two years back, and pretty much every "player" was a lovely bot that can only run in a straight line and fire, kinda like the ones you see in TFC these days.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
OP did an amazing job. GOG here I come, mods here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
DMC is actually fun when you can find the uncommon full server.