Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just finished my first Doom 4 playthrough. Very happy with this one. Decently long, challenging and fun. Enemy variety stops improving after the halfway point with the exception of two buffed reskin enemies, but there are three bosses in the latter half and they're genuinely good. Definitely got some Metroid Prime vibes from them.

On difficulty:
I played on Ultra-Violence and I'm fairly sure it increases the number of enemies. I saw someone streaming the first Hell level and the intro to Barons Of Hell features a fight against one, some fodder, then another baron. I got two waves of two barons, if I remember right.

I just had a peek at Nightmare mode. Anyone able to verify my initial observations;
A: Possibly more enemies than UV
B: Enemies hit even harder
C: Enemy specials get some new tricks - I got killed twice already by zombie grunts that fired a double-charged shot, which I never saw on UV. One charge cycle, two big shots.

Didn't think Id could pull this one off. So glad that they did.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Zaphod42 posted:

BethSoft is stupid but they're not quite that stupid. Although, I'd much prefer DO4M to having it just called "Doom". I really, really hate re-boots re-using the same original name. Just makes it a pain in the rear end to refer to the original, or google for one or the other in particular.

Add to this the fact that a lot of people (on YT at least) call the new one "the real Doom" and it sounds to me a little like ignoring the 20+ years of legacy of the original games.

I probably won't play the DO4M in next few years (my 8 year old PC won't run TNO, even), but I'm happy the final game is not a pile of shame to rival DNF. Hope there will be ongoing support for MP and SnapMap. The only thing I really, really don't like still is the visual style, way too similar to Doom 3's "chromepunk" with hints of chocolate brown and fiery reds and oranges.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

laserghost posted:

I probably won't play the DO4M in next few years (my 8 year old PC won't run TNO, even), but I'm happy the final game is not a pile of shame to rival DNF. Hope there will be ongoing support for MP and SnapMap. The only thing I really, really don't like still is the visual style, way too similar to Doom 3's "chromepunk" with hints of chocolate brown and fiery reds and oranges.

It looks really good in motion though. I'd say it's probably the best looking game I've played on my current setup, mainly in terms of how well everything gels together. I was pretty doubtful given how wonky Rage and Wolf: TNO were but the new engine really works well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

laserghost posted:

The only thing I really, really don't like still is the visual style, way too similar to Doom 3's "chromepunk" with hints of chocolate brown and fiery reds and oranges.

I agree and disagree. I think it works okay considered in a vacuum, but considering that it's been the default (and pretty much only) "human" architecture for two Doom games straight, I would really like some variety. The screenshots and videos of the "Call of Doomty" version of Doom 4 are the sort of settings I'd really like to see in the next Doom game, assuming of course that the actual gameplay and flow are like DO4M's.

Alternatively, it would be really fun to see what happens with the UAC style of architecture after it gets pulled into Hell and left to stew for eons, the way some of the Hell architecture is implied to have originated from mortal worlds. This could happen if, for instance, Doomguy ends up trapped in hell for a long time after Hayden tethers him away in the ending cutscene, rather than the expansion or next game taking place immediately after DO4M's ending.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
With all of this talk about DOOM, don't forget that The Trailblazer v1.3 was released today!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

With all of this talk about DOOM, don't forget that The Trailblazer v1.3 was released today!

At the rate we're going, 2016 may well be the single most active year for classic Doom mapping & modding. I think the previous highest was either 2010 or 2011.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Has anyone done some UV-Max attempts on rf1024 yet? It seems like a mapset that would lend itself really well to speedrunning.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God drat map 16 is loving murder :argh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Trailblazer 1.3 is really fun. :coffeepal:

I need to find a good set of maps for it, though.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Is it just me or are lost souls much more aggressive and vicious in Project Brutality? I beat Ultimate Doom and in D2 now, on the Refueling Base and I wince every time I see just a "regular" pain elemental. Still a lot of fun.

I think after D2 with brutality I'm going to go through Doom 64 and then maybe Heretic or Hexen. Are there any must have addons for the latter?

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 15, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Guillermus posted:

Posting here because the official "DOOM" thread is garbage. How the hell do you double jump in the campaign? I'm in like the third or fourth mission and still can't do it and there's a secret that requires it.

Don't worry about that, just keep going. The boots are mandatory and placed just before a part where it's impossible to proceed further without them.

And yeah, Doom 2016 will forever be known as that one game that loving surprised everyone with how good it is. I'm so happy for everyone at id Software.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mak0rz posted:

God drat map 16 is loving murder :argh:

The fact that Doomguy automatically switches to any new weapon he picks up killed me more times on that map than I can count. Thankfully, the levels get a bit easier from that point onwards. At least until you reach map 22.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Watching that video and playing the new Doom makes me want a Quake reboot, but in the style of the original with the Gothic atmosphere and weird creepy monsters. I only played a little Quake II, so the Strogg stuff means nothing to me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

Watching that video and playing the new Doom makes me want a Quake reboot, but in the style of the original with the Gothic atmosphere and weird creepy monsters. I only played a little Quake II, so the Strogg stuff means nothing to me.

It's not a reboot, but anyone wanting more Quake absolutely needs to check out Arcane Dimensions (ideally with the weapon skin pack), you should. It's a huge modern expansion for Quake. Lots of new weapons, enemy types & environments.

New version coming soon with even more levels & enemies. Seems a bunch of the best Quake mappers are also doing 'remixed' versions of their best maps with new AD content for this build. I think it may be launching on Quake's 20th anniversary.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

The fact that Doomguy automatically switches to any new weapon he picks up killed me more times on that map than I can count. Thankfully, the levels get a bit easier from that point onwards. At least until you reach map 22.

Yeah I can make it significantly farther after turning off weapon switching but man those loving pain elementals...

Doesn't help that I'm real stubborn about playing Doom without y-looking in this ridiculously vertical level I guess :negative:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Apogee Throwback Pack (ROTT and both Blake Stone games) is $2.50 for the next 36 hours or so.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I can make it significantly farther after turning off weapon switching but man those loving pain elementals...

Doesn't help that I'm real stubborn about playing Doom without y-looking in this ridiculously vertical level I guess :negative:

Yeah that level is rough as hell if you're not using freelook.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So is the codex in Doom 4 kind of funky for anyone else? I can't seem to scroll up or down on any of the entries and mouse clicking is a little hit or miss.

Not that I need to read in Doom that much, but it's a little annoying.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rather Dashing posted:

So is the codex in Doom 4 kind of funky for anyone else? I can't seem to scroll up or down on any of the entries and mouse clicking is a little hit or miss.

Not that I need to read in Doom that much, but it's a little annoying.

Yeah it's really inconsistent. For example, I couldn't scroll down to view the second paragraph of the article on the basic zombie enemy one day, and I could the next.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Clicking and dragging the scroll bar has always worked for me, whereas the arrow keys and scroll wheel do nothing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Clicking and dragging the scroll bar has always worked for me, whereas the arrow keys and scroll wheel do nothing.

The weird thing was, with the aforementioned article, the entire scroll bar was a solid color and wouldn't move up or down because it perceived that there was no "room" for it to move. Very sinister stuff, especially since the last visible line of the article was something like, "the most interesting behavior about them is..."

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The weird thing was, with the aforementioned article, the entire scroll bar was a solid color and wouldn't move up or down because it perceived that there was no "room" for it to move. Very sinister stuff, especially since the last visible line of the article was something like, "the most interesting behavior about them is..."

Yep, that's what I get. Going back to it, this seems to happen when the entry has just been unlocked. If I close the codex and return to it, I can scroll.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GI_Clutch posted:

Yeah, I'm really hoping the next id game will be a proper eldritch horror style Quake game. We've had more than enough sci-fi and stroggs, we need dimensional shamblers and nail guns, and that drat chain lightning gun we were promised. Imagine how awesome it would look with modern graphics.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I'm really hoping the next id game will be a proper eldritch horror style Quake game. We've had more than enough sci-fi and stroggs, we need dimensional shamblers and nail guns, and that drat chain lightning gun we were promised. Imagine how awesome it would look with modern graphics.

A modern sequel to Quake 1 would be a loving miracle. God, that would be great. Especially because Quake had even less plot than Doom, so I think they could really go balls-to-the-wall with the insanity since it can just be eldritch horrors with no plot backing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
quake 5 would be designed with consoles in mind, would not have an insane movement game because you can't track a dude screaming at 100mph, nor can you track anything going 100mph yourself, on an analog stick, and therefore would be pointless in it's existence.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Pomp posted:

quake 5 would be designed with consoles in mind, would not have an insane movement game because you can't track a dude screaming at 100mph, nor can you track anything going 100mph yourself, on an analog stick, and therefore would be pointless in it's existence.

I dunno -- Doom 4 is pretty much exactly what you just described and it's a loving revelation. And doom was always faster than quake anyway.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pathos posted:

And doom was always faster than quake anyway.

I'm not so sure about that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pathos posted:

A modern sequel to Quake 1 would be a loving miracle. God, that would be great. Especially because Quake had even less plot than Doom, so I think they could really go balls-to-the-wall with the insanity since it can just be eldritch horrors with no plot backing.

I can't remember if it was here or on another site, but someone had a brilliant idea, where it starts off as seemingly another Quake 2 sequel, but after a couple missions, some dimensional crap happens, and Quake 1 enemies start appearing and slaughter most of the Strogg and Human forces on the world it's on, leading to the handful of survivors of both factions having to work together to beat back Shub-Niggurath/Quake's armies before they can spread to the rest of the universe

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I can't remember if it was here or on another site, but someone had a brilliant idea, where it starts off as seemingly another Quake 2 sequel, but after a couple missions, some dimensional crap happens, and Quake 1 enemies start appearing and slaughter most of the Strogg and Human forces on the world it's on, leading to the handful of survivors of both factions having to work together to beat back Shub-Niggurath/Quake's armies before they can spread to the rest of the universe

That sounds awful tbh.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

drrockso20 posted:

Drop the "enemy of my enemy" part, drop the player right into the rift being torn open so we have Quake and Strogg right away and just have it be a three way brawl that the humans exploit to the fullest. :getin:

Bonus points if the Strogg try working with us and we beat them to the betrayal because we're not 'effin stupid.

Oh, and nick that one goons idea for doom 4 where the leader of Quake's forces turns out to be the Ranger (of quake 1) who got to keep what it killed at the end. :cthulhu:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 15, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I figure that a Quake 5 would basically be Quake 3-2 and follow a similar model as the new Unreal Tournament being free to play but with some cosmetic stuff you pay for and the community can build much of the game with custom maps, using something similar to snapmap from Doom 4 but heavily expanded. I've always seen Doom as more single player focused and Quake in all of its incarnations as more multiplayer focused and the single player games of Quake campaigns were just kind of whatever, consisting of an excuse plot about killing Lovecraftian beings, busywork and shooting cyborgs, killing bots and then an awkward attempt at making a plot out of busywork and shooting cyborgs.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Fortitude posted:

single player games of Quake campaigns were just kind of whatever, consisting of an excuse plot about killing Lovecraftian beings, busywork and shooting cyborgs, killing bots and then an awkward attempt at making a plot out of busywork and shooting cyborgs.

I agree that Multiplayer is where Quake's identity and strength lies but disagree that Quake's single player is without merit. Quake 1 is a uniquely dark experience that should have been more, but we got something good regardless. Quake 4 is a solid attempt at a plot and characters that's just thin in places, made up by one very iconic and memorable sequence.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Quake 1's single player is really great, despite it's obviously haphazard development.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

closeted republican posted:

Quake 1's single player is really great, despite it's obviously haphazard development.

I disagree, I think the haphazard development actually worked in favor for Quakes unique feel.

It doesn't make much sense but that's a good thing, the world is all over the place yet strangely consistent.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I figure that a Quake 5 would basically be Quake 3-2 and follow a similar model as the new Unreal Tournament being free to play but with some cosmetic stuff you pay for and the community can build much of the game with custom maps, using something similar to snapmap from Doom 4 but heavily expanded. I've always seen Doom as more single player focused and Quake in all of its incarnations as more multiplayer focused and the single player games of Quake campaigns were just kind of whatever, consisting of an excuse plot about killing Lovecraftian beings, busywork and shooting cyborgs, killing bots and then an awkward attempt at making a plot out of busywork and shooting cyborgs.

UT4 is good but they're basically asking people to make the game for them for free so it's not going to go anywhere at all and will never likely never build up a playerbase.

Just stick the Reflex guys on Quake 5 MP duty with art help from id and let me go real fast all the time.

Pathos posted:

I dunno -- Doom 4 is pretty much exactly what you just described and it's a loving revelation. And doom was always faster than quake anyway.

It's fun, and good, but it's still significantly less mobile than Quake has ever been capable of. They're two very different games, but Quake without the movement game is just a reskinned doom.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tackling a new sequel to Quake 1 would be a fun project for something they could put out based on this engine, and even some of the under the hood DOOM stuff to save time. But, I'd also be open to a new IP, even though Rage was just okay. Just a new IP in the fast-paced FPS category.

What's interesting is the style/feel of Quake, a serious nihilistic grim action game with Clive Barker looking monsters, we've seen a lot of games with that sort of influence in it's style. In some ways it wouldn't be that unique now. Though nothing with the great crazy maze of death FPS level design of Quake. I'd rather see more of that latter than the former actually. Maybe with a whole new aesthetic and tone. Lots of possibilities for a cool new id franchise. But I wouldn't kick a new Quake out of bed.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 15, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I disagree, I think the haphazard development actually worked in favor for Quakes unique feel.

It doesn't make much sense but that's a good thing, the world is all over the place yet strangely consistent.

Definitely, I think the word is idiosyncratic

I love Quake, some good graphics mods for it, the death match is great and so so fast

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Even though Wolfenstein and Doom both received fantastic revivals, let's not go nuts. Doom already occupies the space marine shooter slot for id's output. I remember playing Quake 4 and thinking how pointless it was as it was too much like Doom 3 and could've passed for an expansion instead. Doom 2016 is already very close to the gameplay concept of Quake 1 & 2. Quake 5 would be one of the most unnecessary games in a while. I think really the only justification for Quake 5's existence is if id wants to make a multiplayer-focused shooter again, in the vein of Quake 3.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
PC Zone - August 1997

News & Previews

I'd love to have seen what The Dark Project played like in the early stages.

Daikatana Diary

Last thing I heard of Dr. Sleep was something about him running from the IRS, anyone know any more about that?

Reviews

Random Ads

This one was a bastard to scan.

"Bob, any thoughts on this Shrak ad?"
"How about a giant bug?"
"A bug?"
"Well that or another horse pic, I dunno"

:pcgaming: The INTERNET :pcgaming:

Cartoon

Other bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of magazine ads, this miracle of mid-90s graphic design crossed my dashboard today:

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 15, 2016