Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Looks pretty good! - if you haven't already got any plans for the 3rd shot with the lava pillars I'd maybe add some trimming to the concrete grey walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

What kind of trim would you suggest? I agree the room's kind of bare but I can't really think of what I should do with it. Keep in mind that those lava pillars are polyobjects moving back and forth across the floor.
Well if they're moving than I'd probably make little wall inserts in the grey brick ones up the top, either a row of little lights or some fake windows? Just a way to break up the walls without having things sticking out that the player could get caught on. That way they're not in the player's way as they're dodging the lava pillars and they're high up enough to at least be noticed by the player.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I want to like Weasel's mods more but they always seem to give tiny amounts of ammo and only really seemed designed to be played against the weaker enemy types like Zombies and imps. As soon as Barons start entering the picture followed by Revenants and Mancubuses you simply don't get enough ammunition to deal with them.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

caldrax posted:

Hey I scanned the first 20 pages of this thread looking for Unreal Tournament references and then decided to skip to the end...

Anyone remember Cliffy B's "this map owns?" Well, I used to do custom mapping and I had a couple maps land on his coveted page. I still have them packed away in my little Mac UT folder, so I figured I'd share them in this thread, if anyone wants a couple new UT maps to play:

http://maurydegeofroy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ruineR-UT-Maps.zip
Cool stuff! You mean Cliffy B's ownage right? Man I remember those sites, gamespy is terrible now and has been for a long time but I remember when there was a reason to check PlanetUnreal and PlanetQuake (PlanetDuke was just nothing compared to Dukeworld. Over 10 years since it disapeared and I still miss that loving site)

quote:

Finished Red Faction 1. Overall: it's ok.

The big issue is that the geomod feature that was its main claim to fame back in the day is terribly underused. The enclosed nature of the levels means that it's hard to tell when and where it would be useful to blast holes, except in certain set-pieces that you're clearly meant to destroy; on top of that, most terrain is indestructable anyways.
Yeah. It was used like once or twice and then the rest was generic stuff. To it's credit, you can't really blow up a bridge to either stop an APC or make it fall to it's doom more than once without that feeling old as well.

Actually that's a lie, I'd still take that over the poo poo we get nowadays.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I'm fairly certain that Matt Saetler said he had a full version but could not release it due to legal red-tape with the game's rights and everything.

Anyway all I can see to this news is where do I put my money?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Death Wish for Blood is loving incredible; it's pretty brutal but the level design just makes my headspin - I'm saying that as someone who's used build for over 10 years now. The author's work just made me feel ashamed of what I've churned out.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

That entire argument is 100% prime certified bullshit. If you honestly believe that Doom should only be played as iD originally intended, why are you even playing new levels at all?

It just reeks of insecurity. It's okay to just say that you don't like it, or that it doesn't combine well with your favourite levels, but to argue that it's somehow a mod too far? Pull the other one - it's got bells on.
As a mod author myself, while I do agree that people should play things how they want to, I think it's a common courtesy to at least try and play it once through as the author made it, if you can. There's a similar issue in the Duke community; there's a HUGE difference in playing Classic mode and playing with the HRP; things that look great in one look terrible in the other (I'm no purist, but at the same time I think 2D FPS should stay 2D since your mind fills in the gaps when it comes to the creature's movement; with 3D models you don't get that so you kind of remember that the AI is pretty dumb) Somebody reviewed my level and used the HRP even though I said it wasn't designed with it in mind in the readme file; I still got a good review but I felt a bit frustrated that it was being reviewed with something that I felt seriously changed the map's aesthetics in a negative way.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I really enjoyed Heretic, but I feel it's quite a stretch to call Hexen "fun".
Was it ever playable in co-op (originally without ports) I could imagine it being fun there but yeah playing it in SP was tedius as hell. Having only 4 weapons was a really bad idea (giving them an alt-fire might of helped) It's a shame since the later levels were pretty well done and atmospheric.

Having said that, I thought Hexen 2 was a lot more fun than the first one.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Kins posted:

Duke Nukem 3D turned 17 today.

I don't have anything interesting to share about that, though. :( Maybe Jblade or TerminX do, if they're still floating around?
I don't either sadly! But it's been a loving long time and there's still new maps being released so check those out at MSDN if you're a Duke fan. Last I heard multiplayer support is being worked on which is great news. I haven't heard a single peep about WGR2 but there's still activity in the private forums for it at Duke4 so it's still out there somewhere. I took a bit of a hiatus myself after releasing episode 1 of the AMC TC, right now I'm waiting for the multiplayer to be fixed more because it's loving awesome in co-op. I have a shitload of ideas for Episode 2 (and I know ideas are like assholes) but for the few people here who played it and liked it I've taken some of the suggestions I saw onboard (Like heading back to base after every mission so you can check out new research and stuff) as well as coded in a GUI inspired by X-com. For Duke maps though, pretty much all of the stuff we see released is great quality since the only people left are the diehards. Don't touch any maps by Paul B though as he's a homophobic shithead (But thankfully the Duke community's actually pretty free from the ego-maniacs I've seen in most other mod communities)

Oh and of course the best mod ever, Naferia's reign, has finally updated too. I think I know you're only playing WGR2 to fill the void in your life before it's finished.

Long live Duke though! Not so much DNF though, which has been brushed quietly under the rug.

Also Lameduke! Very interesting stuff - if you checked out the levels you'll see that the Derelict from E4 was actually in Lameduke, it's an old map. I didn't follow the drama that well but apparently Levelord DID make levels for Episode 4, but George B didn't put his name in the credits for some reason and hosed around with the levels. drat, what is Levelord up to actually? I knew he was at Ritual until they got bought and started to make Casual games. A shame since SiN was pretty great. I rememeber reading a long time ago about a publicity event being hosted by GOD games, and Levellord was cooking and serving up burgers at a BBQ there. I would of loved to of been there heh.

Anyways Lameduke kind of stunk and it's amazing that we got Duke3D from that. Pretty much the same thing that happened to Half-life actually. It's just such a huge shame that 3DR didn't get DNF out in 2001.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 29, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yup.

Wait, "and it's coming to N64"? What were Next smoking?
Heh, I just love the 'PC CD-ROM' part of the magazine's title. Just hearing that word throws up a fuckton of Nostalgia, back when games had multiple discs and all PCs sounded like Jets taking off when you put a CD-ROM in :allears:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I worked on the PSX port and it supported the PS Mouse out of the box. It played up to four playedrs split/screen, and was sharp enough that that mode was actually really playable without confusion.
That's pretty drat cool, you seriously pulled some pretty impressive voodoo to get that running on a PSX (Compared to the Duke Nukem port, which had a great soundtrack but terrible framerates at times) Reminds me of an article I read about Crash Bandicoot, since those games looked really amazing for PSX games as well.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Everything you mentioned to me, as a flaw, seems to explain why modern games suck. No part of Myst was "use the cheesecloth on the chandelier", everything made sense. You had to learn, you had to take notes? That's awesome! Although as I said before, Riven kinda took it too far, so I could see that as being a bit much... Hah, I guess Myst counts as first person, but we're getting off topic, definitely not a shooter.
I think the real part of why games like this are dead is due to how ubiquitous game guides have become, to the point where pretty much every single game even has it's own wiki now. I think most game developers have kinda given up and pretty much just include the guide in the game now. While part of of me appreciates Skyrim telling me exactly where to find a certain guy or place, on the other hand searching for the Ashlander's camp for ages throughout a blasted wastland, and then just finally stumbling upon it through a huge ash-storm that obscured visibility to mere metres in Morrowind was simply incredible. You'll never get that feeling with quest markers (You could disable them in Skyrim of course, but considering that they don't actually give you any directions to the places or people you have to see makes it pointless)

Also the PSX Doom is great for the music and sound effects...I need to find a way to play PC Doom with them enabled.

In some relatively minor Duke Nukem HRP news, one of the modellers has left the scene but not before giving us an amazing new Duke Nukem and Cycloid Emperor model. I'm still not a fan of the HRP, but those models are amazing and way better than the old ones.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It has... heart. I'll give it that. It's a remake with heart.
I just played it a little bit (for some reason 3D floors lag atrociously for me in GZdoom)and that about sums up my view as well.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

In Undying you play as the sexiest man in the universe, Patrick Galloway, who survived some war with a bunch of weirdo savages thanks to a man with the coolest name ever, Jeremiah Covenant. Patrick got a kickass bluish green stone for his efforts. What does this stone do? Shut up it's magic.
True story, originally the main character was going to be a big muscley bald guy called Magnus Wolfram (or something similar) but Clive Barker took one look and said "make the main character a man I'd want to jump into bed with" and Patrick Galloway was born :allears:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

It's good and bad - bad because still no Duke multiplayer, but good because it means they're probably writing their own multiplayer system instead of using the old sync-code (at least I hope so) Eduke32's MP had a big fixup recently, it's still not done but it shouldn't be too long now. I just bought Megaton myself anyway, if only to have the add-on packs and another place to grab Duke incase my CDs fuckup and I lose my HD copy.

Just played a little bit of Duke Caribean. First impressions are that the menus are really polished and look pretty great, although you can't go full Classic mode and can only use the OpenGl renderer. They've resampled all the music which is pretty drat cool. I've looked at the game directory and you can actually just drop Eduke32 into the 'gameroot' directory and go from there without having to use Steam, which is pretty cool.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 20, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Overbite posted:

I bought it because I've never played the expansions. The beach one feels like some total conversion, it's silly.
The beach one is the best, the DC one is pretty decent however it has huge sprawling levels (which is up to your taste to see if you like it or not) and the X-mas one is pretty poor quality from what I remember.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

It should, they had no reason to change the game's scripting language. It would just have gratuitously given them more work to do, without any upside.
Actually it won't work since that tweak uses Eduke32 code stuff - there's no way to modify the Slimer's code in standard Duke. You can just copy Eduke32 into the Megaton edition's directory though, infact one of the Eduke32 devs added it to the program's default directory list for Duke copies.

Are you guys playing without mouse-look? or with auto-run off? I've played far too much Duke because the game is really easy for me even on drat I'm good (if you blow up an enemies corpse, it won't come back on that skill level)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Mill Village posted:

Is there a certain place I need to put that command in the con files? I tried doing it with Nuclear Winter (in 'nwinter.con and nwactor.con), but the game would not start up. There are also no con files for the Duke 3D and the other TCs.
That CON command won't work with the Megaton port, since it uses code specific to the Eduke32 port. If you want to play without slimers you'll have to download Eduke32, but you won't get the new menu or Steam achievements or anything like that (if you're bothered by that)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Also if you want more Blood I'm obligated to pimp my buddy's excellent expansion Death Wish if you want more gory cultist blasting action. :smugwizard:
Everything about Death Wish was simply incredible. I've been using BUILD (although for Duke and not for Blood) for over 10 years and it puts the vast majority of my work to shame. There's just such a huge variety of environments and great ideas in it. I was planning to play Serpant Resurrection but now I'm torn between that and replaying this.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So, I've been playing Serpent Ressurection...10 hours later I'm still not done :stare: I wanted to wrap it up in one day but it looks like the last parts of it will have to wait. It's one hell of an adventure, marred by some really lovely jumping puzzles. They're easy enough to noclip by in anycase. The levels are pretty sparse and don't have that much detail, but they're huge and paint a really great scene - I'd say they're much more like Unreal than normal Hexen levels. I realised a short while in that it was made by the same author as Sonic Doom, which had similar problems but was a pretty epic adventure all together.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

No, that's not right. You can make a texture darker, but you can't make it brighter. The most you can do is give it a positive shade so that it doesn't fade to darkness as quickly as other textures, but the default brightness when you place something is the highest it can go. Other than that though, Shading is all done by hand which is good and bad - bad because it takes along time, but good because you can have much higher precision than Doom's model.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So, I just beat Serpent Resurrection, 2 entire days later. The game time says it took me 14 hours, but that's not including reload times. That's also not including the fact that I got really tired towards the end and cheated, otherwise add at least an hour onto that. That was one HELL of an adventure, it's not something I could stomach replaying for a long time and it had lots of little niggles but it was definitly worth it. The only big problem I had, and I'm not sure if it's the mod, GZdoom, or just my aging computer but several crashes wiped my savegames. There's autosaves at the start of levels but when a single level can take upwards of an hour or two to clear that's not as helpful. Definitly save in a couple of slots for this one.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So out of curiosity, are there any easy to follow tutorials for total beginners for making Duke Nukem 3D maps? Something that's easy to follow like that goon authored Doombuilder tutorial posted a few times earlier in the thread. Also, what's the best tool? EDUKE32 comes with... Mapster32, right? I really don't know anything about it.
Heh, as far as I know right now there's only the guide on the Edukewiki. Truth be told it's something I've never considered making (I've been mapping for over 10 years though :v:) and I don't think we really get enough new people that any existing people in the community want to make a new easier to use guide.

quote:

After now playing the other two, yeah, it's very much the better of the three. Nuclear Winter was abysmal. It was basically the sort of low effort spritehacks you'd see coming out of a Mario ROM hack. And I sure did love Santa repeating that one line he had every time I shot the stupid bastard.
Yeah, Vacation is the best one and it's really fun to play during Summer as well. I did like Duke it out in DC, the levels looked good although them being mazes can make it a job the first time you're playing it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, it's not perfectly polished (I'd be absolutely stunned if it was, given that it's effectively a full, lengthy game made by one guy), but I think it managed to hit the mark better than Hexen did. It definitely requires a fairly modern CPU though. GZDoom might be able to do enormous maps like that on paper, but in practice you need a decent modern-ish i5 or better to make it really work.
I can't get over how perfect the music was - I thought it was custom made for the mod but when I saw the credits I realised that he got them from Modarchive. Every single track fits amazingly. I'm hoping he's making another one, even if we won't see it for another 5 years (At least the ending I got was pretty clearly setting the scene for a sequal) I think the lag is more to do with GZDoom's 3D floors than the scale of the maps. They always lag badly for me but when I'm in an area without them it's normally pretty fine.

I think the end was pretty great. Having to run through the entire island to get back to the boat was less tedius than I thought, although I mostly dodged the enemies since there is actually a timer. If you take too long the King dies (and the two Elfs if you resuced them too)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Mapster32 is pretty easy to use, if you have any questions that the guides aren't good for post them there and me or I'm sure another Build-user will be happy to help. One of the cool things recently added to Eduke32 was true room over room sectors - like Shadow Warrior and Blood but much much better (and easier to set up) If you keep it simple than it works great with Classic but if you play with the Polymer renderer you can do some crazy things with it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBJ7iX5a-o

So it looks like a couple of Dukers (Gambini who's made a bunch of insanely detailed levels and Mikko Sandt who's been making maps for longer than I have, as well as a few others) have come together to make DNF as it was in the 2001 trailer...in Duke3D :stare: Something that eloborate wouldn't be just for an April Fool's day joke so this looks loving amazing.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Please tell me this is real. I have always LOVED the 2001 trailer and this looks like it's legitimately the game that would have been if that trailer wasn't just a bunch of scripted cutscenes in an otherwise completely unplayable game.
Yeah, it's real. I have no idea when the release date is, but I think it's before the end of this month.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

I just looked up some gameplay footage of it on Youtube, and wow, I've heard of this one before but never seen it in action. It looks so bad, but the music is neat - in fact, I've heard the music before in various good Doom mods. I guess you might as well steal the one decent element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf7mKiFzHLI
Holy poo poo, the music is by Necros, who also did a bunch of tracks for Unreal and Unreal Tournament. I know what I'm gonna be listening to now for today :allears:

Jblade fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 4, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

Well, I know the guy from MSDN is working on it, and a few other old Dukers from back in the day (They did the AMC TC), so I imagine it will be pretty good. The voice acting and story will be awful, but the gameplay will be good.
Mikko's the only person working on it who also worked on the AMC TC - not to be touchy but of course I did slave over it for like 5 years of my life :v: I did like 90% of the work on it (not to downplay the work the other guys put on their maps however)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

Sorry! I don't know of many folks on the Duke community, except for Mikko, and that's only because of MSDN.
It's cool don't worry - there's not many of us left compared to Doom's community so it happens.

I'll always prefer Duke to Doom, but I agree completey that Doom's monsters all filled a niche whereas Duke's enemies didn't feel as versatile (despite being more complex in what they could do) A cyberdemon still to this day makes me think twice about fighting it whereas Duke's bosses are pretty routine. Having said that, I think that the highest quality Duke maps beat the highest quality Doom ones easily (It's the same reason why Blood looks amazing, the palette for that isn't hugely varied but it creates such a rich atmosphere)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I actually like Kingpin, but I do play it on Easy just because of the ridiculous gameplay. For it's time it was really atmospheric and probably one of the first games to aim for a more realistic art-style. It does look ridiculous now but it I rememberer playing it not long after it was released and being blown away by the graphics.

SiN though is one of my favourite games - If you can try and grab the expansion pack Wages of Sin as well, it's just as good if not better than the base game. It was also made by 2015, who went on to make Medal of Honour Allied assault.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

All this talk of SiN and no mention of Wages of SiN? For shame :mad:
I mentioned it on the last page. It's a good expansion pack, better than the original game in places.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Tecman posted:

Okay, since it seems like Convex's computer didn't explode:

Steam 1.12 patcher: sinsteampatcher.exe
Retail 1.11 patcher: sinpatcher.exe (vanilla SiN!*)
Updated the WSGF entry for the game here.
Thanks for this, this gives me a good reason to replay the game!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

QwertySanchez posted:

Steam just gave me a 50% off Duke nukem 3D thing. Does it have anything to make it worth having over the GoG version of the atomic edition I got last year? I already own lifes a beach and duke in LA too.
No, there's supposed to be MP support added at some point but nobody knows when. It's not really worth it unless you like Steam achievements or something.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Buff Skeleton posted:

And all that said, as much as I love Descent, my "totem game" is definitely Unreal/Unreal Tournament, so I was really happy to find this thread and see them get some love in the OP. If you want more Unreal/UT singleplayer levels complete with reviews and the like, go to http://unrealsp.org and you can find a lot of really good stuff. I've actually made and released a few things myself (as Waffnuffly) and am working on a big mod right now that's in Open Beta. I also made a level for 7 Bullets, and yes, that's a pretty great mod! There's still a sizable amount of development activity for these old games even today; it warms my heart.

If you have any questions at all about content or running Unreal/UT, feel free to ask me! I've been playing and developing on that engine for the better part of the last 14 years, no joke.
Hah, you're Waffnuffly? Cool! I liked the 7B maps you did but Palace of Chizra is probably my favourite of the maps you've done. 7B was pretty great, it's too bad that RD has kind of disapeared (At least I can't see a forum for it anymore and no website) I would like EXU more but it makes my computer bleed (Which is hardly your fault) The Last Fortress is also pretty loving amazing too actually.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Okay, I know some of you guys are in touch with the Duke 3D community here. Can somebody please confirm definitively that DNF2013 isn't some sort of cruel long-lasting April Fool's prank? They released the trailer April 1st, and now they've pushed the supposed release date back twice. It feels like they're just screwing around and making fun of DNF's dev time or something, and honestly, it's starting to piss me off. I really want it to be real, but I'm starting to have my doubts.
It is real - The beta-tester they sent it to I know goes into great detail and sent a list of stuff that could be improved/fixed which is why it's taking longer. It's just one of those things unfortunately.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I liked how they'd trash talk you in the chat, even if it was repetitive and silly.
If I remember right they even responded to you if you chatted back with their name, even if it was really rudimentary.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

It's good fun, but don't go in expecting a full length game or something that deviates alot from normal Duke gameplay. It's 5-maps long and will take you around an hour and a bit. The levels are amazing looking, especially for a Build engine game.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

You know I swear I heard in an early preview of Gunman Chronicles that the levels would change depending on difficulty - like for instance if you had a bridge in a level, in Easy it'd be a solid concrete thing with plenty of cover and on Hard it would be a rickety rope bridge. I don't know if I just imagined that but it would be a pretty drat neat thing to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

A...new Shadow Warrior? If that's true....well I have no idea what the hell to make of that. I mean if you exclude the dumb stereotypes Shadow Warrior was still a pretty decent game, if already outdated by the time of it's release. It still had lots of the creativity that Duke Nukem had in it.