Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
loving awesome OP. Though I'd argue that Rise of the Triad should get it's own little spotlight banner and such.

It reminds me I still haven't played through the Marathon games yet, either. I need to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
DMC is actually fun when you can find the uncommon full server.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
That id Super Pack is a steal when I bought it when it was first available for $69.99 or whatever. $29.99 is highway freakin' robbery.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just read through the OP, which is excellent by the way, but there are a few glaring omissions that are bugging me that I'm sure have bee brought up a billion times now.

Redneck Rampage is another awesome shooter that utilized the BUILD engine. It wasn't particularly innovative at the time, but was just different and charming enough to be fun. Hilarious enemy voice-overs, eating pork rinds and moon pies for health, drinking alcohol to steady your aim or too much to make you too drunk to do anything, challenging level design, fighting poo monsters, using dynamite chicken crossbows, richocheting ripsaw blades, and a gun in the shape of alien tits, etc.

In my opinion it's highly underrated and needs to be in the OP.

Spear of Destiny is the lesser known official sequel to Wolfenstein 3D I didn't see mentioned in the OP.

The Lost Episodes of Doom was a pretty cool set of levels that came on a floppy disk accompanied by a huge rear end book with a complete walkthrough, maps, strategies, tips, etc.

Outlaws was an interesting take on the wild west shooter by LucasArts.

Powerslave/Exhumed was another interesting Egyptian-centric FPS where the PC version used an early variant of the BUILD engine.

Other than that, maybe give mentions to Heretic II and Hexen II/Portal of Praevus? Awesome thread otherwise.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dominic White posted:

So, today I wrote a bit about the source-port/freeware fan-release of Forsaken. A fairly fast and arcadey Descent clone released in 1998. The source-port doesn't change much (just adds modern resolutions and solves compatibility issues), but it's a neat little LAN game, and it's now for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Just don't even try playing it if you suffer from motion sickness. It WILL kill you.

I remember getting a free copy of Forsaken when I bought one of the Turok games way back when for the PC and dismissed it as a Descent rip-off. I may have to try it again now and give it another chance.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Is there some sort of master list that keeps track of the player base of all multiplayer games on the PC? It would be interesting to see them all side by side to see how many people still play multiplayer on older games.

I'm aware of the server lists on GameRanger and I love what GameTracker is doing. Is there anything else out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Was going to mention Wolfy turning 20 today. And yes, I do feel old. I'll never forget seeing it run on my friend's 386-SX in 5th grade.