Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

an_mutt posted:

E1M5? :)

It took me a little longer to guess, until I realised the structures on the right were the mazes you had to traverse to get to the yellow key [while also giving you a chance to skip it and go straight through a secret door earlier on!]

it's actually e1m6 :goonsay:

though you're right about the maze part in E1M5 being skippable if you backtrack to one of the secret areas in that tall circular room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Purple D. Link posted:

Does anyone else think Thy Flesh Consumed feels more cheap than challenging? I could already tell it would be like that when monsters teleported behind me a bunch in the first map...

E4M1 is ridiculously cheap, and honestly, I'd just skip it because I tend to pistol start E4M2 anyway.

E4M2 is really hard, by the way, but it's also goddamn amazing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Purple D. Link posted:

Doom 2 felt pretty standard at first, but it really picks up at Dead Simple. I wish Tricks and Traps had lasted a bit longer. The game basically forced me into the exit before I could explore more. Fighting a swarm of tough enemies while invincible was just great. :black101:

have you tried beating Tricks and Traps with pistol start? Always a fun challenge to find the best route.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cubemario posted:

So I'm showing appreciation for the classics but I have a screen warping/fisheye problem and changing the FOV or aspect ratio does not seem to solve it. I am playing ultimate doom and using zdoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIwaweAdsA

It's very disorienting and makes this game not enjoyable, please help.

That's just what happens with vertical mouse movement in a 2.5D engine. if it bothers you that much, turn off vertical movement or play in like Doomsday or some source port that has a proper 3D engine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Any source port can play level .wad files that are compatible with the base Doom game, I think. Many mods are made specifically for certain source ports, though, and ZDoom does seem to be the most popular source port to mod for.

In any case, in the idgames level archive, they should say which source port any given level was made for (anything Doom or Boom-compatible should be fine with any source port, except, like, Chocolate Doom or something)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Starting with Doom 1 is perfectly fine. The only real notable difference (in my eyes) is the lack of a double-barreled shotgun.

well, that, and the completely non-existent midtier for monsters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why don't you just wait for Black Mesa Source? :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ToxicFrog posted:

:gonk: I decided to try out Ultraviolence and accidentally turned it all the way up to Nightmare.

It does not gently caress around at that difficulty, does it?

Nightmare is kind of a gimmick difficulty, even most serious players usually don't go beyond UV+-fast

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

spincube posted:

By the time Quake was released and it had gone from a first-person Thor-em-up to a more Doom clone-y shooter, I'd imagine they realised there was no way to believably fit a story to the game, so they threw some poo poo about slipgates and enemy generals called Quake into a .txt file on the disc and called it a day. Fill in the blanks while you're shooting mans.

The Quake "storyline" is great because it reads exactly like it was written an hour before the game was actually released, which, given the development that game went through, would not surprise me at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quake 2's levels are an unhappy mix between realistic-style Half-Life-like design, and the abstraction of Quake. It just doesn't work at all, you have these realistic layouts, but none of the immersive detail that HL had, and none of the flat-out insane traps and fun that Quake had.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iastudent posted:

Holy hell, the third episode of Heretic starts off a lot more hectic than the first two. You start off in a closed square with a couple imps, nothing new. Then you see there's phantoms above your head in a gated portion that can still take potshots at you. THEN you head out and start running into those axe-throwers around every corner and there's hardly enough ammo for your starting staff to take care of things.

Do you have the episode 4/5 expansion?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

treat posted:

Wait, did you just say Doom isn't about confusing level design?

Yes, there were a few bits in Doom that were too mazy, because Tom Hall is bad at making fun levels.

This is not an excuse to turn Doom into Hexen-style switchhunting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dominic White posted:

Seriously, this is one of the main reasons I love the mod. Every weapon actually has a use. The chaingun no longer is completely obsoleted by the plasma gun, the single-barrel shotgun has mid-range combat use, and the pistol is replaced by the new sniper weapon, instead of just using 2-shot bursts with the chaingun.

ehh, the chaingun was a rapid fire hitscan sniper rifle if you tapped the trigger, it was perfect for taking down things like PEs, cacos, commandos, and arachs at long range, unlike the plasma gun (since it was projectile based).

and the single shotgun did have a good niche in Doom II as a midrange hitscanner/imp killer, it took down packs of low-tier enemies much faster than the SSG (which left you vulnerable to unavoidable hitscan attacks while you reloaded, and wasted ammo since most hitscanners/imps died in one shell anyway)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2fort sucks in any format.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i was kinda commenting on the whole "plasma rifle obsoletes the chaingun" thing which I don't really find to be true at all

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You could always just end your levels on a sector 11 floor, or otherwise kill the player on each exit. (Speed of Doom did this a few times)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Alien Vendetta Map20 is the worst level I've ever played in any "good" Doom WAD, and that includes like, all of Eternal Doom and TNT

e: actually, it might be Z1M3 from KDIZD. Don't really want to double check, though

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 3, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lawman 0 posted:

The huge gently caress off pyramid level. "misiri halek"

I don't understand the HUGE hate for it though, since I actually sorta like playing it from a pistol start though it does drag on and on.
I don't think it deserves WORST LEVEL EVER though even if its an unwieldy beast.

it's really really slow and plodding, which is the oppisite of how AV should play (and it's surprisingly underpopulated for a map that size). IIRC most servers that run coop games on AV have a setting that automatically skips that map.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

manero posted:

I just finished a huge playthrough. First all of Ultimate DOOM, then KDIZD, then DOOM ][. Now I'm looking for something else.

Alien Vendetta sounds somewhat familiar, so I might have played it a while ago, but I can't remember. My other choice is probably http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/2002:_A_Doom_Odyssey - Anyone play this?

I generally liked KDIZD, but I'll agree with the sentiment that there was too much stupid backtracking. I got lost way too much.

Edit: I'd like to stick to vanilla monsters and weapons, if possible.

Play AV, it's pretty much a classic, though it has a much different design philosophy than Vanilla Doom iwads.

Also it's probably where you should figure out that most custom Doom wads are not made with "UV is the default skill setting" in mind.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jblade posted:

You know I do loving hate the 'art' thing many games are trying for but I do feel like there is just a certain...purity? to Vanilla Doom gameplay that the weapon mods just do away with completely, Brutal Doom included. Don't get me wrong though, I have zero objection to playing with weapon mods or the like - authorial intent is one thing, but on the other hand if the player wants to add a dozen mods on top of a perfectly balanced SP wad he's got just as much right to do that as the author does to complain about it.

This is basically my thought entirely, I really don't care that people are playing with "awesome" gameplay mods, but I'm absolutely opposed to the way it's completely dominated Doom discussion here lately, and the implications people have been making that it's like, a mandantory mod to make modern-day Dooming enjoyable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dominic White posted:

You seem to be in this weird state of denial that any setting below UV exists. That seems to be the entire core of your problem here. Yes, for the longest time, UV was the only difficulty setting that anyone played. That has changed. Now there are actually five difficulty settings!

This hasn't been true since like, Plutonia.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stuntman posted:

~^*my pure doom gaming experience*^~
It's singleplayer, bub, stop being insufferable about how people play their singleplayer games. If someone wants to use a WAD that changes all the imps into health pickups and makes every gun fire Homestuck characters, that's their decision and it doesn't affect you. If they find it fun, they find it fun. It's not going to detract from your vanilla run.

I really don't care if you enjoy Doom II: My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic edition in your own spare time, whatever makes you have fun is fine. What I have a problem with is the "Brutal Doom is Real Doom" narrative that's been going on the last several months in this thread (seriously, I can find like, one post about Doom for every page of Brutal Doom discussion), and the implication that Brutal Doom is a necessary gameplay mod to make Doom acceptable for modern play, ignoring that it plays badly with most .wads more difficult than Memento Mori.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On the plus side, it's not as bad as people recommending KDIZD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ToxicFrog posted:

What's wrong with KDIZD?

Serious question, I thought I remembered people being vaguely positive towards it back in the days when this was the 2.5D FPS megathread.

did you ever play Hexen, and wonder who the hell thought wandering around identical gray castle rooms looking for hidden switches for hours was fun?

the designers of KDIZD sure didn't!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I've been replaying Wolf3d using the TC for Doom and I have to say that the level design is pretty bad. Mostly this is from lots of rooms that are useless and who ever decided having secrets inside multiple other secrets is a moron.

Here is an example:

Inside that mess of over 100 push walls are two bosses from EP1 and some one ups, thats it. By this point I just no clipped through the area to see if it lead to anything. The level before that E2M7 is extremely short if you don't go in the secret that has the other half of the level and most of the enemies. Plus on EP2 if you do go into all the secrets by level 3 you have 9 lives and by level 5 your score counter overflows.

ftr, that maze was intended to have an easter egg which told you to call Apogee HQ and win a special prize, that was abandoned since it was too easy to just open the game files and find the texture in there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wolf3D actually had some pretty creative levels given the limitations of the engine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Map 1 of E4 is really bad and should be skipped, but Map 2 is an absolute classic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thy Flesh Consumed, apart from map 1, is really goddamn good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It works by you going "gently caress this poo poo" and idcleving to map29, because that level is so bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw, god mode won't actually help, because voodoo dolls can still kill you if IDDQD is on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This project seems to have stalled, which is a shame, since it's actually a way to improve the original game's graphics while still staying true to the great spritework.

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/voxels.htm

(of course, I can't really see it working on monsters)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

catlord posted:

Quick question, as somebody who is currently playing through Doom 2 for the first time: is there any way to make the city levels less painful? Playing Doom earlier this year wasn't so bad, but these city levels... they're not difficult (I started playing them to take a break from the ball-breaking difficulty of Scythe2), they're just bland.

Skip them? Doom's levels are usually designed to be possible on a pistol start (since before autosaves, you'd restart the level with a pistol and fifty rounds)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I don't feel Heretic and Hexen ever got enough love. I mean yeah, to some degree they're just Doom reskins but they're fun!

I've always thought Heretic was just Doom with less punchy weapons, unless you use the Tome of Power. Still, it's good fun, and the levels are generally better than the non-Romero levels of the first two Doom games. Hexen, on the other hand, was way too switch-hunty for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

0 rows returned posted:

Edit: Stop after level 11, skip straight to No Rest For the Living.

This is a really silly idea, the "City" levels are rightfully panned (though I like MAP15 a bit), but you'll miss out on some fantastic levels like The Inmost Dens, The Abandoned Mines, Monster Condo (maybe the only Sandy Peterson level I flat-out love), and especially The Living End.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The main problem I had with Refueling Base is that The Pit is such a huge ammo dump, and entering that level with five shells, 40 bullets, and two rockets is such a pain in the rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not to mention playing the classic megawads as they were designed. (Alien Vendetta, Scythe 1/2, etc)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Evan Montegarde posted:

Finished Memento Mori II with Brutal Doom...I'm not sure how I felt about it, I like the more visceral experience it gives and the bigger "punch" the weapons pack, but a lot of it seems unnecessary and the gameplay is changed a lot.

What big megawad should I tackle next? I've done Scythe, Scythe2, MM1, MM2, Alien Vendetta, Deus Vult, Deus Vult 2 (not megawads I guess but w/e), and probably some other I'm forgetting.

Speed of Doom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drat. That sounds Brutal as hell. Brutal Doom, folks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just got the Reelism Megaweapons/Boxes combo that spawned treasure chests with Soul Spheres and Megaweapons all over the map

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What the hell are Oopsies in Reelism? I've been killed by them a few times, and I have no idea what triggered them to appear.