Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

God knows if it's any good or not, I should probably try it out sometime.

Last Rites is definitely an odd duck. It's got a lot of high points, but none of them are utilized well enough to actually make it a good game. For one, it has the ability to do true 3D stuff--the pickups are models--but the level design doesn't reflect it at all. The levels are almost entirely big boxes with a few smaller boxes throughout. The graphics are pretty cool, but when you get down to the meat of them, everything of consequence is pretty much gray and brown. Interesting monster designs, but bland gray walls and bland gray guns. You have AI teammates who help you fight off the zombies, but they have a tendency to just wander around aimlessly and end up getting themselves killed. All in all, it feels sort of like a 2.5D predecessor to Left 4 Dead that just didn't put in enough effort to be memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

Huh, I should probably give it a chance then. Thanks!

Just note that I said it didn't put in the effort to be memorable. By that I mean it's not that great, so don't complain to me if you get bored with it after slogging through a few levels.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
That's the same way that Duke Nukem 3D did it. I have no idea what the functionality was supposed to be, apart from perhaps going "Woah, check it out! I can turn my head just like in REAL LIFE!"

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I don't see why anybody feels the need to pull out their neckbeard hairs in frustration over getting a modern source port to be 100% exactly like the original DOS renderer. If you absolutely CANNOT handle there being differences for whatever reason, just use DOSBox? I honestly do not see what the big deal is.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I guess I must be in the minority then, because I honestly don't see this mystical appeal of software mode; it's clunky and ugly. Sure, I get the nostalgia value and I understand that it's how the game was INTENDED to be played, but I honestly don't care about intent when it comes to games. Quakespasm with filtering off and square particles works wonders by me. The same goes for Doom, even: I use GZDoom even for non-GL mods simply for the fact that I hate the ugly "fade to brown" method of shading in software.

EDIT:

Zaphod42 posted:

For the most part I agree with you, but things like being able to load funky WADs or being able to load replays without the demo breaking at some point can depend upon you getting all the emulation 100% exact, so I don't think its so worthless. Its just not something I would personally put a ton of time into, but power to those who do.
Yeah, that much makes sense. I'm not KNOCKING anybody for it, though my wording was pretty harsh I guess. I guess I just find it odd to obsess so much over the tiniest details when I'm not somebody interested in demo playback or what have you.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 3, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
(quote is not edit)

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 3, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Linguica posted:

Do you also prefer the "special edition" versions of the original Star Wars triology. Just trying to get a complete picture here
Comparing software vs. hardware is nowhere near the same ballpark as original trilogy vs. special edition. Maybe if Quakespasm automatically converted your .pak files to feature HD textures and high poly models, replaced certain monsters with overproduced "scarier" versions, and added a bunch of goofy cartoon sound effects it would be a better comparison.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Boy, then it's REALLY going to upset you to learn that I've played both episodes exclusively with GZDoom and I don't think I've ever played without gameplay mods, either.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I literally just asked why software is such a big deal to people because I don't personally see what the fuss is about. Maybe I chose my words poorly? I thought a remark about neckbeards would maybe be seen as a humorous jab in a thread about video games that are over 20 years old? Not once did I bluntly state "you're not allowed to play games this way," nor did I ever say that anyone was wrong for doing things differently. You're the one acting like somebody told you to go ram your head through a plate glass window because I'm over here attempting to rationalize my opinion to detractors. Which is exactly what I have been doing: nothing more, nothing less.

As far as the last remark is concerned, I was intentionally a smug rear end to Rocket Pan because I don't like him at all on a personal level. Kind of something that doesn't concern you at all.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rocket Pan posted:

You have an issue with me pointing out that a wad was aesthetically designed for a specific type of renderer in mind? Oh boy...

Hey, as much as I would love to go on a big, showy derail right here in public about all the wonderful reasons I don't like you, I'm pretty sure nobody else gives a poo poo. So uh, yeah, this line of conversation is over as far as I'm concerned, so maybe somebody can get us back to discussing the political views of Shamblers or whatever the hell we were talking about before this messy business.

EDIT:

Roobanguy posted:

i like to play the doom.wad
I, too, am a fan of the doom.wad, as well as the doom2.wad.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 4, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So I don't think I saw anybody bring this up here, but I just learned today the worst outcome of the 3D Realms v. Gearbox Software legal mess: those prototypes of Duke Nukem 3D that 3DR has been working on getting ready for a release for over a year now? Never going to happen now. They no longer have the legal rights to.

gently caress you, Randy Pitchford.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Just a head's up: that UT2004 Pickups in Unreal mod that I found a while back is suddenly back online! That means that anyone with that mod that lets you play Unreal in UT2004 can now play the campaign with BALLISTIC WEAPONS!! Get the mod here.

EDIT: And of course, after leaving that link open in another tab for months, hoping it'd show up again... it doesn't appear to work. Great.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

What could it mean???

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:toot: Where did you see this?!

Mak0rz posted:

Where did you find this??

Not exactly where I found it, per se, but let's just say this is the source for now: https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Yodzilla posted:

That sounds illegal IMHO.

There's GZDoom-GPL, which is totally legal to use for commercial products.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think there needs to be more Ken's Labyrinth easter eggs and references in other games :colbert:

Not sure that it really counts, but as a kid I swear to God I had some weird build of LameDuke in which Duke's sprite was the red jelly blob you shoot in Ken's Labyrinth. I... really have no idea.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Dropping the cloak and daggers, I might as well reveal that I am the director of the Ken's Labyrinth II project!! Let me answer some of the frequently asked questions in the form of... a FAQ.

Q: Is this official or a fan-game?
A: It's 100% official! We have licensed the series from Ken Silverman.

Q: Is Ken Silverman making this?
A: Sadly, no. While he did license us Ken's Labyrinth, he decided not to be involved past being an observer. He has however given us high praise for what he's seen of our development process so far:

Ken Silverman posted:

Well, the story is totally pointless and cheesy and seems to be made up on the fly. The weapons and power-ups seem way too powerful and likely to ruin the gameplay. All I can say is: Well done! Seriously. You have totally captured the spirit of Ken’s Labyrinth.

Q: Why GZDoom? Why not BUILD?
A: The long and short of it is that I want to be directly involved in the process, and in order to facilitate that I chose an engine with which I am already familiar. Don't get me wrong: I love BUILD, probably in an unhealthy or illegal way. But I've simply not got the experience in working with it.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Keiya posted:

Why not Gloome?

GLOOME is out of development now and it has been for a while. GZDoom-GPL has succeeded it and as far as I'm aware it's kept up to date with the bleeding edge builds of the main engine.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

BattleMaster posted:

Cool, a room; haven't seen one of those in a first person shooter before.

There's literally no reason to be like this, dude.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Well, for what it's worth, I flagged it as violating copyright law. I doubt I'm the first though, so it's probably just not a cause for concern for Valve... which is kind of stupid considering the dude stole from Half-Life and Left 4 Dead 2 as well.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
As the project director who has the most direct contact with him (re: Ken's Labyrinth II), I can attest that Ken's a really nice guy. Then again, he's not programming anything for us so I can't say anything on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So guess what retro FPS milestone just passed this New Year's?

https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII/status/948034865651421184

Ken's Labyrinth turned 25! I'll admit that it's not the most amazing FPS ever made, certainly, but it definitely has a unique charm to it. It managed to be a quirky and colorful shooter you could play with your super Christian relative's kids without risking them having a meltdown over it but also not resorting to cartoon animals and fart noises to try and make it interesting (looking at you, H.U.R.L.). And even if you can't identify with it on a gameplay level, you still have to recognize that it was a 16 year old Ken Silverman's gateway to producing the BUILD engine, without which Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood would have all assuredly been much different games. If you've never given it a try or feel like trying it again, the original game is available as freeware on Ken's website alongside lots of interesting tidbits, including an okay source port that modernizes a lot of stuff.