Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Could anyone suggest to me a few good Quake 1 mods that would enhance the visuals or at least allow for a decent UI size on a 1080p monitor? I'm looking for engine changes specifically, not changes to gameplay if it can be helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

disborat posted:

I've always used Darkplaces. Enhances particles & textures, lets you do widescreen and mess with the hud. I think there's a retexture pack but it looks good enough without.

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

Thanks, I'll check this out this evening.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've been playing a variety of Doom source ports over the weekend. Two standouts were Doomsday Engine and Chocolate Doom. I ran into a lot of issues getting DE working to detect all my WAD files, but it does look good with the renderer. Chocolate Doom is a really good representation of old school Doom, but the 320x200 resolution is kind of difficult to get used to. CDoom plays way better than the DE port. It's almost like DE has too much momentum and is almost has too much bobbing.

Are the GZdoom variants a good balance of the above? I'd basically like vanilla Doom gameplay with a modern renderer.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks guys that answers my questions. Sounds like I can just us PRBoom and disable mouselook and that will be what I need. I'm not super critical on the backend mechanics, but I would like the game to feel very close to vanilla.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Llamadeus posted:

For very conservative source ports, imo Crispy Doom is less authentic but a bit more playable than Chocolate Doom. Runs at 640x400, isn't capped to 35fps and can play wads that don't obey vanilla limits.

That looks very promising. I can handle 640x400, so long as the automap doesn't look like absolute rear end.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Locking the aspect ratio to 4:3 is the correct way to view it though, right? Trying to stretch those resolution to 16:9 would make the game look really distorted.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Trip report, Crispy Doom is awesome. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Turok 2 is out???? Know what I'm doing this weekend.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the deal with episode 4 of Doom being so much harder than the other levels on Ultra Violence? I beat the game pretty handily on UV, but I can't get past the E4M1 without dropping down to HMP.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sir, that soundtrack is decidedly 16-bit.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's not 8-bit unless the game fits on one 1.44MB floppy disk.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cat Mattress posted:

The double-sided high density floppy disk is for 16-bit computers. For 8-bit, you need to go older.

Like 5¼" floppy older?

NOPE! They're 16-bit too! Far too modern and powerful!

To be safe, look for an 8" floppy. 175 kb from a Memorex drive and you'll be glad to have that much instead of the 80 kb from an IBM drive!

Basically, for computer gaming, "eight bit" means things like the ZX80, Apple II (but not IIGS), Amstrad CPC (but not CPC+), Commodore 64/128 (but not Amiga), Atari (before ST), Thomson MO5 or TO7, Oric, etc. Stuff that were powered by a Motorola 6800 or an Intel 8080, or a similar chip (like the Z80).

"PC gaming" means an architecture based on the 8086, so it's 16-bit minimum. (32-bit starting with the 80386, 64-bit now.) Likewise the original Macintosh used a Motorola 68000 processor (note the extra 0 compared to the 6800) which was also 16-bit. The Amiga and Atari ST/Falcon platform which were still quite popular for games were also powered by the 68k series, so 16-bit.

You're doing the Lord's work.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I find it funny how much geometry skews when looking up and down in Duke3D with the default renderer. Game is still badass though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What is the deal with diagonal running? They just added together the velocity for forward and strafe momentum?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, basically its just naive code that says

"If KEY_STRAFE is down" -> move left 5 feet

"If KEY_FORWARD is down" -> move forward 5 feet

it seems pretty sensible and works fine. Its not immediately obvious that this means moving both directions lets you go faster.

MOST people were not using mice when Doom came out, but ID were using mice because they were nerds with workstation machines and stuff. So the game did support it from launch, but yeah, most people remember doom being "keyboard only" at first.

I saw this firsthand when I was goofing off with Hexen 2 this weekend. Holding run and then moving diagonally made you super fast. Couple that with the boots of speed and it's almost unplayable.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah but it seemed way more exaggerated in Hexen 2. I'm thinking it had something to do with class specific speed?

I think the Assassin had a better movespeed than the other classes.

What was the purpose of walk/run back in the oldschool games? I assumed everybody just turned autorun on unless they were trying to do some engine fuckery.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are there any quick resources online that I can look at for an intro to Doom map making? Looks like I have several options for a map editor and I'd like to start out learning on a simpler one.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I'm importing MIDI files into a WAD, they just need to be .mid files, correct?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fishmech posted:

Be warned that if you're trying for vanilla compatiblity, you may have issues.

Doom version 1.5 and older may only have MUS files - these are MIDI files restricted to 8 instruments plus 1 drums channel and 64 kilobytes of space used. Editors seeking to save to this will chop off instruments and chop off the end of larger files to fit these restrictions.

Later vanilla Doom versions support all MIDIs with full instrument channels, but still enforce a 64 kilobyte file size, they'll stop reading the MIDI once it's at the 64 KB mark.

BOOM and later wad formats can use any midi files of any filesize without restriction.

Thanks for this clarification. I should be well within those channel and instrument limits. I normally make tracks with like 5 instruments at most which don't last longer than about 2 minutes before they loop.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I gotta say, the Remaster source port of Quake 2 is pretty drat good. You can toggle off most of the remaster bits if you want and the item wheel thing is good for all the different inventory items you get in the game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Baron von Eevl posted:

The leap attack caught me so off guard the first time, which I think was the bridge over lava trap.

Such a classic setpiece too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Plutonia has so many gently caress off traps... I just finished map 8 on UV and I had chaingunners warp in on both sides of me after picking up a key, then the platform with the exit portal spawned TWO ARCHVILES and a bunch of revenants.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I played through Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 over the past month, and am currently working through Plutonia and TNT. I gotta say, the games still hold up extremely well even against modern shooters. The weapon and monster design is just so good and I find myself really thinking through what makes each map and encounter work. Just the combination of what the different monsters can do and what you can do to counter them is great.

I decided to keep things as close to the original as possible, so I've been playing with PRBoom+ with some of the graphics smoothing options enabled. The art style still works well today. It's just crazy how much fun I'm still having with a 31 year old game that I used to play as a kid.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Volte posted:

:gonk:

And DSDA-Doom is a successor to (and fork of) PRBoom+ if you're interested in a more actively developed port that still sticks to the same classic design ethos

Yes... I know I know... I like the smudged look lol.

In Training posted:

Are you enjoying TNT?

I'm on like map 12 of TNT and it seems fine so far. I'm on map 9 of Plutonia but overall I think Plutonia has the better design, even with the difficulty.

The was one map of TNT that had to have like 300 hitscanners in it. Some kind of Hangar level I think. But I'm playing on UV so I'm probably asking for the toughest encounters lol.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bumhead posted:

I bought a CRT a few weeks ago and played Doom on it for the first time today (started an UV, pistol start run and trying not to save mid-level).

Now I don’t know if this is just my brain trying to fill things in that aren’t there to justify this silly purchase, but I’m getting a real sense of “this is how it’s meant to be played”. In particular with the darkness of the levels. Dark areas are now.. really loving dark. Like, pitch black. It’s restored some of the horror to the experience for sure. Finding the night vision goggles to navigate areas like the end of E1M5 now feels essential in a way I don’t recall from recent play throughs on more modern displays.

Depending on source port and renderer, you can make it pitch black on modern monitors as well. I'd still love to have a CRT monitor sitting around to really get the original experience down. Too bad they're so heavy!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think I had to adjust a few things in PRBoom+ the first time I used it because the gamma was set way too dark at first. I swapped over to shader lighting and then set the gamma adjustment to 0 and that seemed to work well. Dark areas are still really dark even if not quite the way they were in software mode.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was forced to watch a movie with the TV's "contrast enhancing" auto-dimming and 60 FPS upscaler enabled at my dad's house

Oh my god, that's terrible. I can't stand those frame smoothing features on TVs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

victrix posted:

it's an interesting phenomenon because I'll happily play doom or cod mp and giggle at the violence, but if it crosses an intangible line it's super gross and I don't want to touch it (see modern mortal kombat)

That's kind of where I'm at too. I can play Doom Eternal all day and the gore doesn't bother me at all. But I cringe so bad if a character gets their arm broken or something in a game like The Last of Us. One is stylized violence against monsters/demons. The other is realistic harm against a human being.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like using bilinear filtering in source ports. I know it makes the graphics blurry, it just works for me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I know and I'm sorry. I have brain issues.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Other than the blaster, the grenade launcher has to be one of the poorer weapons in Quake 2. Love shooting grenades between an enemies legs!!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not sure I've ever had this problem....

I don't know if it's the model changes between the remaster and the original version, but I've had grenades to straight through the legs of Gunners and Berserkers.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sounds like a skill issue.

Highly probable. It's been a hot minute since I played Quake 2. The changes made in the Remaster are great, but some of the adjustments to enemy attacks are really throwing me off.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I clicked on the video not realizing it was him, and the moment I heard "Hullo you-..." I had to shut it off.

I hate his videos because of that intro specifically. If he's racist on top of that just lmao.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cleared Quake 2 on Hard today. The penultimate level isn't as confusing now that I remembered where everything is. I reckon I'll start on The Reckoning tomorrow and see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Baron von Eevl posted:

The reckoning's weapons are pretty fun but god do I hate the reptile enemies and the swamp levels are really loving dire.

Yeah I got through that area today and it did suck. But it's better now that I'm at the actual base area hunting power cores. The difficulty feels a bit higher than the original campaign, I think mainly because the pace of getting new weapons has been slower. I'm about 2 hours in and I just now got the Chain Gun and some power armor.