Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had that exact disc and several others from the same series.

(Nice pre-release screenshot and degreelessness mode)

There were also all kinds of clipart and JPG collections available with similar cover styles, obviously ripped from various BBSes. Some of them even had pictures of ladies with no clothes on :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't think Doom mapping would be nearly as prevalent today if we just had the Doom 1 roster.

Absolutely agreed.

Doom 2 adds essential mid-tier monsters that were sorely missing from Doom. They make combat more more varied and challenging.

Doom with no Arch-Vile? No Revenant?! No thanks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Hell Knight is a big Imp, basically.

More damage, more health, same basic attack pattern, same strategy needed against them, except they don't go down in a single shotgun blast.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tiny Timbs posted:

Cultic REALLY needs some "CRUDUX CRUOs"

To be fair, it is hard to match the most characterful enemies in any FPS ever.

MARANAX INFIRMUX!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved the assault mode, and whatever mode it was where you had to take over connected bases in order to win.

Onslaught :)

UT 2004 was just plain old good fun.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Voxel Doom works really well because at a distance the monsters look exactly like their sprites and they still have their animation frames and eight distinct rotations to them. It's only when you get close that the added depth becomes obvious.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Blood has style and panache. It's the FPS equivalent of a Harryhausen stop-motion film.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The sprite rotation in Cultic is wrong and the dev says it's deliberate and will not be changed.

0/10.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Commander Keen 4 is still fantastic.

And 5 and 6, of course.

Certainly in the running to be my favorite games ever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

site posted:

two fallout 1 gzdoom games lol this should be interesting

Hell yeah.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I should dig out my Wii and play Metroid Prime again.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I didn't know that about PS2. GameCube games tended to look better to me usually.

Yeah, GC and Xbox were jostling for visual quality, PS2's primary strength was the huge library of games.

For games that came out on all three platforms – like Soul Calibur 2 – the difference was noticable. Of course the Xbox could do 720p on a lot of games, so it was probably ahead on raw power, but developers pulled some real magic on the GC. RE4 is another great example, it had to be reduced graphically to run well on the PS2.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Between my sister and I, we have GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, PS4, plus a few generations of GBA, 3DS and even a PSP.

My GC is an early enough model that it has the digital AV port for the silly expensive component cable, which I've never tried hunting down, because gently caress that.

Sticking with just one system seems silly, unless of course it's the mighty PC, choice of kings.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zelda and Mario are still extremely good choices, Metroid too now that they've sort of started thinking about that franchise again.

I don't think there are many games I've enjoyed quite as much as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. WW is very high on the list for my favorite game ever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Counterpoint: it has Peter Stormare chewing the scenery and stealing the show.

I like Q4. It's certainly not amazing, but it's solid.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i was thinking about this earlier, whats everybody's favourite game in terms of sound design? like for whatever reason

i think for me it is probably half life 1, just because every little sound from that game is etched into my soul.

Either Quake or Half-Life.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Serephina posted:

Apparently '99, from the comments. Still kinda amazing how fast tech was moving back then, it was barely three and a half years between Quake1, Unreal, and Quake3.

Meanwhile in the modern era, games stay in early access for almost a decade.

1991 - Hovertank 3D, Catacomb 3-D
1992 - Wolfenstein 3D
1993 - Doom
1994 - Doom 2, Heretic
1995 - Hexen, Dark Forces, Descent
1996 - Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent 2
1997 - Quake 2, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Hexen 2
1998 - Unreal, Heretic 2
1999 - Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Descent 3

Things were moving fast in the 90s.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 12, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I've been on a Descent kick lately and I was shocked to see that D3 was only 3 years after D2. In my mind it was this huge generational leap. Of course I probably did have to wait another year or two after it came out since my PC probably wasn't up to snuff yet.

I still can't wrap my head around there only being ~1½ years between Quake and Quake 2, to me it felt like they were 4 or 5 years apart.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

repiv posted:

that was a factor, but soft shadows are usually desirable for aesthetic reasons so a technique that can only model razor sharp shadows was probably doomed regardless of the patent situation

:haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Groovelord Neato posted:

UT99 is the goat and I'm not afraid to say it.

It's solidly in the top 5 of games I've spent the most time playing.

So many great mods and mutators, low gravity instagib matches are always a favorite.

Still doesn't beat Quake 3

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Make Unreal up to UT2004 open source, Epic!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LvK posted:

I just found out that there's an unused voice clip in Quake Champions that announces Commander Keen and I've never been so sad that the game wasn't a hit

It would have to be genocidal Keen from the first trilogy, not the family-friendly stun gun Keen from the later games.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bumhead posted:

For me, the absolute best thing about Steam is that it's currently our closest collective library of the history of videogames.

I was skeptical in the beginning (and preferred Doom 2 to Half-Life 2), but I quickly became a convert and now I have 700+ games on my account.

Valve have done great things for PC gaming and for gaming on Linux in particular. I recently bought a Steam Deck and its dock, and now I have gaming setup that's mostly as straight-forward and grab-it-and-go as a Nintendo Switch. It has the same mobile+docked experience, but with my entire Steam library plus anything I can install manually on Linux, it rules.

I can play RDR2 on a handheld device with surprisingly good performance, it's wild. Not to mention that basically every old-school FPS can run perfectly thanks to amazing source ports.

Stick+gyro aiming takes some getting used to, but I can see how you could become really accurate quote easily.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

david_a posted:

I haven’t really looked at the Deck closely; you can dock it and basically turn it into a normal PC?

Yes, more or less. The official dock is just a USB-C dock in a Deck-friendly form factor, and the deck is normal PC hardware with an AMD APU, 16GB DDR5 and an NVMe SSD. Any USB-C DisplayPort or HDMI dock should work (not DisplayLink).

SteamOS is based on Arch Linux, with the Steam Deck UI and configuration preinstalled. If you select Switch to Desktop in the power menu, it'll put you on a pretty standard KDE Plasma desktop.

The biggest difference from a normal Linux install is that the root directory is immutable, so you can't install software normally. Luckily most software is available as Flatpaks and can be installed through Discover, KDE's "app store".

I'm using my Deck as a laptop, with a tablet stand plus a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. It works surprisingly well, though the 7" screen is on the smallish side.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Honestly, charm and wackiness are kind of all it has going for it, and I say this as a fan.

And still the best gibs ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The most important thing about 40K lore is that they're all the baddies.

Except maybe the Orks. They're just intergalactic football hooligans on a massive never-ending bender.