Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Unironically this. Or Unreal, but that seems even more far-fetched.

Also, unrelated, but are you the person behind the Gun Bonsai mod? I'm having a lot of fun cheesing frustrating UV wads with that, cheers!

Unreal is nice, but it's honestly not that high up my list compared to stuff like UUW, Thief, Ground Control, maybe Homeworld Cataclysm...

And yes, I am the author of Gun Bonsai! Glad to hear you're enjoying it; I've been getting back into it over the holidays, but I think it's probably going to be mostly maintenance updates and not new features. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Nightdive should do Pathways Into Darkness. I have the floppies but my old mac doesn't have a functioning floppy drive any more.

Oh man, Pathways would be sick.

You don't need an old mac to play it, though; it runs fine in SheepShaver, and these days there's a port to Aleph One which is probably the most straightforward way to play it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Bishop posted:

With Lithtech's notoriously long list of issues it's had since day 1 (the big ol G logo on my Logitech mouse seeming almost to mock me here), who knows why nothing about this game seems to want to work, but it's honestly remarkable that any good games got made with this cursed engine and sad that they're saddled with it (to say nothing of the copyright nonsense surrounding Monolith's old games), particularly the ones that don't get all the attention so there's less comprehensive info on trying to fix compatibility issues.

What are the "good Lithtech games"? I mean, NOLF 1 and 2 and AvP2, obviously, I've heard good things about Shogo, and I vaguely remember Tron 2.0 being pretty alright, but what are the others?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Huh, I had no idea that Shadow of Mordor or FEAR (both of which I quite enjoyed) were later generations of Lithtech, I thought they were a different engine entirely.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

UnknownMercenary posted:

Isn't the BFG also good in Quake 2?

Q2 BFG is probably my favourite BFG (although the Q4 BFG is also pretty neat).

Doom BFG has great gunfeel but the actual mechanics are just super weird and unintuitive. Like, IIRC, when you pull the trigger:
- there's a brief delay while it charges
- the green ball comes out and drifts forward in a leisurely fashion
- when it hits something, it explodes for a wildly variable amount of damage (100-800, I think?) vs only the thing it hit, with no splash damage at all
- there's another brief delay
- then a shitload of tracers are fired in a wide fan, from the player, in whatever direction they originally fired the ball, regardless of how they've moved or where they're looking since firing it, with each tracer doing like 50-100 damage

So if you just fire it into a big room and watch the results it looks like an AoE blast weapon with a really wide radius of effect, but then you start getting weird, frustrating outcomes like firing the ball into a room and then ducking around a corner doing jack poo poo, because the ball has no splash damage and all the tracers hit the wall. I'm not sure how you're meant to figure out this behaviour in-game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know if this is effectively what happens in either nudum but I really like the idea of demons doing interdimensional experiments to try and break through to our dimension and conquer it but they accidentally summon DoomGuy who just loving rampages through their flesh halls and techbases.

I haven't played Eternal, but as far as I can tell this is basically what happens, yes. In Doom 1 they accidentally summoned Doomguy by unwisely leaving the link between Phobos and Deimos open, and learned why "do not call up that which you cannot put down" is such an important rule for summoners, and every game since has been them trying to gently caress with humanity in ways that don't attract Doomguy's attention and failing.

This also reminds me that I should play Doom64 one of these days.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

site posted:

It's only $1.64 (I see what they did there) on steam right now

I'm pretty sure I've got it already, somewhere (GOG?) the problem is finding time to play all the games I have.

Idk, my daughter's been getting into Doom, maybe we can play through 64 together sometime.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Worth noting that the fan-made PC port is in a really, really good state, and is even currently working on online play. Which isn't in a safe-for-human-consumption state, to be fair, but the work continues and I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Holy poo poo, I know how I'm celebrating the death of 2023: by blowing myself up with my own prox mines like an idiot

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've been getting into the PC port of Perfect Dark and this game still rocks incredibly hard, but the port also lets you jump directly to Perfect Agent difficulty without clearing Agent and Special Agent first and possibly I should not have taken advantage of that. The addition of mouselook is not making up for being ~20 years out of practice and it is kicking my rear end.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Now that is blasphemy.

I'm trying to think what my unpopular weapon opinion is. I really liked the ripper in UT99 and felt slighted they got rid of it in subsequent games maybe?

It's not blasphemy if it's true! The Q2 BFG is great.

I think my unpopular weapon opinion is that the UT99 Goo Gun rules.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Original System Shock is the worst HUD I've played 15 hours with. Just an ugly claustrophobic mess.

First thing you should do on starting it up is press 2, which switches from this:

To this:

And if you find the MFDs along the bottom too cluttered still, you can always hide them when you aren't using them. (You are wrong to do so, but it is an option.)

And if you're talking ugly, claustrophobic messes, even SS1's halfscreen mode has nothing on its predecessor:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally got around to playing the Ponterbee Station FM for System Shock 2 and it's pretty good! Much larger than I expected, too. Does a good job of feeling like More SS2 without just being a rehash of the base game. Voice acting is all over the place, as I expected, but Terri Brosius contributed the VA for SHODAN and, as usual, killed it.

I ended up ripping through it fairly quickly in a run-and-gun sort of mode; I played on Normal since it'd been nearly a decade since I played SS2, but perhaps that was a bit too easy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spongeh posted:

I passed on the screenshot so for what it's worth, unless I'm in on it too, it was not a tease and just some wrestling dork who lives near London, ON.

I don't think AvP2 would be my #1 choice for the next NDS remake, since there's still a bunch of LGS games waiting (SS2 is the most obvious, but Strike Force Centauri and Ultima Underworld might need it more), but it's definitely in my top 5. Loved that game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DonVincenzo posted:

Not so trial and errors (because the manual gave you a lot of them and the rest you could gather in game) but it sure wasn't meant for twitch playing. Some of the runes you could get depended on the class you chose though so you could actually hamper your progress by choosing a 'wrong' class when starting the game.

IIRC every rune can be found somewhere in-game, but you can definitely make things easier or harder starting out depending on class and initial stat rolls. And yeah, it's very much a slow methodical game that focuses more on planning and preparation than on reflexes.

I played UUW through back in...2010-2012ish? and enjoyed it a great deal, but there is definitely a serious learning curve in both the interface and the game mechanics, more so than any other LGS game. UUW2 I didn't like nearly as much, and never finished it; it felt like it relied more on the tie-in with the U7 storyline and less on its own writing and level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deakul posted:

Kids these days will never know the agony of installing games that came on 6+ discs.

The true nadir is games that came on a huge stack of discs and required you to constantly switch between them while playing, like Riven. Thank god that later got a DVD release.

Honourable mention to FF7PC, which came on three discs and required minimal disc swapping to play but, for reasons which remain obscure to me, also took two and a half days to install.