Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One of my favorite mods for UT99 was called Zombie Mod or something like that.

Basically it gave each player a certain amount of lives and then an ever increasing amount of low polygon zombies would start spawning in. The person who was the last to run out of lives was the winner.

What was so fun is that as the match went on, there would be literally hundreds of these weird looking zombies in every room, which made blowing them up with the flak cannon ever so satisfying.

But then the makers updated the mod and added in custom models for the zombies, along with zombie brutes and other creatures. I never liked the changes and lost interest in it quickly. Sadly, I could never find the original version for downloaded after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zero Star posted:

Try punching a barrel in Berserk mode... ;)

Grabbing the Lost Souls out of the air is better.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is there anyway to set it in Brutal doom so that you don't automatically switch to the chainsaw when you run out of mini-gun ammo?

It's got me killed many a time. :(

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As much as the Quake 2 shows it age, it still plays a hell of a lot better today than Sin does even though they use the same engine.

I tried to replay through Sin recently and I don't even know how I beat it when it first came out. Almost all enemies have hit scan weapons which chew you up, while pretty much all of your own guns have piss poor damage. The level designs were sort of impressive back in the day, but now are just confusing. I ended up just using the cheat menu to spawn a helicopter mini-gun with infinite ammo. Even then it was a pain to get through to the end.

The only thing still really fun about the game is the first level, which has tons of easter eggs and lets you do fun things like hack into the game villain's bank account and transfer all of her money into your own. I remember this was the level that they used for the game demo so I guess they front loaded it, since after that level there are only a few interesting things to find or do outside of the mission objectives.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 21, 2011

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Quake 2: First internet multiplayer experience. I can still remember my first frag: killing someone with a super shotgun as he came around the corner. That was when we had to play on the single player levels and you couldn't see what weapon was in another player's hands.

Similar for me too. First internet game I ever played was Quake 2 using Heat.Net

I still remember the match. I had no clue what I was doing, but managed to join a deathmatch game with someone named "HoneyGuns"

At the time I believed I was playing against a girl due to the cutesy name.

Years on the internet have taught me much.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I've been playing through the TNT map pack for Doom, and I've been trying to find all the secrets in the third map, Wormhole.

Wormhole is a unique map in that you can clear the level and get to the exit switch very quickly, but when the stats screen appears, it shows that you've only killed like 30% of the enemies.

The gimmick to the map is that there's a hidden gate which teleports you to an almost exact copy of the map that contains more monsters.

Now while exploring with no-clip, I found a weird thing. Outside the boundaries of the map there's a room with no entrance or exit that contains 20 teleport pads - ten white on one side, 10 red on the other.

When stepped on, these pads just send you to random parts in the map.

At first I thought this was just a work around by the mapper to have monsters spawn in randomly to parts of the map. But if you go to the room right off the start of the level, there are no monsters in it.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 16, 2011

Vakal
May 11, 2008

H2Omelon posted:

All of the deathmatch spawn points the level are in that room.

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Deathwish has been working great for me, with the only exception being that it is really hard to activate buttons and switches. It seems you have to be at the exact right distance and angle to trigger them.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does Russian Overkill not work with Skulltag? I keep getting texture errors when it tries to launch.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Vaos posted:

Skulltag use a gzdoom version which is from 10 years ago, which doesn't have all the features current (g)zdoom has, so it can't run all mods. There's an alpha version of Skulltag running with a more recent version, but I didn't try it.

zdoom was getting errors as well, but gzdoom runs it fine. Thanks.

In case anyone is wondering if the mod is worth playing, it raises the health and armor maximum to 999% each. You soon realize that the monster's damage has not change at all, so the high levels are only there the help you survive the splash damage of your own weapons.

You also soon realize that that is not nearly enough health or armor to do so.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That Ignorant Sap posted:

That's the belt-fed auto shotgun. Will tear thru a group of anything in seconds if you can keep it steady.

If you disable mouse aiming in the game options menu, it removes the kick-up on all of the guns, making them even more ridiculously overpowered.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The only way to continue is to use the Yamato Quantum jump.

Chug a few bottles of vodka and you will have enough life to survive anything, even setting off a nuke at your feet.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I tried the map and immediately turned on no-clip and picked a direction.

About 2 minutes later I hit the Wolfenstein levels. It was kind of surreal.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Haha what the hell game is that clip at the end from?

C&C: Tiberian Sun.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been trying to play through Blake Stone again and while it's still fun, it's been hard going. I wish there was something for it in the vein of zdoom that gave it better mouse/keyboard support.

Also, does anyone have a link for the dedicated "Mods" thread that was kicking around games a few months ago. I can't seem to find it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has anyone played Powerslave (Exhumed) much?

I tried the PC version a few years back and found it too clunky. But recently I've been playing the PSX version on my PSP and have been loving it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Doom 64, as well as the PSX version of Doom, used this awesomely creepy ambient music. It really gave the games a totally different feel from original Doom.

Defiantly. Give this track a listen to when it's dark outside sometime.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

As far as I can remember (it's been a while), Absolution is pretty drat close to the original, and in any case it's drat fun.

The only problem with Absolution is that the Doom 2 physics don't exactly match up with the Doom 64 physics which were used when the maps were designed.

Where you notice this most is in areas where you have to "jump" between platforms. With Doom 64 EX it is easy, but in Absolution it can be frustratingly hard.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wish that the Stream release of Duke 3D would have included the PSX version exclusive levels. That would have been something special.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 22, 2013

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

After buying the rott pack, I decided to play some Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold.

Holy poo poo what a weird game that is.

Are you saying your corporate office isn't littered with torture chambers filled with alien mutants and boxes of human limbs?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hexen did however have an excellent first level.

I was just going to say that most people that have fond memories of Hexen 1 and 2 probably never played past the second stage (or stage set in H2's case).

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tecman posted:

Love me some SiN.

Same. I played the absolute hell out demo, finding every little hidden thing like hacking into the bank's computer and transferring all of the main villain's money into your own account. :banjo:

Unfortunately though, the later levels in the full game didn't have near as much interactive stuff in them and got very grindy when enemies like the heavy weapon mutants started to show up.

I did appreciate how some things that you did in earlier levels could effect the paths available in later ones. That's not something common in FPS even today.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Can anyone think of a great/classic game that has really awful music?

There are plenty of bad games that have good music, but I can't think of many that are the opposite.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Luckily, the dynamite in Blood is probably the most satisfying explosive weapon in any FPS ever.

Yet somehow the dynamite in Redneck Rampage is one of the worst.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Install Windows posted:

The only consistent advice is to try to notice areas that might look to have oddly thick walls for hidden areas, but that doesn't help in many levels.

Or turn off the music so you can hear walls opening up. But no one does that.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I played countless hours of Renegade on lan and loved the single player campaign. :tviv:

The opening stage in Renegade with the tank and orca assault on the Nod base protected by obelisks is still one of my favorite single-player gaming moments.

Too bad the rest of the campaign didn't keep up that energy.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Kins posted:

The Steam versions of Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior Classic are $1 on the Humble Bundle this week, if you don't mind also getting some kind of lame-looking indie films along with it.

I'm curious how you found this. It's not linked on their main page as the weekly bundle is for pop cap games and even their update blog doesn't mentioned it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
UT3 played well, it just didn't need the tacked on single player storyline.

That said though, it was still much better than Unreal II: The Awakening's storyline.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Install Windows posted:

SiN was the real successor to Duke Nukem 3D, unfortunately that franchise got killed by the way the sequel was done.

Blood was the real successor to Duke Nukem 3D, unfortunately that franchise got killed by the way the sequel was done.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Overbite posted:

I've been playing Soldier of Fortune lately and apart from some hilariously bad textures it still holds up.

If you're not shooting every enemy in the balls then you're not playing right.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
On the topic of Doom 2 WAD recommendations, my favorite is the PSX version of Final Doom TC for PC.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57957-psx-doom-final-doom-tc-version-2-1-now-released/

You get the core maps from TNT and Plutonia, and the Master Levels which are well designed and not gimmicky.

But the best part is the custom soundtrack that replaces the generic rock with much more atmospheric music which in its own way
makes Doom more of a horror shooter than just pure action.

The only (possible) downside is the lack of Archviles, Mancubi and the Spider Mastermind Boss due to the memory limitations of the original version.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Heads up that Summer Games Done Quick will be doing a speed run of Doom 64 in about 15 mins. Also there's a Heretic run for tomorrow I believe.

I also highly recommened catching the 100% Quake run by CubeFace. I've watched him practice it and it is insane.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All Blood 2 needs in order to be a half-way enjoyable game is just a user mod that triples the damage of all non-bullet based weapons.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Thyrork posted:

But my god, the dynamite is the best weapon by far. Its just crazy fun. :allears:

I'll always find it interesting how Blood's dynamite is so satisfying to use, yet the dynamite in Redneck Rampage is so unbelievably lovely.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

The PS1 shot is an emulator that applies advanced scaling and texture effects so that games can be rendered in much higher than native resolution, you could probably get that effect with a texture pack and actually turning down some of the settings in a modern Quake 2 port.

Or go in the other direction and jump right to Quake 2 redone in Quake 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvIoZEqvpYE

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best version of Plutonia and TNT in my opinion are the ones from the PSX's Final Doom.

All the core maps are there, while the more gimmicky ones dropped. And due to limitations, the high end monsters are used much more sparingly.

Oh, and the ambient soundtrack fits the mood much better.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

It's set like 400 years before the books and I'm honestly not sure how much you get from having read them.

Very little besides recognizing the names of some locations and enemies like the Trollocs and Myrddraal.

Also, speedruns of the game are great due to how easily the fireball and other spells can be used to bypass huge sections of the maps.

http://www.twitch.tv/seamergency/c/4902729

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Duke 3D monsters are retarded even by early FPS monster standards.

Counterpoint to this though are the Kamikaze Drones. Those fuckers will actively swerve to avoid incoming projectiles aimed at them. I can't think of any other enemy in a 2D FPS than has enough self-awareness to dodge anything.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speaking of Blood, about a year or two ago there was a big community released map pack/campaign that was pretty well made. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Prenton posted:

Deathwish?

That looks to be the one. Thanks.